• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 | OT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueBlue

Yeah, we are essentially gambling on our midfield and striker situation, which were our primary areas of concern last season. I suppose we will see later whether it was a good idea to bring in Van Ginkel instead of a more established player and whether Lukaku is ready to lead the line. We might still sign another striker, but even then it was a risk to put all our eggs into the Rooney basket and not secure a signing before the start of the season.

Hmmm, even Mou said that it might take a year or two to become a winning side. I'm just not sure that success will be as instant as it was lasg.time. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Carbonox

:lol The official Champions League Facebook Page:

Liga champions Barcelona and title pretenders Real Madrid will be wary of the growing threat posed by a Atlético side strengthened by David Villa's arrival

DominoKid

EPL
1. Man Utd (clank so hard)
2. Chelsea
3. Man City
4. Tottenham
5. Arsenal
6. Swansea
7. Liverpool
---
18. Cardiff
19. Hull
20. Palace

FA Cup: Man City
League Cup: Liverpool

Champions League: Chelsea

Clegg

You'd think Wenger would have learned his lesson about waiting until the last minute before signing players.

Last time he did that Arsenal lost 8-2.

What a day that was.

Lightning

Banned
That's fair enough, and I agree with that completely, but I think the criticism stems from the fact that he's left it so late again. It just seems insane to me that you're going in to the first game of the season barely able to fill your bench. It leaves you in a vulnerable position when negotiating with clubs and players, too.
We were always going to be vulnerable to that. Ever since Gazidis mouthed off at the start of the window about how much money we had, fans growing and very public unrest, the pressure was always there and everyone knows it.

I am pretty sure we are going to strike a deal for Ashley Williams for example. Although he wouldn't be my first choice but having a Willaims/Vermaelen/Kos/Mertesacker as centre back selection should be enough and all have enough experience to do a job.

It would have been better to have this done early but clearly our club wanted rid of the deadwood first and couldn't have anticipated an injury situation like the one we have.

Tegris

I'm one of the few who predicts Liverpool to finish above Spurs and Arsenal.

Because I'm a stupid cunt/biased cunt/prophet.

You just wait.

Willian/Coutinho/Suarez/Sturridge

I've learnt my lesson after Mkhitaryan. I'm all pessimism, all the time now. Sparky's gonna do us.

FootballFan

I'm always up for an opportunity to embarrass myself:

1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Man Utd
4. Spurs
5. Arsenal
6. Liverpool
7. Swansea
8. Southampton
9. Everton
10. West Ham
11. West Brom
12. Aston Villa
13. Newcastle
14. Norwich
15. Sunderland
16. Cardiff
17. Fulham
18. Stoke
19. Palace
20. Hull

League Cup: Spurs
FA Cup: Man City
Champions League: PSG
Europa League: Galatasaray

Mate, Reid will carry the Hammers to European competitions.

I am going to take a gamble and put Chamakh in my fantasy football team, 5pts is too much for someone who has been utterly shit for almost 3 whole years but I have this crazy gut feeling he will do the gooners a favour and score a couple against spurs on the weekend.

sohois

Can anyone with some skills turn this Sandro into an avatar pretty please? :p

oUvHxog.png

Why?

Before his injury his form was triffic. It's going to take a few games for him to get back to the pace and fitness of the premier league but he is consistent. Such a relief having him in front of the back four too. Makes us look much tighter at the back. Plus he's got his pal Paulinho.

kharma45

My predictions

1. Manchester United
2. Manchester City
3. Chelsea
4. Spurs
5. Swansea
6. Arsenal
7. Liverpool
8. Southampton
9. Aston Villa
10. Newcastle
11. Sunderland
12. West Ham
13. Fulham
14. West Brom
15. Everton
16. Stoke
17. Norwich
18. Cardiff
19. Palace
20. Hull

FA Cup - Spurs
League Cup - Chelsea
Champions League - PSG

Hindle

Banned
I think a lot of people are underestimating Spurs this season. With or without Bale, they've got a great squad and a young, experienced, mentally strong manager.

Just one day until the Premier League season kicks off and it's time to do the predictions. I quickly went through the thread and quoted the (legitimate?) predictions. Let me know if I missed any. I'll continue to update this post until kick off tomorrow.

As the infamous Denis Dyack once said: "Put up or shut up!"

lol, mine's not legitimate. i mean, c'mon, no way Newcastle finishes that high.

LEGITIMATE PREDICTIONS

1 - Chelsea
2 - City
3 - Tottenham
4 - United
5 - Norwich
6 - Arsenal
7 - Swansea
8 - Aston Villa
9 - Liverpool
10 - Everton
11 - Southampton
12 - West Ham
13 - Fulham
14 - Sunderland
15 - Newcastle
16 - WBA
17 - Crystal Palace
18 - Tigers
19 - Cardiff
20 - Stoke

La Liga: Madrid

Serie A: Juve

Liga ZON: Benfica

Eredutch: Ajax

French: PSG

Bundas Liga: Dortmund

Denmark: not Copenhaga (lol, Wooden)

CL: Chelsea
EL: Spurs

Tegris

Mate, Reid will carry the Hammers to European competitions.

If Allardyce's best plan is Downing putting the ball on Carroll's head then I think I'm being a bit generous! They'll be solid at the back though. 0-0 draws everywhere.

Winston's in my FPL team though.

I think Spurs will be in the top 4 this season ahead of Arsenal. They've bought well, look to have kept their best player and AVB is a great manager. Much better squad than Arsenal too.

Wilbur

Banned
Their midfield too is still laughably bad for a club of their stature. They lack both a true defensive midfielder and a creator of chances in the middle of the park. A trio of Giggs-Carrick-Cleverley is incredibly static and provides none of the drive forward or protection for the defence they sorely need. Tottenham already had two excellent midfielders last year in Sandro and Mousa Dembele, and bolstered that position with Paulinho and Etienne Capoue this summer. Why didn’t United? They’re seemingly searching for a midfielder who only exists in fantasy. In real life, they need midfielders and they need them now.

ugh

GorillaJu

Slightly disappointed after the links with Siquera, but a LB is needed and Cissokho is decent.

Pretty much this. Siqueira looked good, but we're probably looking at replacing Enrique, not signing a backup, and Siqueira is maybe not good enough to be worth paying the money Granada wants.

Walshy

Pretty much this. Siqueira looked good, but we're probably looking at replacing Enrique, not signing a backup, and Siqueira is maybe not good enough to be worth paying the money Granada wants.
If you believe the reports we enquired for Siqueria and got quoted that they wanted £5.5m for him.

Madrid are trying to sell Contreao and are intrested in Siqueira, which drove the proce to £12m.

GorillaJu

If you believe the reports we enquired for Siqueria and got quoted that they wanted £5.5m for him.

Madrid are trying to sell Contreao and are intrested in Siqueira, which drove the proce to £12m.

Yeah, I've read that, which is what brought me to my conclusion - that he was a good deal for what we wanted, up until the price got stupid.

pappe

1.Cheslea
2.United
3.City
4.Spurs
5.Arsenal
6.Liverpool
7.Sunderland
8.Everton
9.Swansea
10.West Brom
11.Norwich
12.West Ham
13.Newcastle
14.Southhampton
15.Aston Villa
16.Cardiff
17.Stoke
18.Fulham
19.Hull
20.Crystal Palace

So apparently there might be some movement on Gareth Bale situation today with regards to a bid.

Any Madrid fans hearing anything?

I just wish it was over now, so we could go and buy Lamela, Willian, Coentrao and Alderwield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom