• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT24| we believe that we will win - it's just a reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.
But there will be...

article_img.jpg

He looks like he's trying to hold his own hand back like Dr Strangelove

Linius

Siggie at least scored when it counted for us. Other than that he's been pretty useless. But that stat graph is a lot of bullshit, let's just be clear about that.

Gentle Rodriguez, who do you have on your wishlist for next season mate? Let's email Frank with a shopping list.

Mastadon

Banned
Not sure if posted:

@TonyBarretTimes
Liverpool hope to conclude a deal to sign Lazar Markovic this week. They're also set to discuss personal terms with Divock Origi.

The reason we didn't win as much when Ruud was there was because our defense wasn't up to scratch and then we transitioned to the young Rooney and Ronaldo era. Some of the squad was kind of weak towards the latter years.

L1NETT

Bar a few teams Eredivisie is around, what, championship standard? I'm down for watching some more of it

I might be mad but is there a manager/coach called Harry Van der Ham?

Remember the name from somewhere

Linius

Bar a few teams Eredivisie is around, what, championship standard? I'm down for watching some more of it

According to wiki he's currently working at FC Utrecht, Nyx club.

Siggie at least scored when it counted for us. Other than that he's been pretty useless. But that stat graph is a lot of bullshit, let's just be clear about that.

Gentle Rodriguez, who do you have on your wishlist for next season mate? Let's email Frank with a shopping list.

He's been crucial in some big games, I'll give him that.

Dunno, but I we really need some players. I'm not sold on Zivkovic+Milik only for strikers as one hasn't proven himself yet and the other is only 17(but I have really high hopes for him in just 2 years), but I don't know who we could get. A right winger is crucial though, I want Schöne on midfield.

Let's just hope to god nobody buys Blind, we have no backups and Poulsen is dead.

sohois

Lex Immers is high on that list...

He's not an average striker. He is the worst striker I have seen in over a decade.

He is better. Absolutely.

Exactly.

That's nice. As mentioned already, the graph is essentially an accurate measure of chance conversion. It is not "good players at the top, bad players at the bottom". It does not show the ExpG figure, as I noted, it does not show strikers that may be good at creating lots of good chances for themselves.

It does not show passing ability, it does not show expected assists, it does not show key passes per 90. It does not show dribbling ability. It does not show defensive contribution, it does not show interceptions and tackles.

All the graph shows, again, is how many of their chances a player scored versus how many they should have scored. Some players will finish averagely but be very poor at making chances or contributing any other way. Some players will finish very poorly but still end up looking good because of external factors. It is not a complicated graph.

confuziz

Banned

I think the Championship indication is quite accurate for teams like NAC, ADO, Heracles, Go Ahead, Dordrecht, Willem II, Excelsior and Cambuur yes.

Groningen/Heerenveen/AZ/Zwolle/Utrecht are like relegation material in the PL.

L1NETT

According to wiki he's currently working at FC Utrecht, Nyx club.

A quick google tells me they have a slightly smaller stadium than we do, and a squad of players I don't recognise at all. Barazite was Arsenal iirc and Van Helzen was some kid who United always booted out on FM

I'll cheer for them

Go Utrecht go

I think the Championship indication is quite accurate for teams like NAC, ADO, Heracles, Go Ahead, Dordrecht, Willem II, Excelsior and Cambuur yes.

Groningen/Heerenveen/AZ/Zwolle/Utrecht are like relegation material in the PL.

Sounds alright. Fairly competitive bar the big boys? Or is there some team who gets 10 points and a pat on the head

Assuming you're not joking, I'm merely an interested observer of stats analysis rather than someone who does any of the work himself.

My view of Pelle comes from this article from 11tegen11 (a good stats blog mostly focused on dutch football): http://11tegen11.net/2014/01/15/how-to-scout-goal-scoring-talent/

Here's the relevant part:
Top-scorers-plot-Eredivisie-2013-14-546x1024.png

The graph is showing expected goals versus actual goals scored. As you can see, Pelle is one of the worst at converting his chances, his red bar indicates he is more than 2 standard deviations from the mean. He got a lot of goals for Feyenoord because they created so many good chances for him, he is very poor at actually putting them away.

Now, of course a striker does a lot of work creating chances as well, so it may be that Pelle is very good at making shooting opportunities for himself, but given his poor records at previous clubs, it is likely that his good goalscoring is mostly down to Feyenoord, not Pelle.

Dat Piazon. Why did they all of a sudden send him to the b team, silly club.

Also lol De Ridder, we bought him.

confuziz

Banned
A quick google tells me they have a slightly smaller stadium than we do, and a squad of players I don't recognise at all. Barazite was Arsenal iirc and Van Helzen was some kid who United always booted out on FM

I'll cheer for them

Go Utrecht go

Sounds alright. Fairly competitive bar the big boys? Or is there some team who gets 10 points and a pat on the head

No, if you look at the table from last year you will see everyone is pretty close to each other. Only PSV/Ajax/Feyenoord/Twente and Vitesse can really make a difference. Maybe ADO next year too, they have a new (rich) owner.

Oh wow I didn't know Copenhagen had to resort to buying trash strikers.

Well tbh he doesn't really need to be the one scoring the goals, just the goal who will do unpredictable stuff for us and take on players, which we desperately lack at the moment. I might just go see him in a few days, in our test match against Lyon.

Linius

He's been crucial in some big games, I'll give him that.

Dunno, but I we really need some players. I'm not sold on Zivkovic+Milik only for strikers as one hasn't proven himself yet and the other is only 17(but I have really high hopes for him in just 2 years), but I don't know who we could get. A right winger is crucial though, I want Schöne on midfield.

Let's just hope to god nobody buys Blind, we have no backups and Poulsen is dead.

Poulsen is dead? He's leaving :p

And Zivkovic/Milik is a big gamble yeah. Think we need at least a third striker in case of injuries. I have no clue who though. On the right we have El Ghazi who I think can make a step up to the first team as the season goes on. I hope we get Ziyech as a first choice. I think he can do well for us. And Muric of course is also a right winger. Who can also play on the left btw. We have quite some trouble on the left too at the moment with no Fischer for six months. Only Kishna for that position basically. Maybe Meleg if he can step up. We should get Kostic.

And indeed, pray to the seven Gods we don't lose Blind. We can have a solid midfield with Blind, Schöne and Klaassen. Serero and Duarte as back ups. Might wanna get another quality midfielder though. Boilesen, Veltman, Moisander and Van Rhijn in the back. With Viergever, Denswil, Dijks and Ligeon as most important back ups.

Zabojnik

Haha, don't expect to see Gilmour and Waters go on tour again. Would be nice though. I really enjoyed Waters The Wall gigs.

Yeah, the latest The Wall tour was amazing. Audiovisual overdose. I'm still waiting for that fucking blu-ray release. Move it, Waters.

Waters isn't involved, btw. Which is just as good, tbh.

I don't expect a tour either. :( Although ... maybe ... in a few selected cities, like in 2006 ... I'd be willing to pay up to 1000€ to see Gilmour live at this point.

Poulsen is dead? He's leaving :p

And Zivkovic/Milik is a big gamble yeah. Think we need at least a third striker in case of injuries. I have no clue who though. On the right we have El Ghazi who I think can make a step up to the first team as the season goes on. I hope we get Ziyech as a first choice. I think he can do well for us. And Muric of course is also a right winger. Who can also play on the left btw. We have quite some trouble on the left too at the moment with no Fischer for six months. Only Kishna for that position basically. Maybe Meleg if he can step up. We should get Kostic.

And indeed, pray to the seven Gods we don't lose Blind. We can have a solid midfield with Blind, Schöne and Klaassen. Serero and Duarte as back ups. Might wanna get another quality midfielder though. Boilesen, Veltman, Moisander and Van Rhijn in the back. With Viergever, Denswil, Dijks and Ligeon as most important back ups.

For some reason I remember Poulsen getting another 1-year extension, that's good then.

With Kishna, Meleg, Muric, Zivkovic, El Ghazi and Denswil we have a lot of players that just aren't ready yet, so we'll have to plug that hole without hindering their development. We're good on defense and midfield but our attack is filled with a ton of talented players without any of them being ready for CL or even Eredivisie besides some exceptions.

Ziyech would be awesome, Kostic would also be very valuable for 2 years or so until our wonderkids get online.

I think it's time for a good Markovic YouTube binge.

Tell me he's faster than Sanchez
Tell me he's more muscular than Shaqiri
Tell me he's younger than Shaw
Tell me he's got more children than Sterling
Tell me he's got more magic than Suarez
Tell me he's blacker than Sakho
Tell me he's balder than Skrtel
Tell me he's got better hair than Suso
Tell me he's a dancer like Sturridge
Tell me he's got tears from Lambda

Tc91

Yeah, the latest The Wall tour was amazing. Audiovisual overdose. I'm still waiting for that fucking blu-ray release. Move it, Waters.

I don't expect a tour either. :( Although ... maybe ... in a few selected cities, like in 2006 ... I'd be willing to pay up to 1000€ to see Gilmour live at this point.

Best concert I've ever been to without a doubt.

Saw The Wall at the M.E.N arena in Manchester a few years ago. Incredible.

Zabojnik

Eh, he's alright.

Maybe he has the biggest dick from all of them?

Linius

That's a bit much. But Gilmour is in the category I'd be willing to pay up to around 100 euros for. Leonard Cohen tier.

For some reason I remember Poulsen getting another 1-year extension, that's good then.

With Kishna, Meleg, Muric, Zivkovic, El Ghazi and Denswil we have a lot of players that just aren't ready yet, so we'll have to plug that hole without hindering their development. We're good on defense and midfield but our attack is filled with a ton of talented players without any of them being ready for CL or even Eredivisie besides some exceptions.

Ziyech would be awesome, Kostic would also be very valuable for 2 years or so until our wonderkids get online.

Considering Fischer is one of the most experienced attackers we have :p

I wonder who De Boer got his eye on. There's only one option here, The Hunter comes home!

Zabojnik

That's a bit much. But Gilmour is in the category I'd be willing to pay up to around 100 euros for. Leonard Cohen tier.

Gilmour is my favourite guitarist. Please understand. Okay, maybe not 1000€, but I'm flying wherever he's playing, that much I'm certain of. :p

Linius

Gilmour is my favourite guitarist. Please understand. Okay, maybe not 1000€, but I'm flying wherever he's playing, that much I'm certain of. :p

I traveled to Paris to see the Arctic Monkeys last year (for the second time that year), I won't argue :p

I think I don't even wanna know how much money I've spend on gigs and festivals. But the good memories and great moments are worth it.

Get excited for fat unmotivated Van der Vaart instead.

Yeah, looks like it's very possible. I dunno, we have a solid midfield without him. But on the other hand he knows the club, is experienced and still has some class. For the right price I'd take him in a sort of Poulsen role.

King_Moc

Banned

Anyone charging ridiculous ticket prices automatically goes on my "they're shit" list, regardless of the quality of their music. Not including touts, obviously. Though I wish bands would follow glastonbury's approach and just stop those pricks being an issue.

Best concert I've ever been to without a doubt.

Saw The Wall at the M.E.N arena in Manchester a few years ago. Incredible.

I saw the dark side of the moon performed by Waters 5 years ago or so, it was alright, but i was kind of angry as the crepes place had closed at Roskilde Festival and I was really hungry. I wanted to eat my crepes with nutella in while listening to it.

Linius

Anyone charging ridiculous ticket prices automatically goes on my "they're shit" list, regardless of the quality of their music. Not including touts, obviously. Though I wish bands would follow glastonbury's approach and just stop those pricks being an issue.

I dunno, on the one hand I to think it's a shitload of money and too much. But then I just really want to see some of these lads play and I just get ticks. Leonard Cohen, Paul McCartney, Neil Young and Roger Waters are all in that category. Leonard being the most expensive one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom