• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random opinion moment - one of Negredo/Soldado will flop this season. West Brom will be fighting relegation, Sunderland will finish above Everton, Bruce will be gone by Xmas, Coutinho will win young player of the year and RVP will win player of the year.

Anybody else want to throw some baseless opinions around?

This would be a decent segment on a footy-gaf podcast by the way.......
Welbeck will get to double figures for goals. (All comps).

Wilbur

Banned
Random opinion moment - one of Negredo/Soldado will flop this season. West Brom will be fighting relegation, Sunderland will finish above Everton, Bruce will be gone by Xmas, Coutinho will win young player of the year and RVP will win player of the year.

I'm really quite up for a podcast if someone else can sort out the logistics of it. Think it would be a laugh.

Don't have any baseless opinions yet lol, they're for just before the season starts, but to discuss yours:

- Neither will flop, but Soldado will have a very good season by Spurs' standards and a pretty good season by his own standards; 15 league goals will do nicely. Negredo will do well when he plays, but Aguero will be first choice and I actually think Dzeko's a better player.

- West Brom will be fine. Good, bright manager, and they're definitely stronger than Hull and Palace. The last relegation spot... I dunno yet.

- Sunderland will either do much better than last season or explode completely. My money's on the former. Everton will finish 9/10th-ish but wouldn't say Sunderland will finish ahead of them. Swansea and West Ham are the best bets for 7th/8th.

- Fuck Bruce.

- Coutinho won't win it, but he'll be nominated. Hazard will win it.

- And Hazard or RVP for player of the year.

GorillaJu

I read somewhere that it's because peasants are tanned because they work on the fields in the blistering sun all day and you don't want to be compared with a peasant obviously.

That's definitely part of it. Fwiw Americans aren't too different – I don't want my nose and neck to turn purple from years of sunburn, and I don't wear BIG DOG brand tank tops and cargo shorts because I don't want to look like a redneck.

The farmer comparison may be more apt for China than Japan though. I lived in the countryside for a few months and all the farmers wore elbow-length gloves, visors, neck-towels, etc. so they're just as conscious.

Edit: time to go gamble again. I'm up about $200, even after including my new wayfarers and a $120 sushi dinner at Kabuto. Been a good trip so far :p

Wilbur

Banned
This is nice. I haven't read the whole website so dunno if they're just randomly picked or there's a process - http://footballalbumcovers.tumblr.com/

tumblr_mqsntovLDg1scvqodo1_500.png

tumblr_mqns2rqTS21scvqodo1_500.png

tumblr_mqndpn8ZMw1scvqodo1_500.png

LTWheels

In China pretty much all the women cosmetics have some kind of whitening in them. It's the whole peasants thing and also wanting to imitate Caucasians. Lighter skin is seen as a sign of wealth.

K1LLER7

De Gea will be the best Spanish player in the league.

Zaha will turn out to be a key player for United.

Lampard will reach double figure goals again.

A racism/biting incident will occur again this season.

GorillaJu

In China pretty much all the women cosmetics have some kind of whitening in them. It's the whole peasants thing and also wanting to imitate Caucasians. Lighter skin is seen as a sign of wealth.

I take issue (slightly) with the imitation of Caucasians. Maybe it's just because I think white people are too ethnocentric in general but I think it's more about skin care and image (upper class city dweller vs poor farmer) than it is about attempting to look like a different ethnicity.

01. Chelsea
02. Man City
03. Man Utd
04. Liverpool
05. Spurs
06. Arsenal
07. Swansea
08. West Ham
09. Southampton
10. Everton
11. Norwich
12. Aston Villa
13. Fulham
14. Newcastle
15. West Brom
16. Sunderland
17. Cardiff
18. Stoke
19. Hull
20. Crystal Palace

Someone quote me next summer.

jtb

Banned

predictions? hmmm...

the gap between whoever wins the league and Arsenal will be smaller than the gap between Arsenal and Liverpool. Neither will win a trophy.

ShogunX

I'm really quite up for a podcast if someone else can sort out the logistics of it. Think it would be a laugh.

Don't have any baseless opinions yet lol, they're for just before the season starts, but to discuss yours:

- Neither will flop, but Soldado will have a very good season by Spurs' standards and a pretty good season by his own standards; 15 league goals will do nicely. Negredo will do well when he plays, but Aguero will be first choice and I actually think Dzeko's a better player.

- West Brom will be fine. Good, bright manager, and they're definitely stronger than Hull and Palace. The last relegation spot... I dunno yet.

- Sunderland will either do much better than last season or explode completely. My money's on the former. Everton will finish 9/10th-ish but wouldn't say Sunderland will finish ahead of them. Swansea and West Ham are the best bets for 7th/8th.

- Fuck Bruce.

- Coutinho won't win it, but he'll be nominated. Hazard will win it.

- And Hazard or RVP for player of the year.

I can sort out most of the podcast stuff even if I don't take part (I know I'm only a part time member here). I can record and edit the show as I still have the setup from my gaming podcast days. I imagine it would be a decent show with some good humour and inside jokes. Just need people to commit, find out the best time for everybody and then choose our topics.

As for my random opinions , West Brom haven't strengthened at all but have lost Lukakau, I just cant see a lot of them having another great season. Everton will struggle with how Martinez wants them to play and give a lot of silly goals away, The Sunderland one was bit crazy - Swansea would of been a better choice like you say. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Zaha is in the mix for young player even though he wont have a great season. I think anything he does will be amplified by the media.

Back to the podcast - I wouldn't mind hosting the first show to get everything in motion (previous experience) and then handing over to a more established member.

Even if we sign Papadopalous, he's been injured for a long time. I expect Toure will start the first few games at least.

Have no problem with the attire in question btw, though I myself would ditch the tie entirely if going for a more casual look.

A-ok but generally looks better with Ivy League-esque suit fabrics (grey worsted wools, checks, browns, tweeds, patch pockets or flap pockets as opposed to besom) and ties with with diagonal stripes.

I wouldn't wear a button-down shirt with a formal-looking navy (or black) suit and a solid color tie, for example.
Thanks yo. This is for a pretty formal setting so I will heed your advice and stay clear.

Also Morsel I didn't understand half of your post, what is an Ivy League fabric. What is worsted or besom. One day I will learn.

Feorax

My prediction is simply that Toure is going to be a massive surprise to those who think he's past it.

I also think Aspas could be this season's Michu.

Outside of LFC, I think Lukaku will have the type of season that will make people forget his age.

shortyme

How many of you actually own and wear your teams kits?

I was talking to some friends of mine and we were discussing if they'd actually have sex with anyone wearing a team shirt.

Wilbur

Banned
How many of you actually own and wear your teams kits?

I was talking to some friends of mine and we were discussing if they'd actually have sex with anyone wearing a team shirt.

I'd defnitely fuck someone wearing a Shinji shirt, or a Welbeck one

I'm wasting my time with writing. My friend who was meant to help shoot a short film, that me and a third friend co-wrote, sold his camera to buy drugs (seriously). And now my friend has decided to continue the project with another guy in our circle who I have a mutual hatred with. I don't really want to be that guy who pulls the plug on it because it's a great project so I don't think I'll fight this battle. Don't know how many more of these I can lose though. At least I have university to look forward to but that's if I get in. Even then it's a crapshoot.

Eurrrgh - /rant over.

Zabojnik

I'm wasting my time with writing. My friend who was meant to help shoot a short film me and another friend co-wrote sold his camera to buy drugs (seriously). And now my friend has decided to continue the project with another guy in our circle who I have a mutual hatred with. I don't really want to be that guy who pulls the plug on it because it's a great project so I don't think I'll fight this battle. Don't know how many more of these I can lose though. At least I have university to look forward to but that's if I get in. Even then it's a crapshoot.

Eurrrgh - /rant over.

You sound like an artist, alright.
Good luck <3

Wilbur

Banned
CRAWL SPACE ENDING HNGNGGHGHGHGHGG

I'm wasting my time with writing. My friend who was meant to help shoot a short film me and another friend co-wrote sold his camera to buy drugs (seriously). And now my friend has decided to continue the project with another guy in our circle who I have a mutual hatred with. I don't really want to be that guy who pulls the plug on it because it's a great project so I don't think I'll fight this battle. Don't know how many more of these I can lose though. At least I have university to look forward to but that's if I get in. Even then it's a crapshoot.

Eurrrgh - /rant over.

Stick at it man. You got a project going at least, and uni sounds good. Keep the faith.

Zabojnik

The Killing S3 finale was disappointing, but I'd be down for another season. Liked S3 well enough, certainly much more than S1 and the shitty S2, that's for sure.

Feorax

Raul had a pretty good year.

He did well. I don't think he suited being deeper alongside Mikel/Ramires though. I think he needed to be either as a number 10 or on the right.

Got a CL winners medal and an FA cup medal that uear though, so not exactly a bad haul.

xintin

He did well. I don't think he suited being deeper alongside Mikel/Ramires though. I think he needed to be either as a number 10 or on the right.

Got a CL winners medal and an FA cup medal that uear though, so not exactly a bad haul.
Two things i'll always remember from his season with us: Great solo goal against Benfica in the UCL quarters, and begging that cunt ref Cakir not to card him at the end of the Barca game that cost him the final.

Seriously, fuck Cakir. That game was over, even if it was a hard foul :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom