• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

Dat silverware.
1377203833_488126_1377206043_album_grande.jpg

I think the silverware of the average Barcelona player from the last seven years or so wouldn't fit in one pic. But it's cute!

7Wt.gif

Showaddy

Not going to get pissy at the Willian thing. It's incredibly easy to lay into FSG but they're the same people who paid £35 million for Andy Carroll when Kenny and Comolli demanded it, and the very people who refused to pay over the odds for Dempsey, which would've prevented us from buying on of either Sturridge or Coutinho.

I'm convinced we should throw £7 million at Spurs for Glyfi, though.

If/when Spur's get Willian Sigurdsson's going to be out the door, possibly this transfer window.

FootballFan

No you absolute clit sandwich. Hahaha your reading comprehension is fucking appalling.

All united fans on this forum do all day is shit on our own club over signings. When someone says "united can't sign players", we normally agree and slate the club

When someone says your font is shit your default reaction is slate the other club. The font is shit. It doesn't matter. It doesn't impact on anything. But it's shit.

You hear that and you turn into some weird fucking zealot who had a great wartime grandfather who died, nothing but his custom font book in his hand and a post it note with nothing but Adidas HQ's address on it. Focus on the fucking match your team is playing in, instead of giving a fuck when someone dares to criticise your kit :lol

It's just utterly inane to me for you to give such a fuck that no one likes your kit, so you shit all over everything else.

EVakb93.png

Arnie

If/when Spur's get Willian Sigurdsson's going to be out the door, possibly this transfer window.

I think Chelsea will sign Willian, though.

I think Spurs have reason enough to get rid of the lad, even if they don't get afrogorp. He's been a flop, won't fit into his best position at Spurs, has a manager that doesn't really understand his abilities, and hasn't appeared to gel with the team.

I've got no doubt in his qualities, but he needs the confidence to unlock them. One touch of the cheek from the Rodge and he'll be powering through teams like Mkhitaryan on speed.

Meier

Just putting up these gems again:

ibpbkO90nMWaFf.gif

iivusj64i68tL.gif

Pellegrini celebrating

(so I can find them via search later -- I should probably create a minus account)

Showaddy

I think Chelsea will sign Willian, though.

I think Spurs have reason enough to get rid of the lad, even if they don't get afrogorp. He's been a flop, won't fit into his best position at Spurs, has a manager that doesn't really understand his abilities, and hasn't appeared to gel with the team.

I've got no doubt in his qualities, but he needs the confidence to unlock them. One touch of the cheek from the Rodge and he'll be powering through teams like Mkhitaryan on speed.

Possibly, but also bear in mind that he's been pretty mediocre for all his career bar 6 months at Swansea.

Watching him last season he's still got serious problems; his awareness & composure on the ball need a lot of work and he's far to easily displaced. I mean look at the match tonight, Dinamo Tbilisi made Townsend look like Ronaldo at times they were so poor but Sigurdsson was still utterly anonymous.

Maybe he's just not that good of a player?

Arnie

Possibly, but also bear in mind that he's been pretty mediocre for all his career bar 6 months at Swansea.

Watching him last season he's still got serious problems; his awareness & composure on the ball need a lot of work and he's far to easily displaced. I mean look at the match tonight, Dinamo Tbilisi made Townsend look like Ronaldo at times they were so poor but Sigurdsson was still utterly anonymous.

Well Coutinho and Sturridge were in similar situations before we signed them, and look at the pair now.

When Rodgers took Sigurdsson to Swansea he saw something, he coached him, and he extracted that talent. I think that's one of Rodgers' greatest strengths.

He made Downing pretty fucking good, and transformed Henderson from a bit of a joke to a player who could go to the Emirates and be the standout midfielder, for whatever reason.

I've got no doubts whatsoever that under Rodgers Gylfi could flourish again.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Udinese were undoubtedly unfortunate, as they hit the woodwork three times and had 27 attempts on goal compared to Slovan Liberec’s seven.

Meanwhile, captain Antonio Di Natale needed 10 stitches to a cut on his head, having played most of the second half with a large bandage to stem the bleeding.

Oh man

kharma45

Cheers viva. Plus all the interest that we have paid since they took over. All of United's commercial deals were first rate before they took control. They have contributed nothing to our club.

To play devil's advocate they've increased the value of the club and improved on our already impressive commercial deals (could you imagine having an official tyre before?), our turnover has almost doubled iirc. As a business the club is a lot more powerful now.

Also if we were still a PLC we'd have shareholders and dividends to pay out. Say the Glazers not bought United and we had continued to grow out commercial arm, it is pretty feasible that the majority of the extra cashflow would have been used to lower ticket prices for fans or even to buy more players. It is quite likely the money would have been paid back to our shareholders.

They have not massively interfered when it has come to transfers. From what we can gather Fergie always had money when he needed it, debt is gradually coming down and we've our kit deal to renegotiate soon. The LBO was not ideal there is no question about that but like Viva I'm resigned to it having happened.

bobito

Banned

I'm sorry but this is completely incorrect.

Showaddy

Well Coutinho and Sturridge were in similar situations before we signed them, and look at the pair now.

When Rodgers took Sigurdsson to Swansea he saw something, he coached him, and he extracted that talent. I think that's one of Rodgers' greatest strengths.

He made Downing pretty fucking good, and transformed Henderson from a bit of a joke to a player who could go to the Emirates and be the standout midfielder, for whatever reason.

I've got no doubts whatsoever that under Rodgers Gylfi could flourish again.

If you say so. I'd happily sell him for £7 million for what it's worth, doubt we'd get half that after his season.

Suen

Why does Benz look so fucking depressed?

edit: lol that Al-Sadd player, so slow...Raul was just waiting there for the perfect pass.

Arnie

If you say so. I'd happily sell him for £7 million for what it's worth, doubt we'd get half that after his season.
True, his price is dropping all the time, almost parallel to his confidence.
The only problem may be wages. Wasn't one of the reasons we backed out of signing him was that we were not prepared to offer the wages that Spurs were?
Well he either recovers from his broken back and climbs out of the RISE pit, or he's forever doomed to bit-part plebetry.

aka if he doesn't take a wage cut he can fucking do one

Clegg

He's basically telling United to offer more money.

"Nobody can guarantee a player will be here on 3 September, in the same way you can't guarantee you'll have a squad that is fully fit," Martínez added. "If I guaranteed now they will stay I would be lying because if Real Madrid decides to give us €100m for a player I am sure we will not be able to stop that. I think we need to be realistic.

Arnie

Yeah, I think we will pay a shade over £40m in the end.

It would be better for us and them if we just pay the £23/£24m for Fellaini though, an easier deal which they're more likely to accept.

And it'll be totally worth it.

Baines and Fellaini would immediately improve your starting 11, and you won the league at a canter mere months ago. Goes to show the strength of those two players, which simultaneously gives you some idea just how big a blow this is to a measly outfit like Everton.

Raw situation in all respects. Could get nasty, and I'm not just talking about Fellaini's patented elbow smash (which Sal'll be slurping up like Nesquik tainted milk).

noal

Banned
To play devil's advocate they've increased the value of the club and improved on our already impressive commercial deals (could you imagine having an official tyre before?), our turnover has almost doubled iirc. As a business the club is a lot more powerful now.

Also if we were still a PLC we'd have shareholders and dividends to pay out. Say the Glazers not bought United and we had continued to grow out commercial arm, it is pretty feasible that the majority of the extra cashflow would have been used to lower ticket prices for fans or even to buy more players. It is quite likely the money would have been paid back to our shareholders.

They have not massively interfered when it has come to transfers. From what we can gather Fergie always had money when he needed it, debt is gradually coming down and we've our kit deal to renegotiate soon. The LBO was not ideal there is no question about that but like Viva I'm resigned to it having happened.

I agree, a plc was not ideal and fan ownership should have happened much sooner. Have the Glazers helped in sponsorship deals? Probably, but like I said, United were ahead of the times in that regard anyway. Has there been any talk of the stadium being finished? I know that it's the hardest stand to finish but United have been buying land around Old Trafford for years ready to at least attempt to finish it but all talk has stopped in that regard.

I suppose my point is is that the Glazer's have added nothing to United except for higher ticket prices and scaring away some of our most hardcore of fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom