• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQman2121

Banned
Two hours out from game time. I hope the Dutch destroy Brazil so badly that they'll honestly consider renaming Brasilia, New New Amsterdam, and establish trading posts at the ports in Salvador, Rio and Santos.

Maddox

I'm as much in favour of sacking Hodgson as the next guy, but really, what then? The pool of English managers is just shocking. And the England job sure as fuck isn't something to be handed to some young guy to 'see how they do'. There just aren't enough games, enough time for someone to really learn anything on the job. I've seen a fair few suggestions of Neville, but I really think he ought to actually go and manage somewhere first instead of judging him on punditry.

So that again leaves a foreign manager. But even here, your faced with the same problem, what manager would even be available? All of the successful managers are tied up with clubs and other nations, it would only be some mediocre manager they end up getting anyway, another Sven. There's no way the public would accept another foreign manager unless they are really the best of the best, the only managers I could see would be Mourinho or Guardiola.

I wouldn't mind Martinez having a go at it.

I'm as much in favour of sacking Hodgson as the next guy, but really, what then? The pool of English managers is just shocking. And the England job sure as fuck isn't something to be handed to some young guy to 'see how they do'. There just aren't enough games, enough time for someone to really learn anything on the job. I've seen a fair few suggestions of Neville, but I really think he ought to actually go and manage somewhere first instead of judging him on punditry.

So that again leaves a foreign manager. But even here, your faced with the same problem, what manager would even be available? All of the successful managers are tied up with clubs and other nations, it would only be some mediocre manager they end up getting anyway, another Sven. There's no way the public would accept another foreign manager unless they are really the best of the best, the only managers I could see would be Mourinho or Guardiola.

Klopp when he gets tired of the Munopoly. Believe.

L1NETT

Steve+McClaren+Southampton+v+Nottingham+Forest+Z7YnyNSxbGnl.jpg

Probably try and get some foreigners in on loan

:p

But yeah, I don't think that's a terrible shout. No way in hell I can see him doing it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Don't see any reason why they would sign Jan Oblak and Memo.. but it sounds like Benfica are playing hard ball maybe despite Atletico exercising Oblak's release clause and him passing the Atletico medical.

According to sources close to Oblak, after additional meetings between Atletico and Benfica, deal is done and he will be officially announced on Monday

Meanwhile, Benfica is looking at another young goalkeeper from Slovenia - Vid Belec (reserve at Inter)

3Sixty

He'll want 1st team football (do you lot still have Boruc and Davis?) and City will want no less than £10m.

Unless you give us Fonte and £8m. We need a CB.

Heard we open bid around £7m, tbh I don't really want him. Would rather keep Boruc for another season and bring someone in to take over next season.

No chance we get rid of Fonte.

King_Moc

Banned
Get Brenden in after his season's escapades in CL.

In a Keegan-esque dual role, maybe. Keegan's ineptitude soured everyone on the idea though, as they thought his failure meant it couldn't be done. No - Keegan is just a terrible manager.

Failing that, I think Martinez or Simeone are the next best choices. I don't give a shit if they're English or not.

rodvik

Pretty sure Big Phil is going to be available very soon. He is not perfect but a massive step up from the likes of Hodgson.

rodvik

In a Keegan-esque dual role, maybe. Keegan's ineptitude soured everyone on the idea though, as they thought his failure meant it couldn't be done. No - Keegan is just a terrible manager.

Failing that, I think Martinez or Simeone are the next best choices. I don't give a shit if they're English or not.

An Argentinian leading the England squad to world cup glory would be fine by me.

sohois

Pretty sure Big Phil is going to be available very soon. He is not perfect but a massive step up from the likes of Hodgson.

He already snubbed the England job once, I certainly don't see them going for him again after the Brazil disaster. There's just no way the FA will hire another foreign manager for a long time.

What does the FA pay the England manager? I'm assuming it's a fuckton.

I recall Sven was getting paid like £6million a year, and that was 10 years ago. They probably offer more even than most top clubs offer.

Mastadon

Banned
I think it should be a thread rule that you can't post a twitter transfer rumour unless it comes directly from Craig Sainsbury.

rodvik

He already snubbed the England job once, I certainly don't see them going for him again after the Brazil disaster. There's just no way the FA will hire another foreign manager for a long time.

I recall Sven was getting paid like £6million a year, and that was 10 years ago. They probably offer more even than most top clubs offer.

He seemed to leave the door wide open a year or so ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ing-down-england-job-still-hurts-8482048.html

"Although England have found stability under Roy Hodgson, Scolari knows all about the unpredictable nature of international football.

Should the Three Lions be on the lookout for a new coach in the future, it appears Scolari would be interested in taking over the reigns.

"Who knows what will happen. One day, maybe," Scolari added with a smile.

"I wish all the best for the English players and their manager on their path to innovation.""

Jarnet87

Martinez would be better then any current English manager, but I feel like he'd still play it a little safe because he coaches in England. If he doesn't take certain players, or if he plays a certain style the media might crush him and make it difficult to get a good manager job after his England stint.

GQman2121

Banned
God damn, Capello is a business mastermind!

It's a tough position that is going to be scrutinized no matter what decisions you make. But the squad is young enough to be molded and take on the philosophies of a manager that is allowed to stick around long enough. I'm not sure Roy is that person though.

inky

Christ Laboured gets paid more than the Mexico coach.

Herrera's wages are low because he basically was contracted for the qualifying matches against NZ, and the WC only (after 3 other coaches had been sacked). FMF is no stranger to throwing money out the window.

I still think it's a travesty any of these people get paid that much.

Maradona really thought that? video?

He never called him a ballboy (at least that isn't in any of all those videos flying around), that was just the press making shit up. He did however make a fool of himself saying he didn't know who Muller was, although it seemed half jokingly, but it's hard to know with that obese coke addict.

Blablurn

Maradona really thought that? video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebJfxXXcz_U

He never called him a ballboy (at least that isn't in any of all those videos flying around), that was just the press making shit up. He did however make a fool of himself saying he didn't know who Muller was, although it seemed half jokingly, but it's hard to know with that obese coke addict.

he called him a ball boy afterwards in an interview

Meier

I have a sneaking suspicion that Roberto Martinez might be the coach of the USMNT at some point down the line. He's been a TV pundit for multiple tournaments now here on ESPN (including this most recent WC).. could be sort of a long term grooming.

Christ Laboured gets paid more than the Mexico coach.

Mexico went through quite a few coaches in the lead-up to the World Cup with Herrera being hired at the tail end of qualifying. He was just extended until 2018.. I'd imagine he got a significant raise.

Linius

Only Messi and C. Rolando have a better caps/goals ratio than Pelle (amongs strikers with more than 20 goals per season). What a GOAT, 3Sixty.

Bnw6jxCCIAEbcWU.png

Five players in that list who have played in the Eredivisie (some still are) before moving up in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom