• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hixx

After having watched us 3 times in pre-season, my thoughts on our new signings, known and unknown:

Mannone: solid and brave. Good back up to Westwood.
Diakite: he's only played 20 minutes but he was bullying anyone who got close to him; it was hilarious. He's very... full-throttle. He'll get booked a LOT if his cameo is anything to go by.
Roberge: very calm and very comfortable with the ball, definitely our best ball playing centre-half and I feel comfortable saying that having only seen 70 mins of him. Impeccably groomed also.
Cabral: so much energy but very inconsistent with the ball. Got a weird amount of praise for his performance today when I thought he was poor but very much Cattermole with genuine composure.
Ba: I really fucking like this kid. He's not started in the friendlies but he's quick, gets stuck in, has a BRILLIANT first touch and seems to be everywhere. Also he looks odd. Interestingly odd not ARGH WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT odd.
Giak: going from James McClean to him is like Man United going from Bebe to someone who isn't Bebe. Just skins people effortlessly... lightweight but very intelligent and looking to get in and around the box whether it's down the wing or cutting in. Refreshing.
Moberg-Karlsson: another out-of-the-blue signing but like Ba been really impressive after mixed reports from Sweden when he joined. Speedy, good control, battles and has a wicked corner. And his finish v Tottenham showed maturity, he's only 18 I think.
Altidore: shows bits and pieces, nabbed two good assists but he just hasn't looked like scoring. Which is horrifying as Fletch is out until September at least.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So Real still way off our valuation. Levy wants €120m or €105m and Morata.

I hope he doesn't give in, it's too close to the season to sell Bale for anything less. We all know that Madrid will be back in 12 months when they can buy him for €70m.

Messi

So Real still way off our valuation. Levy wants €120m or €105m and Morata.

I hope he doesn't give in, it's too close to the season to sell Bale for anything less. We all know that Madrid will be back in 12 months when they can buy him for €70m.

What if Bale has an average season? It's entirely likely.

Wilbur

Banned
Good post, Hixx. Sunderland are an unknown quantity but not too sure why a lot of people are pegging them for 18th over Cardiff for instance.

Norwich as well, I'm surprised people think will struggle. Olsson, Hooper, Fer and van Wolfswinkel are all improvements on what they already had.

Arnie

I've got no clue who most of those Sunderland players are.

It's brilliant.

I just want the season to begin so I can discover it all for myself. I want to see Di Canio kicking a fourth official in celebration because Giak's scored from his own half.

Clegg

Only way Bale has an average season is if he gets injured and misses a couple of months. He's been getting better and better for the last 3 seasons. He's not going to just go backwards all of a sudden.

Scum

I saw that fur lined Levi's denim jacket in the Levi store the other day for £95.

As soon as my next wad of pay comes in I'm loading with the Royal Bank of Scotland's backing.

Card on table, glint in eye, show me the receipt.
Lol. Nice.

Wilbur

Banned
I know Mannone, Diakite, Giak and Altidore. Dunno about the rest.

Just read that Palace signed Spain's u-20 captain a few weeks ago. Imagine moving from Seville to Croydon :looooooool

Then he stays ;)
Even an average season for Bale should be good enough to get double figures for goals and assists. Especially with Soldado as the striker.

This season really is breaking point for us, no cl and it will be a huge failure with the amount we've invested this summer.

Let's go. I want to hear detailed reasons of why Liverpool will finish better than sixth this year.

Let me hear them.

image.php

Reason enough

The PS4 and Xbox One could outsell the WiiU in one or two days

Ushojax

Only way Bale has an average season is if he gets injured and misses a couple of months. He's been getting better and better for the last seasons. He's not going to just go backwards all of a sudden.

His strong relationship with AVB would hopefully prevent any lack of effort as well.

I still think he'll go but now there are mutterings that the Real squad aren't happy about the crazy money potentially being spent on him. The worst thing would be if Bale makes the move and the twats in the dressing room make life difficult.

L1NETT

Hixx do you think a lot still rests on Sess. If he fires, you will have a good season I reckon but if he doesn't do you not fear you might not have enough firepower and solidarity at the back to have a sustained top half challenge. (Don't think you'll be near the bottom)

Palace, Hull and maybe the Baggies will be around the arse of the table.

Hixx

Hixx do you think a lot still rests on Sess. If he fires, you will have a good season I reckon but if he doesn't do you not fear you might not have enough firepower and solidarity at the back to have a sustained top half challenge. (Don't think you'll be near the bottom)

Palace, Hull and maybe the Baggies will be around the arse of the table.

Yes. While he's here he will always be the difference between a good performance and a mediocre one. If Sess is on form we can score against anyone in the league. When he's not...

Am I too late for the Arsenal sad party? All of our recent transfer windows have been catastrophes, but this one had hope. It's the hope that hurts.

Signing Suarez would never have set well with me. I was begging for Higuain to sign so those rumours would go away. But as the closing of the window neared and he looked to be our only target—and he would undoubtedly improve us—I was just resigned to dealing with it. Now what the fuck are we supposed to do?

I love our guys, I really do. I have faith in all of the players we still have at the club to fight for fourth. But how are we supposed to compete for even that lowly target when we have so little depth that a 5'9" Sagna played more in pre-season as a center back than out right? When everyone around us has upgraded while we've stagnated at best?

GK: Szczesny (Fabianski)

LB: Monreal (Gibbs)
LCB: Mertesacker (Vermaelen)
RCB: Koscielny (N/A, Miquel will be loaned so Sagna is our only cover)
RB: Sagna (Jenkinson)

LM: Rosicky starts, I think. (I dunno. Probably Gnabry.)
CM: Wilshere (Ramsey)
CM: Arteta (Oxlade-Chamberlain)
AM: Cazorla (Diaby if he's not dead. Scheduled to come back around Christmas.)
RM: Walcott (Podolski)

CF: Giroud (Sanogo, I guess.)

That just ain't good enough for anything above fourth, if that. It barely was last year.

I want Xbox One to outsell the PS4 for at least two months, for shits and giggles.

And since when did you dabble in PC gaming. DOTA2, eh?

I don't, watching a fuck-tonne of videos of it though. Decided not to buy Dragon's Crown or those Pulse headphones to free up some money for an eventual PC. Waiting for Laboured to show his face in here so I can double-check that component list he made me, and make sure they're still the best components on the market for my budget

:)

Hixx

"To that end, Irish winger James McClean is heading for Championship side Wigan in a deal worth around £4m."

If we actually get anything close to £4m for James McClean then Wigan are the biggest mugs on the planet.

kharma45

"To that end, Irish winger James McClean is heading for Championship side Wigan in a deal worth around £4m."

If we actually get anything close to £4m for James McClean then Wigan are the biggest mugs on the planet.

Good deal for you guys and Derry City.

Wilbur

Banned
appy burfday u erotic geordie cleopatra
i hope that i can solemnly lament your arousal in my knickers
tokyo get me the tofu from the fridge
dont put it there
happy birthday

Ushojax

Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho, Capoue, Holtby, Carroll

dat midfield

Ushojax

poor gylfi

In the 433 Gylfi can play in 5 of the 6 forward positions. He will get his minutes.

We are going to be in 4 competitions and this kind of depth will stop us from tiring out all the best players by March.

Also happy birthday Willkiller!

Barzul

Don't know wtf Wenger has planned, but he and Gazidis have 2 weeks to come up with magic. Suarez chase isn't over, Liverpool cannot afford to have Suarez warming the bench all year. Chelsea won't come in as Mourinho prefers big physical strikers, hence Rooney chase. That leaves Madrid and if they sign Bale can't see them signing Suarez. Everyone with money in Europe has already spent it, bar Arsenal and Man Utd. Liverpool aren't City where they can afford a Tevez scenario. Makes more sense to sell although I'd hold out for a higher price.

ShogunX

Don't know wtf Wenger has planned, but he and Gazidis have 2 weeks to come up with magic. Suarez chase isn't over, Liverpool cannot afford to have Suarez warming the bench all year. Chelsea won't come in as Mourinho prefers big physical strikers, hence Rooney chase. That leaves Madrid and if they sign Bale can't see them signing Suarez. Everyone with money in Europe has already spent it, bar Arsenal and Man Utd. Liverpool aren't City where they can afford a Tevez scenario. Makes more sense to sell although I'd hold out for a higher price.

Well it seems John Henry has become crazy pissed about the whole thing and vowed never to sell Suarez to Arsenal. :)

Nobody watching the Milan game? Nice goals so far from Balo and Niang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom