• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
The only reason Arsenal make fourth is Wenger. I wouldn't hesitate in saying their squad is worse than Liverpool's. Probably not their first team, but their squad; and now they seem to have about 14 players.

For all of Wenger's faults, and there are a fucking bunch of them, he's also one of the elite managers in the sport, one of the very best around. Arsenal wouldn't have come fourth without everything he does for the club last year. It really quite disappoints me when so many people call for his head and don't figure the alternative would be the board keeping money from a lesser manager.

Wilbur

Banned
LOL It's not my website, I work with the guys who own it. It a game they want to make. Don't make assumptions, plastic. And obviously the game isn't being made for you since you "hate that kind of shit" as you put it.

You sound mad with my post.

tumblr_lertifvlWs1qeew1po1_400.gif

Arnie

Presumably we would be filling the holes in our squad without him, though.

Bit of a paradox innit.

Such a fucking odd situation they have going on there. He's simultaneously holding them back, and keeping them afloat
Very strange.

He's simultaneously brilliant and pathetic. Psychologically I don't think he's cut out for the job anymore, because he can't bring himself to spend the money required to get the players in. And I think his scouting's fucking flawed, too. It's Newcastle-esque. The two players he's linked with are fucking french. STOP IT. If you're desperate for a french speaker, go Belgian, but fuck buying French footballers. They're wank. They sign contracts without even looking at the page (sorry Aly).
The only reason Arsenal make fourth is Wenger. I wouldn't hesitate in saying their squad is worse than Liverpool's. Probably not their first team, but their squad; and now they seem to have about 14 players.

For all of Wenger's faults, and there are a fucking bunch of them, he's also one of the elite managers in the sport, one of the very best around. Arsenal wouldn't have come fourth without everything he does for the club last year. It really quite disappoints me when so many people call for his head and don't figure the alternative would be the board keeping money from a lesser manager.
I don't even think this is a case of the board not giving him money, I think it's Arsene not being capable of spending it.

They will come fourth. This league outside of the top 5 is very mediocre and wenger is still is a very good coach.

Isn;t that paradoxical to what you said earlier? How can a club outside the top 5 be mediocre compared to those in it, yet be expected to challenge for fourth until the last day?

dc89

Aguero: “I am very happy with City. I love Manchester. I have signed for another year. I’m happy to be here as I’ve been treated so well.”

@City-watch

Music to my ears ^.^

Salvadora

I don't even think this is a case of the board not giving him money, I think it's Arsene not being capable of spending it.
The stories coming out of Arsenal this summer have indicated that there is a very sizable sum of money available to Wenger, he just hasn't spent a penny. He has dallied on pulling the trigger on a number of targets apparently. Still an absolutely brilliant manager though. I want someone to hold his hand and guide him through the market.

Wilbur thinks we would go to Poundland for a new manager, but Wenger is on gigantic wages. The one place I don't think we would skimp on.

Wilbur

Banned
Very strange.

He's simultaneously brilliant and pathetic. Psychologically I don't think he's cut out for the job anymore, because he can't bring himself to spend the money required to get the players in. And I think his scouting's fucking flawed, too. It's Newcastle-esque. The two players he's linked with are fucking french. STOP IT. If you're desperate for a french speaker, go Belgian, but fuck buying French footballers. They're wank. They sign contracts without even looking at the page (sorry Aly).

Depends what though. I mean, if I had been quoted 40m for Higuain or whatever it was? No fucking way would I pay it. Even Suarez, who is an incredible talent, has been banned for however many games and its arguable the team have looked just as good or better without him in it, so spending 60m or so would be a big risk.

He should have spent money this summer, without a doubt. But for the two he's apparently been close to, I can understand why Higuain and Suarez aren't wearing Arsenal shirts right now.

The stories coming out of Arsenal this summer have indicated that there is a very sizable sum of money available to Wenger, he just hasn't spent a penny. He has dallied on pulling the trigger on a number of targets apparently. Still an absolutely brilliant manager though. I want someone to hold his hand and guide him through the market.

Wilbur thinks we would go to Poundland for a new manager, but Wenger is on gigantic wages. The one place I don't think we would skimp on.

Klopp would be an amazing fit for you, think (and hope) he's at Dortmund for years to come though

Wilbur

Banned

It's not that, but realistically who could you attract that is better than Wenger? There's only a handful in the game at his level. A lot of Arsenal fans would want Klopp, but that just isn't happening. Who else can you even think of that would a) be interested, b) interest Arsenal and c) be good enough?

Someone might come out of nowhere and blow us away but right now I don't see how getting rid at the end of the season and turning elsewhere would improve things. If another manager was in charge and he spent 35-40m on Higuain, I'd have fucking died laughing. He just isn't worth the cash.

Wenger has a myriad of flaws, spending money being one of them. Would it help to have someone in a la Baldini to handle transfers? Of course, but that isn't going to happen. Spurs have a much better squad than Arsenal but the reason not everyone's ready to pick them for top four is because of Wenger. Would you rather have AVB/Baldini/Spurs' squad, or your squad and Wenger?

GorillaJu

I feel similar to you. I've reached a point in life where I quite enjoy watching Liverpool, where I look forward to hearing what comes out of Brendan's mouth, where I actively would rather they qualified for the Champions League than Chelsea, City and Arsenal.

What's happening to me

Am I becoming a plastic Liverpool fan

That's because we aren't a threat. It's no problem when we're mid-table and trophyless year after year. If we somehow were challenging for the title again, you'd hate Liverpool like you have Chelsea, City and Arsenal.

Wilbur

Banned
That's because we aren't a threat. It's no problem when we're mid-table and trophyless year after year. If we somehow were challenging for the title again, you'd hate Liverpool like you have Chelsea, City and Arsenal.

but you are describing arsenal

fuck me almunia just made a brilliant save in the last minute, tipped it onto the post

anthonyOA

The double signing could be announced later this week. The transfer of Eto’o, the 32-year-old former Inter Milan and Barcelona striker, is part of the agreement to sign Brazil midfielder Willian but Jose Mourinho does not want Eto’o’s involvement to become public until after Monday night’s Premier League game against Manchester United. Mourinho hopes that continuing the speculation over Chelsea’s interest in Rooney, who may start, will unsettle United.

Almost exactly what I said Mourinho would do. An odious character he is.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Pre-Conte: Milan fans absolutely loved Juventini, on twitter and IRL. We were so harmless and cute.

Post-Conte: JUVE MERDA

(not all of them to be fair, I'm just exaggerating :p <3)

keit4

Banned
Deportivo is playing against Real Madrid a friendly match (Teresa Herrera trophy) this thursday. Bale to debut against us lol

GorillaJu

Pre-Conte: Milan fans absolutely loved Juventini, on twitter and IRL. We were so harmless and cute.

Post-Conte: JUVE MERDA

(not all of them to be fair, I'm just exaggerating :p <3)

And now Milan are suffering from a dip not dissimilar from Liverpool's, as well.

Feorax

I can see Chelsea being very busy from now towards deadline day. My bets are:

IN

Rooney
Willian

OUT

Ba (West Ham)
Moses (Loan, Wigan or Everton)
Torres (Loan, fuck knows)

Wilbur

Banned
Wooden, is Cornelius playing?! I left him out my fantasy team, FUCK

IN

Rooney
Willian

OUT

Ba (West Ham)

Ba's rumoured to Roma, I think. Don't think Torres will leave if Ba does, even if a striker comes in.

justjohn

IN

Rooney
Willian

OUT
Of
Ba (West Ham)
Torres will stay. Its a very long season and we might need his supposed quality during tricky times.
But we definitely have to get to rid of him next summer. Dont care how.

Salvadora

Klopp would be an amazing fit for you, think (and hope) he's at Dortmund for years to come though
I've noticed recently that Wenger has threw a few sly digs at Dortmund for unknown reasons. I feel like there is some sort of unreported beef there. Whoever we get Wenger will have a huge hand in it, so it'll probably be the Bulgarian Dragon in Japan.
It's not that, but realistically who could you attract that is better than Wenger? There's only a handful in the game at his level. A lot of Arsenal fans would want Klopp, but that just isn't happening. Who else can you even think of that would a) be interested, b) interest Arsenal and c) be good enough?

Someone might come out of nowhere and blow us away but right now I don't see how getting rid at the end of the season and turning elsewhere would improve things. If another manager was in charge and he spent 35-40m on Higuain, I'd have fucking died laughing. He just isn't worth the cash.

Wenger has a myriad of flaws, spending money being one of them. Would it help to have someone in a la Baldini to handle transfers? Of course, but that isn't going to happen. Spurs have a much better squad than Arsenal but the reason not everyone's ready to pick them for top four is because of Wenger. Would you rather have AVB/Baldini/Spurs' squad, or your squad and Wenger?
I could sit here and rattle off the biggest names in football, because we could certainly afford/attract them, but who knows because Wenger would leave at the earliest in summer 2014. The landscape will be completely different. It's a bit of a whitewash to shrug off Wenger's failings this summer on the Higuain/Suarez situations as we have become threadbare all over the pitch and he has failed to do a thing. We bid £20m for Reina three summers ago, why couldn't we buy a keeper since? He has said before that he would welcome a DoF, we just need someone to implement it.

And Arsenal are not a mid-table team you turkey, the Koptomism you and your fellow United fans are feeling has gone to your head.

GorillaJu

Don't agree, I thought he was quite relentless in his work up front, in pressing and closing down the space.

And I personally believe he is good enough that teams should be going into the game with a plan for him. He could walk into Chelsea's first 11 right now, or Arsenal's. Quite why nobody threw down a £25-30 million bid when the transfer request had been placed I don't know, especially as Spurs, Arsenal, and Chelsea all needed a striker, and all have been prepared to meet the £30 milllion mark (and beyond) for one.

After his display at Stamford Bridge I expect Mourinho to go in hard for him next summer, depending on how well Lukaku's done. In my opinion he's much better than Lukaku, although that's a fairly obvious assessment.

I think Weimann and Benteke are both brilliant players, but at the moment the most impressive Villa player to me has to be Fabian Delph. Benteke has the quality, no question. But Delph was fantastic vs Arsenal and did a great job vs us as well.

Sleepy

The stories coming out of Arsenal this summer have indicated that there is a very sizable sum of money available to Wenger, he just hasn't spent a penny. He has dallied on pulling the trigger on a number of targets apparently.

And the initial bids he places seem low. I'm not saying that Cabaye is worth 17, but 10 is a miserable bid, and it allows another team to come in over the top of Arsenal. The market is overvalued and it only gets worse the longer he waits. By his bidding pattern, I really don't think he wants to bring anyone in.

Wilbur

Banned
I could sit here and rattle off the biggest names in football, because we could certainly afford/attract them

Who? The biggest (read, best) names in football are:

Mourinho - no chance
Guardiola - no chance
Klopp - no chance
Ancelotti - no chance
Conte - no chance

Then you have managers like Pellegrini and Simeone who aren't going to leave their clubs. It's very likely you'll get someone like the bloke who works for Wenger's old club like you say, and that certainly won't inspire anything in Arsenal fans. You could always do what Liverpool did, hire from within the league and get a bright young coach, but I can't see that placating Arsenal fans either.

Not all of you, but a lot of you have an overexaggerated sense of worth, because of what Wenger has achieved for you. When he's gone, and you have to get someone in, do you think any of the managers I named would be interested in Arsenal? I really don't. Other than them, you'd be taking a risk and going for someone without a pedigree.

faridmon

The problem with Arsenal, me thinks, is stagnation. Whoever they bring, whoever remains, they will have the same mentality, playstyle, etc. The problem is not inherently with any of the components that make up the Club. Arsene is a good coach who won things in the past. Arsenal is a big Club who are situated in London (players do care) and have a lot of money (which they can spend but chose not to) and the players are talented on their right. However, the problem stems that together, they are not functional group that can grind out results like Chlease, just because the root of it all comes back again and again every single year. Crisis, then wins, then mixed qualities in the pitch during the next few months, then collapse, then adrenaline.its all too familiar.

anthonyOA

Mourinho - no chance
Guardiola - no chance
Klopp - no chance
Ancelotti - no chance
Conte - no chance

Then you have managers like Pellegrini and Simeone who aren't going to leave their clubs. It's very likely you'll get someone like the bloke who works for Wenger's old club like you say, and that certainly won't inspire anything in Arsenal fans. You could always do what Liverpool did, hire from within the league and get a bright young coach, but I can't see that placating Arsenal fans either.

Not all of you, but a lot of you have an overexaggerated sense of worth, because of what Wenger has achieved for you. When he's gone, and you have to get someone in, do you think any of the managers I named would be interested in Arsenal? I really don't. Other than them, you'd be taking a risk and going for someone without a pedigree.

Laudrup? I think he'd go. He'd know how to spend that money too.

Mastadon

Banned

Mourinho - no chance
Guardiola - no chance
Klopp - no chance
Ancelotti - no chance
Conte - no chance

Rafa should be available by then.

But seriously, someone like Bielsa would be good for Arsenal.

justjohn

Conte said recently that he would love to manage in the premiership. If arsenal offer him good money and the promise to sign top players I see no reason why they can't get him.

Wilbur

Banned
Laudrup? I think he'd go. He'd know how to spend that money too.

We'll see how Swansea do this season. Wooden has repeatedly called Laudrup a one season wonder so I'm interested to see how it goes.

Rafa should be available by then.

But seriously, someone like Bielsa would be good for Arsenal.

Lol can you imagine the high line pressing Bielsa would make Mertesacker do

It would be hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom