• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballFan

Alba is good guys.

Abidal rarely went forward and was very solid at the back, Alba is the opposite nearly, having both Alba and Alves bombarding forward like wingers has shown it's weaknesses every time.

And attitude/personality wise it's a joke, Alba is a Pepe-level cunt and Abidal is the opposite.

I know, right? Vacation is only something Benfica players take when they face Chelsea.

9qA4t7j.gif

Suen

Alba is good guys.

Abidal rarely went forward and was very solid at the back, Alba is the opposite nearly, having both Alba and Alves bombarding forward like wingers has shown it's weaknesses every time.

And attitude/personality wise it's a joke, Alba is a Pepe-level cunt and Abidal is the opposite.
Pepe looks like a maniac though. Alba looks like this little cunt you want to punch in the face every day.

FootballFan

Pepe looks like a maniac though. Alba looks like this little cunt you want to punch in the face every day.

My point was if we had an Abidal for the right-back position then Alba would be free to run forward like he does and he would be overall much better for it.

Arnie

You're not sure about Soldado? I thought you said he was shit!
Aye, that was how I articulated it in the heat of the moment, but I meant that he's not a £30 million striker. He was in the corner and the ball sort of dribbled out of his control, but fortunately Ashley Williams just fucking decked him for no reason. I agree it was solid hold up play, but I don't see much ingenuity in him, or anything that's going to make the stadium stand up and roar.

Like, I'm sure he can nod it in at close range, or slot away a penalty kick, but I just haven't seen anything special from him.

I think they wanted £25 million for Benteke. Obviously he's started the season really well. Soldado has been isolated and hasn't had many chances to be honest. He needs to forge some sort of understanding with the players around him, and today showed that he desperately needs someone creative playing behind.
The thing with Benteke is teams have to go into a game with a plan to specifically stop him. He's got such incredible physical attributes, as well as everything else, that you can't just look to starve the supply like you can with Soldado. We've seen more than enough times that Benteke can pull a goal out of nothing, he can win a game on his own, and he can batter a defence singlehandedly. Given the two players are similar prices I think it would've been wiser to opt for the Belgian.

Obviously you're correct that Soldado has played about five games for Spurs, so it's a wee bit harsh for me to be writing him off so soon. I think he'll be an efficient goalscorer, but I've yet to see much top, top talent from him.

Another thing, Dembele does not work well with Paulinho and Capoue. I don't think he should be playing with those two because he's not a very good attacking midfielder. Those three players share too many of the same qualities for a midfield three, and if they don't understand their role then you just have them constantly coming short to get the ball off each other. Also, our attacking movement is really poor. Townsend in particular still has a lot to learn about how to use space effectively. You can't just stand out wide waiting to get the ball so you can run at people.
I agree with this. They're all quite brutish, and at times I wanted to see some ingenuity behind Soldado. It seemed like whenever Paulinho or Dembele would break free of their marker and have a few attacking lanes open up, they'd both just opt to shoot. That's where someone like VDV would do some damage laying up the likes of Soldado, and I think someone like Gylfi or Holtby is better suited to go along two traditional midfielders.

Salvadora

Especially when that money would've got a player like Benteke
I'm proper gutted we didn't go for him.

£20m+, early in the window with enough time to gel with the rest of the squad. He offers something completely different from Giroud and could easily propel us up the table, bagging a ton of goals in the process. Very young with lots of potential too. No getting involved in transfer sagas for unrealistic targets. I have a nightmare that Wenger thought he would hold Sanogo back.

No drama for fantastic player.

arkon

Yeah I hope my productivity will increase too. It might even lead to me spending more time on footyGAF which wouldnt be the worst thing, I just want to get that console wars bullshit out of my mind.

No time like the present. I don't go into the gaming side that much these days. I drop by every now and then just to keep up with some of the gaming news.

FootballFan

No time like the present. I don't go into the gaming side that much these days. I drop by every now and then just to keep up with some of the gaming news.

If some major gaming news happened it would be posted here. Only difference is less crazies in here. And less chance of getting banned for saying AssCreed looks like ass.

arkon

Only PS3/360 before launch, PC "soon after launch" - something to do with the demo being hacked last year and "licences we weren't supposed to reveal yet being discovered" - I don't understand how licences can't be announced so close to release anyway, but who knows.

Damn. Guess I can wait on it though.

edit:
If some major gaming news happened it would be posted here. Only difference is less crazies in here. And less chance of getting banned for saying AssCreed looks like ass.

Yeah. This too.

Listening to commentary on Real Madrid's pending transfer activity and it's quite gross the embarrassment of riches they have and how little they seem to achieve with it. Listening to this twat claim that Real Madrid need Gareth Bale and that they even need one more 50 million pound player in addition to him is insane.

Mike Keegan ‏@mikekeeganmen 13m
Embargoed release was just announcing season tickets had sold out at #mufc. 55,000 + 8,000 corporate.

Defo not signing anybody :(

Aye, that was how I articulated it in the heat of the moment, but I meant that he's not a £30 million striker. He was in the corner and the ball sort of dribbled out of his control, but fortunately Ashley Williams just fucking decked him for no reason. I agree it was solid hold up play, but I don't see much ingenuity in him, or anything that's going to make the stadium stand up and roar.

Like, I'm sure he can nod it in at close range, or slot away a penalty kick, but I just haven't seen anything special from him.

I think it's far too soon to be making a judgement on him and his record in Spain was very good, scoring some really good goals...so let's see how he does as the season goes on.

But assuming he does nothing but finish, if he scores 30 goals for Spurs, he'll be worth the money to them IMO.

@Arnie

I don't know where people got this idea that he can do everything. Maybe that's what you'd expect for £26 million, but he's not that player. He's got good movement and he's a very good finisher. But he's not going to dribble past 2-3 players

Slizz

I think it's far too soon to be making a judgement on him and his record in Spain was very good, scoring some really good goals...so let's see how he does as the season goes on.

But assuming he does nothing but finish, if he scores 30 goals for Spurs, he'll be worth the money to them IMO.

You truly think Spurs get awarded 30 penalties this year? ;)

Salvadora

Not sure if srs. I mean, is Begovic even an upgrade in any way or would we have splooged £10m up the wall
So it sounds like if Mancini had stayed, he would have brought in Begovic, Cavani, Navas + Fernandinho (?). Not sure on that last one.

I want to see a George Bush "miss me yet?" billboard shop for Mancini.

K1LLER7

Mike Keegan ‏@mikekeeganmen 13m
Embargoed release was just announcing season tickets had sold out at #mufc. 55,000 + 8,000 corporate.

Defo not signing anybody :(

The Ozil thing is probably being leaked by his camp so he can get his new contract. Don't see Perez selling him if he's one of P's favourite (?) players.

Koko

Banned
@Arnie

I don't know where people got this idea that he can do everything. Maybe that's what you'd expect for £26 million, but he's not that player. He's got good movement and he's a very good finisher. But he's not going to dribble past 2-3 players

This. Soldado is a real "9" striker as it gets.

The Ozil thing is probably being leaked by his camp so he can get his new contract. Don't see Perez selling him if he's one of P's favourite (?) players.

Probably.

But I'm not sure it's a new contract he's after. Either way, United were asked if they're interested and we said no, unless we change our stance on that over the next week...we're not involved.

fuenf

It's been 1,5h since I last visited the gaming side (or some German videogames) forum and I'm already feeling much better. Hopefully it'll last, I can't even explain why I'm still THIS passionate about videogames (forums), I mean why do I even give a damn about the opinion of someone on the gaming side... it's kinda crazy because I only buy triple A games and thus I don't even need ro read forums / reviews....

Arnie

Aye, I know I'm being hasty, it's just that Soldado was someone I was eagerly looking forward to watching, and it's his general ability as a footballer that's underwhelmed me somewhat.

He's extremely predatory, which works, but it's not the most aesthetically pleasing.
@Arnie

It's not that I expected him to be skinning defenders or rifling goals from 30 yards, but for the price you paid I really did expect a bit more 'wow' factor. Perhaps that's the way of the market nowadays, but, and I'm sorry to have to do this, if Sturridge was the £30 million man and Soldado was £12 million, I don't think anybody would question it.

K1LLER7

Probably.

But I'm not sure it's a new contract he's after. Either way, United were asked if they're interested and we said no, unless we change our stance on that over the next week...we're not involved.

He wants a pay rise to around £115,000 a week.

If United do buy him, big if, I could only see it happening if Rooney is leaving and he's the replacement. But seeing United have already rejected, Rooney probably stays.

Give us Fellani, Moyes :(

He wants a pay rise to around £115,000 a week.

If United do buy him, big if, I could only see it happening if Rooney is leaving and he's the replacement. But seeing United have already rejected, Rooney probably stays.

Give us Fellani, Moyes :(

Mate our window has just been a complete embarrassment.

Thought we ran a smooth ship, no idea what the suits have been been up this year.

Sold out the season tickets though, they're probably well chuffed with that.

Wilbur

Banned
I agree with everything you've said.

But Ozil is Wilbury's fav player. There'll be no stopping his fud.

Believe me

There is no fud to be had

I'll be sick to my stomach if we let Klopp steal Shinji in the cold of the night whil Ozil's putting in contact lenses the size of a dinner plate

Aye, I know I'm being hasty, it's just that Soldado was someone I was eagerly looking forward to watching, and it's his general ability as a footballer that's underwhelmed me somewhat.

He's extremely predatory, which works, but it's not the most aesthetically pleasing.

It's not that I expected him to be skinning defenders or rifling goals from 30 yards, but for the price you paid I really did expect a bit more 'wow' factor. Perhaps that's the way of the market nowadays, but, and I'm sorry to have to do this, if Sturridge was the £30 million man and Soldado was £12 million, I don't think anybody would question it.

He's played 4 games. Give it time. I know you love your £30 million, but it was £26 million. And I don't think he's worth quite that amount, but that's what we had to pay and sometimes you have to overpay to get the players you want.

This is what Pot 3 is shaping up as for the CL group stage draw at the moment.

Juventus
Zenit
city
Ajax
Dortmund
Basel
Olympiakos
Galatasaray

Christ, not sure I'd fancy any of those...apart from maybe Olympiakos.

This is the year we're gonna get a tough draw.

This is what Pot 3 is shaping up as for the CL group stage draw at the moment.

Juventus
Zenit
city
Ajax
Dortmund
Basel
Olympiakos
Galatasaray

Christ, not sure I'd fancy any of those...apart from maybe Olympiakos.

This is the year we're gonna get a tough draw.

god, i want City.

Arnie

He's played 4 games. Give it time. I know you love your £30 million, but it was £26 million. And I don't think he's worth quite that amount, but that's what we had to pay and sometimes you have to overpay to get the players you want.

Rounding Soldado up to £30 million, and Sturridge down to £10 million. Sturridge is three times the player that Soldado is. A third of the price, for three times the player, equals six times the deal.

i4QOQO1YEtnWZ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom