• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

It will happen. Look how much we spent on Zaha and Young.

Aye but they didn't have clauses, he did. To wait and end up paying more will be embarrassing.

I agree, a plc was not ideal and fan ownership should have happened much sooner. Have the Glazers helped in sponsorship deals? Probably, but like I said, United were ahead of the times in that regard anyway. Has there been any talk of the stadium being finished? I know that it's the hardest stand to finish but United have been buying land around Old Trafford for years ready to at least attempt to finish it but all talk has stopped in that regard.

I suppose my point is is that the Glazer's have added nothing to United except for higher ticket prices and scaring away some of our most hardcore of fans.

Ticket prices would've risen no matter what.

Uh oh.

Miggy D says United have made contact with Chelsea as to the availability of Mata.

Hahaha oh lawd.

Carbonox

Uh oh.

Miggy D says United have made contact with Chelsea as to the availability of Mata.

Mata for Rooney. Mata for Rooney.

Mata for Rooney.

Bet Mourinho would love that if those earlier rumours about his lack of interest in Mata is true.

he would be suicidal to get rid of mata

And it'll be totally worth it.

Baines and Fellaini would immediately improve your starting 11, and you won the league at a canter mere months ago. Goes to show the strength of those two players, which simultaneously gives you some idea just how big a blow this is to a measly outfit like Everton.

Raw situation in all respects. Could get nasty, and I'm not just talking about Fellaini's patented elbow smash (which Sal'll be slurping up like Nesquik tainted milk).
Yeah I'm not too fussed about the price anymore because 1) were desperate 2) you just have to pay what it takes these days, and we don't do that often enough.

Agree they would improve our team, Baines I feel is a bit of a luxury but he is the best full back in the league for me, so can't say no.

The sticking point is how much of a hash we've made of it all. At the start of the summer I thought these 2 were bankers, and it would be what other business we did which would define our summer. Now prizing these two away from Kenwrights soppy arms is going to make/break our summer.

Splatt

1150318_621904961182353_1934779564_n.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah I'm not too fussed about the price anymore because 1) were desperate 2) you just have to pay what it takes these days, and we don't do that often enough.

Agree they would improve our team, Baines I feel is a bit of a luxury but he is the best full back in the league for me, so can't say no.

The sticking point is how much of a hash we've made of it all. At the start of the summer I thought these 2 were bankers, and it what would be what other business we did which would define our summer. Now prizing these two away from Kenwrights soppy arms is going to make/break our summer.

Agree with this post entirely.

kharma45

The sticking point is how much of a hash we've made of it all. At the start of the summer I thought these 2 were bankers, and it what would be what other business we did which would define our summer. Now prizing these two away from Kenwrights soppy arms is going to make/break our summer.

Yeah Baines is like an RVP signing in a way. Top quality player, bit older than we'd ideally want but too good to pass up if he comes our way. If that happens we'd have three competing for the left back spot, but I'm glad at least the one I care most about, Fabio, is versatile so can play RB as well to get game time. If we got Baines I could see Evra being slowly phased out through rotation and then just lesser games.

But makes you wonder why they want Willian.
I'm surprised they want him but I feel like it's more likely Chelsea just can't help themselves and wanna spend money than it being part of a plan where theyre seriously considering giving their best player away...to a rival team.

noal

Banned
Aye but they didn't have clauses, he did. To wait and end up paying more will be embarrassing.

Ticket prices would've risen no matter what.

Hahaha oh lawd.

But would they have risen so quickly? United were about mid table for ticket prices in the premier league so fair enough we could have charged a bit more but the Glazers did what they did at the bucs and just raised prices and kept the signing of new,expensive signings to a minimum. United is big enough to support fan ownership and I weep at the thought that we were available for £10M in 1989.

Well Coutinho and Sturridge were in similar situations before we signed them, and look at the pair now.

When Rodgers took Sigurdsson to Swansea he saw something, he coached him, and he extracted that talent. I think that's one of Rodgers' greatest strengths.

He made Downing pretty fucking good, and transformed Henderson from a bit of a joke to a player who could go to the Emirates and be the standout midfielder, for whatever reason.

I've got no doubts whatsoever that under Rodgers Gylfi could flourish again.

Don't need him. He went to Spurs for the money, so let him rot there.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah Baines is like an RVP signing in a way. Top quality player, bit older than we'd ideally want but too good to pass up if he comes our way. If that happens we'd have three competing for the left back spot, but I'm glad at least the one I care most about, Fabio, is versatile so can play RB as well to get game time. If we got Baines I could see Evra being slowly phased out through rotation and then just lesser games.

Bit of a shame for Evra to be honest; he'd absolutely die for the club and it feels odd that he and Baines will either be rotated or the latter will be starting most games. He's quality, but I just feel a bit sad that Pat won't be first choice :lol

As it stands though, he's over thirty and it's likely to be Rio's last year or so anyway, so having Jones, Smalling and Evans as CB back up while Fabio is understudy to Rafael for a few years until Baines is over the hump himself would be good.

As it stands, we get them in, it improves our first team squad and I try not to feel sad for my baby Patrice.

Facism

Gold Member
mmm Fatih Terim is managing the national team as well as galatasaray now.

Would have been nice if not for the fact that we've pissed away world cup qualification already.

kharma45

Bit of a shame for Evra to be honest; he'd absolutely die for the club and it feels odd that he and Baines will either be rotated or the latter will be starting most games. He's quality, but I just feel a bit sad that Pat won't be first choice :lol

As it stands though, he's over thirty and it's likely to be Rio's last year or so anyway, so having Jones, Smalling and Evans as CB back up while Fabio is understudy to Rafael for a few years until Baines is over the hump himself would be good.

As it stands, we get them in, it improves our first team squad and I try not to feel sad for my baby Patrice.

Yep, Evra is a great character to have around. Real leader in the team and a really positive influence, even when he's not at the top of his game. If he wanted next year to move on to go back to France to finish his career I'd be happy for that to happen, as long as he comes back and joins the club as a coach or something. He's... the sort of person I'd love to see us have around in some capacity for a long time. Losing him and Rio would be sad to see from an influence point of view but I'd hope by next season Evans will be fully ready to start every game and Jones and Smalling should be ready to rotate in.

I don't rate Benzema but I'll take him. Di Maria is an exciting prospect signing, however, but we really need a creative central midfielder, a defensive one and another CB

K1LLER7

I'm surprised they want him but I feel like it's more likely Chelsea just can't help themselves and wanna spend money than it being part of a plan where theyre seriously considering giving their best player away...to a rival team.
But if they really want Rooney, this swap would probably be the only way United would allow Rooney to leave to a rival.

Tc91

Seán O'Sullivan ‏@OSullivanMUFC 2m
I swear to fuck if we turn down any deal involving swapping Mata for Rooney, I'll tell Ed Woodward's kids Santa isn't real.

kharma45

But if they really want Rooney, this swap would probably be the only way United would allow Rooney to leave to a rival.

Yeah we'd need to get a top player off Chelsea if he was to leave. They're not short of cash so taking a load of money off them isn't going to hurt, taking Mata would.

Evra is a great character at the club but the most important thing is how he performs on the pitch.

People seem to be split over it but I think he was poor last year too on the defensive side...there were plenty of games where we were ripping into him.

kharma45

Evra is a great character at the club but the most important thing is how he performs on the pitch.

People seem to be split over it but I think he was poor last year too on the defensive side...there were plenty of games where we were ripping into him.

Yeah he was still poor at times but it was sort of forgotten about with his efforts going forward in the creation of and scoring of goals.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Im not one for wild predictions but if we swapped Rooney for Mata id seriously believe we would be league favourites, its almost too perfect a signing.

I personally think Rooney will, long term, prove a huge disappointment for Chelsea if they get him.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
This season, Evra's been one of our best players so far.

The Baines signing confuses me because Evra is fantastic and Baines isnt a young prospect coming for cover, hes a starter and one of the best in his position. I understand competition for places is good but I legitimately dont understand how you can keep both happy at the club when only one is going to play. Its like buying fucking Michu (yes please :eek:) only so he can sit on the bench while RVP starts every game.

bud

The fuck you say? Someone bombard this man with the Alba gifs -_-

madrid is filled with cunts. di maria, arbeloa, pepe, ramos, xabi, coentrao, etc. cunts. ronaldo and benzema (outside of being a pedophile) seem like nice dudes, but that's about it.

how's your mum doing
can you post a recent pic

Barzul

Are we to believe that Wenger will spend £80m in 11 days?

Arsene Wenger?

Arsenal's Wenger?
Tbh I can. But it is a sellers market, and it all depends on how willing the selling club is. Wenger clearly wants a proven striker this summer.

Flamini - Free
Cabaye - 15m
Benzema - 40m
Dimaria - 17m
Guiata/Begovic - 10m

82m outlay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom