• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see Chelsea being very busy from now towards deadline day. My bets are:

IN

Rooney
Willian

OUT

Ba (West Ham)
Moses (Loan, Wigan or Everton)
Torres (Loan, fuck knows)

I would be very disappointed if Ba came back to us - he can put them away and we do need a goalscorer, but he's a mercenary with 3 transfers in 3 years and a serious knee injury hanging over him. Also, we can't afford the wages he's likely on without getting rid of some other players because of the financial fair play rules, so that's likely our business concluded for the summer. I'd take Moses on a loan though, if we could fit his wages in some where.

CORNER CORNER CORNER CORNER CORNELIUUUUUUUUUS CORNELIUUUUUUUUUUS CORNELIUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSS

ezWS7FG.jpg

IS ON THE BENCHH

IS ON THE BENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNCHHHHHHH

Salvadora

Who? The biggest (read, best) names in football are:

Mourinho - no chance
Guardiola - no chance
Klopp - no chance
Ancelotti - no chance
Conte - no chance

Then you have managers like Pellegrini and Simeone who aren't going to leave their clubs. It's very likely you'll get someone like the bloke who works for Wenger's old club like you say, and that certainly won't inspire anything in Arsenal fans. You could always do what Liverpool did, hire from within the league and get a bright young coach, but I can't see that placating Arsenal fans either.

Not all of you, but a lot of you have an overexaggerated sense of worth, because of what Wenger has achieved for you. When he's gone, and you have to get someone in, do you think any of the managers I named would be interested in Arsenal? I really don't. Other than them, you'd be taking a risk and going for someone without a pedigree.
Mourinho is the obvious outlier there, but other than that, how can you say with any certainty that we couldn't attract any of those managers? Arsenal are one of the biggest sports teams in the world, have a ton of money and play attractive football in the biggest league in the world. Both Guardiola & Conte want to manage in England one day, and iirc Ancelotti enjoyed life there.

Blinded by your bias me thinks.

Mourinho is the obvious outlier there, but other than that, how can you say with any certainty that we couldn't attract any of those managers? Arsenal are one of the biggest sports teams in the world, have a ton of money and play attractive football in the biggest league in the world. Both Guardiola & Conte want to manage in England one day, and iirc Ancelotti enjoyed life there.

Surely by the time Arsene is gone, Ancelotti will be too old to be a viable option anyway?

Wilbur

Banned

Not at all blinded. I don't have anything against Arsenal, where would my bias be?

People want Wenger out now. If they don't get fourth, it's likely he'll be out by May 2014. Do you see Guardiola leaving Bayern by then, or Ancelotti Real? Klopp Dortmund? The only possible one is Conte leaving Juve depending on how they do, but I just don't see it.

Also until you win trophies and spend money, it's a bit of a fallacy to say you're one of the biggest and you have a ton of money.

3Sixty

Do you regret Adkins' sacking or is Pochettino doing enough to give you more faith in him?

(obviously I know that you're still annoyed how it happened)

I have more faith in Pochettino taking us to the cliched next level than Adkins.

Mopo being an absolute gent and results going well have helped ofcourse but was still a little harsh on Nige.

ryan-ts

Arsenal isn't winning anything right now. Even if a new coach turned out to be garbage, I don't think the fans would get much angrier. No Arsenal fan is happy scrapping into the CL year after year. Worst comes to worst for Arsenal, they'll just let Usmanov in and spend their way to victory.

Salvadora

Not at all blinded. I don't have anything against Arsenal, where would my bias be?

People want Wenger out now. If they don't get fourth, it's likely he'll be out by May 2014. Do you see Guardiola leaving Bayern by then, or Ancelotti Real? Klopp Dortmund? The only possible one is Conte leaving Juve depending on how they do, but I just don't see it.

Also until you win trophies and spend money, it's a bit of a fallacy to say you're one of the biggest and you have a ton of money.
Right and as I said, the landscape could change dramatically by the time Wenger is out the door. Any of those things could happen (especially if Guardiola keeps playing Alaba at CB). Dismissing Arsenal's entire chances of securing a top manager is misguided I think.

We are one of the biggest in sports, look: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45edmjk/10-arsenal-4/ and the money is there if you look at our spreadsheets!

Edit: And I called you biased because you're running around saying Arsenal are a mid-table team. I always thought you more rational than that.

Feorax

Torres has a fairly massive decision to make this year. This will likely be his last world cup, and I can easily see him being overlooked for the squad if he's nothing more than a bit part player for Chelsea this year.

If a decent size club comes in for him with the aim of giving him a significant amount of game time, and Chelsea are happy to let him go, he'd be insane not to lower his wage demands.

Right now he should already be behind Lukaku and Schurrle IMO, and if Rooney joins, that's not going to help at all.

Torres has a fairly massive decision to make this year. This will likely be his last world cup, and I can easily see him being overlooked for the squad if he's nothing more than a bit part player for Chelsea this year.

If a decent size club comes in for him with the aim of giving him a significant amount of game time, and Chelsea are happy to let him go, he'd be insane not to lower his wage demands.

Right now he should already be behind Lukaku and Schurrle IMO, and if Rooney joins, that's not going to help at all.

Isn't Schurrle an AM

He should move to Everton :x

Thought he'd go to Valencia, but alas

Pre-Conte: Milan fans absolutely loved Juventini, on twitter and IRL. We were so harmless and cute.

Post-Conte: JUVE MERDA

(not all of them to be fair, I'm just exaggerating :p <3)

I speak for myself here, but I'm sure a lot of football fans can relate to this: it wasn't Conte that changed a lot of Milan fans mind about Juve and Juventini, it was the fact that you guys won a title finishing right above us after what happened with Muntari. Of course, Galliani and Allegri helped with that, shifting the supporters focus from the summer transfers to something that went wrong a few months back.

It's hard to find a team that wins and is liked by everybody.

Edit: I got over Muntari thing after a month or so. It was done and nobody could ever change what happened during that game, and I see Juventus fans the same way I see the other teams fans, as long as there's respect from both sides.

Fry

Would you take him back?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

No chance on Conte, for many many reasons.

I can see him going to Chelsea, City or United though.

I speak for myself here, but I'm sure a lot of football fans can relate to this: it wasn't Conte that changed a lot of Milan fans mind about Juve and Juventini, it was the fact that you guys won a title finishing right above us after what happened with Muntari. Of course, Galliani and Allegri helped with that, shifting the supporters focus from the summer transfers to something that went wrong a few months back.

It's hard to find a team that wins and is liked by everybody.

Edit: I got over Muntari thing after a month or so. It was done and nobody could ever change what happened during that game, and I see Juventus fans the same way I see the other teams fans, as long as there's respect from both sides.

Muntari's goal
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

I can't hate Milan, really, our hate to Inter unites us.

Feorax

Isn't Schurrle an AM

He should move to Everton :x

Thought he'd go to Valencia, but alas

I always thought he was a CF who could also play as a 10?

Would you take him back?

On loan at decent wages? Absolutely. If Sturridge get's injured (inevitable) or tired, we have no-one else who can do the traditional number 9 type stuff. Given Sturridge's injury record, he'd probably get plenty of game time.

Just seen this on twitter. Take two:

Wilbur

Banned
Right and as I said, the landscape could change dramatically by the time Wenger is out the door. Any of those things could happen (especially if Guardiola keeps playing Alaba at CB). Dismissing Arsenal's entire chances of securing a top manager is misguided I think.

We are one of the biggest in sports, look: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45edmjk/10-arsenal-4/ and the money is there if you look at our spreadsheets!

Edit: And I called you biased because you're running around saying Arsenal are a mid-table team. I always thought you more rational than that.

Running around saying they're mid-table :loooooooooooool. I said it once. In a post clearly taking the piss. Minutes after having said Wenger's brilliant and that's why they get fourth. Come on Salva.

And I'm clearly not rational. I'm plastic and hairless and I love David Moyers.

Spreadsheets count for fuck all. You're not spending money. You're not winning trophies. You're not in a position to take the best managers away from Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich. Would they be interested, after a few years in a job they're not succeeding in, or a few years out of work? Yeah, sure. But would they be interested purely because its Arsenal and they make a lot of money in Japan and they have a big stadium, or would they be interested if they could be guaranteed money to win trophies and to actually compete? It certainly wouldn't be the former.

A manager like Laudrup would step up immediately because the lure of a 'big' club is enough. But the current Arsenal could not attract one of the game's very best managers. They're not equipped to challenge for trophies, they're seemingly content to hang onto fourth every year. Why would born winners like Conte want to join if it just meant finishing fourth was an achievement and he'd be granted the bare minimum to do that?

anthonyOA

LOL @ the farce of a 2nd medical in a week.

His comment on instagram was milk curdling. I'd rather he'd express excitement rather than trying to insinuate joining Chelsea was some kind of life-long dream.

It's totally disingenuous.

Edit:

Laudrup would be a step up. With time and investment he'd do well at a place like Arsenal. Christ he just arrived and won a trophy under Wenger's nose with Swansea.

I honestly doubt the arsenal squad will shake the failure of losing such an easily obtainable trophy to Birmingham a couple years back. That was pitiful viewing.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
No one cares how much money you make if you don't spend it.

And what's the point of being part of 'the best league in the world' if you're never going to win it?

Wilbur

Banned
Hope Cardiff can get something out of this. I like Mackay. His name is dumb as fuck and he's another dour Scotsman, but he seems a good manager.

Arnie

Just found 8 BBQ chicken drumsticks reduced from £4 to £1.30 at Tesco. Currently sizzling away in't oven. Friend wants to see Partridge tonight so I'll be at the cinema two nights in a row. Not arsed, like. Love the cinema, and the Hackney Picturehouse near me is one of the best I've ever been to.

Gonna watch Spurs, think it'll be a better contest, even if City is an easier prospect on Sky Go.

And I wouldn't take Torres back. If Django gets injured Luis can lead the line, if Luis can't play (because he's bitten a fourth official) then I'd happily let Aspas have a go. Then if Aspas headbutts someone I'd stick fucking Borini there before I let Torres come back and fight for a world cup place. Stupid cunt.

Django's blessed by god, apparently.

iblTAWVrgyNfgJ.gif

Wilbur

Banned
Fuck me, why do all our rivals have managers I like now :lol

In the last year Rafa, Kenny, Mancini and Arry have all been extinguished like the cunts they are, and replaced by sexy Mou, suave Manuel, silly Brentan and sizzling hot AVB

Pls bring Rafa back Liverpool so I can hate you once more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom