• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.
They made a mistake in coming so forward with their newfound financial clout. It created a level of (realistic) expectations which they so far haven't delivered on. Fans shouldn't have booed Higuain at the Emirates, but this summer has bred a poisonous atmosphere around the club. Years of frustration are bubbling beneath the surface, ready to erupt.

It's coming off as incompetence now, we got a bit of cash and decided just to throw shit and see what stuck, except nothing did and they forgot to have a backup plan.

Salvadora

Arsenal should've paid the £32 million for Higauin.
Arsenal should've signed players in multiple positions and not let the chase for a 'star' take over our whole summer. It's a dire set of events when we are stuck gazing hopefully at another club's drama.

It would placate the whole fanbase if we were able to go, "yeah we haven't signed Higuain/Suarez, but look at...". So far we have nothing to go on.
I'm actually fascinated by Arsenal's next move.

If Suarez doesn't happen, which seems likely, then Arsenal surely have to deliver a big signing, given the posturing this summer.
If Wenger signs a new big money contract and hasn't signed a player of high calibre things could get quite messy.

jtb

Banned
That was different because it was obscene money for a player in a massive decline (our medical staff knew he was fucked).

It's like if Suarez had been shit for six months, had a crocked body, and you offered us £70 million. We'd snap your hand off.

It's different but that doesn't mean it makes a move any less likely. Suarez is dressing room cancer at this point; I'm biased obviously, but I don't see the point in keeping him around when you could stand to gain 50m and immediately strengthen the squad. Keeping Suarez around to sulk after he's burned his bridges—seems a big risk and not necessarily worth it (in my eyes, anyways) if the only reason for doing so is to give Arsenal a fuck you.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Ok, last night I doubted the club, but its good to see they have their house in order.

If there are no proper non Arsenal bids, we can easily wait this out, as he can't play for us till after deadline day anyway.

Worst case scenario is around £3M in wages until January and a hit on his price then. Even then there will probably be fines based on behaviour/disloyalty. His contract is weighted towards performance targets so he will be losing out on potential bonus money & pay raises.

More likely he falls in line, and leaves in January or next summer, providing there is a suitable offer then.

Salvadora

Bernard move to Shaktar yet? He's the never-gonna-happen-probably-entirely-made-up-by-papers Plan B that I think of whenever I get too down on our summer.
He hasn't signed yet I think, but all signs look towards him doing so sooner rather than later. His buyout, which Shakhtar met, is £21.8m.

Years of frugalness may have knocked me a bit off-kilter, but that seems like a considerable amount of money for a young player who has never played in any of the big leagues.

panty

Yeah, he isn't worth it. One of the most overrated strikers out there.

a37aSil.gif

Feorax

It's different but that doesn't mean it makes a move any less likely. Suarez is dressing room cancer at this point; I'm biased obviously, but I don't see the point in keeping him around when you could stand to gain 50m and immediately strengthen the squad. Keeping Suarez around to sulk after he's burned his bridges—seems a big risk and not necessarily worth it (in my eyes, anyways) if the only reason for doing so is to give Arsenal a fuck you.

I think that's the whole point of isolating him. I don't expect he'll be back around Melwood or Anfield if there's a risk of that.

I also don't think it's as simple as a fuck you to Arsenal. Like it or not, Arsenal are the most likely team to be displaced in the top 4. Whether our aim is realistic or not, selling Suarez to Arsenal is suicide for that goal, no matter what money we get in return (given our recruitment troubles so far).

spidye

Have we signed Bale yet?

42 hours until Bundesliga starts. It's going to be an interesting season.

We will probably win the DFB Cup, but I guess a new team will win the league. Maybe Schalke or Leverkusen

Lightning

Banned
I find it hard to believe Suarez would be our only target. Players will arrive, I'm very sure of that.

Their quality is the question that I will judge once they arrive.

K1LLER7

Have we signed Bale yet?

We will probably win the DFB Cup, but I guess a new team will win the league. Maybe Schalke or Leverkusen

Bayern League. Dortmund to slip up against other teams. Bayern will win most games.

Dortmund/PSG CL winners

ShogunX

Have we signed Bale yet?

I'd love to see Hyppia win the league but if it's not Pep and Bayern surely it will be Klopp and Dortmund who look like they have bought well.

Jarnet87

Have we signed Bale yet?

If Guardiola doesn't retain the Bundesliga crown he should be fired the second the trophy is lifted.

Meier

Do they run off when you get too close?

This is on the university campus I work at and the squirrels are pretty domesticated since they're used to people. The little guy closest was slowly getting up as I got closer to get a better shot. They'll usually just walk up to you but yeah, they did run away in this case since they're "vulnerable" I'd guess.

Salvadora

I find it hard to believe Suarez would be our only target. Players will arrive, I'm very sure of that.

Their quality is the question that I will judge once they arrive.
If a bunch of players sign on or close to deadline day, especially if they aren't "in demand" or had baggage, I will have serious questions about Arsenal's recruitment policy regardless of their quality.

spidye

Bayern League. Dortmund to slip up against other teams. Bayern will win most games.

Dortmund/PSG CL winners

If Guardiola doesn't retain the Bundesliga crown he should be fired the second the trophy is lifted.

It's not as clear as you guys think. Bayern has a new manager, a new system and after a treble winning season it takes a lot of effort to channel the same strengths. it was a one of a kind season and very hard to repeat

I'd love to see Hyppia win the league but if it's not Pep and Bayern surely it will be Klopp and Dortmund who look like they have bought well.

I have no problem if leverkusen finally wins a title but that also would mean fucking voller wins a title. fuck that.

Dortmund is the most likely answer for winning the league if it isn't bayern. especially when they came second in every tournament because of bayern. they definitely want to win one or two trophies this season and are probably extra motivated :/

qindarka

Banned
Chelsea XI: Cech; Azpilicueta, Terry, Cahill, Cole; Van Ginkel, Essien; Hazard, Schurrle, Mata; Torres.

Real Madrid XI: Casillas, Arbeloa, Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo, Khedira, Modric, Isco, Özil, Ronaldo, Benzema

ShogunX

Chelsea XI: Cech; Azpilicueta, Terry, Cahill, Cole; Van Ginkel, Essien; Hazard, Schurrle, Mata; Torres.

Real Madrid XI: Casillas, Arbeloa, Ramos, Pepe, Marcelo, Khedira, Modric, Isco, Özil, Ronaldo, Benzema

Strong sides for both clubs. Should be a good game.

Yen

So Prometheus then? The characters are terrible and there are dozens of plot holes - a lot of the film just doesn't make sense.
Still, the sets and design, and the cinematography of the film was very good.

Salazar

Yo WILBUR

http://www.lrb.co.uk/blog/2013/08/07/the-editors/nandos/

Reading Charles Lamb in Penguin’s new edition, we were struck by this expression of frustration in ‘Detached Thoughts on Books and Reading’ (1822):

"What an eternal time that gentleman in black, at Nando’s, keeps the paper! I am sick of hearing the waiter bawling out incessantly, ‘the Chronicle is in hand, Sir.’"

Lamb’s fondness for chicken – ‘those tame villatic fowl’ – is well-documented (though he preferred roast pork), as is his reluctance to sit through grace when a sumptuous meal has been put before him:

"With the ravenous orgasm upon you, it seems impertinent to interpose a religious sentiment. It is a confusion of purpose to mutter out praises from a mouth that waters. The heats of epicurism put out the gentle flame of devotion. The incense which rises round is pagan, and the belly-god intercepts it for his own."

But Nando’s, the South African-Mozambican-Portuguese restaurant chain, didn’t get going until 1987. Lamb was, of course, referring to Nando’s (short for Ferdinando’s, not Fernando’s) coffee house, which had existed on the same spot in Fleet Street since the 17th century. As well as a favourite hang-out of Lamb’s, it was also popular with the local legal community, including Lord Chancellor Edward Thurlow, who, it was suggested, had at one time had a fling with the landlady’s daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom