• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShogunX

Hearsay nonsense? Its nonsense to suggest that we showed a distinct lack of ability to handle intense closing down in defense and midfield? Why is it nonsense? Because its not true? No. Because there are extrenuating circumstances which won't apply to the Man Utd game? No. Because we won? Ding-ding.

Bullshit. Reminds me of being on RAWK and being jumped on by a load of people who are incapable of concieving of a world where other fans can be simultanously happy with results, and mildly worried by performances.

It's nonsense because we wont be sitting this deep against Man Utd and be looking to hit them on the counter. Rodgers is obviously changing his game plan to suit the team we are playing against. Villa have used their speed on the counter very well against both Arsenal and Chelsea and Rodgers has adjusted accordingly.

We invited pressure in the second half against Villa and looked to use Coutinho, Sturridge and Aspas on the break but it just never happened. Not worth worrying about performances two weeks into a new season. How many times last season did we play very well and come way with nothing? If anything it's good to see us grind out a win.

As for the RAWK comparison....sheer stupidity.

Lol, Pardew blaming Newcastle's draw on West Ham's long-ball tactics. In spite of the fact that Newcastle put in more long-balls per game than any other Premiership team last season.

Walshy

Do you reckon we should have bought Sterling on?

We were playing a fair amount of long balls (mainly clearances) and Sterling would have had a chance to catch up with a few of them perhaps before they reached Villa's defenders, but then again we were losing out on most of them in the aerial battles, and Sterling would not have helped there.
Definitely. We was too narrow in the closing minutes and we was inviting pressure from Villa, but then again we should of been awarded a penalty.

Wow, just now saw that rumour that Liverpool gonna offer 23M€ for Yarmolenko. Hands off, you buggers.
Is he any good?

Wilbur

Banned
You both use RAWK you plonks. Chill lest I try and find your posting history there

Lol, Pardew blaming Newcastle's draw on West Ham's long-ball tactics. In spite of the fact that Newcastle put in more long-balls per game than any other Premiership team last season.

Loooooooool the only reports I've read today have all criticised Newcastle for playing long ball. Pardew's a turkey

Hixx

Hixx was right.

BSdDxx2CMAA45aD.jpg

;_;

Westwood is mint, its ok Hixx. Ssssh its ok Hixx....

GorillaJu

How fucking bland is Paul Lambert.

Bores my tits off.

I like him. He doesn't bullshit.

Martinez: "We were excellent (after losing 4-0). There are ever so many positive signs from today and I'm thrilled with the team's performance."
AVB: "ehhhh... uuhhhh... and uhh.. we uhh... We had a uhhh.. a good a good a good uhhh... performance..."
Moyes: "If I were the official, I would have said 'okay, yeah, it's a bit offside but I'll let this one go'."
Kenny: "I never said that. You were the ones sayin that. I never said that. You can put it in your story that I never said that. It was you who said it."
Pardew: "I've got no idea what the fuck is going on. Where am I, exactly?"

I prefer Paul Lambert over the above.

Wilbur

Banned
Lambert's great. When he and Rodgers were at Norwich and Swansea, I proclaimed that Lambert was the better of the two.

I think both have done really good jobs at their clubs so far. I still stand by it. Brentan cannot have my love.

Martinez: "We were excellent (after losing 4-0). There are ever so many positive signs from today and I'm thrilled with the team's performance."
AVB: "ehhhh... uuhhhh... and uhh.. we uhh... We had a uhhh.. a good a good a good uhhh... performance..."
Moyes: "If I were the official, I would have said 'okay, yeah, it's a bit offside but I'll let this one go'."
Kenny: "I never said that. You were the ones sayin that. I never said that. You can put it in your story that I never said that. It was you who said it."

Do not be jel of that husky voice.

Labadal

Do you reckon we should have bought Sterling on?

We were playing a fair amount of long balls (mainly clearances) and Sterling would have had a chance to catch up with a few of them perhaps before they reached Villa's defenders, but then again we were losing out on most of them in the aerial battles, and Sterling would not have helped there.

Sterling for Aspas and Borini for Sturridge last ten minutes. Sturridge barely ran the last ten. A lucky clearance or a slighty misplaced Villa ball could have been taken advantage of with fresh legs.

Arnie

I actually loved today's result and performance because it indicated to me that Rodgers is learning. Did we sit deep against Villa last season when they tonked us at Anfield? No. Their counter-attack is frightening, and Rodgers was naive not to prepare sufficiently against it back then. Not today, though.

We went into the match with a plan that centred around balance. Don't open up too much, play patiently and with our heads, earn a lead. We did that and then we'd prepared defensively to not give their team any space to play.

I'd rather play deep, look to make tackles and blocks and rely on a goalkeeper to force a couple of saves if it means getting three points. And I don't think today's tactical setup dictates that we're going to sit as deep against United. I think that's wonky logic.

Loooooooool the only reports I've read today have all criticised Newcastle for playing long ball. Pardew's a turkey

I miss this Pardew;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0SGosF-Hhg

The one without the weight of Geordie expectation hanging over him, the cheeky chappy who makes ill-advised rape-based comments as a pundit, the sex-pest who shags club receptionists and Carl Fletcher's missus then takes out an injunction to stop the press incriminating him, the Alan Partridge-esque manager who winds up Wenger to breaking point, etc.

Hixx

Lambert's great. When he and Rodgers were at Norwich and Swansea, I proclaimed that Lambert was the better of the two.

I think both have done really good jobs at their clubs so far. I still stand by it. Brentan cannot have my love.

I share your opinion but Lambert is vastly less likable since he moved to Villa. It's like when Hodgson went to Liverpool, he turned into a bit of a megacunt overnight.

Rodgers was a bell before he went to Liverpool so at least he's walking a straight line of bellendery.

It's nonsense because we wont be sitting this deep against Man Utd and be looking to hit them on the counter. Rodgers is obviously changing his game plan to suit the team we are playing against. Villa have used their speed on the counter very well against both Arsenal and Chelsea and Rodgers has adjusted accordingly.

We invited pressure in the second half against Villa and looked to use Coutinho, Sturridge and Aspas on the break but it just never happened. Not worth worrying about performances two weeks into a new season. How many times last season did we play very well and come way with nothing? If anything it's good to see us grind out a win.

As for the RAWK comparison....sheer stupidity.

Fair enough we probably won't play the same way against Man Utd (at least intentionally) but I find it worrying that we looked so inept at dealing with it. It reminded me of the first half at Old Trafford last season, and that was a one off, so I hope to God the same is true of those last 50 minutes :p

Its nice not to be punished when we're under the cosh, but we could do with options on the bench to help us deal with it. Allen basically played like Lucas when he came on, only 20 yards higher up the pitch, complete with the dawdling on the ball. Think we could do with an average version of Wanyama or *gulp* Yaya Toure who can pick the ball up from defense and simply burst 40 yards up the pitch to relieve the pressure. Looked like that was essentially Cissokho's job, only on the wing

Agger makes me so nervous. He's class on his day but you know there's always a massive fuck up in him.

With that Benteke attempt at the end, he really switched off. He headed the ball clear, and just stood there while Benteke was already behind him anticipating the flick-on from that tall lad (Helilovic was it?) In a game and position where inches count, he needs to cut out those moments where he does that. Still, 2 clean sheets, back 5 must be doing something right :p

Wilbur

Banned
I miss this Pardew;

The one without the weight of Geordie expectation hanging over him, the cheeky chappy who makes ill-advised rape-based comments as a pundit, the sex-pest who shags club receptionists and Carl Fletcher's missus then takes out an injunction to stop the press incriminating him, the Alan Partridge-esque manager who winds up Wenger to breaking point, etc.

When you say it like that he's quite brilliant really isn't he

GorillaJu

I actually loved today's result and performance because it indicated to me that Rodgers is learning. Did we sit deep against Villa last season when they tonked us at Anfield? No. Their counter-attack is frightening, and Rodgers was naive not to prepare sufficiently against it back then. Not today, though.

We went into the match with a plan that centred around balance. Don't open up too much, play patiently and with our heads, earn a lead. We did that and then we'd prepared defensively to not give their team any space to play.

I'd rather play deep, look to make tackles and blocks and rely on a goalkeeper to force a couple of saves if it means getting three points. And I don't think today's tactical setup dictates that we're going to sit as deep against United. I think that's wonky logic.

We were much better prepared. Sat deep, and took Agbonlahor out of the game completely.

Wilbur

Banned
I share your opinion but Lambert is vastly less likable since he moved to Villa. It's like when Hodgson went to Liverpool, he turned into a bit of a megacunt overnight.

Rodgers was a bell before he went to Liverpool so at least he's walking a straight line of bellendery.

Oh they're both cocks, there's no denying that. Every manager in the league's a fucking fart bubble apart from Chris Hughton.

I see that as an opening to bring up classic Ian Holloway quotes. :)
We're so lucky to have Ollie as a manager in that aspect, never a boring interview or press conference with him. This old classic quote about an ugly win where his team didn't perform but still picked up the points is the best I ever heard. I he hope will someday bring something as classic as Palace manager. :)

Ian Holloway said:
To put it in gentleman's terms if you've been out for a night and you're looking for a young lady and you pull one, some weeks they're good looking and some weeks they're not the best. Our performance today would have been not the best looking bird but at least we got her in the taxi. She wasn't the best looking lady we ended up taking home but she was very pleasant and very nice, so thanks very much, let's have a coffee

lol, anyone seen that Blackpool goal? Wayne Bridge makes a tit of himself, then Reading's CB (Pearce maybe) falls on his arse and starts playing crab football while the Blackpool player waltzes through and scores

Arnie

AVB's an absolute grumbly dick, whilst we're on the subject. Fucking murmuring his way to nothing in every conversation he's ever had. Then he'll throw in a word like 'dimension', play with his hair, and the journalists/remjobs lap it all up.

3Sixty

I miss this Pardew;

He also fucked Jose Fonte's wife.

Wilbur

Banned
I see that as an opening to bring up classic Ian Holloway quotes. :)
We're so lucky to have Ollie as a manager in that aspect, never a boring interview or press conference with him. This old classic quote about an ugly win where his team didn't perform but still picked up the points is the best I ever heard. I he hope will someday bring something as classic as Palace manager. :)

He's got some soundbites but he's a tosser. Still last time you were in the PL it was Dowie so the only way is up!

Ben Smith says Cabaye refused to play for Newcastle today.

That's what you get for trying to run your football club as any business, never caring about team spirit or club values. Every club has players like those from time to time, but in Newcastles case I would guess that about 90% of the players are prepared to pull stunts like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom