• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were quite poor last night. Again, the only showcase of technical quality came from Cazorla. Ramsey, despite having a good game, doesn't add anything to the site. If we acknowledge how useless Theo is outside the box, and the fact that we often play Podolski on the wing, we realise we have only a three man midfield without any link-up players. The result is a very direct and predictable midfield.

This thread...

i8J7wh05Rgn7R.gif

Surely you didn't sign up for NeoGAF for off topic? :p

GorillaJu

I go through in and out of gaming, but some games I just can't seem to escape from. Been playing Dota solidly for 8 or 9 years now.

LTWheels

Any of you tried the Killzone Mercenary demo on Vita? It looks and plays pretty well.

Yeah I gave it a go but dono how I feel about it.

It looks impressive and controls surprisingly well for a vita game but still thought actually playing it was a bit meh.

The FoV is ridiculously small and I didn't think the map design was that great. I also found that when I was host it seemed like the host advantage was quite massive. Also the pacing of the game isn't to my liking.

It's interesting in that they have managed to get such a style of game working relatively well on a vita but still not sure on it. That hacking mini game is stupidly over complex.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Torino's coach Ventura "This season our objective is to win a derby (against Juve). And we will do it.."

-

2001-2012 penalties given in Serie A:

1-Milan 87
2-Roma 83
3-Udinese 62
4-Lazio 60
5-Inter 59
6-Parma 55
7-Juve 52 (incl B)

We need to take lessons in Badia.

So Arsene is readying a £65m bid for di Maria and Benzema. Now we know where the Bale money is coming from. My guess is that neither would sign for Arsenal until they were guaranteed Champions League football, with a 3-0 away victory that is in the bag now.

We also know where RM are getting the Bale money from now. Arsenal!

phaze

Late but
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Good win from us yesterday. Excited for for the first day of transfer window.
:lol

So Arsene is readying a £65m bid for di Maria and Benzema. Now we know where the Bale money is coming from. My guess is that neither would sign for Arsenal until they were guaranteed Champions League football, with a 3-0 away victory that is in the bag now.

We also know where RM are getting the Bale money from now. Arsenal!

Is it weird that I want neither of them ? Overrated and overpriced. I find it hard to believe Real would let go off Benzema this late in the transfer window too.

GorillaJu

^ I missed that during the game. Holy smokes, that's some top drawer antics. right there.

I could see Madrid taking Falcao, who has allegedly been offered to them, as a Benzema replacement, should they sell him to Arsenal.

Zabojnik

And our own version of Balotelli. We really suck at taking them.

We should just let Vidal take all of them, problem solved.

I can't get over how big of a cunt Jordi Alba is. And it has nothing to do with Barca. Just ... Jordi fucking Alba, the little (big) cunt.

GHG

I see the irrational hate for arsenal is still strong in this thread.

There are multiple reasons why players like benzema and di maria would rather come to us than go to spurs. Plus its been widely reported that spurs have tried swap deals for a few of the better madrid players in the bale deal but they said no. What is even more laughable is Liverpool fans saying they are "unrealistic targets". Suarez wasn't unrealistic when he said he wanted to come to us, it was more a problem that Liverpool werent willing to do business with us.

That said, whether we manage to get these guys or not is a different story since I have 0 faith in Wenger & Gazidis being able to close a big deal right now.

valeo

What the fuck? Schalke wants Podolski? Surely Arsenal wouldn't let another player go, right?

Have you seen Podolski lately? Looks about as interested as Arshavin did in his final days at Arsenal. He is the weak link in our (admittedly small) squad at the moment. Really doesn't look like he wants to be here. Have a feeling he's not seen eye-to-eye with Wenger as he keeps playing him on the wing, not his preferred CF role. He was initially handed the no.9 jersey and seen as a striker, but didn't impress at all in that position. Would not be surprised if he leaves.

And I don't think either Real transfer is as unrealistic as people are making it out to be - they need to finance the Bale transfer somehow and there have been legitimate reports that they're struggling to come up with the money.

Why are people hating on Arsenal when the real problem in football is the ridiculous over-pricing of players and the oil-tycoon backed clubs like Monaco, PSG and Man City living beyond their means? Just an easy target at the moment, I suppose, and everyone likes to buy into the media backlash. In 2 weeks it'll be Liverpool copping it.

I keep seeing news stories and tweets about how "Real Madrid are on the verge of closing a deal for Bale" but... that's been true for about the last month, so it seems. I just want it to happen. It's like they're slowly tearing off a plaster :(

There are multiple reasons why players like benzema and di maria would rather come to us than go to spurs. Plus its been widely reported that spurs have tried swap deals for a few of the better madrid players in the bale deal but they said no. What is even more laughable is Liverpool fans saying they are "unrealistic targets". Suarez wasn't unrealistic when he said he wanted to come to us, it was more a problem that Liverpool werent willing to do business with us.

That said, whether we manage to get these guys or not is a different story since I have 0 faith in Wenger & Gazidis being able to close a big deal right now.
Benzema is unrealistic IMO, can't see Madrid selling him.

Di Maria definitely available though.

Why are people hating on Arsenal when the real problem in football is the ridiculous over-pricing of players and the oil-tycoon backed clubs like Monaco, PSG and Man City living beyond their means? Just an easy target at the moment, I suppose, and everyone likes to buy into the media backlash. In 2 weeks it'll be Liverpool copping it.

I think there'd have been less of a big deal if so much hadn't been made of the £70m "warchest" which has, thus far, gone unplundered. No one's hating on Man Utd (who admittedly have a much stronger squad already) for not signing anyone. I think it's because you get the impression that Arsenal - and yeah, Liverpool too - have been trying and failing to sign people, as opposed to just not signing anyone.

Salvadora

Nope, it'll still be us.

justjohn

Is it me or are epl clubs spending big money on really underwhelming players? They might be good but none of them really excites. 65m on benzema and dimaria is a classic example.

valeo

I think it's unfair to give Monaco/PSG/City shit for "living beyond their means". You gotta reach the top somehow.

Yeah, by being sustainable and spending less than you bring in from ticket sales, shirt sales,. transfers etc. What happens when the bubble bursts? These clubs will end up like Portsmouth and Anzhi.

Walshy

Who cares if a player wants to go, do you really think Madrid will sell there only centre-forward to Arsenal? It is an unrealistic target.

Suarez wanted to leave, but Liverpool was adamant from the start they wouldn't sell. Which makes Arsenal buying Suarez unrealistic.

valeo

I think there'd have been less of a big deal if so much hadn't been made of the £70m "warchest" which has, thus far, gone unplundered. No one's hating on Man Utd (who admittedly have a much stronger squad already) for not signing anyone. I think it's because you get the impression that Arsenal - and yeah, Liverpool too - have been trying and failing to sign people, as opposed to just not signing anyone.

Meh, I'm as frustrated as any Arsenal supporter, but my feeling is that Arsene basically has to go against everything he thinks - as an economist and supporter of sustainable football clubs - to bid large on players that might not even be one of the best in their position. We've gotten to a stage where 20m on Cabaye is expected! That is crazy. Up until a few years ago the great majority of clubs hadn't gone past 20m for one player.

Is that an excuse for not reinforcing and panic buying now? No, it isn't, but I think there is a real split in ideologies between Arsene and the board.

Also, plenty of people have been 'hating on' Man Utd for not buying a midfielder but that has been going on for a number of years now. People scoffed at the attempt at Cesc, also. Again, we're living in a world where a 38m bid for a player who isn't even a certain starter at his club is scoffed at.

Oh please, certain clubs/leagues have massive, unfair advantages other leagues/clubs don't have. I don't like clubs selling themselves to oil tycoons, but given that the playing field isn't even I can see why they would.

How many new clubs have made it big in the past ten years? In practice it's the same clubs over and over again, unless someone brings in external money.

Oh, I don't disagree - especially in La Liga where all TV money is routed into the already giant coffers of Real Madrid and Barcelona - but the EPL handles that far more fairly.

I don't blame clubs or fans for jumping on that, and it's easy for me to say as an Arsenal fan when we've been consistently in the top 4, but I just don't think that it's good for football at all. Add to the fact that player agent's are having a far bigger say as they try and get a bigger cut of the transfer fees..they're scum, absolute bottom feeding scum and the clubs are funding it.

GHG

Who cares if a player wants to go, do you really think Madrid will sell there only centre-forward to Arsenal? It is an unrealistic target.

Suarez wanted to leave, but Liverpool was adamant from the start they wouldn't sell. Which makes Arsenal buying Suarez unrealistic.

Suarez has a bigger part to play in all of this than you realise ;) .

In all seriousness though. If Madrid get Bale then yes i can see them possibly selling Benzema at the right price. Reason being is that they will shift Ronaldo upfront and use Bale on the left wing. They could then still go out and buy a player like Rooney or Suarez with that money. There are a few more big deals that have the potential to happen before the window closes. Its nowhere near as unrealistoc as you make out considering the early reports have stated that madrid can be tempted to sell him if a good offer comes in.

valeo

No, certain leagues in general have a massive advantage. How are Dutch clubs or French clubs supposed to compete when EPL clubs bring in a ton of money even if they are unsuccessful (see e.g. Liverpool)? They can't. It's understandable that they'd look for money in other places. Ajax is a fantastic club with a rich history and a great structure but they can't do jack shit against British clubs.

Internationally the playing field isn't even and just because TV money is distributed fairly in EPL doesn't mean everyone has similar chances. Look at the Premier League champions of the past twenty years and tell me that small clubs have a realistic chance of winning.

Unless we introduce a salary cap to the major leagues then that will never change. Oil-backed clubs wont change that, either. Even with a salary cap some clubs can end up dominating because of other mitigating factors like better location (to attract players), better facilities etc.

Fact is, the oil tycoons are funding those clubs in major leagues anyway - not Ajax or Feyenoord. These are two different arguments.

valeo

Yeah, but it seems the reaction has gotten a lot more negative with the two French clubs. I for one welcome any club that's willing to give British clubs a well-deserved beating.

Think it's more negative towards Monaco in France itself considering they are routing the league because of tax loopholes.

Think that Germany is the league everyone should be looking to for inspiration - you say you haven't seen any new 'big' clubs; how about Dortmund? They got where they are because of a great youth system and a good, stable, sustainable structure.

justjohn

Also why are oil clubs getting stick when madrid are spending 93million on a player?
Dont give me that crap about madrid earning their money the right way.

When Arsenal first bid for Suarez, it was realistic.

When it turned out he didn't have that release clause, it became pie in the sky, yet the rumblings continued

GHG

Unless we introduce a salary cap to the major leagues then that will never change.

Fact is, the oil tycoons are funding those clubs in major leagues anyway - not Ajax or Feyenoord.

Before PSG happened France was not seen as a major league. It was seen more as a feeder league in a similar way to the Dutch league. All it takes is for a few Dutch teams to be taken over and everything changes. But that is precisely the arguement, the only way that things change in football these days is through external investment. If Arsenal were a mid table team through the 90's and turn of the century then we would have no chance of making a step up to the big boys unless Usmanov or someone similar took over.

Before PSG happened France was not seen as a major league. It was seen more as a feeder league in a similar way to the Dutch league. All it takes is for a few Dutch teams to be taken over and everything changes. But that is precisely the arguement, the only way that things change in football these days is through external investment. If Arsenal were a mid table team through the 90's and turn of the century then we would have no chance of making a step up to the big boys unless Usmanov or someone similar took over.

France still isn't a major league.

Unless you're a Torino fan who got sick of Juve bending you over every year.

valeo

Before PSG happened France was not seen as a major league\.

Oh that is bullshit. It's seen the same now as it always has been.

Also why are oil clubs getting stick when madrid are spending 93million on a player?
Dont give me that crap about madrid earning their money the right way.

Madrid are a unique case in that they have the banks by the balls. Spending 93mill on a player when your country is in recession..only in Madrid!

But we did. Without huge backing. It's a different game now, though. With so much money comes dirty tactics, dodgy agents and broke clubs.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
^ I missed that during the game. Holy smokes, that's some top drawer antics. right there.

I could see Madrid taking Falcao, who has allegedly been offered to them, as a Benzema replacement, should they sell him to Arsenal.
You can't play for more than 2 clubs in a season so they couldn't sign Falcao.

Carbonox

Anyone else seen the hilarious Gamescom Ryse thread? The game looks like absolute shit. The type of shit gameplay-wise you'd associate with garbage Kinect party games.

AND THERE ARE PEOPLE SAYING IT LOOKS FANTASTIC.

i cant

It will get chewed up and spat out come release.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Anyone else seen the hilarious Gamescom Ryse thread? The game looks like absolute shit. The type of shit gameplay-wise you'd associate with garbage Kinect party games.

i cant

It reminds me a lot of LAIR. In nearly every way, including the reception.

when you have Monaco and PSG splashing cash like that it won;t make there league better, just worsen it because the midtable teams are just stale.

same with la liga and the tv money issue.

this is why the epl is the most competitive league in the world, when you see a team like southampton splashing 15 million on a player.

i cant

It looks like the worst of the worst, a product of how low the big publishers thinks of us. Pretty graphics, wave your arms around, awesome shit will happen. SOLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom