• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tc91

Go and see Alpha Papa when you get a chance chaps. Hilarious, laughed more than I did in The World's End.

Saw a clip of it on Sunday Brunch looks so funny. Is there a Geordie in it called Michael? He was on it and I didn't know he is the voice of the meerkats.

Showaddy

Really baffled as to why we haven't bid for him, and the only conclusion I can draw up is that Brendan thinks Coutinho's better in that position, and we're after wider players instead. Seems strange to me that Spurs would be interested considering the wealth of options they already have in his position.

I get the impression that managers are scouting him, and asking around about him, and they're being told he has a really significant flaw in his game.

To be fair whilst we've got some great defensive/box to box midfielders our attacking midfielders aren't exactly world class. Neither Sigurdsson or Holtby were consistently good for any length of time.

Wes

venison crêpe
VNqUHZB.jpg

Arnie

To be fair whilst we've got some great defensive/box to box midfielders our attacking midfielders aren't exactly world class. Neither Sigurdsson or Holtby were consistently good for any length of time.

But you've bought them both in the last 12 months and they're both on sizeable contracts. Surely it's the job of the coaching staff to work with the players they've brought in, rather than just keep buying new players when their form is in a rut.

A deficiency in scouting/coaching shouldn't be costing you £10-15 million per transfer window.

Slizz

Laughing at predictions is as pointless as making predictions.

Obviously he's trying to get attention and his picks represent that.

C'mon then, let's do predictions for the opening weeked:

Liverpool 3 v 1 Stoke

Arsenal 2 v 2 Aston Villa

Norwich 2 v 1 Everton

Sunderland 1 v 0 Fulham

West Brom 1 v 1 Southampton

West Ham 2 v 0 Cardiff

Swansea 1 v 1 Man Utd

Crystal Palace 0 v 3 Tottenham

Chelsea 4 v 0 Hull

Newcastle 0 v 2 Man City

Wilbur

Banned
Liverpool 2 v 0 Stoke

Arsenal 2 v 1 Aston Villa

Norwich 2 v 1 Everton

Sunderland 2 v 0 Fulham

West Brom 1 v 2 Southampton

West Ham 2 v 1 Cardiff

Swansea 1 v 1 Man Utd

Crystal Palace 1 v 3 Tottenham

Chelsea 3 v 0 Hull

Newcastle 1 v 2 Man City

Wes

venison crêpe
Liverpool 4 v 1 Stoke
Arsenal 1 v 1 Aston Villa
Norwich 0 v 0 Everton
Sunderland 2 v 1 Fulham
West Brom 1 v 1 Southampton
West Ham 3 v 1 Cardiff
Swansea 2 v 1 Man Utd
Crystal Palace 1 v 2 Tottenham
Chelsea 6 v 0 Hull
Newcastle 0 v 2 Man City

Mastadon

Banned
Liverpool 3 v 1 Stoke

Arsenal 2 v 2 Aston Villa

Norwich 1 v 1 Everton

Sunderland 1 v 0 Fulham

West Brom 1 v 3 Southampton

West Ham 2 v 3 Cardiff

Swansea 1 v 2 Man Utd

Crystal Palace 1 v 4 Tottenham

Chelsea 6 v 0 Hull

Newcastle 1 v 3 Man City

Liverpool 1 v 2 Stoke

Arsenal 5 v 0 Aston Villa

Norwich 1 v 3 Everton

Sunderland 1 v 2 Fulham

West Brom 1 v 3 Southampton

West Ham 2 v 0 Cardiff

Swansea 3 v 1 Man Utd

Crystal Palace 1 v 0 Tottenham

Chelsea 3 v 0 Hull

Newcastle 1 v 1 Man City

Showaddy

But you've bought them both in the last 12 months and they're both on sizeable contracts. Surely it's the job of the coaching staff to work with the players they've brought in, rather than just keep buying new players when their form is in a rut.

A deficiency in scouting/coaching shouldn't be costing you £10-15 million per transfer window.

Whilst that's true sometimes you just have to accept a player isn't good enough and just cut your losses. Holtby was ridiculously cheap (like £1.5 mil) and has shown a lot of potential and needs some refinement so that's fair enough.

Sigurdsson on the other hand was brought in after he had a great half season with Swansea and just hasn't adjusted to playing in a big team where the attack isn't built around him. His form has ranged from average to absolutely dire so it really wouldn't surprise me if he's offloaded within the next year for a reasonable sum.

phaze

Bale to RM is officially dead.

For all the reasons mentioned last night. Bale is set to stay at Spurs for at least one more season.

Not sure if that's good or bad news for other PL clubs. I suppose the latter as you wouldn't be able to spend all that monies in this transfer window.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Whilst that's true sometimes you just have to accept a player isn't good enough and just cut your losses. Holtby was ridiculously cheap (like £1.5 mil) and has shown a lot of potential and needs some refinement so that's fair enough.

Sigurdsson on the other hand was brought in after he had a great half season with Swansea and just hasn't adjusted to playing in a big team where the attack isn't built around him. His form has ranged from average to absolutely dire so it really wouldn't surprise me if he's offloaded within the next year for a reasonable sum.

I think there is still a lot more to come from Sigurdsson, his personality is what has held him back with us. He's too quiet and too modest, even against Espanyol there were 3 instances where a player like Bale would have shot and probably scored, he had a clear sight of goal, but instead he tried to tee someone else up and the chance was gone. He has a great long distance strike, he needs to be more confident.

Twitter will only show ones if you're mentioned or DM'd. It's not a widget like Android where it will live stream tweets. But yeah for detailed info most apps need to be double wide or at least medium sized to allow them to flip over and give info.

For sports check out the new Bing Sports app. Fairly solid but no lock screen support yet.

Seems like a cool app, thanks. Also downloaded Bing News, handy. Won't bother with weather, as I can just look outside my window :p

Any recommendations for cases? Preferably one that can use the wireless charger?

Slizz

Has Paulinho played in preseason for Tottenham? Have that guy on my FF team and he costs too much if he's going to get inconsistent play time.

Hixx

Liverpool 3 v 0 Stoke
Arsenal 2 v 1 Aston Villa
Norwich 1 v 1 Everton
Sunderland 2 v 2 Fulham
West Brom 2 v 1 Southampton
West Ham 2 v 0 Cardiff
Swansea 1 v 2 Man Utd
Crystal Palace 0 v 3 Tottenham
Chelsea 6 v 0 Hull
Man City 3 v 0 Newcastle

Meier

Has Paulinho played in preseason for Tottenham? Have that guy on my FF team and he costs too much if he's going to get inconsistent play time.

Doesn't seem worth it if he costs a lot. Probably will be more of a holding midfielder -- has the ability to score but not sure that is going to be his role there at Spurs.

L1NETT

Liverpool 1 v 0 Stoke
Arsenal 3 v 0 Aston Villa
Norwich 0 v 0 Everton
Sunderland 0 v 1 Fulham
West Brom 2 v 2 Southampton
West Ham 1 v 1 Cardiff
Swansea 0 v 1 Man Utd
Crystal Palace 0 v 1 Tottenham
Chelsea 5 v 0 Hull
Newcastle 0 v 2 Man City

TeegsD

I've been bitching for the longest that I wished EPL Fantasy was like NFL Fantasy where your team played against another persons team. I go to make a league today and boom, the option that has been a mystery for me for the longest has been right there all this time. Doesn't seem like anyone uses it though =|

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Played against Espanyol on Saturday.

He will be in the starting XI for the forseeable future while Sandro recovers, I'm sure he will get forward a fair amount. He had a goal wrongly ruled out on Saturday and should also have scored another chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom