• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

Sounds like we've offered Colback a new deal and he is going to stay. Good, very underrated.

Also he is ginger.

ShogunX

Don't think that committie was active when Dempsey was being targeted.

No it wasn't but I've heard the committee gave the thumbs down to signing Williams. The Dempsey move was weird, FSG seemed to be pushing for it at first and even announced a deal was done which pissed off Fulham and Jol. According to RAWK Fulham wanted a higher price from us than other interested clubs because of the FSG fuck up and they refused to be taken for a ride.

Honestly we dodged a bit of a bullet with Dempsey as I doubt had he signed we would of been in for Sturridge.

Omiee

Seriously manu why would you not sell rooney at this point. Hes just going to act like a big baby.

Tevez 2.0 incoming?

eSba3Wl.png

Will almost certainly change because there are players yet to be added to the game and alot of transfers will happen in the next week, I think...but I think that's going to be close to my team for GW1.

Gonna sell Luiz after GW2 and upgrade in midfield/upfront.

LTWheels

I've got Rooney in my team. He'll be amazing for Chelsea :(

Coutinho or Gerrard Liverpool gaf

Tough choice.

Coutinho is further forward, so should in theory get more goals and assists. But at the same time Aspas and if we sign Costa could eat into his points.

Gerrard despite further back, still gets some goals and assists. However, Gerrard is the penalty taker which is almost guaranteed points.

Wilbur

Banned
Will almost certainly change because there are players yet to be added to the game and alot of transfers will happen in the next week, I think...but I think that's going to be close to my team for GW1.

Nice to see so many going for Snodgrass, reliable points bringer. And Hazard's going to have an absolute mad season, I can feel it.

I've been trying to fit RVP in but it means mad sacrifices elsewhere. Got Jovetic, Berba and Bony up front right now with Soldado to come in for Jojo.

In midfield, I might have to sacrifice Coutinho and Mirallas for RVP instead of Soldado :/

Nice to see so many going for Snodgrass, reliable points bringer. And Hazard's going to have an absolute mad season, I can feel it.

I've been trying to fit RVP in but it means mad sacrifices elsewhere. Got Jovetic, Berba and Bony up front right now with Soldado to come in for Jojo.

In midfield, I might have to sacrifice Coutinho and Mirallas for RVP instead of Soldado :/
I don't really want Snodgrass tbh, he is okay for points but there is better value there somewhere...just haven't found it yet.

There will be a player who is 5.0-6.0 who is in form every few weeks, just need to identify who it is.

(I take this game way too seriously).

Wilbur

Banned
I don't really want Snodgrass tbh, he is okay for points but there is better value there somewhere...just haven't found it yet.

There will be a player who is 5.0-6.0 who is in form every few weeks, just need to identify who it is.

(I take this game way too seriously).

6.5 for Snodgrass is pretty good I think, gets points in that 7-8 players could be making. Need the season to start for sure first. Maybe one of the Swansea new boys?

also i just sent this on whatsapp lol

I'm swapping Mirallas, Zaha and Jovetic for RVP, Nzonzi and Ravel Morrison #yolo

REPRESENT

Omiee

Thats a real good team. Good luck to everyone!

Wish there was some place where you could get information about the best values etc.

GorillaJu

Reason why you should pick Van Persie is the guaranteed to start every game, better than all the other players in the game, takes corners, free kicks and penalties, plays for one of the best teams in the league, proven consistency.

Once RVP is in your team, you don't need to worry about him, just leave him in there, over the season the points are guaranteed.

There's a reason he's 14.0.

I know. I'm deliberating between Navas/RVP or Bale/Agüero. I'm not fully confident in either of the City players. If Rooney moves to Chelsea then I think Rooney/Bale is the best bet for me.

I'll probably stick with the Bale combo because Utd doesn't have such easy fixtures at the start. It's largely a wash though.

The real question is Hazard or Walcott, and Benteke or Sturridge? Double game week for AVL and Chels is leading me to Haz/Tekkers first week, then swap in Walcott immediately and Studge the next. Should line up well with Studge's return from injury, too

Viva your team and mine are exceedingly similar. You went for Navas/RVP where I'm going for Bale/Agüero.

You're gonna win again. :(

GorillaJu

Remy will score a hattrick against City.

He's an extremely good prospect, depending on his price. Like Viva I've got Anelka up front but if Remy goes for 5.5-6.5 then he's a very enticing player. He'll do worlds better, production wise, in a Newcastle shirt than he did for QPR.

I know. I'm deliberating between Navas/RVP or Bale/Agüero. I'm not fully confident in either of the City players. If Rooney moves to Chelsea then I think Rooney/Bale is the best bet for me.

I'll probably stick with the Bale combo because Utd doesn't have such easy fixtures at the start. It's largely a wash though.

The real question is Hazard or Walcott, and Benteke or Sturridge? Double game week for AVL and Chels is leading me to Haz/Tekkers first week, then swap in Walcott immediately and Studge the next. Should line up well with Studge's return from injury, too

Viva your team and mine are exceedingly similar. You went for Navas/RVP where I'm going for Bale/Agüero.

You're gonna win again. :(
I was going to favour Aguero over RVP but now that I have no idea what's going on with City's strikers I'm playing it safe. Last thing I want is to have 11.0m dudes sitting on the freaking bench. I have a feeling alot of people aren't picking RVP so I think he could end up, weirdly, being an amazing player to have because if he goes big early (risky..hard games, but he killed it last year) then you're laughing. If Rooney goes to Chelsea I would 100% switch from RVP to Rooney and spread the money.

Navas I have a good feeling about, I've convinced myself he is gonna be one of Pelle's few guaranteed starters on the RW, assist machine I reckon.

Haz/Tekkers for GW1 is a must, double gameweeks can't be missed out on.

I've picked my team basically thinking Bale is a goner. If Bale stays then...oh...please just go to Madrid Bale :(

I'm not confident this year haha, theres alot of unknowns...

TeegsD

Take 2

GhpXCfc.png

Next change might be dropping Mignolet for a worse keeper. Giggs and Johnson were random fillers.

Been thinking of grabbing Benteke but Dem Fixtures.

GorillaJu

Yeah we're on the same wavelength, re: RVP and Navas. The circumstances around Navas, the fact that he played for Pelle before and the fact that City's goals almost always come from the right... Ugh.

Sorry but I may end up doing the swap in the end. You're 100% right - Agüero on the bench to start off the season would be a tragedy.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah alright this is what I'm rocking unless there's some nuts transfer. Tried for Aspas, feel like I should have Navas but RVP, Coutz, Hazard and Mirallas are gonna get mad points.

Ii3y6i3.png

GorillaJu

Liverpool has a great fixture run for the first 5-6 weeks. Cou is gonna have a stormer, especially since he'll have a lot of freedom in attack with Suarez out and Studge on the mend.

I'm counting on Walcott, Cou and Bale being my main source of points for the first couple months.

Yen

Where does S2 of GOT align with the books. I'm about a fifth of the way through Steel and Snow, or a tenth of the way through Storm of Swords.

TeegsD

2 questions: First, anyone here doing that ultimate fantasy team? Not sure how much it costs but if the price is right, a 25 man squad would be fun to manage.
Second, anyone know if they're gonna get their head out of their asses and actually make their mobile apps not complete shitters?

K1LLER7

Yeah we're on the same wavelength, re: RVP and Navas. The circumstances around Navas, the fact that he played for Pelle before and the fact that City's goals almost always come from the right... Ugh.

Sorry but I may end up doing the swap in the end. You're 100% right - Agüero on the bench to start off the season would be a tragedy.

Swapped him with Rooney. Was wondering why he didn't feature in any of the pre-season games but seems he's still injured/recovering.

There's some random guy on twitter saying United will announce a major signing tomorrow. Apparently he also said Rooney won't be travelling to Stockholm 5 days ago. Still looks a fake account.

GorillaJu

Where does S2 of GOT align with the books. I'm about a fifth of the way through Steel and Snow, or a tenth of the way through Storm of Swords.

S2 is mostly A Clash of Kings. Think there's maybe a little bit of ASOS in the last one or two episodes.

Wilbur

Banned
2 questions: First, anyone here doing that ultimate fantasy team? Not sure how much it costs but if the price is right, a 25 man squad would be fun to manage.
Second, anyone know if they're gonna get their head out of their asses and actually make their mobile apps not complete shitters?

The second will be a no :lol

And yeah, will check the ultimate one out

Liverpool has a great fixture run for the first 5-6 weeks. Cou is gonna have a stormer, especially since he'll have a lot of freedom in attack with Suarez out and Studge on the mend.

I'm counting on Walcott, Cou and Bale being my main source of points for the first couple months.
It was only pre season but Liverpool's clean sheets are making me think about picking Kolo Toure...dunno if he's gonna be starting tho.

Btw, random question - ties with button down collars and a suit? A no go? Pls advise.

GorillaJu

Apparently the Chinese walk around with umbrellas to prevent them from getting a tan.

Weird.

Yeah. Actually it's not exclusively a Chinese thing – Japanese and Koreans do it too. They obsess about having beautiful skin the same way Americans obsess over having straight, white teeth. When I say beautiful, I'm referring to preventing wrinkles, sunspots, and other forms of sun damage. There's a "Face Shop" (facial cosmetics/soaps/moisturizers) on like every corner in Seoul. They even have these metal rollers that have a really light electronic vibration to massage your skin. They cost like £250 and fly off the shelves in Japan.

I sometimes even see middle aged men carrying umbrellas for the same reason (though its generally something only women do)

Feorax

It was only pre season but Liverpool's clean sheets are making me think about picking Kolo Toure...dunno if he's gonna be starting tho.

Btw, random question - ties with button down collars and a suit? A no go? Pls advise.

Even if we sign Papadopalous, he's been injured for a long time. I expect Toure will start the first few games at least.

Have no problem with the attire in question btw, though I myself would ditch the tie entirely if going for a more casual look.

GorillaJu

A-ok but generally looks better with Ivy League-esque suit fabrics (grey worsted wools, checks, browns, tweeds, patch pockets or flap pockets as opposed to besom) and ties with with diagonal stripes.

I wouldn't wear a button-down shirt with a formal-looking navy (or black) suit and a solid color tie, for example.

Yeah. Actually it's not exclusively a Chinese thing – Japanese and Koreans do it too. They obsess about having beautiful skin the same way Americans obsess over having straight, white teeth. When I say beautiful, I'm referring to preventing wrinkles, sunspots, and other forms of sun damage. There's a "Face Shop" (facial cosmetics/soaps/moisturizers) on like every corner in Seoul. They even have these metal rollers that have a really light electronic vibration to massage your skin. They cost like £250 and fly off the shelves in Japan.

I sometimes even see middle aged men carrying umbrellas for the same reason (though its generally something only women do)

I read somewhere that it's because peasants are tanned because they work on the fields in the blistering sun all day and you don't want to be compared with a peasant obviously.

ShogunX

Random opinion moment - one of Negredo/Soldado will flop this season. West Brom will be fighting relegation, Sunderland will finish above Everton, Bruce will be gone by Xmas, Coutinho will win young player of the year and RVP will win player of the year.

Anybody else want to throw some baseless opinions around?

This would be a decent segment on a footy-gaf podcast by the way.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom