• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT25| Louis evangaalism strictly prohibited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastadon

Banned
Christ I've just been out on a visit, came back to the office and the picketers have all gone.

What a lack of commitment.
e5YuU.gif

kharma45

Was he basically doing you a favour extending his contract, making sure you got a transfer fee for him?

Unless his wages in the interim exceed the transfer fee

Na he was up for staying but his wife wants to move on now so the club aren't going to stand in his way if that's what he has decided.

Rad-

Yeesssss bye Evra. At one point he was the best LB in the world but he has been crap for like 3 years now. Now if we somehow can get rid of Young as well... But he is so bad that nobody will even buy him.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm actually gutted Evra is leaving. He got Manchester United.

JuveGAF, you may hate him for every 90 minutes you see him out of position, but I guarantee the rest of the time you'll love him

this is an unpopular opinion but fuck it, LFC need to change our entire backline (including back up, with the exception of Sakho)

The LFC defense tends to scramble and lose focus and shape in too many games and i believe that its stuck in the minds of our long tenure defenders.

We need to get in multiple good and new defenders who dont have that scramble and panic mode

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Wait so Barca don't want to pay £20m for their first choice CB target but they are interested in signing Vertonghen who would cost at least that amount? They are not good with transfers, are they?

He's the last player I would have expected to ask to leave. :(
It's not like he's betraying us. We invoked the extension. Differing reasons he wants to go. He knows he's not first choice anymore.

Evra is going to be missed. Cliche as hell but he really did "get it". Gutted.

Pretty funny Juve are paying him £50k/week though. Mad. They're gonna have to sell to afford that.

subtles

Aging

@subtles, do you think I'm overrating Skrtel or underrating the rest of them?

My comment pertained (specifically) to your assesment of Skrtel and Sakho . This upcoming season is sure to surprise you in that regard. It's hard to quantify certain qualities (or lack thereof) so I'll leave it at that.

this is an unpopular opinion but fuck it, LFC need to change our entire backline (including back up, with the exception of Sakho)

The LFC defense tends to scramble and lose focus and shape in too many games and i believe that its not stuck in the minds of our long tenure defenders.

We need to get in multiple good and new defenders who dont have that scramble and panic mode

The worst way to forge a functioning defensive unit is to cobble together a new one in the space of a month. That would be way too risky, we could easily go from having a mediocre defense to a massively shit one.

Wilbur

Banned
So the most important time he will be hated :p

:lol yeah. But to have someone at the club who really cared when we lost, and who said all the right things off the pitch, and who led by example in the dressing room and in the media... I'll miss him. And he was world class for two or three years, I'll remember that. One of my favourite United players ever in all honesty.

The worst way to forge a functioning defensive unit is to cobble together a new one in the space of a month. That would be way too risky, we could easily go from having a mediocre defense to a massively shit one.

it's risky no doubt, but our defence has been an issue for years (which no manager has really attempted to completely fix in years)

and that panic mode is like a LFC tradition at this point, we need to take that risk. whose to say Brendan might be able to pull it off

:lol yeah. But to have someone at the club who really cared when we lost, and who said all the right things off the pitch, and who led by example in the dressing room and in the media... I'll miss him. And he was world class for two or three years, I'll remember that. One of my favourite United players ever in all honesty.

Oh don't be mistaken. I loved him fire a long time and wish he had stayed to have a senior presence in dressing room and mentor.

But if he didn't want to do that...

YOUVE SOLD US AIDS

I'm not pretending he is a good player anymore. He's not. The move might revitalise him...I doubt it.

But you will love him. He will learn about the club and it's history and culture, everything. And he will piss Inter off.

Just a great dude.

Mastadon

Banned
I think you have to appreciate that our defenders were in an impossible position at times. We were so quick at going forward on the break at times last season that we left our defenders horribly exposed, without a midfielder to really support them. Yes there were some shit individual errors and some positioning issues at times, but you can't solely blame the back four.

Sakho is class by the way, I don't understand the criticism towards him. I think it's partly because he looks so ungainly on the ball, but he's easily the most comfortable passer out of all our CB's.

My comment pertained (specifically) to your assesment of Skrtel and Sakho . This upcoming season is sure to surprise you in that regard. It's hard to quantify certain qualities (or lack thereof) so I'll leave it at that.

I have a lot of faith in Sakho becoming a beast with us, or at least replicating his France form. We need to fast-track his English lessons so he can take the leadership role that had PSG fans and Deschamps enamoured with him, and we need to get him some on-to-one coaching to prevent him from letting errors play on his mind and lead to further errors.

That injury couldn't have come at a worse time, he'd started solidifying his spot in the first-11 and seemed to be getting more comfortable game-on-game iirc, then BOOM, out for 3 months or whatever it was :(

pulga

Banned
I'm not pretending he is a good player anymore. He's not. The move might revitalise him...I doubt it.

But you will love him. He will learn about the club and it's history and culture, everything. And he will piss Inter off.

Just a great dude.

are you saying he should be assigned to the j-museum

Wilbur

Banned
Yurt

“I got a load of DVDs. About the Munich disaster and the Busby Babes, about Bobby Charlton, George Best and Denis Law, about Cantona. The whole story of the club. You meet these people around the club and I wanted to know who they were. What they had done for the club. Out of respect. Because when you shake the hand of Sir Bobby Charlton you can feel the legend.

“All the young players here need to understand the history of the club. After I watched those DVDs I realised I needed to respect the shirt. I needed to respect the story. Every time I play that is in my head. What a privilege it is to play for Manchester United. When you pull on the shirt you are pulling on history, and I say thanks to God that I play for this club.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom