• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Sanchez, Gnabry, Ox, Podolski, Cazorla and (theoretically Arsene because every other fucking club has inverted wingers) Walcott could all play on the left if needs be.

Hindle

Banned
Draxler would be a great buy for any of the top 4. He will be word class sooner rather then later, and his sell on fee will be huge, for when Real and Barca come calling.

Pachimari

The first line of our formation that were fine after the season was our defense.

All of midfield, attack and goalkeeper posts will see changes but of course not the defense. Carvajal is fine, and so are Pepe and Sergio Ramos. We just won La Décima, of course they're fine.

Arbeloa have done well but Carvajal is simply better now. He have great runs upfield and marked his man very well in the later Champions League games. He is stepping up.

Q3TioBg.gif

When I first watched that film I though it was utter garbage but over the years I've come to love it, some of the special effects are too funny :D

Salvadora

Sanchez, Gnabry, Ox, Podolski, Cazorla and (theoretically Arsene because every other fucking club has inverted wingers) Walcott could all play on the left if needs be.
Exactly.

We have a wealth of options on the flanks.

I'm much more concerned about the pursuit of a DM and CB. Going through another season with 3 is pure madness.

jtb

Banned
The silliness of this is amazing.

Giroud, Walcott, Chamberlain, Podolski, Cazorla, Sanchez, Campbell all vying for 3 positions and not enough. Need Griezmann or failure..

Giroud is our main striker next season, he won't be replaced. Don't like it? Tough luck. Enjoy bitching pointlessly for 12mths.

I will.

Sanchez and Walcott are good enough to be first choice players in a squad capable of winning the league. Which means there's one more slot in that front three that needs to be filled—and it's probably going to have to be on the wing, since no world class strikers. Everyone else on that list should be a squad player, at best. Good enough to keep around, but we need to be looking to upgrade.

also for 24m, Griezmann is a ridiculous bargain

Campbell needs to be shipped out on loan.

King_Moc

Banned
Remy is probably a tad underwhelming in terms of 'we need to replace Suarez', but he's a real good player, can play in two or three positions and is lightning quick. 8m would be a steal provided his wages aren't too high.

Still think Liverpool need to sign someone that can win them shit the way Suarez could (with the caveats that there isn't many around that can do that and that I haven't seen very much of Can and Lazza).

Lallana and Lambert are squad improvements but not first team improvements; regardless of how much we spent on Herrera and Shaw and whether or not they're the top class players we're crying out for, they definitely improve our first team. Not sure if Liverpool have done that (again, Markovic has good hype so will probably prove me wrong).

I think they'll be playing with 5 midfielders, rather than two strikers, in either a 4-5-1, or a 4-3-3.

Arnie

Remy is probably a tad underwhelming in terms of 'we need to replace Suarez', but he's a real good player, can play in two or three positions and is lightning quick. 8m would be a steal provided his wages aren't too high.

Still think Liverpool need to sign someone that can win them shit the way Suarez could (with the caveats that there isn't many around that can do that and that I haven't seen very much of Can and Lazza).

Lallana and Lambert are squad improvements but not first team improvements; regardless of how much we spent on Herrera and Shaw and whether or not they're the top class players we're crying out for, they definitely improve our first team. Not sure if Liverpool have done that (again, Markovic has good hype so will probably prove me wrong).

To be honest we all pale in comparison to the work Chelsea have done this summer. Courtois, Luis, Fabregas and Costa all in for 25m or so after the Luiz sale. Madness.
All of our signings, with the exception of Lambert, could only be bought with Champions League football. Players like Lazza and Can and Origi are signings with great potential. I think the likes of Lallana and Henderson will take another huge leap next season.

Speaking of I think we're buying players with a hunger to learn and the capacity to improve and just letting Brendan do his work. It's what we've always done since he took over. People get really caught up with the whole Suarez thing but it's a bit of a red herring. The way the team plays creates goals and victories, not Suarez.

He was out for 10 games this time last year and we won nearly all of them. Our squad is in a better place now than it was then.

And in regards to Remy he's a like for like backup to Sturridge. Will play in behind and use his pace to support the likes of Sterling, Coutinho, Lazza and Lallana.

Barzul

this transfer window is quickly turning into yet another disaster. we need to sign Remy and I will only accept us not buying him if it's because we're actually secretly in for Griezmann.

Griezmann is not a striker. I mean I'd take him, but he'd be an experiment nonetheless

Feorax

Has Andre Alexander Shaquille Wisdom got a loan move yet? Think he'd be decent backup right now, probably better than Johnson.

Rumours about a West Brom loan.

We seem to be taking his development very seriously, getting him a loan where he's likely to be a starting XI player in the Premier League.

Also, made up with Remy. Perfect signing, especially at a profit.

Arnie

Aye, The Times said Wisdom's off to West Brom.

Great loan.

You could have got Lallana without Champions League football, I reckon.
No way.

Only way he was pushing his way out of Southampton to join us was because we could offer him Champions League football.

Lightning

Banned
I will.

Sanchez and Walcott are good enough to be first choice players in a squad capable of winning the league. Which means there's one more slot in that front three that needs to be filled—and it's probably going to have to be on the wing, since no world class strikers. Everyone else on that list should be a squad player, at best. Good enough to keep around, but we need to be looking to upgrade.

Campbell needs to be shipped out on loan.
Another loan? We may as well sell Campbell then. His contract will expire and all we managed to do is loan teach him. Great going.

How anyone can anyonevwant at Arsenal another attacking player over a DM or CB is beyond me. We buy Griezmann for 25m, 20m for Schneiderlin and that will be what? 80m spent. jtb all happy, yes, then Kos rips his hamstring and is out for 8 weeks and we're screwed and all of a sudden it's back to sack the manager while our wealth of attacking players warm the bench.

If we had the defensive depth that we have on the flank I would agree, let's upgrade but we don't. Therefore Podolski can serve a purpose and focus on something else, same applies to Remy. Not what's most important to our needs.

jtb

Banned
It'll be interesting to see how Rodgers prioritizes and copes with being in four competitions this season. Last time out in Europe was bad but it's the Europa League so can't really read much into it.

Arnie

From challenging for title few months ago

To

Struggling to sign some guy named Davis + losing Suarez.

Why does Liverpool do this to us :(
Shut up FootballFan.
West Brom?

Would prefer him to get a jersey at Anfield for the dough but meh nice to see him doing well

Go on Andre
Would rather him go and play a full season of Premier League football and then come back to us a beast than spend a large portion of the season on our bench.

He's almost ready.

sohois

Who is this Ben Davies guy? Do Liverpool want him?

Swansea's young welsh LB. Good talent, but it seems likely he'll be off to Spurs. Reckon it will be a very good buy for them, they seemed to have a baffling refusal to address their weakness at FB for ages.

jtb

Banned
Another loan? We may as well sell Campbell then. His contract will expire and all we managed to do is loan teach him. Great going.

How anyone can want at Arsenal another attacking player over a DM or CB is beyond me. We buy Griezmann for 25m, 20m for Schneiderlin and that will be what? 80m spent. jtb all happy, yes, then Kos rips his hamstring and is out for 8 weeks and we're screwed and all of a sudden it's back to sack the manager while our wealth of attacking players warm the bench.

If we had the defensive depth that we have on the flank I would agree, let's upgrade but we don't. Therefore Podolski can serve a purpose and focus on something else, same applies to Remy. Not what's most important to our needs.

We should sell Campbell imo. He'll never succeed here as a number nine type because he'll never get the chance so long as Wenger plays a lone striker system and he's not good enough to play when we've got ten other attacking midfield players waiting in the wings.

I want a DM too! But Wenger doesn't seem to be interested in buying one! Just get somebody, anybody. if we get Griezmann and no DM and no striker, it's better than not getting Griezmann and not getting a DM and no striker.

I'm convinced a CB signing isn't happening. Overpay for a shit Debuchy and that'll be it for defensive signings. Vermaelen will stay, see out his contract. Would be nice if he was stripped of the captaincy, just for fun.

K1LLER7

Swansea's young welsh LB. Good talent, but it seems likely he'll be off to Spurs. Reckon it will be a very good buy for them, they seemed to have a baffling refusal to address their weakness at FB for ages.
Oh, nice one.

Didn't pay much attention to Swansea last season. Will keep an eye out to see how he does this season. Spurs have Ezekiel Fryers. They have FB sorted.

Arnie

It'll be interesting to see how Rodgers prioritizes and copes with being in four competitions this season. Last time out in Europe was bad but it's the Europa League so can't really read much into it.
Well last time we didn't have a squad to cope with it.

Hence the depth we're adding this summer.
You could have offered him a lot more money and a bigger club to play for.

Liverpool look on the up and up too.
I still don't think he would've joined us because I believe another Champions League club would've gone for him.

I don't think there was much competition for his signature because he decided he wanted to join us in about April.

Had he not made that known I could've seen someone like United or City go for him (as a squad player).
Is Kolo still at pool
don't even know
I really like him and I'm gutted we haven't got him.

Lightning

Banned
Arsenal have 5 attacking positions. Giroud is going to play unless injured or rested. Özil is going to play unless injured or rested. Sanchez is going to play unless injured or rested. Ramsey is going to play unless injured or rested. That leaves 1 position for Walcott, Podolski, Rosciky, Cazorla, Ox, Wilshere to fight for. That would require either a lot of rest or a lot of injuries. That's not even including Gnabry, Sanogo, Campbell, next Cesc Zelalem etc... Yet add more? Arsenal fans are too greedy.

jtb

Banned
Arsenal have 5 attacking positions. Giroud is going to play unless injured or rested. Özil is going to play unless injured or rested. Sanchez is going to play unless injured or rested. Ramsey is going to play unless injured or rested. That leaves 1 position for Walcott, Podolski, Rosciky, Cazorla, Ox, Wilshere to fight for. That would require either a lot of rest or a lot of injuries. That's not even including Gnabry, Sanogo, Campbell, next Cesc Zelalem etc... Yet add more? Arsenal fans are too greedy.

It's about quality, not quantity. We need a team that can survive a 50+ game slog of a season but we also need a team that can actually win against good opposition, something we have been woefully inept at the past few seasons.

Salvadora

But you have to factor in an inevitable injury crisis and the strain of playing 3 games in a week.

Just not convinced our strikers compare to any of the other top clubs, quality wise.

Sanchez could go a long way to solving that if he fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom