• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hazard and Mata caused us a lot of problems last season. The former with his direct running and the latter with his ability to find space in between midfield and attack. If we'd signed a proper DM I'd be more comfortable. You obviously can't completely take Mata out of the game but you could nullify some of his threat.

And I don't want to see Jones playing that role. I know he's played well there in the past but I'm tired of seeing him getting messed about positionally. I don't want him turning into another John O'Shea.
Reckon Jones is gonna continue on at RB till Rafael gets back. Not ideal cos going forwards he's very...basic, but can't see Moyes throwing Fabio in for the tough fixtures.

Have a feeling Anderson and Kagawa will come into midfield for Clev and Giggs next week, least that's what I'm hoping for.

Valencia showed some signs of life yesterday, a pulse...even set up a goal :O

I'm starting to believe that Gustavo simply viewed Wolfsburg as the better option, there was nothing Arsenal could have done. He knows the league, gets to play with his mates Naldo / Diego. Gustavo is said to have enjoyed his time at Hoffenheim and appreciates smaller clubs. Overall it just sounds like him & his family simply prefered staying in Germany (for example they speak fluent German).

Furthermore VW could easily pay his salary demands and might have offered much more than Arsenal. It's rumoured to be 8m a year, which makes him one of the top earners in the Bundesliga, normally only Bayern pays wages like that (Bayerns big stars are on 10m contracts ,with Götze (and maybe Ribery) sitting at 12,5m). I think Gustavo actually earns more now than any Dortmund player does.

Didn't he come out and say he wanted to play for Arsenal, or am I mistaken? Wenger could have made an exception to sign a player his team needs a la Bayern with Martinez, and matched the "high" fee and wages, but he didn't, and he likely never will.

I'd say keep your head up Arsenal fans, there was nothing Arsene could have done and with a few buys your squad should easily earn a Europa League spot.

:lol

Clegg

Reckon Jones is gonna continue on at RB till Rafael gets back. Not ideal cos doing forwards he's very...basic, but can't see Moyes throwing Fabio in for the tough fixtures.

Have a feeling Anderson and Kagawa will come into midfield for Clev and Giggs next week, least that's what I'm hoping for.

Valencia showed some signs of life yesterday, a pulse...even set up a goal :O
It's a big season for Kagawa. I'd like to see him get more of a chance in his favoured position and for him to make a positive. He's so obviously talented and we haven't seen the best of him yet. Might have to leave United next summer if he doesn't get a proper crack at it. Rooney staying will be a problem for him. He'll just have to make a good go of it from the left.

Valencia picked the ball up in central areas a lot yesterday. It was like he was trying to make himself more flexible as an attacker. But all he did was dribble back out to the wing and try to cross it. He played well yesterday and at least tried to take on his man. But he still has more to prove.

Messi

What was Agger trying on that penalty shout. Lol.

Liverpool looked good and exciting yesterday. Sturridge , Aspas and Couts are playing well together.

Bumhead

Banned
I think some people are trying too hard to overanalyse the Manchester United game yesterday.

Moyes had the eyes of the football world's scrutiny staring down at him yesterday and he responded in the best possible way, with a commanding win in what has been a tricky tie for many of the big clubs and a potential opening day banana skin.

Job done, really, as far as season openers go. Moyes deserves the benefit of faith to build on that over the coming weeks and months.

dc89

Where is kaboul?

Ask AVB

b05a574bdd562607ae8baf10e8c412b4.jpeg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Kaboul is on the bench, he's not quite ready for 90 minutes yet.

Our subs today: Kaboul, Capoue, Townsend, Naughton, Defoe, Friedel, Carroll.

Spurs bench isn't much stronger then Arsenal

Remember that Sandro, Holtby, Bale and Adebayor are not available today.

Real Madrid want Aston Villa striker?Tweet
By Liam Apicella, Features Editor
Filed: Sunday, August 18, 2013 at 09:52 UK
Last Updated: Sunday, August 18, 2013 at 09:56 UK
Real Madrid are reportedly keen to sign Aston Villa centre-forward Nicklas Helenius.

The Danish international only joined Villa for £1.5m from Aalborg BK earlier this summer, but that has not stopped the Spanish outfit from making contact with Villa regarding his availability, according to The People.

It is believed that while Madrid would initially sign the 22-year-old to lead their B side's attack, they see him as a player for the future.

The report added that Los Blancos would be prepared to part with £5m to capture the frontman.

Helenius was an unused substitute during Villa's 3-1 victory away at Arsenal yesterday afternoon.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footbal...ews/real-madrid-want-villa-striker_99291.html

ibvnO0P3EuDDaS.gif

Wilbur

Banned
What a great header by Montano for Montpellier. Abidal and Carvalho not impressing.

Time to watch Soldado now.

They're both old as fuck to be fair. Carvalho's lost all the pace he ever had as well.

Trying to find a pub to watch Spurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom