• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

Oh finally the full gif!

My former team? Who cares!

ilCmvFaD9diEF.gif

You're probably right but I'd still go for that lineup. They need someone to sweep the carnage they leave behind them :p

Best RB in the world. And he's not even playing at RB.

Dazzler

This transfer window has been a real wake up call regards Liverpool's place in the grand scheme of things

I still have endless optimism for the Broject, though

Showaddy

Lloris; Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose; Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho; Lamela, Soldado, Willian

Friedel, Dawson, Naughton, Capoue, Holtby, Sigurdsson, Lennon, Carroll, Chadli, Adebayor and Defoe all as substitute options. That's brilliant. They should get further in the Europa League as well with more back up.

Hopefully AVB will play the 2nd team in the Europa. But now our 2nd team is actually good and not just a bunch of kids...

------------Defoe-----
Chadli---Holtby---Townsend
---Sandro--Paulinho---

Wilbur

Banned
Loving the influx of good signings to the Premier League. Strangely for someone who has lost almost all the passion they once had for the national side - went from crying when we got knocked out of World Cups and Euros to not even knowing we were on - , I'm massively disappointed at the lack of English players for the most part. Only 33% or something started last weekend, that's not on. But barring four or five clubs, every side in the league has added a good amount of quality to them. Nice to see standards raised.

Think the best Spurs can hope for this season is fourth and even then its at a push because Arsenal have the know how; there's an awful lot of talent in that Spurs team but everyone bar Dembele and Lennon (if he starts) are either new to the squad or in Sandro's case been out a year. Coentrao's off now though?

If they get fourth this season, then they push on and AVB stays. If they get fifth, expect them to get fourth next year but without AVB.

Certainly a shout for best first XI in the league though; on paper its pretty fucking great. Walker and Rose are the weak links but aren't actually weak, Kaboul needs to stay away from injury, and there's some acclimatising to do... but theoretically that team is top.

Lloris; Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose; Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho; Lamela, Soldado, Willian

Friedel, Dawson, Naughton, Capoue, Holtby, Sigurdsson, Lennon, Carroll, Chadli, Adebayor and Defoe all as substitute options. That's brilliant. They should get further in the Europa League as well with more back up.

They can definitely hope for better than 4th, as in, obv they can hope for anything they want but realistically they can for as high as 2nd...although I'm with you I think they'll finish 4th.

Very strong squad, if the new players click they can go on a real run, I feel like alot of their players are just as good as the ones as the other clubs...that's half of it though, knowing how to win week to week, dealing with the pressure, consistency...that's what will probably take them a bit of time to build up.

FuturusX

This transfer window has been a real wake up call regards Liverpool's place in the grand scheme of things

I still have endless optimism for the Broject, though

If Spurs keep Bale and the new signings click, 4th looks good for them. We can only hope to dislodge Arsenal. Arsenal and Liverpool in a fight for 5th would be quite hilarious actually. Make it happen Wenger.

Wilbur

Banned
They can definitely hope for better than 4th, as in, obv they can hope for anything they want but realistically they can for as high as 2nd...although I'm with you I think they'll finish 4th.

Very strong squad, if the new players click they can go on a real run, I feel like alot of their players are just as good as the ones as the other clubs...that's half of it though, knowing how to win week to week, dealing with the pressure, consistency...that's what will probably take them a bit of time to build up.

Yeah, we're completely in agreement. I expect from January or so onwards providing they're coping well with any rotation, European exploits and injuries, they'll be absolutely formidable. It's just gelling for the first few months of the season, working through the relentless Christmas period and ensuring that a) everyone works to the manager's ethos and b) no one gets their panties all in a twist because Bale's off and he's the messiah who has left them in the desert. They have to keep the self belief up without him.

If Spurs keep Bale and the new signings click, 4th looks good for them. We can only hope to dislodge Arsenal. Arsenal and Liverpool in a fight for 5th would be quite hilarious actually. Make it happen Wenger.

LOL

If Spurs keep Bale on top of the signings, they are a title challenge team.

Wilbur

Banned
DoF is a position that shouldn't exist in football imo

I'd disagree entirely; as much as there's scope for all powerful managers, someone like AVB is clearly more comfortable as a first team coach and on the training field as opposed to being in charge of the youth team, of finances, of this and that and the other. English football will become more like this now that Fergie's gone, he's one of the last remnants of the old ways. You'd expect a more continental approach to be adopted the more teams from Germany and Spain succeed while we fuck everything up.

Meier

Why? In every US sport, the team has a coach or manager and a General Manager who is responsible for signing players, etc. The concept of having a coach be responsible for signing new players is asinine. He should be involved in the process since he has to then use the players, but that should be the extent of his involvement. Let someone else fly around the world and handle negotiations and let the coach do what he is paid to do -- coach.

- I would like to thank the club and the management for the opportunity to work in a club with such a good relationship, and thank you to the staff and the players. And not least, a thank you to the fans who welcomed me and gave me a welcome in FC Copenhagen that will never forget. It is the most important thing for me and the things I will remember. I hope that FCK soon as possible come back to the level and direction the club deserves. For me personally it is now about time to spend time with my family, and I hope for peoples respect for this desire, says Ariël Jacobs.

Nice goodbye.
EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

Now that Ståle is back though our director of sports will no doubt survive, as he's his little buddy.

imo that's a dumb opinion. Really dumb.

Wilbur

Banned
Chelsea will be 2-0 up by halftime and then let off the gas again, will close it out comfortably because they need to reserve their energy for the anal fisting Moyes' Boys are going to deliver on Monday.

Arsenal will lose 2-1 and face a week of disgrace in the papers, go out and sign Mikael Silvestre again, David Wheater and Kevin Kuriyani and win the return leg 3-0. They'll finish fourth.

omgkitty

Good to see you again omgkitty!

Good to be here! I tend to only pop in here during the silly season to get quick updates on transfers as I can't stand all the bullshit during the regular season and especially during matches. Way too much hate in here.

Hixx

Chelsea and Arsenal will both win comfortably.

So will Shaclkcele

and Barca

And I will be richer than I was before they kicked off

Wilbur

Banned
Nice goodbye.
EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

Now that Ståle is back though our director of sports will no doubt survive, as he's his little buddy.

What's your record this season so far, 0-2-2?

I expect 26-2-2 by the end of the season #StaleMyHeart #StaleBread #He'sSolbakk

Good to be here! I tend to only pop in here during the silly season to get quick updates on transfers as I can't stand all the bullshit during the regular season and especially during matches. Way too much hate in here.

but bro the hate is hilarious

I for one absolutely revel in the weekly Liverpool vs Arsenal forum wars, its just beautiful. Newcastle vs Lambda should be good this year as well.

GQman2121

Banned
I'd disagree entirely; as much as there's scope for all powerful managers, someone like AVB is clearly more comfortable as a first team coach and on the training field as opposed to being in charge of the youth team, of finances, of this and that and the other. English football will become more like this now that Fergie's gone, he's one of the last remnants of the old ways. You'd expect a more continental approach to be adopted the more teams from Germany and Spain succeed while we fuck everything up.

American Football typically has two General Manager's who make player decisions with the coaching staffs input. Then there are like ten or more scouts and just as many player personnel people.

Suen

Madrid-bros, I just read news from today that Alonso got injured again and could be out for 3+ months. Meanwhile Ilaramendi is nowhere near ready to take over that role. La Liga is over.

They can offer a chance to win the PL, in a Leauge where he's constantly being challenged by teams who are very hard to beat.

In comparison, he will steamroll La Liga.

Well then the likes of Ronaldo and Messi but get their sorry asses out of that league and find somewhere else to play.

At Madrid he has a chance to win La Liga, win the CL, make a shit load of money, becoming a global superstar.

It's not even close between the two clubs.

No disrespect to Spurs, but that's just where they stand in relation to Real Madrid.

bud

Madrid-bros, I just read news from today that Alonso got injured again and could be out for 3+ months. Meanwhile Ilaramendi is nowhere near ready to take over that role. La Liga is over.

don't worry, you'll always have arsenal.

;_;

faridmon

What's your record this season so far, 0-2-2?

I expect 26-2-2 by the end of the season #StaleMyHeart #StaleBread #He'sSolbakk

What you just said is bad and you should feel bad about it.

Solbakken just found his level.. well, found again his level to be precise. Nothing to celebrate about!

Dazzler

Regards what I said about DoF (too many responses to quote individually)

Why I don't agree with having a DoF

I think if a coach is intimately involved in picking the players he wants a DoF to pursue then what's the point in having one? Surely a Woodward (LOL) or Ian Ayre type figure is what's needed here, a businessman...

If the coach isn't intimately involved in picking the players and is having players passed to him ala the US sport style then this creates its own set of problems of players a coach might not necessarily want being foisted on them by a DoF.

I just think for smooth operation purposes that having a manager that takes care of all this himself is the way to go.

Caveat: Maybe this works successfully on the continent, but I've been raised watching British football and I'm struggling to think of one successful instance of a DoF at a British club EVER... Maybe Baldini will be the first

i'm gonna watch both, hoping (expecting) an embarrasing and humilliating Arsenal loss.

Sitting pantless, huffing
Stroking gently the boner
Arsenal taken from behind
The climax is getting closer

Arnie

AVB has been extremely fortunate in some of the players at his disposal. A good young manager, no doubt, but consider what he had in Portugal, what he had in Bale, and how he did at Chelsea and I'm not won over. Blowing the league last year wasn't that impressive, either.

Think if he looked like Sammy Lee none of youse would be giving him this much praise.

DoF can be really bad if the guy is shit, look at Arnesen at Hamburg. That fucker basically bought half of Chelsea's reserve side and thought he'd be good to go lol

DoF can be extremely important, though. Together with the chairman/CEO, he can keep a certain style of football even if a coach fails/turns out to be shit and the club isn't stuck with 5 shite players that the former coach thought were so awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom