• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT24| we believe that we will win - it's just a reflex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

Özil would be great with Sanchez. That would be fantastic.

Going to be very interesting to see how that one plays out. It sounds like Arsenal have done the groundwork in order to sign him but Liverpool could really just hold the entire thing up.

Suppose it depends on whether they can convince Sanchez to join them instead. On paper I can't see why not but then things are never that simple.

Can't see how Liverpool would be a more attractive destination than us ATM. It's one thing if they still had Suarez and were signing him, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Linius

uFg0H7W.png

He lives

Won't be playing any football before 2015 though :(

Arnie

Can't see how Liverpool would be a more attractive destination than us ATM. It's one thing if they still had Suarez and were signing him, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Over the last 12 months you've not been known for your clairvoyance m8

jtb

Banned
if we miss out on Sanchez, I'd love for us to go after Griezmann. lots of decent upgrades for our squad available, even if the mythical "world class striker" remains a little elusive. no excuse for Wenger not to spend.

Lightning

Banned
Surprised Remy hasn't already been wrapped up. Regardless of other deals, I think he's a decent addition to your squad. His wages wouldn't be that much, would they?
Joel Campbell is in Remy's way of getting to Arsenal. Remy comes where does that leave Campbell? Joel is quite good, been impressed with him.

Well they just finished above you.

Of course they lose Suarez but I doubt Sanchez is sitting there thinking I'm not as good as the guy I'm replacing.

Also it's Liverpool. I don't want to go down a whole "bigger club" argument but from where I'm sitting Liverpool, a strong and growing Liverpool, are amongst the very best clubs in the world.

As ever wages and things like that will have a big say and I don't know what either club can do there. But really it's a matter of ensuring Sanchez wants Arsenal solely. That's a little different.

Feorax

All depends on how much Barca want Suarez. If they can't get Suarez in then I can't see Barca letting Sanchez go.

Unfortunately, I suspect Arsenal's chances of signing Sanchez rest entirely on what we're willing to accept in exchange for Suarez.

wedward

if we miss out on Sanchez, I'd love for us to go after Griezmann. lots of decent upgrades for our squad available, even if the mythical "world class striker" remains a little elusive. no excuse for Wenger not to spend.

Id be very happy with griezmann

He looks absolutely brilliant. I think he is more suited to what Arsenal need personally but I was basing that on Arsenal still looking for a centre forward.

Griezmann looks great anyway. Surprised he isn't starting for France.

Wilbur

Banned
He looks absolutely brilliant. I think he is more suited to what Arsenal need personally but I was basing that on Arsenal still looking for a centre forward.

Griezmann looks great anyway. Surprised he isn't starting for France.

He has started two of their games, Giroud the other two. Can see him starting against Germany considering Giroud's performance today.

If Arsenal don't get Sanchez and they're able to move quickly for Griezmann instead it's a hell of a consolation prize.

Griezmann walking away like he scored that goal in the match today was hilarious.

You could see him saying it wasn't him :lol

Linius

Really? Must have missed that, was eating dinner at the time. I just saw him running away cheering and it looked like he just scored the goal at that moment. Until I saw the replay :p

GQman2121

Banned
Joel Campbell is in Remy's way of getting to Arsenal. Remy comes where does that leave Campbell? Joel is quite good, been impressed with him.

Honestly forgot he was an Arsenal player. He's has had a good WC so it'll be interesting to see how he's used in the rotation.

EmiPrime

OptaJean
‏@OptaJean
1 - Il y a eu une seule passe entre Giroud et Benzema en première mi-temps, du madrilène vers le Gunner. Panne.

Wilbur

Banned
Really? Must have missed that, was eating dinner at the time. I just saw him running away cheering and it looked like he just scored the goal at that moment. Until I saw the replay :p

Yeah he kinda just walked off and then was wiggling his finger or something lool

So apparently Liverpool weren't told of Suarez's plan to apologise?

Suppose they don't have to be informed but it really does sound like he's just decided he's done with Liverpool now.

The twat.

jtb

Banned

We should just keep Campbell around as a squad player and ship Sanogo out on loan instead. Sanogo's nowhere near being ready and if he ever gets over his injury problems, it would be good for him to get some steady games so he can actually score a goal.

wedward

Honestly I could see Sanchez choosing Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal. Good reasons to join all three clubs.

I don't think Barca trying to sign Suarez is going to stop Sanchez going where he wants. It sounds like they are trying to clear out the wages more than anything.

Sanchez is valued at 35. They sold Fabregas for 33. Don't think its impossible for them to just outright by Suarez.

Wilbur

Banned
Honestly I could see Sanchez choosing Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal. Good reasons to join all three clubs.

I don't think Barca trying to sign Suarez is going to stop Sanchez going where he wants. It sounds like they are trying to clear out the wages more than anything.

Sanchez is valued at 35. They sold Fabregas for 33. Don't think its impossible for them to just outright by Suarez.

But they won't. Regardless of whether they can sell Sanchez for 35m, a 50m+ player transfer looks better than an 80m transfer on paper.

Feorax

So apparently Liverpool weren't told of Suarez's plan to apologise?

Suppose they don't have to be informed but it really does sound like he's just decided he's done with Liverpool now.

The twat.

He's very much trying to go renegade again. Seems to happen whenever he's around the NT.

Regardless, means nothing to us at the moment. Only thing that matters to us until the 31st August is what Barca offer. If it's less than his buyout clause, no deal. He can sulk as much as he wants.

Barzul

Well they just finished above you.

Of course they lose Suarez but I doubt Sanchez is sitting there thinking I'm not as good as the guy I'm replacing.

Also it's Liverpool. I don't want to go down a whole "bigger club" argument but from where I'm sitting Liverpool, a strong and growing Liverpool, are amongst the very best clubs in the world.

As ever wages and things like that will have a big say and I don't know what either club can do there. But really it's a matter of ensuring Sanchez wants Arsenal solely. That's a little different.

If the "bigger club" notion is based off past history, it's a weak one then. Because it has been consistently shown that recent history is all that matters in football, that and money. Sanchez will go where he has the better chance of winning trophies and gets paid better. It's why if Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City go head to head for a target and offer the same amount. City will 9 times out of 10 come out on top. I think out of us and Liverpool it's us, but it doesn't matter what I think it's what Sanchez thinks that matters.

Barzul

They will if they have to though, remember they are banned from the transfer market for 2 years. They'll go as far as they need too imo.

Feorax

There were rumours that his new contract stipulated any deal for Suarez had to be completed by mid July (presumably we'd have discretion to waive that) to make sure we had enough time to re-invest.

If true, I could see us being much more lenient if we got a player in the deal that could be seen as a "replacement".

Liverpool-gaf, assuming you sell Suarez and sign Sanchez and Lallana, what is your starting lineup?

-----------------------Mignolet-----------------------
-Flanagan---(New CB)---Sakho---(Moreno)-
-----------------------Gerrard------------------------
----------Henderson--------------------------------
------------------------------------Lallana-----------
-Sanchez---------------------------------Sterling-
---------------------Sturridge-----------------------

Bench: Reina (ffs), Skrtel, Enrique, Allen, Coutinho, (Markovic), Lambert

Barzul

I'd much rather Sanchez over Greizmann. Seems more capable of the spectacular. We need that. Ramsey can't do it all himself.

Arnie

The Sanchez, Lallana, and Markovic deals basically mean we can have seven or so players that can come into our frontline and offer enough individual quality to win a game of premier league football, as opposed to the 4 we had last season.

(Sterling, Sturridge, Lallana, Coutinho, Lambert, Sanchez, Markovic)

Wilbur

Banned
5th place confirmed with that team.

2nd place confirmed with an equivalent team, really. And they'll make more signings than that.

The Sanchez, Lallana, and Markovic deals basically mean we can have seven or so players that can come into our frontline and offer enough individual quality to win a game of premier league football, as opposed to the 4 we had last season.

(Sterling, Sturridge, Lallana, Coutinho, Lambert, Sanchez, Markovic)

Lambert's gonna be big off the bench I think.

+We're likely to go higher than Arsenal in wages
+We had a better league season last year
+Rodgers is young and his palms are made of dreams and silk
+Suarez means Barca would rather sell to us than Arsenal

-Arsenal can match us in wages if they choose
-Wenger is a more prominent manager who players would like to play under
-London is more attractive than Liverpool
-Arsenal have been near the top for much longer than us, and have a much better domestic record in recent history

That about covers it, no? Plenty of legit reasons to choose either of us, if it comes down to it.

Will answer for them (pls)

Mig; Johnson, Skrtel, Sakho, Enrique; Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana; Sanchez, Sturridge, Sterling

i'd like to think we'd have signed Moreno for LB and another RB and they would be in the first team. I'm also unsure of Gerrard starting, I think he should be an impact sub.

Barzul

Shoot if we're doing lineups. With Sanchez, Debuchy and Scheniderlin.

Szcz, Debuchy, Kos, Merte, Gibbs, Shcneiderlin, Ramsey, Sanchez, Ozil, Theo, Giroud.

That team would wreck shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom