• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Showaddy

Did that American Liverpool fan just say if they'd signed Dempsey they wouldn't be losing Suarez because they'd have got top 4?

Wilbur

Banned
Would love to play 4-3-3 this season if we can get people in; if we get someone as good as Fabregas/Modric in then 4-2-3-1 would be fine with Kagawa behind RVP but as it is our midfield is lightweight, especially if we play two. If Carrick, Ando and Cleverley (on paper) can get some good form going if we don't bring in anyone, I'd want us to play three in the middle.

We need someone in tho. For fucking sure.

Salvadora

That Arsenal fan just said that if we got Suarez, we could get Rooney, Gundogan, Williams
KuGsj.gif

Struggled to dominate, Midfield still looks weak. Surprised we've played 4-3-3 quite often under Moyes.

Ando looks fit for a change. Nani looked good but got injured. Evans too. Vidic back, played the full game. He's made a difference in defence. Hope we can keep him fit all season.

Zaha has been our best player this pre-season imo.
Anderson's running game has always been very strong, in defence and breaking forward he is good. His fitness has just been so bad that its never been a sustainable attribute - if will be really good for us if he got fit and could offer that throughout games.

However I still don't think his passing game is up to scratch, he is sloppy and sometimes a bit too eager to play a killer ball.

BB spoilers (question)

Is there an episode missing on Netflix? Its gone straight from Skyler being in labour and Walt rushing to the meeting with the new dealer, to the baby being born and Walt having a bag full of money

Wilbur

Banned
BB spoilers (question)

Is there an episode missing on Netflix? Its gone straight from Skyler being in labour and Walt rushing to the meeting with the new dealer, to the baby being born and Walt having a bag full of money

Nope,
just assume he missed the labour, he made the deal. You don't need to see it to know what his priorities were

LTWheels

Just watched the new UK Wii U advert. Very surprising to see Nintendo put out a good advert that shows that it's a new console and how it's different.

K1LLER7

Would love to play 4-3-3 this season if we can get people in; if we get someone as good as Fabregas/Modric in then 4-2-3-1 would be fine with Kagawa behind RVP but as it is our midfield is lightweight, especially if we play two. If Carrick, Ando and Cleverley (on paper) can get some good form going if we don't bring in anyone, I'd want us to play three in the middle.

We need someone in tho. For fucking sure.

If we get Fellani in, I would love if we played a 4-3-3.

---------------- Fellani --------------
------ Carrick --------------
-------------------------- Kagawa --------

Zaha ----------- RVP ---------------- Nani

Fellani in a Busi role. Carrick in a Xavi role. Kagawa further forward in a Iniesta role.

Zaha, nani and RVP attack.

Wilbur

Banned
If we get Fellani in, I would love if we played a 4-3-3.

---------------- Fellani --------------
------ Carrick --------------
-------------------------- Kagawa --------

Zaha ----------- RVP ---------------- Nani

Fellani in a Busi role. Carrick in a Xavi role. Kagawa further forward in a Iniesta role.

Zaha, nani and RVP attack.

Fellaini = Busquets literally made me laugh out loud.

But yeah, as long as we don't have a fucking weaksauce central two, i.e. Carrick and Cleverley, I wouldn't mind Kagawa behind the striker. And that's his best position. But then usually we'd sacrifice a three man midfield - which obviously on paper is more solidity - for Kagawa behind striker and any two of Carrick + Ando/Clev. That fucking blows. Get Fellaini in and rock the 4-2-3-1. Let Nani and Zaha swap throughout matches and disorientate full backs

win the league

moyeezus style

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
We have been shoddily run for years, so it's hard to put complete faith in our owners/execs. I hope they are right of course, but we should have made it clear to Suarez that we would only sell to a foreign club that met our price.

By the way isn't a £40M release clause very low for a contract signed in the last year. They are usually ludicrous amounts that would be stupid to turn down, I would believe a £50M-£60M valuation far more readily.

K1LLER7

Anderson's running game has always been very strong, in defence and breaking forward he is good. His fitness has just been so bad that its never been a sustainable attribute - if will be really good for us if he got fit and could offer that throughout games.

However I still don't think his passing game is up to scratch, he is sloppy and sometimes a bit too eager to play a killer ball.

I agree. Even throughout this pre-season, his passes are always either hit too long or not hard enough. I like that he drops deep to pick the ball up quite often and offer more movement in midfield than Carrick does. He's at his best running at the opposition. Hopefully he can have a season where he doesn't get injured.

K1LLER7

But yeah, as long as we don't have a fucking weaksauce central two, i.e. Carrick and Cleverley, I wouldn't mind Kagawa behind the striker. And that's his best position. But then usually we'd sacrifice a three man midfield - which obviously on paper is more solidity - for Kagawa behind striker and any two of Carrick + Ando/Clev. That fucking blows. Get Fellaini in and rock the 4-2-3-1. Let Nani and Zaha swap throughout matches and disorientate full backs

win the league

moyeezus style

Fellani is awesome and has Belgian DNA. He can play anywhere.
Even as Goalkeeper. He'd look like 'Turkeyburger' lol.

On the attack: 4-5-1
On the defence: 4-3-3, Kagawa drops deep.

Moysey's United.

Feorax

win the league

moyeezus style

I don't think I've ever seen Moyes play 3 in midfield. He's the ultimate evangelist of 4-4-1-1.

We have been shoddily run for years, so it's hard to put complete faith in our owners/execs. I hope they are right of course, but we should have made it clear to Suarez that we would only sell to a foreign club that met our price.

By the way isn't a £40M release clause very low for a contract signed in the last year. They are usually ludicrous amounts that would be stupid to turn down, I would believe a £50M-£60M valuation far more readily.

1. I think we probably thought a foreign club would have met our valuation. I expect they probably would have done had he not bitten Ivanovic, the stupid twat.

2. Our whole argument is that it isn't a release clause. Not our fault Suarez/Guardiola didn't clarify it.

win the league

moyeezus style
Yeah. It's a subtle difference but I don't like 4-3-3 and I don't think we have the players for it as opposed to 4-2-3-1.

Broad comparisons here but I think 433 works best when you have a midfield who can dominate and hold the field high up the pitch, like Barcelona. Whereas I think 4231 with a deep double pivot and a free front 4 works better for teams who have quick players on the counter.

I think the latter would work better for us with Carrick and Fellaini anchoring. Fellaini can move forwards too and then a free attacking unit.

Just don't think we have the players for 433 to play it and be on top, think we'd get pushed back and have a big gap between our midfield and attack.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't think I've ever seen Moyes play 3 in midfield. He's the ultimate evangelist of 4-4-1-1.

Gone with 4-3-3 for a few games pre-season. 4-2-3-1 is basically 4-4-1-1 anyway, just depends how deep/high the midfield are. Think for tough away games it'll be Valencia, Young and Welbeck, but for the majority Nani, Zaha and Kagawa.

K1LLER7

Turkeyburger > De Gea

You've got me watching Fellani Youtube clips. Woodward pls.

I 'Manchester's Busiquets' I Maroune Fellani 2013/14 I

^ Viva's right about the 4-3-3.

4-2-3-1 suits our play better. Also, Zaha will be a big player for us this year,. Moyes likes him. Should be a starter. He's been very impressive this pre-season.

ShogunX

It's a move that makes too much sense so probably wont happen. The hairy twat held his own very well against Madrid the other day and looked a class above his team mates.

Will Moyes want to upset his old club though?

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah. It's a subtle difference but I don't like 4-3-3 and I don't think we have the players for it as opposed to 4-2-3-1.

Broad comparisons here but I think 433 works best when you have a midfield who can dominate and hold the field high up the pitch, like Barcelona. Whereas I think 4231 with a deep double pivot and a free front 4 works better for teams who have quick players on the counter.

I think the latter would work better for us with Carrick and Fellaini anchoring. Fellaini can move forwards too and then a free attacking unit.

Just don't think we have the players for 433 to play it and be on top, think we'd get pushed back and have a big gap between our midfield and attack.

Yeah see, as it stands - with Rooney not in the good books and no one coming in - I'd rather play a 4-3-3 with Cleverley and Anderson (two willing runners) aside Carrick. Doesn't mean we'd dominate up the pitch, doesn't mean we'd control the play but the extra man in midfield would make up for the lack of top quality; and to be honest I like Valencia on the wings when we're getting bummed in midfield if only because he offers at least something in covering Rafael.

But 4-2-3-1 with someone as strong as Fellaini both offensively and defensively, theoretically? I like it. And I think that's what we'll go with. Moyes knows that if Rooney's out, then Kagawa's the best bet.

We should stick to 442 against the leagues weaker opposition, especially at home.

It's tried and tested, if you play aggressively with width and pace in the PL you win games as long as you have attacking quality. Most teams just capitulate under it.

But for sure against the better teams and in Europe, you have to be more nuanced.

The more I think about it, the more I like Panic Room. I've always considered it simply okay, but just gave it rewatch and really enjoyed it.

Wilbur

Banned
It's a move that makes too much sense so probably wont happen. The hairy twat held his own very well against Madrid the other day and looked a class above his team mates.

Everton didn't give a fuck when they stole the majority of Wigan's spine lol. If we offered 25m I don't think they could say no really. Martinez can be a shrewd buyer, he could do a lot with that in the middle.

Considering Fellaini usually played behind a striker because Jelavic was a weak pussy and Anichebe was a sub-par Danny Welbeck, Kone will be far better at bringing others into play; I quite like him and I thought Swansea should have been in for him before they got Bony (upgrade, obv); playing Mirallas off Kone will work well for them I think if they stick with the 4-4-1-1 Everton know.

The 3-4-2-1 Martinez likes might need some shuffling; you'd assume Coleman and Pienaar will be the wide players, Gibson and... not sure who else. I'd say Osman but he'd work well alongside Mirallas in the 2 I think. Barkley should push on this year I suppose, and Deulofeu should grow into the team as the season goes on.

K1LLER7

Moyes probably doesn't give a damn about Everton anymore :p

Remember reading that Fergie was trying to get his United side to emulate that of Dortmunds. Quick counter attacks through the wingers and a quick transition from defence to attack. We saw it against City away last season, (young was on some HGH that game) but I don't think we have the best of players in midfield to get to that level yet.

Kagawa needs to have a very good season. Hopefully the wingers can perform too.

^ Viva's right about the 4-3-3.

4-2-3-1 suits our play better. Also, Zaha will be a big player for us this year,. Moyes likes him. Should be a starter. He's been very impressive this pre-season.
I'm not sure about Zaha. I've been pleasantly surprised cos tbh I thought he was just gonna be complete crap and he actually seems to have something about him.

But I don't think he should be starting. He still makes loads of mistakes, his finishing quite clearly is a disaster, but I guess that's not too important. But his crossing is still pretty hit and hope, touch lets him down too, there were a few times today when he miscontrolled simple balls.

Definitely has had a good pre-season but its just that against weak opposition. If Nani or Valencia are playing at 60-70 percent they are comfortably a better option IMO.

Wilbur

Banned
We should stick to 442 against the leagues weaker opposition, especially at home.

It's tried and tested, if you play aggressively with width and pace in the PL you win games as long as you have attacking quality. Most teams just capitulate under it.

But for sure against the better teams and in Europe, you have to be more nuanced.

Assuming Rooney goes, Hernandez should get a lot more games this year. Against fucking Crystal Palace I hope we'd have the balls to play Chicha/RVP/Kagawa/Nani/Zaha with just Carrick or Fellaini dropping deep.

With regards to Zaha, like I say I can see Moyes being a big fan of both Young and Valencia because they don't mind tracking runners (or at least they're capable of it, but Valencia's been shit in every department for a year now). Theoretically though yeah, bed Zaha in, let him work on consistency instead of relying on him to deliver every week.

Think we'll see Welbeck alternate between wide and behind RVP a fair amount this year.

The more I think about it, the more I like Panic Room. I've always considered it simply okay, but just gave it rewatch and really enjoyed it.

Never seen it actually; think its the only one of Fincher's I haven't.

K1LLER7

I'm not sure about Zaha. I've been pleasantly surprised cos tbh I thought he was just gonna be complete crap and he actually seems to have something about him.

But I don't think he should be starting. He still makes loads of mistakes, his finishing quite clearly is a disaster, but I guess that's not too important. But his crossing is still pretty hit and hope, touch lets him down too, there were a few times today when he miscontrolled simple balls.

Definitely has had a good pre-season but its just that against weak opposition. If Nani or Valencia are playing at 60-70 percent they are comfortably a better option IMO.
It may be against weaker opponents but he's done well even compared to other United players. I'd like to see him in the testimonial or start in the community shield game. that will be another test for him.

What I like about him is that he has an unpredictable side to his game. Similar to Ronaldo when he first joined. Its not just about running to the wing, whip the ball in/wait for overlap.

Like Nani, he likes to cut in and beat his man. Valencia is very predictable and seems reluctant to cut in. It's worked so far (bar last year) but I'm hoping Zaha won't only be used as a back-up and cup player.

Agree he needs to work on his finishing.

ShogunX

Everton didn't give a fuck when they stole the majority of Wigan's spine lol. If we offered 25m I don't think they could say no really. Martinez can be a shrewd buyer, he could do a lot with that in the middle.

Considering Fellaini usually played behind a striker because Jelavic was a weak pussy and Anichebe was a sub-par Danny Welbeck, Kone will be far better at bringing others into play; I quite like him and I thought Swansea should have been in for him before they got Bony (upgrade, obv); playing Mirallas off Kone will work well for them I think if they stick with the 4-4-1-1 Everton know.

The 3-4-2-1 Martinez likes might need some shuffling; you'd assume Coleman and Pienaar will be the wide players, Gibson and... not sure who else. I'd say Osman but he'd work well alongside Mirallas in the 2 I think. Barkley should push on this year I suppose, and Deulofeu should grow into the team as the season goes on.

Looking at this match at the moment is seems that Fellaini is playing the anchor man and picking up the ball off the CB's and trying to dictate the tempo. It's crazy to see Everton commit so many people to an attack and then be so open to a counter. I expect Martinez to get more out of Mirallas than Moyes but at the same time I can see them struggling against teams that move the ball around quickly.

You twats need to hurry up and take a few of their players.

Feorax

So if Suarez and Agger go, and all signs are pointing to Diego Costa being out of the question, who do LFC turn to?

Very much doubt Agger is going. Supposedly he's our new vice captain.

Also not convinced Costa deal is dead yet.

Fuck knows who replaces Suarez though. Yilmaz has been heavily rumoured.

G-Unit

sweet sweet karma, i remember the days when people would bullshit me for noit knowing whoi the fuck moyes... now no one wants to play for him...

WHERE R U NOW CUNTS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom