• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna miss Gustavo at Bayern.

I see a lot of people talk about him as an Alex Song replacement.

He'll be much better for Arsenal than Alex Song ever was. Song was a terrible DM because he didn't know how to play the position. Gets a few good tackles every now and then but he was still atrocious defensively since he was never where he's supposed to be.

Gustavo's a DM wizard, and the only reason he wasn't in the first team last season was because Bayern also happened to have the best DM in the world on their squad.

It's Götze who is legit chubby

wk3HaAq.jpg

Dat belly

Salvadora

Gonna miss Gustavo at Bayern.

I see a lot of people talk about him as an Alex Song replacement.

He'll be much better for Arsenal than Alex Song ever was. Song was a terrible DM because he didn't know how to play the position. Gets a few good tackles every now and then but he was still atrocious defensively since he was never where he's supposed to be.

Gustavo's a DM wizard, and the only reason he wasn't in the first team last season was because Bayern also happened to have the best DM in the world on their squad.

How is he at CB?

Salvadora

Serviceable in a pinch, but he's not quick enough to play that position with consistency. Not that it'd be a huge problem for Arsenal though. Y'all got Per Mertesacker.

Fine at LB though.
Thanks so much for the information, Hasphat'sAnts!

I really hope we pull this one off. His versatility sounds wonderful and it's a position we've been majorly lacking in.

L1NETT

Why the fuck are we being linked to Troy Deeney? His goal record is fantastic but he's a convicted criminal, he plays in the Championship and he looks like a hammerhead shark that's had it's head smashed in with a trowel.

Lol. Bit of a lump, but can finish. Watford need him though, they could blitz the championship with some of their players.

Speaking of Watford, one of the best kits this season.

130607-homekitorder-4x3286-857849_478x359.jpg

Seems like alot of United fans think we should be in for Gustavo too.

Not convinced myself, Carrick would still be first choice and I don't think Gustavo + Carrick would be a good midfield. But then he is still better than all the other stuff we have.

Thoughts United-GAF?

kharma45

Not convinced myself, Carrick would still be first choice and I don't think Gustavo + Carrick would be a good midfield. But then he is still better than all the other stuff we have.

Thoughts United-GAF?

I think we should be, he's a different option than what we have at the minute, seems to be fairly well priced and if Carrick gets out injured we've no one really who is any good at tidying up in front of defence with regards to interceptions and that sort of defensive play.

To be frank we need all the options in midfield we can get. If we lose Carrick a midfield consisting of Cleverly and Anderson is going to be fine going forward but will I suspect be weak defensively. Without Darren Fletcher we're too light in players who can sit back and help out with the defense and whilst it's not Carrick's forte he does a very, very good job of keeping things calm, collected and tidy there.

Showaddy

Thoughts United-GAF?

I don't know United central midfield looks really frail at times, you could certainly do with some more ballast there.

You'd probably be better off with someone in the mould of Dembele or Fellaini though who are better footballers.

I think we should be, he's a different option than what we have at the minute, seems to be fairly well priced and if Carrick gets out injured we've no one really who is any good at tidying up in front of defence with regards to interceptions and that sort of defensive play.

To be frank we need all the options in midfield we can get. If we lose Carrick a midfield consisting of Cleverly and Anderson is going to be fine going forward but will I suspect be weak defensively. Without Darren Fletcher we're too light in players who can sit back and help out with the defense and whilst it's not Carrick's forte he does a very, very good job of keeping things calm, collected and tidy there.

That's true.

To be clearer, what I mean is that I'd rather somebody else than Gustavo. For example Kondogbia, similarish price and he's young etc. Or then another more all rounded midfielder.

But for sure, we need bodies in midfield, scary thinking we are going to be going what, 5 years now? not adding anybody there.

Thanks so much for the information, Hasphat'sAnts!

I really hope we pull this one off. His versatility sounds wonderful and it's a position we've been majorly lacking in.

Bayern fans like Gustavo a lot. Never griped when he lost his starting job even though he turned in an awesome performance 2 years ago. Always played his butt off when his number was called even after he was benched.

Just an all around good dude.

I don't know United central midfield looks really frail at times, you could certainly do with some more ballast there.

You'd probably be better off with someone in the mould of Dembele or Fellaini though who are better footballers.

Neither of whom have ever turned in a performance as great as Gustavo's at the Bernabeu. Or on a bigger stage. So there's that.

kharma45

That's true.

To be clearer, what I mean is that I'd rather somebody else than Gustavo. For example Kondogbia, similarish price and he's young etc.

But for sure, we need bodies in midfield, scary thinking we are going to be going what, 5 years now? not adding anybody there.

It's not as if Carrick is getting any younger either, turned 32 last month and whilst he's the sort of player that doesn't rely on pace for his game he will need to be replaced sooner rather than later.

With regards to Kondogbia in my mind he'd be a bit more of a gamble as I feel that players coming from Germany would have an easier time adapting to the PL. However he is as you say younger but even then Gustavo is not exactly old either and is more experienced so I'd be less hesitant to rely upon him. Both would be good additions to our team and would I hope see Jones having to play in CM a lot less.

Salvadora

Fuck, just read that Arsenal's £150m sponsorship deal has a number of performance related clauses.

We'll earn 'somewhat less' if we fail to qualify for the Champion's League. We're gonna implode if we miss it, Christ.
Bayern fans like Gustavo a lot. Never griped when he lost his starting job even though he turned in an awesome performance 2 years ago. Always played his butt off when his number was called even after he was benched.

Just an all around good dude.
Glad to hear that everyone sings his praises. At 26 he has his best years ahead of him and being able to get regular football in a world cup year must be very important to him.

kharma45

Surely Jones would count as a shit Utd defender, given his high price and poor return thus far

Considering he's been playing in midfield more than defence I'd disagree. His position is CB but he never gets the chance to play there. In the community shield I had hoped Smalling would be moved to RB but Jones had to make way, his versatility going against him. Until he gets a good run at CB it'll be unfair to evaluate him.

Meier

German newspapers are reporting Gustavo could leave for 17m euros, the same amount that Bayern paid for him two years ago. Definitely a bargain.

He hasn't been a consistent starter in 2 years -- probably a good deal for Bayern if they get the same as they bought him for, frankly.

Hulk has competition for biggest butt in male sports. Check out Juan Uribe of the Dodgers:

It might be a good idea to start playing him in his proper position then.

He's young, give him time. His first few months at the club were brilliant, it's obvious he has ability.

I get wound up by his clear lack of technical ability. He's not got enough to him atm to be playing anywhere other than CB or RB. This CM business is just awful. He's unacceptably bad there.

Even if you're 90% sure they'd do just as well in that position, why spend 6M more for that uncertainty when you can get someone who's been on the biggest of stages and performed?

Players in the Premier League is just overpriced in general.

It's not really about Gustavo not being good, more other players being more suited to the particular needs that United have.

If we signed Gustavo I'd be happy, he's a very good player...but it would be £15m spent but really we'd still need to buy another one or 2 midfielders at least.

It's one thing being physically strong in midfield and another being able to protect a back line. Song was poor at the latter.

Anyway, Arseblog pretty much sums up my feelings on the Gustavo rumours...

Pros

- Defensively minded midfielder and we need a midfielder
- Versatile, can fill in at left back and centre-half (areas we’re a bit short in right now)
- 26, plenty of experience
- Has won things so brings that mentality to the club
- Wants to leave Bayern, would be happy to come to us
- Reasonable fee for a player of his stature

Cons

- Not free
- Would cost money
- Would plunge us into a transfer deficit for this summer
- Almost too easy now, where’s the challenge?

All perfectly cromulent, but, to paraphrase Ivan Gazidis talking about the manager, ‘What makes sense to you and I isn’t necessarily what makes sense to Arsene Wenger’. Beyond the newspaper speculation there’s no real suggestion that we’re after him. Apparently Arsene Wenger said something vague in his post Man City press conference, but I remain unconvinced we’re really interested.

Perhaps it’s this summer beating me down, but the idea of us signing a good player from a top club for a reasonable fee seems ludicrous to me. It makes so much sense it has to be a trap of some kind. Not quite too good to be true, but simply so obvious and helpful to us that we would eschew any interest in it because of that.

We’re like footballing hipsters. We want to discover what’s cool ourselves, find it before anyone else does, and if someone tells us about something that’s already cool we’ll tilt our gigantic glasses, twirl our ridiculous, wispy moustache, stand with one hand on the hip of our ridiculously tight, pink three-quarter length sailor pants and say ‘Yeah, but have you got a 16 year old from Ethiopia?’

So, let’s see what happens, but I’m not really sure there’s anything going on here beyond a player answering a question. I suspect, had their been a bid from us, or real interest, his answer would probably have been a bit more guarded, as that is the way Arsenal like to do things. Time will tell, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom