• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1LLER7

2am I think. Channel? Dinnit knar.

thanks.

Willys gift, have a crying Suarez

BRGEP-zCcAA3wwn.jpg

Feorax

Don't know wtf Wenger has planned, but he and Gazidis have 2 weeks to come up with magic. Suarez chase isn't over, Liverpool cannot afford to have Suarez warming the bench all year. Chelsea won't come in as Mourinho prefers big physical strikers, hence Rooney chase. That leaves Madrid and if they sign Bale can't see them signing Suarez. Everyone with money in Europe has already spent it, bar Arsenal and Man Utd. Liverpool aren't City where they can afford a Tevez scenario. Makes more sense to sell although I'd hold out for a higher price.

He won't warm the bench. If it comes to Sept 3rd and he's still here, the fucker will be desperate to perform. There's no way he'll want to spend until January without kicking a ball in a world cup season.

Sure, he'll probably be picked anyway, but he'll likely be massively out of sorts in the year he should be in his prime.

Wilbur

Banned
Well it seems John Henry has become crazy pissed about the whole thing and vowed never to sell Suarez to Arsenal. :)

Nobody watching the Milan game? Nice goals so far from Balo and Niang.

Fuck forgot that was on. defo staying up for Chelsea - Cunts

Salvadora

Happy birthday Will!
Well it seems John Henry has become crazy pissed about the whole thing and vowed never to sell Suarez to Arsenal. :)
That's why I don't think we'll get him. John Henry seems to have personally involved himself in this whole affair and a sale now would make him look very bad.

Barzul

Nobody watching the Milan game? Nice goals so far from Balo and Niang.
We'll see, all I know is Suarez is leaving this summer imo. He's burnt all bridges.

Arnie

All I know is, and Barzul you need to read each word of this very carefully:

Liverpool will not sell Suarez to Arsenal. Henry is adamant, Rodgers is adamant, Ayre is ayrdamant.

Arsenal banked their entire summer on a myth spun by the brother of someone who believes strikers are redundant.

Salvadora

We'll see, all I know is Suarez is leaving this summer imo. He's burnt all bridges.
Liverpool are in a very strong position.

If they can hold on to him until the winter window he won't look twice at us. Another big, wealthy, continental European team will be in need of turning their season round

Barzul

He won't warm the bench. If it comes to Sept 3rd and he's still here, the fucker will be desperate to perform. There's no way he'll want to spend until January without kicking a ball in a world cup season.

Sure, he'll probably be picked anyway, but he'll likely be massively out of sorts in the year he should be in his prime.
I think you're underestimating his resolve (maybe I'm overestimating). But a player that says he's ready to take his club to court over a clause, seems like he'll be ready to follow through and sulk his way out in Jan. Also as far as WC goes. If Suarez was injured all season and returned say a month or 2 before the WC, I'm fairly certain he'd still get picked. Playing for Uruguay is a non issue, especially since Forlan is still a starter. If it was Brazil or Argentina, it'd be much less certain.

The atmosphere at the Emirates is already like a crack den of nervous addicts waiting for the next fix to arrive before the cops bust in, we don't sign anyone and I'll have a mental breakdown come Villa.

Liverpool will not sell Suarez to Arsenal. Henry is adamant, Rodgers is adamant, Ayre is ayrdamant.

Aye, as were we about Van Persie not going to Manchester United last year. I have complete faith in Liverpool however to keep their resolve, and that also bugs me. Our absolute flimsiness when it comes to players, contracts, transfers—the whole lot. A travesty.

It's a long shot that Cesc goes to United (I very highly super duper doubt it), but if he does I really don't think I could watch any football this season. Definitely not in the Prem. It will have officially become hazardous to my well-being.

Scum

I don't, watching a fuck-tonne of videos of it though. Decided not to buy Dragon's Crown or those Pulse headphones to free up some money for an eventual PC. Waiting for Laboured to show his face in here so I can double-check that component list he made me, and make sure they're still the best components on the market for my budget

:)
Kharma did a shopping list for my new PC as well and still haven't taken the plunge. Lol
I might have to watch some of this DOTA2 stuff too.

Feorax

I think you're underestimating his resolve (maybe I'm overestimating). But a player that says he's ready to take his club to court over a clause, seems like he'll be ready to follow through and sulk his way out in Jan. Also as far as WC goes. If Suarez was injured all season and returned say a month or 2 before the WC, I'm fairly certain he'd still get picked. Playing for Uruguay is a non issue, especially since Forlan is still a starter. If it was Brazil or Argentina, it'd be much less certain.

Possibly, but then again, I don't think his resolve matters. Even the PFA think he's fucked, so the PL and a civil court probably won't find much different.

And I'd bet anything he'll be picked for Uruguay, but several months without football will guarantee he's not at his best. And he's, 26, so he'll probably never be at his absolute peak for a WC again after this one.

Barzul

Liverpool are in a very strong position.

If they can hold on to him until the winter window he won't look twice at us. Another big, wealthy, continental European team will be in need of turning their season round
And they're at a risk of jeopardizing their season by hanging on to an unmotivated player who doesn't want to be there and is creating tension in their dressing room. What guarantee is there that Liverpool will have a good season? None. They've continually regressed ever since Rafa left. Better off they sell now, offer Jackson Martinez or Lopez a contract he can't refuse and take charge of their season, now their season will be plagued with talk of where it where isn't Suarez going. The psychological effect should not be ignored.

Arnie

Aye, as were we about Van Persie not going to Manchester United last year.
The two are so far removed it bears no worth comparing them.

You had to sell Van Persie because of his contract. We have no obligation to sell Suarez whatsoever. There's no ticking clock telling is that he'll walk out in six months for nothing.

You weren't in the driving seat, so United dictated the race. We are completely in control. There's no legal action Suarez can take, even if he tries, and there's nothing to demand that we sell, especially to Arsenal.

Arnie

how many years did Torres have left on his contract when Liverpool sold him to Chelsea?
That was different because it was obscene money for a player in a massive decline (our medical staff knew he was fucked).

It's like if Suarez had been shit for six months, had a crocked body, and you offered us £70 million. We'd snap your hand off.

faridmon

I thought the clause was no longer valid?

Valid until late august as far as I know. Either way, we should ask for 20m minimum which is still similar to the release clause.

Martinez said he intends not selling him, but I want him out. He isn't interested, plus we need money for Mcarthy.

Salvadora

The atmosphere at the Emirates is already like a crack den of nervous addicts waiting for the next fix to arrive before the cops bust in, we don't sign anyone and I'll have a mental breakdown come Villa.
They made a mistake in coming so forward with their newfound financial clout. It created a level of (realistic) expectations which they so far haven't delivered on. Fans shouldn't have booed Higuain at the Emirates, but this summer has bred a poisonous atmosphere around the club. Years of frustration are bubbling beneath the surface, ready to erupt.

ShogunX

Possibly, but then again, I don't think his resolve matters. Even the PFA think he's fucked, so the PL and a civil court probably won't find much different.

And I'd bet anything he'll be picked for Uruguay, but several months without football will guarantee he's not at his best. And he's, 26, so he'll probably never be at his absolute peak for a WC again after this one.

It's still in the balance if Uruguay will even qualify for the World cup. Suarez is going to have to take part in qualifying games before then so I doubt he will be sulking and not playing when he has his countries chances on his back.

I find it hard to believe now that we would sell to Arsenal because if we do we all look like twats and serious question will be asked. We the fans will also get some shit flung our way.

With the above in mind unless the horrible bastards of Madrid come calling - I fully expect Suarez to make a public apology within a week or two.

If he goes to Arsenal fuck each and every one of you! LFC fans aside

Feorax

They made a mistake in coming so forward with their newfound financial clout. It created a level of (realistic) expectations which they so far haven't delivered on. Fans shouldn't have booed Higuain at the Emirates, but this summer has bred a poisonous atmosphere around the club. Years of frustration are bubbling beneath the surface, ready to erupt.

I'm actually fascinated by Arsenal's next move.

If Suarez doesn't happen, which seems likely, then Arsenal surely have to deliver a big signing, given the posturing this summer.

Arnie

I'm actually fascinated by Arsenal's next move.

If Suarez doesn't happen, which seems likely, then Arsenal surely have to deliver a big signing, given the posturing this summer.
The only one I can think of is Fabregas and that would be hilarious because he doesn't even fit into their squad.

They should spend proper money on a proper keeper.

The two are so far removed it bears no worth comparing them.

I would have preferred, and Arsene would have as well if his words to the press were worth a damn, to have him just play out his contract. Some extenuating factor swayed Wenger's original stance on that, and it wasn't the transfer fee. Maybe Robin asked him very nicely and looked like he was about to cry. Few saline drops or something like that.

Even if the situation isn't directly analogous, it is indicative of Arsene putting too much trust into his players. Robin was well-worth tying to a longer contract the summer prior to that one, or the summer prior to that one, injured or not. Fuck's sake, Rosicky is starting this year and Diaby already has a nice Christmas return date on his injury, just in time to be "like a new signing" come January. And Robin is the one you don't give an extension to while he's on the physio's table?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom