• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holtby playing for our U21s tonight, excellent news.

In a few weeks we should have Sandro, Kaboul, Holtby and Ade all back in the squad on a regular basis.

L1NETT

Who actually is out there for United to buy? There appears to be very slim pickings with a lot of the clubs fighting over the same players.

Bingo. Also thanks to the fake clubs the market is so inflated at the moment clubs know they can sit it out for a week and a bit and gets tons more money when panic sets in.

No club feels pressured to sell and combined with the lack of quality out there....

phaze

QL8Gk1t.gif

bet365 doing one of those £50 free in-play bets for the Man Utd - Chelsea match. Won't be doing it myself, I ended up confusing myself into losing money last time they did that :p

GorillaJu

Fantasy football blows. My striker retiring, my defender suspended and subsequently injured, my midfield giving no fucks about getting me points.

FuturusX

Bingo. Also thanks to the fake clubs the market is so inflated at the moment clubs know they can sit it out for a week and a bit and gets tons more money when panic sets in.

No club feels pressured to sell and combined with the lack of quality out there....

City got it done. There are no value buys. You go big or you go home.

Meier

Benzema cost €41m so I'm not surprised that Madrid would want to recoup their investment, but what has he done other than add experience that would make his value have increased significantly? :lol He hasn't been notably better at Madrid than Lyon.

Maxwell's biggest thing could be it going to a 20nm fabrication but that's not confirmed yet. The unified memory access I don't see being that big a deal for consumers. The purpose of this virtual unified memory is to address the high cost of GDDR5 for Tesla or compute operations which need lots of RAM. I can't see it making a difference in games.

My thinking was it might affect the performance of PC ports if developers are going to be taking advantage it. Hopefully my thinking is wrong.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I feel like I'm being trolled. How are AS Falcao and Dortmund playing at the same time on a Friday.
I can't wait for transfer season to end.
Same. It's by far the most obnoxious player movement period of any sport. The worst part is me telling myself every time "I won't be caught up in the bullshit this time" and it always happens. It's my own personal "transfer window cycle".

GorillaJu

Benzema cost €41m so I'm not surprised that Madrid would want to recoup their investment, but what has he done other than get older that would make his value have increased significantly? :lol

I have a feeling Arsenal won't be paying 46m, if he leaves. Numbers often get thrown about and end up being way off the mark, and historically speaking, Real Madrid don't tend to make a profit selling their players. As is typical with Arsenal as well, the final price is much lower than the originally touted number.

Meier

Regarding that earlier video of Mario pulling a Joey Barton on his teammate in training:

“Mario is crazy! I used to call him El Loco Lindo [the Brilliant Mad Lad]. I got on really well with him – he was a great guy, really funny, always joking around with the rest of the squad.

"Whenever your back was turned in training, he'd start firing balls at you from anywhere! Everyone would be in stitches when he did it because we accepted it was part of his character. He was the dressing room joker, no question!

That's from Kun in an interview with FourFourTwo that just had some excerpts posted by the MEN. Mario is a crazy dude. :lol

kharma45

My thinking was it might affect the performance of PC ports if developers are going to be taking advantage it. Hopefully my thinking is wrong.

It'll be one of those things that we'll just need to wait and see about. I'm sceptical but happy to be proved wrong if it'll improve performance. I'm more optimistic about Volta but it's still years off. What AMD is doing with Kaveri too could be quite cool if it works out. Gigabyte has recently announced a top end FM2+ motherboard for it, unusual for an APU to get a Sniper mobo, hopefully a good sign.

Adnannn, 3-0.

Where is KidA, need my u21s buddy.

Hearing on Twitter our front line is looking verrrryyy fluid and lovely.

Yeah I got them :)

I spent it on Man United merchandise :)

Thanks for organising that last year btw, was good.

I wish I could distance myself from FPL enough to keep the priorites straight. I end up being nearly as concerned for scorers and clean sheets as I am for results, and football is more fun when you'd rather Chelsea lost 4-0 than 4-1 with Mata scoring :p

Shitting myself over the Villa match. Benteke will plant himself on Agger, who is both weaker and slower than him. Then from set pieces, he'll plant himself on Mignolet, who looked nervous as fuck against Stoke. Hopefully Sturridge and Coutinho will beast. I'd like to see th same lineup as the one that started against Stoke, but drop Henderson 10 yards deeper, and 5 yards infield

bjaelke

Shitting myself over the Villa match. Benteke will plant himself on Agger, who is both weaker and slower than him. Then from set pieces, he'll plant himself on Mignolet, who looked nervous as fuck against Stoke. Hopefully Sturridge and Coutinho will beast. I'd like to see th same lineup as the one that started against Stoke, but drop Henderson 10 yards deeper, and 5 yards infield

I was just checking a preview of the match. Apparently Villa have committed 35 fouls and received 9(!) yellow cards already.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/clubs/profile.statistics.html/aston-villa#clubsTabsDisciplinary

Wilbur

Banned
Yanoozai <3 I really like Larnell.

What a tough start to the season for Villa, damn. If Liverpool curb their natural instinct to play right into villa's hands on the counter then I think it'll be a draw.

Meier

Posted yet? ESPNFC has a few tidbits on the Bale saga. Marca are saying the Bale deal is €99m and that he will earn €10m a year after tax which would put his salary in line with Kaka and Ronaldo (his current deal at least). Sport are running with the story that Willian to Chelsea could be done to try and prevent the Bale deal from going through:

garethbalemarcafrontpage20130823_205x285.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
If Levy has the balls to pull out of the Bale deal because of missing out on Willian I'll fucking die laughing. Gareth will cry so much.

Likely Lamela is his direct replacement though and you could argue with Chadli, Lennon and Townsend they don't need Willian.

bjaelke

BBC Sport @BBCSport
Chelsea have agreed a £30m deal to sign attacking midfielder Willian from Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala subject to a work permit hearing

It'll be one of those things that we'll just need to wait and see about. I'm sceptical but happy to be proved wrong if it'll improve performance. I'm more optimistic about Volta but it's still years off. What AMD is doing with Kaveri too could be quite cool if it works out. Gigabyte has recently announced a top end FM2+ motherboard for it, unusual for an APU to get a Sniper mobo, hopefully a good sign.

Hearing on Twitter our front line is looking verrrryyy fluid and lovely.
Yeah they're playing well today.

Henriquez being with us is good, allows Powell and Januzaj to play in their proper positions. Lingard continues to look good at this level, he probably needs a loan more than anyone considered his age.

Yanoozai <3 I really like Larnell.

What a tough start to the season for Villa, damn. If Liverpool curb their natural instinct to play right into villa's hands on the counter then I think it'll be a draw.

Our chances of winning increase exponentially with one sentence

'Lucas, stay back, don't try and nip in to win the ball on the half way line unless you're absolutely sure you will win it.'

There's nothing as terrifying as watching 3 oppositions players sprinting at our temporarily 3-man defense while Gerrard and Lucas sprint back at about half the pace of the attacking team

kharma45

Yeah they're playing well today.

Henriquez being with us is good, allows Powell and Januzaj to play in their proper positions. Lingard continues to look good at this level, he probably needs a loan more than anyone considered his age.

Wonder when Henriquez and Powell will be deemed ready for the first team for a few outings. Carling Cup maybe or am I being too optimistic?

Meier

Man, that's harsh. Kinda feel bad for Spurs but then again, they've hijacked a few deals this year themselves (not as blatantly though).

p.s. WTF at the pic Wilbury retweeted. Dude has a pretty big D at least. They'll like him in jail.

I might be DC'ing but Malaga's manager is awesome.

“Against Barca, we will play with two goalkeepers, a bus and a [high speed train] AVE,” joked Schuster on COPE this week.

“Messi’s possible absence through injury? He should not play, the humidity in Malaga is dangerous for the muscles…”

The German was asked his opinion of former club Real Madrid closing in on a world record move for Gareth Bale.

“The price is in another world, for which we had experienced for a year-and-a-half.

“For the other teams, they cannot compete with Real Madrid and Barcelona.

“If we had €99m then the first thing I would do is increase my salary and then we’d look to the market, whilst those who have left would have stayed, especially Isco and Joaquin.”

Schuster kept his attention on Madrid and the continued discussion over Iker Casillas’ place in the team.

“He is lucky that Vicente del Bosque is fixed, otherwise he should be thinking, as there are many players who have left Spain to increase their chances of being in the World Cup in Brazil.

“But I do not want to believe that Iker will be a back-up all season.”

Wilbur

Banned
Man, that's harsh. Kinda feel bad for Spurs but then again, they've hijacked a few deals this year themselves (not as blatantly though).

p.s. WTF at the pic Wilbury retweeted. Dude has a pretty big D at least. They'll like him in jail.

I'm sitting on the very same bus right now :loooooooo, 151 is crazy. No sign of Big D McGee though.

Wonder when Henriquez and Powell will be deemed ready for the first team for a few outings. Carling Cup maybe or am I being too optimistic?
Yup no reason why not, Powell and Adnan for sure. Henriquez might find it tough since we have a big first team squad...not sure how space there will be for him this season.

Powell is probably our best player in this match. Playing in CM to lol.

Wilbur

Banned
While we're here on the subject of Chelsea, is it blasphemy I don't want Mata? Doesn't solve our problems on the wing or in centre midfield and would just be another player where Rooney and/or Kagawa play.

kharma45

Yup no reason why not, Powell and Adnan for sure. Henriquez might find it tough since we have a big first team squad...not sure how space there will be for him this season.

Powell is probably our best player in this match. Playing in CM to lol.

Powell got some minutes playing in CM last season and was OK for us, I wouldn't mind us trying him there with a license to go forward and Carrick sit back.

Henriquez yeah might not find any space, we've already got four in the first team so even in the CC he might find it hard to get playing, bench at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom