• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Probity

Wenger has done a lot for Arsenal that deserves so much credit. When Wenger came into Arsenal we were not as big a club as we are now, played boring football. He transformed us and gave us a platform. We laugh and mock the 4th and 3rd place finishes but it's still a high standard and the stadium was the reason for the transfer reluctance. He sacrificed himself for the benefit of the clubs financial situation aa he got the most out of ordinary teams and seen us through a time where our only budget came from player sales and we still didn't drop out. We have money mow again and distinct change in policy, quality like özil and soon Sanchez coming in, that was unheard of before.

Such success we didn't really expect before Wenger now gets taken for granted in my view.

I suppose so, I wasn't alive when that all occurred, I imagine it was a major transformation. I suppose I should look more into some clubs' histories at this point. I understand better now the things he has done, how important he has been and why some of what he does has reason.

That said, even with improvements coming now, I think things he does need to change. His rotation policy was dreadful this last season, and the training staff wasn't fantastic. I hope things work out better now, all things considered with the learning from last season.

Who would have been Schmelzer, who's decent, but who was also hurt. Honestly, I would have taken one of Kroos or Khedira out, played the other next to Schweinsteiger, moved Ozil to the middle and then put Reus (or since he's hurt, someone like Schurrle on the left). When it comes right down to it, Germany's greatest weakness in the next few years will be lack of striker. I guess there's still Mario Gomez, but there's very few out and out strikers who seem to fit into this team mould. Maybe Volland? I still kinda like the idea of Wenger trying to turn Draxler into a striker.

Draxler has a lot of potential, but I think at the moment we can make up for the lack of a single striker with our other attacking options. This can't last forever, but is certainly fine at the moment with the people we have. Volland is alright, but doesn't fit our system yet, needs to be molded, which there is time for as he is young. He won't be as good as we need though. Gomez is aging, but even so, he is too streaky. He has either played fantastically or he has messed up gloriously and missed great chances. No enough consistency. I agree that our striker position is a strong weakness, since we still have great young midfielders and a lot of improving young defenders. Time will tell though, I am not sure.

jtb

Banned
I just wish Wenger wasn't so goddamn stubborn. the game has evolved in the past decade but Wenger hasn't necessarily adapted with a lot of those changes.

omgkitty

I just wish Wenger wasn't so goddamn stubborn. the game has evolved in the past decade but Wenger hasn't necessarily adapted with a lot of those changes.

Actually buying some players and bringing in a new physio is a pretty good start. We're not losing any players and we seem to be adding some good ones, so maybe he'll finally start to rotate better. I understand wanting to play with the team who's been winning or whoever the best 11 is, but we definitely have enough options that this really should no longer be an issue.

Probity

Actually buying some players and bringing in a new physio is a pretty good start. We're not losing any players and we seem to be adding some good ones, so maybe he'll finally start to rotate better. I understand wanting to play with the team who's been winning or whoever the best 11 is, but we definitely have enough options that this really should no longer be an issue.

The only thing I care about is that the ending days of the season see the top teams all really close on points and goals, because I loved the drama with this one and was sad it didn't finish as entirely spectacularly as I hoped. I am a neutral with the Premier League, so I mean no offense to other teams I say I like a bit, but I wanted Liverpool to win it, since it seemed so story-book and fantastic. It would have made for some great news stories, and I really like Gerrard despite some of his criticisms, really respectable guy I think.

Oh well, I hope the games are good.

Why is Pulga against Messi? Stats-wise he's by far the best player in the world already.

I get that he's from Barca, but come the fuck on. Kroos is great, but Messi is on a whole other level.

omgkitty

Picking up all the leftovers from Spain. It's really wonderful.

It's like when you go to Target and they've accidentally put some new game on the clearance rack for half price and you laugh as you're exiting the store with your new game. Madrid and Barca are basically spoiled children who get sick of their toys too quickly and throw a tantrum until they get a new one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what is the english press saying about Markovic from Benfica to Liverpool 'Pool fans? The Portuguese media pretty much says its a guarantee for €25mill (only half belonging to Benfica sigh), first he was supposed to go to england yesterday, now they say he goes today

He didnt participate in yesterday's practice at least, that much is true

wedward

It's like when you go to Target and they've accidentally put some new game on the clearance rack for half price and you laugh as you're exiting the store with your new game. Madrid and Barca are basically spoiled children who get sick of their toys too quickly and throw a tantrum until they get a new one.

Next summer I think we will try and get a top class striker.

Then we go for the CL.

Night all.

Tomorrow we wake up to a new era. Hold onto your butts.

#wegoagain

Mastadon

Banned
what is the english press saying about Markovic from Benfica to Liverpool 'Pool fans? The Portuguese media pretty much says its a guarantee for €25mill (only half belonging to Benfica sigh), first he was supposed to go to england yesterday, now they say he goes today

He didnt participate in yesterday's practice at least, that much is true

Medical happening today by all accounts. How do you rate Markovic?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Medical happening today by all accounts. How do you rate Markovic?

so its a done deal there aswell.

And he could be very good, he is the cliche diamond in the rough. Hes very young (19) and he can do wonderful things like this goal against sporting in the 1-1 draw at sporting (Markovic didnt start he came in, and turned the game around, which for a 18 year old kid at the time on his third game for a big club is something) or this awesome trick goal against guimarães at home, he was pretty much one of the most important players in our league, cup and league cup wins, and europa league final (he missed the final because of a red card on the bench for something he didnt even do, someone else did lol), and us losing the final was in part because he wasnt there (nor was enzo perez and someone else important I forget)

he also has the tendancy to sometimes disapear from matches, oh and he is the best in the center attacking, even tho our stupid coach always put him as a right winger (and he still was one of the most important players)

oh and something which I really like about him, he is very humble and not a "star" at all, he barely celebrates goals and is very chill, like "yeah yeah its no big deal i did that amazing step over the goalkeeper goal" attitude, seems like a good player to avoid conflicts in the team, like he never seemed annoyed at not starting a game for example (to be fair he was rarely benched but still)

Lightning

Banned
I'm finding the bullshit rumor that Spurs are trying to sigh Julian Draxler to be hilariously funny. They don't stand a snowballs chance in hell.

LTWheels

NnL2LGT.jpg

Haha

West Ham have shown off the proposed new crest for when we move to the Olympic Stadium;

01cdjHe.jpg

Eurgh, that's fucking ugly. Not bothered by losing the castle, as it was a highly stylised version that bore little resemblance to the actual Boleyn Castle, and I like the simplicity of the crossed irons, but that font, the weird two-tone thing and the fact that it says London (presumably so foreigners know where we're from) are all pretty bad. I'm convinced Sullivan would rename the club Olympic London FC, if he could get away with it - he's becoming a bit obsessed with the final stage of his plan; sell club to megarich foreigner.

Blablurn

Loew winning the world cup will be great to stick up the butts of all the moaning Loew haters amongst german fans.

I really like Loew.

The haters might get quiet but nobody would describe him as a tactic genius either. He did the right things so far. But those were obvious decisions everyone would have done.

Clegg

Are we really baulking at paying £37m for Vidal after just paying £30m for an 18 year old left back?

There's the Manchester United I know.

Laboured I dont understand this, you only payed a few million less for Ander Herrera, a very undercooked product. Whats wrong with paying a few more for the worlds best CM? Are Juventus supposed to sell him for peanuts?

1. It's the Daily Mail so I naturally don't think the numbers they're using are correct.

2. Even if it is correct (doubtful) I think it's just posturing to get the lowest price possible.

pulga

Banned
1. It's the Daily Mail so I naturally don't think the numbers they're using are correct.

2. Even if it is correct (doubtful) I think it's just posturing to get the lowest price possible.

Oh, I thought you were laughing at the price being too high.

What's United's transfer record signing?

Mastadon

Banned
so its a done deal there aswell.

And he could be very good, he is the cliche diamond in the rough. Hes very young (19) and he can do wonderful things like this goal against sporting in the 1-1 draw at sporting (Markovic didnt start he came in, and turned the game around, which for a 18 year old kid at the time on his third game for a big club is something) or this awesome trick goal against guimarães at home, he was pretty much one of the most important players in our league, cup and league cup wins, and europa league final (he missed the final because of a red card on the bench for something he didnt even do, someone else did lol), and us losing the final was in part because he wasnt there (nor was enzo perez and someone else important I forget)

he also has the tendancy to sometimes disapear from matches, oh and he is the best in the center attacking, even tho our stupid coach always put him as a right winger (and he still was one of the most important players)

oh and something which I really like about him, he is very humble and not a "star" at all, he barely celebrates goals and is very chill, like "yeah yeah its no big deal i did that amazing step over the goalkeeper goal" attitude, seems like a good player to avoid conflicts in the team, like he never seemed annoyed at not starting a game for example (to be fair he was rarely benched but still)

Sounds like someone Rodgers will be very keen to work with. I think the think Rodgers does best is giving players with potential the room and confidence to develop. Excited about seeing him play!

Arnie

so Gala want Skrtel, not sure how I feel about that, they want him for 5Mil. tbh we need an almost new defense though
He's worth £15 million after last season. Not worth letting him go for less. People remember certain matches but we need to remember that he was part of a squad that took us to a hair's breadth of the Premier League.

Ben Davis isn't a terrible signing. Better than Bertrand, for me.

Well excited for Markovic, thanks for the thoughts above. Also excited to see what we do with this Suarez money.

LNBL

Phew, the morning after.. Anger and sadness has somewhat subsided from last night.
This squad has achieved the highest possible outcome for their quality and as a team they fought like lions! Can't wait to see how De Vrij and the others will eventually move to a bigger club and start developing their skills even further so that we will have a solid block in the back during the next tournament. For now the Eredivsie has been rightfully redeemed!
Until fucking Willem II beats the title contenders in their away match and we are the mickey mouse league again

10516711_737650526296376_6726635047873861620_n.jpg

Yen

I wouldn't be upset with Davis if the alternative is Bertrand. I want Moreno still though.

Edit: For 5m we should keep Skrtel.
Beyond Skrtel's goalscoring prowess and his CL experience, I think he's fairly dispensable. If Rodgers wants one-on-one defenders, Skrtel is not the answer. I can see him going if we get £10m.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Lloris definitely just claused himself for PSG.

Quiet you, Levy doesn't do release clauses. At worst there is a 'gentlemen's agreement', Levy would never limit a transfer fee contractually.

Anyway great news on the contract because it nips any possible transfer saga in the bud, now we can get on with our pre-season. It's been a long time since we had a proper one, the last 3 have all been ruined , twice by Modric and then Bale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom