• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing I don't get is that United are willing to buy anyone in other positions, like Buttner, even though they are obviously not quality/not needed, yet don't do the same for a cm.

Lightning

Banned
I don't know, the problem is that everyone knows our CB woes so they aren't going to sell us a player for the price that would normally cost a good CB (25-30 millions).

there has to be more CBs in the world, I mean shit, football is played everywhere. what the fuck are the scouts doing????
I know the frustration well. We've had a striker issue all season yet we spend an entire transfer window chasing Suarez...

You guys have been linked with so many CB's though. Vertongen, Agger, Vermaelen, Koscieleny, Silva, Hummels, Martinez among more. You would think you'd have signed one of them by now.

If I worked for Ready At Dawn, I'd be getting pretty pissed off about the way Sony plastered Sony Santa Monica over the The Order: 1666 trailer. So many people seem unaware that its a Ready At Dawn game

Cory Balrog back at SSM. FUCK YES.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I know the frustration well. We've had a striker issue all season yet we spend an entire transfer window chasing Suarez...

You guys have been linked with so many CB's though. Vertongen, Agger, Vermaelen, Koscieleny, Silva, Hummels, Martinez among more. You would think you'd have signed one of them by now.

I don't get why we can't do signings like Adriano, dude cost us 10 million and he has been great. By signings like Adriano, I mean cheap but great players.

Waiting for the first hardware revision or drop in price. It has little to appeal to me atm. I just hope our PSN names carry over, I dont want to lose mine.

I'm sure you'll be given a choice with the names. Not sure whether to change mine. Hopefully Sony will let us change the names after making accounts, even if its costs a quid or so.

Lightning

Banned
Rumours starting to heat upo again that another bid for Suarez is on the way. Reported anywhere between 45-51m being mooted.

Hopefully we do it quickly so both clubs can move on either way. Probably with failure.

bjaelke

You get the option to display you real name on the PS4 but they haven't talked about the possibility of changing the PSN id.

AXd89TC.jpg

Waiting for the first hardware revision or drop in price. It has little to appeal to me atm. I just hope our PSN names carry over, I dont want to lose mine.

This question keeps popping up, I find it a bit silly to think you can sign in with one account across so many devices even a mobile phone but not the companies next big console.

Admittedly, asking that question about XBL is even stupider but this one is filled under "silly".

Rumours starting to heat upo again that another bid for Suarez is on the way. Reported anywhere between 45-51m being mooted.

Hopefully we do it quickly so both clubs can move on either way. Probably with failure.

£51m for a player who may well end up sat on his arse at home all year sounds tempting to me tbh. Not gonna happen though. Hopefully his value doesn;t depreciate too much before January/next summer.

Everyone play the Unearthed demo on the PS store. Worst controls and animation I've ever seen

GorillaJu

The issue with selling Suarez is the quality of replacement. Selling him this late in the window would put us in the same position where we were with Torres, getting bent over for a deal on Andy Carroll.

If we were able to get Diego Costa, I'd be comfortable with Suarez leaving.

But if the destination is Arsenal, we simply cannot sell. Strengthening them would be suicide.

Lightning

Banned
£51m for a player who may well end up sat on his arse at home all year sounds tempting to me tbh. Not gonna happen though. Hopefully his value doesn;t depreciate too much before January/next summer.

Everyone play the Unearthed demo on the PS store. Worst controls and animation I've ever seen
It won't happen most likely, no. But unless you guys further strengthen you are wasting your time as you are not strong enough to get into the CL with the players you have.

kharma45

I'm sure you'll be given a choice with the names. Not sure whether to change mine. Hopefully Sony will let us change the names after making accounts, even if its costs a quid or so.

As long as someone can't take mine before I get one lol

This question keeps popping up, I find it a bit silly to think you can sign in with one account across so many devices even a mobile phone but not the companies next big console.

Admittedly, asking that question about XBL is even stupider but this one is filled under "silly".

It's Sony, you never know :p common sense doesn't always apply.

Meier

But if the destination is Arsenal, we simply cannot sell. Strengthening them would be suicide.

Yeah, I made a post to this effect the other day. Arsenal and Liverpool are both battling for 4th at best for the foreseeable future. If LFC gives AFC their best player, they're ostensibly throwing in the towel. There is no scenario where they can sell Suarez to AFC.

It won't happen most likely, no. But unless you guys further strengthen you are wasting your time as you are not strong enough to get into the CL with the players you have.

I assume our thinking is that the depreciation in his value from now to next summer is an acceptable loss to prevent us from directly strengthening you. And who knows, maybe his attitude will improve and he'll actually conrtribute this season.

FootballFan

Who was better in their prime:

Eto'o or Henry?

Eto'o was/is a machine, he went to the money leagues too early in his career imo. He was still a beast at inter after Mou left, scored 37 goals in that one season after Mou.

He's still 32 man... Just look at his stats, 1 goal every 2 games for Cameroon, Barca, Mallorca, Inter and Anzhi. Dat consistency.

It's really hard to pick between the 2 for me. Eto'o hated Real Madrid even though he started out there and was just incredible for us, 2 CL final goals. He is Cameroons all time top scorer, best African player of all time(no Drogba isn't), 3 time CL winner etc.

I can't really pick, though I know most will say Henry as he is a PL legend. I put them as equals, Henry was just so amazing.

Fuck whoever decided to sell Eto'o + 40m for fucking Ibra. God damn man. It still annoys me today.

<3 Eto'o and Henry, stop doing this to me hitch.

These rumours of Eto'o to Napoli though......would love to see that.

Just watched the highlights of Rios testimonial. I am glad to see Marin (The German Shaun Wright Phillips) pissing on their party. I remember Vialli doing the same thing at Fergusons testimonial in 1999.
Did anyone see Rios kids? Shave the afro off one of them and he looks the spitting image of John Terry.

Eto'o was/is a machine, he went to the money leagues too early in his career imo. He was still a beast at inter after Mou left, scored 37 goals in that one season after Mou.

He's still 32 man... Just look at his stats, 1 goal every 2 games for Cameroon, Barca, Mallorca, Inter and Anzhi. Dat consistency.

It's really hard to pick between the 2 for me. Eto'o hated Real Madrid even though he started out there and was just incredible for us, 2 CL final goals. He is Cameroons all time top scorer, best African player of all time(no Drogba isn't), 3 time CL winner etc.

I can't really pick, though I know most will say Henry as he is a PL legend. I put them as equals, Henry was just so amazing.

Fuck whoever decided to sell Eto'o + 40m for fucking Ibra. God damn man. It still annoys me today.

<3 Eto'o and Henry, stop doing this to me hitch.

These rumours of Eto'o to Napoli though......would love to see that.

While I wouldn't disagree with that, I think at his best, Drogba is the best striker I've ever seen (bear in mind I only really started in 07). Complete package

Fast (not lightning, but quicker than most)
Ridiculously strong
Brilliant header
Brilliant control
Good passer
Good finisher (both feet, all distances)
Good set pieces
Good at getting his teammates involved
Brilliant movement
Played well in the big games

Rooney beating him to Player of the Year in 2010 was ridiculous, as many goals as he scored.

FootballFan

Henry for me. I am so biased though, as he is probably my favourite player ever. lol

Henry was my favourite non-Barca player, was so happy when he joined :D

I'll win this, anyone remember Henry's hand ball cheat vs Ireland.

That should do it.

Glad Barca gave him what Arsenal couldn't. CL glory :p

Lightning

Banned
I assume our thinking is that the depreciation in his value from now to next summer is an acceptable loss to prevent us from directly strengthening you. And who knows, maybe his attitude will improve and he'll actually conrtribute this season.
I'm not that worried, We bring in 2 defensive players as reports are suggesting and even a decent striker to support Giroud and we will be fine this season.

I'd take Modric over Afro currently mainly because Afro would be better used as a CF I also think Modric and Carrick would be nice.

Everyone would take Modric. The problem lies in Madrid's willingness to sell. I think he's easier to get than Fabregas as his transfer wasn't seen as needed, but Madrid fans began to like him by the end of the season.

I'm not that worried, We bring in 2 defensive players as reports are suggesting and even a decent striker to support Giroud and we will be fine this season.

Giroud should be a supporting a great striker. Someone to support Giroud would still mean your strikeforce isn't one to be feared.

bjaelke

The issue with selling Suarez is the quality of replacement. Selling him this late in the window would put us in the same position where we were with Torres, getting bent over for a deal on Andy Carroll.

If we were able to get Diego Costa, I'd be comfortable with Suarez leaving.

Rodgers killed the Costa story yesterday.

Dunno. Think Spurs are favourites for fourth tbh (assuming Bale stays. )

They have a much better squad than last year, a manager who's implemented his philosophy which should prevent thrown away points like the Norwich draw, important players back from injury and its more likely that Bale will play well throughout the season than not.

FootballFan

They have a much better squad than last year, a manager who's implemented his philosophy which should prevent thrown away points like the Norwich draw, important players back from injury and its more likely that Bale will play well throughout the season than not.

You're right, I'm going to start using Tottenham on FIFA now.

COYS!

Lightning

Banned
Giroud should be a supporting a great striker. Someone to support Giroud would still mean your strikeforce isn't one to be feared.
Yeah I know even with someone like Higuain our strikeforce wouldn't be that fearsome. Players like Suarez, RVP, Cavani etc... are not that easy to get.

I would strong suggest Arsenal would throw all the Suarez at Rooney. At least that's what people seem to think we're going to do should our Suarez pursuit end in failure.

We get a quality striker Rooney/Suarez etc, Gustavo and the RB we're chasing and I feel we have a better squad than Spurs.

FootballFan

You'll come crawling back when Sturridge styles on those wannabe Irish knobends North of the border

I'll jizz myself silly if Studge comes back today.

Will both your fans sing YNWA? Who does it better? Massive friendly, this is where it's decided once and for all.

Almost as massive as Malaysian XI vs Neygod + 10 others.

FootballFan

:lol the youtube comments on "you'll never walk alone" video.

*comment has been flagged as spam*
*click show*
"Hope Liverpool make ucl"

Things are bad when that is flagged as spam lol.

My favourite though:

"im&#65279; a scouse red

il hear this at my christening

il hear it at my first game

il hear it at my wedding

il hear it at my childrens christenings and weddings

but most importantly

youll here it at my funeral

YNWA"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom