• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Yup no reason why not, Powell and Adnan for sure. Henriquez might find it tough since we have a big first team squad...not sure how space there will be for him this season.

Powell is probably our best player in this match. Playing in CM to lol.

If Rooney goes I'd rather see Cole and Gohan given chances then buy a new striker, and Adnan and Lingard can cover when Kagawa, Cleverley, Welbeck all arent there behind RVP as well. It'll be a tough ask but as long as they are back up and not expected to start then I'd rather see that than us bring in another striker.

CM needs sorting priority wise even if Rooney goes.

Wilbur

Banned
Mata plays very well on the wing.

He's neutered there though, much like Kagawa. You play them both in one side and one has to be sacrificed a tad; not that they can't dovetail effectively, but you'd want your best players in their best positions and when one of them was out wide while the other prospered behind RVP, you wouldn't be getting that.

Meier

995773_10153175178640455_1643688217_n.jpg

Nice hat, Kolo. Can't stay away.

FuturusX

If Rooney goes I'd rather see Cole and Gohan given chances then buy a new striker, and Adnan and Lingard can cover when Kagawa, Cleverley, Welbeck all arent there behind RVP as well. It'll be a tough ask but as long as they are back up and not expected to start then I'd rather see that than us bring in another striker.

Wellbeck is good. I never wanted the lad to do well. But he's the real deal. With RVP UTD are sorted up front.

Powell got some minutes playing in CM last season and was OK for us, I wouldn't mind us trying him there with a license to go forward and Carrick sit back.

Henriquez yeah might not find any space, we've already got four in the first team so even in the CC he might find it hard to get playing, bench at best.
Powell should probably go on loan, he finds it very easy at this level esp cos of his physique.

Cole is a midfielder.

Rooney won't go now anyways. We'd have to replace his goals though, quite likely Kagawa/Welbeck could make them up this season, but if we did sell him he'd need replacing, whether it was a striker or a midfielder, he has a level of quality well well above anything our youngsters can offer over a season.

justjohn

Posted yet? ESPNFC has a few tidbits on the Bale saga. Marca are saying the Bale deal is €99m and that he will earn €10m a year after tax which would put his salary in line with Kaka and Ronaldo (his current deal at least). Sport are running with the story that Willian to Chelsea could be done to try and prevent the Bale deal from going through:

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/design05/images/2013/0823/
garethbalemarcafrontpage20130823_205x285.jpg[/
IMG][/QUOTE]
Why would chelsea try and stop the bale deal going through? If anything they should be hoping for the opposite.

kharma45

Powell should probably go on loan, he finds it very easy at this level esp cos of his physique. .

Yeah he seems strong enough, good body check there about 5 mins ago ha.

I would be happy to see Henriquez move up the pecking order if Rooney left, but he's going nowhere it seems to maybe Gohan should try to find a loan deal.

End of the transfer window is going to be ridiculous. Hopefully we're not victims to the nonsens, and can maybe even take advantage.

Ah, who am I kidding? We'll end up buying Alex Pearce for £30m at 11:59

Fuck it, next component time

@kharma, any chance that GPU will lower in price over the next month? Or shall I get it now while it comes with the game? Also, are thre ever any offers for WIndows 8, or is £65 (or whatever it is) the definite price? Obviously I'll buy that last regardless

omgkitty

New quotes from Jack Wilshere, with a very telling quote:

“I want to win things with Arsenal and I want to be there in the future, but if the boss leaves then things could change.
“Arsenal are always in my heart and by signing a deal for the next five years shows my commitment to them and their commitment to me so at the moment everything is good.
“Arsene Wenger has been there for so many years and he’s always delivered trophies.
“OK we’ve had a little dip in the last five or six years, but he’s a great manager and people who question his ability are ridiculous.
“He’s qualified for the Champions’ League for 16 years so I think he’s the right man for the job.”

LTWheels

@Liverpool fans

In relatve hindsight, do you regret FSG's decision to sack Kenny?

Nope. I enjoy how we play football under Rodgers. Was not really a fan of Kenny's style. I feel that we are exciting to watch now. Brendan's strengths lie in coaching players; considering the amount of young talent we have, seems to be a good match.

I agree with you guys btw. Don't ever say anything of the sort on RAWK though, your account will be obliterated within a minute :p

@Futurus, for some reason I compltely trust Rodgers to take us upwards, even though my brain tells me that he's proved nothing so far. I think last January's transfer business increased my faith in him exponentially. And he tends to keep us out of the firing line regarding press conferences and PR decisions, so that's nice

FuturusX

Makes you wonder what Rogers could achieve now if he had all the money that Comolli & Dalglish basically threw off a bridge.

True. He's solid. The team are playing attractive football. That's all I can ask for right now.

My heart just wanted that top tier Manager. But in all honesty Liverpool had nothing to offer a manger of that caliber. He was probably the best choice of the slim pickings we had.

Without massive investment ala City or Chelsea we'll have to do it another way.

kharma45

Fuck it, next component time

@kharma, any chance that GPU will lower in price over the next month? Or shall I get it now while it comes with the game? Also, are thre ever any offers for WIndows 8, or is £65 (or whatever it is) the definite price? Obviously I'll buy that last regardless

Anyone's guess really. Can't see the 670 going any lower really, then it'd be too cheap haha. Windows rarely gets discounted.

pcfifabros we playing now

I'm coming now.

GorillaJu

@Liverpool fans

In relatve hindsight, do you regret FSG's decision to sack Kenny?

No. I'm enjoying the current direction. I don't think we would have done any better under Kenny than we have under Rodgers, and I think the squad Rodgers is building is much more modern and to my taste as a spectator.

Makes you wonder what Rogers could achieve now if he had all the money that Comolli & Dalglish basically threw off a bridge.

No kidding. The transfer committee we have set up now is doing their jobs alright, but if that had been in place two years earlier and given a blank check like Comolli was, we'd have made a few big signings, surely. Every year that passes without CL football, it gets harder and harder to make those signings.

LTWheels

Yeah. Owners are scared of spending large money now. We are targeting the right kind of players and for the cheaper transfers we have been unearthing some little gems.

Its created a bit of a rift in my mind as well. On the one hand, FSG are right to be very cautious with money like that, we're not in a financial position where we can endlessly waste sums of £20m-£35m, and they had their fingers burned to a crisp with Carroll and Downing (and Henderson to a much lesser extent.) And while Rodgers is evidently much more savvy in the transfer market than Kenny/Commoli, he did go for Borini and Allen, neither of which have come close to justifying their prices as yet (and I doubt Borini ever will at Liverpool

On the other hand, Sturridge and Coutinho have been brilliant so far, Aspas, Toure and Mignolet (yes, early days) look to be astute purchases, and he's done a brilliant job of temporarily filling the holes in the squad with our youth players, and has overseen a bit of a resurgence for Gerrard, got the best out of Suarez (in terms of playing,) and got Henderson playing much better. I think an argument can be made that he's done enough good for the club to be trusted with the real big bucks once a year when he asks for them, at last until he proves that he can't be trusted with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom