• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuenf

Watching Wolfsburg vs Schalke highlights and I'd say Luiz Gustavo is worth every penny. PL myopia never ceases to astound.

I'm starting to believe that Gustavo simply viewed Wolfsburg as the better option, there was nothing Arsenal could have done. He knows the league, gets to play with his mates Naldo / Diego. Gustavo is said to have enjoyed his time at Hoffenheim and appreciates smaller clubs. Overall it just sounds like him & his family simply prefered staying in Germany (for example they speak fluent German).

Furthermore VW could easily pay his salary demands and might have offered much more than Arsenal. It's rumoured to be 8m a year, which makes him one of the top earners in the Bundesliga, normally only Bayern pays wages like that (Bayerns big stars are on 10m contracts ,with Götze (and maybe Ribery) sitting at 12,5m). I think Gustavo actually earns more now than any Dortmund player does.

I'd say keep your head up Arsenal fans, there was nothing Arsene could have done and with a few buys your squad should easily earn a Europa League spot.

Added:
Here is a 28-year-old who waived £4 million in fees and bonuses owed to him by the Ukrainian club in order to finally make the move to the Premier League. He asks: “Why should people be surprised by that? Maybe England should have more players who don’t only think of money If I only wanted money and a comfortable life from my career, I would have stayed in the Ukraine.”

Some papers say he said he earned more at Shakhtar than City, but I'm not sure I've seen a direct quote.

It was just his food theme getting funny.

A professional footballer saying goodbye to his royalty bonus really isn't that crazy and yes, Shakhtar also pays crazy wages. It just seems obvious why he went to City instead of any other clubs, because no one else would pay what Shakhtar demanded for a 28 year old. Of course it's understandable to want to get the fuck out of Ukraine, even Manchester seems nice in comparison.

dc89

If Fernan wants a BBQ I'll invite him round. Or we can go to Manchester's premier BBQ restaurant, Southern 11.

#fucktevezhelied

No doubt DCing but lol

fKLv6Hd.jpg

Manager

A professional footballer saying goodbye to his royalty bonus really isn't that crazy and yes, Shakhtar also pays crazy wages. It just seems obvious why he went to City instead of any other clubs, because no one else would pay what Shakhtar demanded for a 28 year old. Of course it's understandable to want to get the fuck out of Ukraine, even Manchester seems nice in comparison.

Yeah, I think all City fans know he'd just as well go to Chelsea if they bid highest. But he did seem to like Shakhtar, he stayed there for a long time, learned the language, went back to a game and said goodbye to the fans.

It's plausible he liked it in Ukraine but left for a new challenge. Apparently He makes less than half as much as Tevez did and same for all new signings. Txiki wants to get the salaries in control.

______
Difficult as it may be to believe of a player joining City, he is understood to have taken a cut in salary. "Why should people be surprised by that?" he asked. "Maybe England should have more players who don't only think of money. If I only wanted money and a comfortable life from my career, I would have stayed in the Ukraine. I was happy there, I won six titles, I knew everyone and I was a big part of the club. But I was presented with the challenge of coming to Manchester City and I am aware that over the last few years this is a project that has grown a lot. The owners and the people who are managing the team wants to win titles and big trophies – and I wanted to be a part of that.
"
I decided that I had to leave Ukraine to play in a strong league that would help me get the attention of the people in charge of the Brazilian national team. I will try to do my best because it would be great to play in the World Cup, especially at home."
_______

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
BAE's definitely leaving, a fan bumped into him in France and he told him he's been excluded from first team training.

I guess he's just too cool to work hard for his place. I'll miss him :(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Italian Supercup: Each team gets to choose a song to accompany them to the pitch. Lazio picked Morning Glory by Oasis. Juve went for AC/DC - Thunderstruck, as usual.

OH BABY

Plasma

Banned
BAE's definitely leaving, a fan bumped into him in France and he told him he's been excluded from first team training.

I guess he's just too cool to work hard for his place. I'll miss him :(

I thought you didn't have many defenders at the moment why would he be frozen out?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I thought you didn't have many defenders at the moment why would he be frozen out?

Because he doesn't work hard enough in training.

We have plenty of defenders available anyway, Walker, Rose, Naughton, Dawson, Kaboul plus Capoue for emergency CB. Vertonghen will have a late fitness test.

dc89

Pellegrini1.ashx

“Of course the new players – and the manager and staff - all need to time to get to know each other and I am sure that we will improve as the season progresses but we do not have that time; we have to hit the ground running and that starts against Newcastle.

We now start a new cycle after Roberto Mancini’s work from the previous seasons. He created history here, brought the club its first silverware in a long time and the first title in 44 years. He will never be forgotten and shouldn’t be.

But football moves on and evolves, it has always been that way, and now we have a new era starting tonight with some new players. We had a good squad before I got here but I think we have bought well and bought wisely during the Summer.

Supporters of Manchester City have the reputation of being a big family and I am delighted to be part of it. My job now is to win trophies and take the team forward.

From the outside this is a very big club with a great history but when you live inside the Club it is even more impressive with big aims in many different departments as well as on the pitch. I am enjoying learning about all the aspects of Manchester City.

The aim has been to build a group that has two top class players for each position; we are fighting for trophies on four fronts so we will need everyone at some stage.

The Premier League can be won by one point and that point can depend on having a squad with strength and depth. Part of my job is to manage the fitness and freshness of the players to give us the best possible chance of winning all those trophies for which we compete.”

mcfc.co.uk

I can taste his class.

Wilbur

Banned
United weren't particularly good. Swansea just didn't have the talent to break them down when they were in United's end -- they kept lofting terrible balls into the box and praying. Chelsea have the players to test United. RVP was the reason they won. He obviously makes them very dangerous every week.

TLOU tricked me. You're outside Travis County and I get all excited that it's gonna take place in Austin then BOOM 20 years later. :(

I don't think this argument makes much sense sometimes, I really don't. Yes he's our best player and scored two great goals. But Welbeck was just as good yesterday, our defence is so much more convincing with Rio and Vidic, Evra looked much improved, Valencia beat his man a few times, De Gea made a few good stops.

It's a bit of a fallacy that we only won that game because of van Persie. Would we have won without him? Don't know. But is it definitive that we wouldn't have won without him? No, no at all.

D_prOdigy

Valencia's first-time, accurate cross for Welbeck was so satisfying, because I'm convinced that's the sort of simple little thing he wouldn't have done last season. Treble's on.

dc89

YESSSSSS NASTASIC! He's back in training, working on fitness, he will join with the squad training next week. Brilliant.

Right, time to start Breaking Bad Season 4. Hold me.

Fergie

Banned
Valencia's first-time, accurate cross for Welbeck was so satisfying, because I'm convinced that's the sort of simple little thing he wouldn't have done last season. Treble's on.
I hope he regains some form, he's a beast when confident.

My whole FPL is a flop. No Bale, Delfofofufuf, Zaha. :(.

Had to change a lot.

xFNcOtj.jpg

Wilbur

Banned

dat no. 25 is working magic.

Obv I want Moyes to use our entire squad because I want to see Smalling and Evans getting games of course, but I do hope he sticks with Rio and Vidic for Chelsea. Makes such a difference knowing they're both together.

Fabio in for Jones would be nice, and maybe Ando in for Giggs. Kagawa and Welbeck can keep dovetailing and switching behind RVP.

Not sure how Moyes will handle rotation yet.

Mastadon

Banned
Coutinho is an all-rounder.

While the Brazilian was in typically dynamic form taking the attack to Stoke, he was also one of the Reds' most effective defenders.

Coutinho created six shot assists for his teammates - more than any other player in the league on the opening day - but he also won five tackles and made two blocks against physical opposition.

The 21-year-old drew more free-kicks (four) than any other Liverpool player and fired five shots at Asmir Begovic's goal throughout the 90 minutes.

Lucas also won 100% of his tackles.

I don't think this argument makes much sense sometimes, I really don't. Yes he's our best player and scored two great goals. But Welbeck was just as good yesterday, our defence is so much more convincing with Rio and Vidic, Evra looked much improved, Valencia beat his man a few times, De Gea made a few good stops.

It's a bit of a fallacy that we only won that game because of van Persie. Would we have won without him? Don't know. But is it definitive that we wouldn't have won without him? No, no at all.
It doesn't really matter anyway, since RVP does play for us...

I would be much less worried about playing Chelsea next week if for example Mata wasn't playing. RVP is just that good.

Anyway, from what I saw I don't think we played very well, but a 4-1 away win at Swansea...can't complain.

Wilbur

Banned
Feyenoord beating Ajax?! BACON COME BACK

It doesn't really matter anyway, since RVP does play for us...

I would be much less worried about playing Chelsea next week if for example Mata wasn't playing. RVP is just that good.

Anyway, from what I saw I don't think we played very well, but a 4-1 away win at Swansea...can't complain.

Oh of course, but it's just getting a bit tiresome reading "RVP won them that match" when he benefitted from a great Giggs pass and Welbeck scored just as many goals.

And yeah, we weren't actually that great. Gave the ball away a fair amount, under the kosh a few times and we didnt really handle Michu or Bony. But we looked clinical, we pressed well and there wasnt anyone who played really poorly; Giggs, Clev and Jones didnt play well, but they didnt play badly.

Shame we've got such a tough run coming up because I'm really eager to see more Adnan and Wilf.

GorillaJu

It's because you were, let's be honest, getting utterly walked over until RVP's wonder goal out of absolutely nothing. It's like when you watch a boxer clam up and just cover his vitals while he gets pounded, then throw out a random uppercut and its a knockout.

Swansea is a team that doesn't chase games well - get the first goal on them and the game is yours to win. Yeah, Welbeck scored, but it was RVP's sucker-punch goal that opened the game up for United.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Oh my god AHAHAHA

Juan Camilo Zuniga now claims his pledge to Napoli was “invented” by newspapers and his future is still “in the balance.”

The wing-back had been quoted in the Gazzetta dello Sport on Saturday reassuring fans “I feel Neapolitan inside. I never said I wanted to leave Napoli.”

However, today Zuniga spoke to Tuttosport and painted a very different picture.

“My future is still in the balance. I don’t know what will happen, as it is all yet to be decided. I only hope the issue can be resolved quickly.

“I don’t want to be forced to leave Napoli at the end of my contract. These are not conditions I would like to live in.

“I feel that I ought to make the situation clear, seeing as people have invented some of my statements. Once again some words are in the papers that I never actually said. I am fed up of this, as it has happened too many times.

“My desire is to play a great Champions League campaign in a great team. I am happy with these four years spent at Napoli, but I am equally happy that great clubs like Juventus, Inter and overseas outfits want me.”

The Colombian international’s contract expires in June 2014 and renewal talks have stalled.

I don't want Zuniga, but I like the 'idea' of taking him from Napoli.

zuniga-juve-sc490ai_3.jpg

Feyenoord beating Ajax?! BACON COME BACK

Oh of course, but it's just getting a bit tiresome reading "RVP won them that match" when he benefitted from a great Giggs pass and Welbeck scored just as many goals.

And yeah, we weren't actually that great. Gave the ball away a fair amount, under the kosh a few times and we didnt really handle Michu or Bony. But we looked clinical, we pressed well and there wasnt anyone who played really poorly; Giggs, Clev and Jones didnt play well, but they didnt play badly.

Shame we've got such a tough run coming up because I'm really eager to see more Adnan and Wilf.
I think as Morsel had said RVP changed the match for us...I just don't see any problem with it, that's why we signed him and why we pay him so much money every week, that's why the team is geared around him.

Of course, we are reliant on RVP...it would be nice to be less so, but when you have a player who is that good I don't see any shame in it.

Wilbur

Banned
It's because you were, let's be honest, getting utterly walked over until RVP's wonder goal out of absolutely nothing. It's like when you watch a boxer clam up and just cover his vitals while he gets pounded, then throw out a random uppercut and its a knockout.

Swansea is a team that doesn't chase games well - get the first goal on them and the game is yours to win. Yeah, Welbeck scored, but it was RVP's sucker-punch goal that opened the game up for United.

Utterly walked over? Giggs had a chance to break free, Jones volley, Welbeck shot... Swansea were dominating possession but apart from the Michu offside goal they weren't really threatening much.

Clegg

If we had actually signed a good midfielder I'd be pretty confident going into the Chelsea game. They're nothing special in that area.

We still have a week to do that but it'll take longer to bed them into the squad.

Wes

venison crêpe
From a title perspective, I saw more positives for United's rivals than I did for United yesterday.

Of the games I saw enough of to form an opinion:

Swansea: Will be interesting to see with Bony fit and starting games. Work the ball very well but lacked a bit of guile cutting through the back line. Maybe this'll happen with Michu dropping back in to the hole.

Man United: I wasn't impressed with them at all in the first 20 minutes, but they have players with individual skill who can bail them out. I would think the scoreline flattered their team as a whole a bit, but about right for the individual skill shown (I'm not sure this makes sense). That midfield still lacks someone rock solid alongside Carrick for me.

Arsenal: I think they're just under so much pressure at the moment. Pressure of their own making. They should sign Begovic this week. Unlucky with all their injuries too.

Liverpool: Impressed me the most. Aspas, Sturridge and Coutinho were lovely to watch. They could be serious top 4 contenders if Suarez stays and Willian does come in.

Everton: That Ross Barkley hype train.

qindarka

Banned
The United game is at OT anyway. They would always have been favorites there.

Anyway, not confident about the Hull game at all. They are going to be very organized and hard to break down.

If we had actually signed a good midfielder I'd be pretty confident going into the Chelsea game. They're nothing special in that area.

We still have a week to do that but it'll take longer to bed them into the squad.
Going to be very interesting to see the tactical set ups in the game.

Moyes has had our front line pushing very high up, but our defensive line can't always do that, at times yesterday it left a huge space in midfield sometime with just Carrick (and Clev but he doesn't count) filling it. A team like Chelsea has players who can play against pressure at the back and get 4/5 of our players running backwards when we're still in the opposition half. That will be dangerous for us when you think that Chelsea have players like Ramires and Hazard on the counter.

Will also be interesting to see how much Moyes goes for it, Fergie definitely would have.

Pat Nevin was on the radio a couple of weeks ago saying Chelsea vs Everton with Mourinho/Moyes in charge was one of his favourite fixtures because both managers would make tactical tweaks throughout the game - wonder if we'll see that again.

TrueBlue

I think it'll be a tight game between us. Thinking you guys might just edge it at Old Trafford.

Utd's rivals haven't played yet.unless you were being sarcastic.

Sorry, I meant Mourinho, Pellegrini and Pardew would have watched that match and taken a lot of positves from it, from their own title-tinning perspective. Yes, United did well to get a lead they didn't deserve, and they did well to build on it. But for a large portion of the game they didn't look very good.

qindarka

Banned
Sorry, I meant Mourinho, Pellegrini and Pardew would have watched that match and taken a lot of positves from it, from their own title-tinning perspective. Yes, United did well to get a lead they didn't deserve, and they did well to build on it. But for a large portion of the game they didn't look very good.

Well, a lot of their play was critisized last season as well and they still walked the league.

Clegg

Going to be very interesting to see the tactical set ups in the game.

Moyes has had our front line pushing very high up, but our defensive line can't always do that, at times yesterday it left a huge space in midfield sometime with just Carrick (and Clev but he doesn't count) filling it. A team like Chelsea has players who can play against pressure at the back and get 4/5 of our players running backwards when we're still in the opposition half. That will be dangerous for us when you think that Chelsea have players like Ramires and Hazard on the counter.

Will also be interesting to see how much Moyes goes for it, Fergie definitely would have.

Pat Nevin was on the radio a couple of weeks ago saying Chelsea vs Everton with Mourinho/Moyes in charge was one of his favourite fixtures because both managers would make tactical tweaks throughout the game - wonder if we'll see that again.
Hazard and Mata caused us a lot of problems last season. The former with his direct running and the latter with his ability to find space in between midfield and attack. If we'd signed a proper DM I'd be more comfortable. You obviously can't completely take Mata out of the game but you could nullify some of his threat.

And I don't want to see Jones playing that role. I know he's played well there in the past but I'm tired of seeing him getting messed about positionally. I don't want him turning into another John O'Shea.

Fergie

Banned
Jz3QUSv.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom