• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
So AVB rewarded Townsend's form. Just seen some short highlights and it seems like he played well once more.

Played well but he's utterly one note. Runs in a straight line onto his left and then shoots. Good back up to have but Soldado would get infinitely more service with Lennon and Lamela. Chadli's a tidy little player and I think will be really good when he gets to grips with the game, but Townsend has a lot to learn both on and off the ball.

Rounding Soldado up to £30 million, and Sturridge down to £10 million. Sturridge is three times the player that Soldado is. A third of the price, for three times the player, equals six times the deal.

Sturridge 3 times the player Soldado is?

6X0K5jH.gif

Believe me

There is no fud to be had

I'll be sick to my stomach if we let Klopp steal Shinji in the cold of the night whil Ozil's putting in contact lenses the size of a dinner plate

They have Mkhi. If he pans out, there will be no need to get Shinji. Believe in the Mkhi.

As for Shinji, he's never going to reach his best if he doesn't get a continuous amount of starts in his best position. The same could be said of Nani and Rooney. Rooney is at his best playing as the main striker week in week out. That's when he scored 30+ goals. He won't get that here with RVP and that's why he should leave (just not to Chelsea). Nani is at his best as a right winger, but has to play on the left to make room for Valencia. Nani will never reach the heights he set in 2011 where he played as right winger.

It's stupid to expect someone to prove his worth in another position.

Salvadora

Out of that list, I'd want to avoid Juventus, Dortmund and maybe City.

We've played Olympiakos so many times we could write the handbook.

Walshy

Apparently Victor Moses is close to joining us on loan.

On top of that we are going for another attacking midfielder and a center back before the window shuts.

Clegg

Mate our window has just been a complete embarrassment.

Thought we ran a smooth ship, no idea what the suits have been been up this year.

Sold out the season tickets though, they're probably well chuffed with that.

We ran a tight ship under Gill and Fergie. But we've had a regime change. Woodward is a complete novice and Moyes is swimming with the big boys now. He must've thought he could sign anyone when he became United. He's now been given a bit of a rude awakening. His comments about Fellaini and Baines were misguided in the extreme.

We'll sign someone because now we have to. A transfer window with no signings will be seen a unforgiveable by the fans.

Rounding Soldado up to £30 million, and Sturridge down to £10 million. Sturridge is three times the player that Soldado is. A third of the price, for three times the player, equals six times the deal.

i4QOQO1YEtnWZ.gif

Not going to get drawn into this. Doesn't bother me if you don't like us. All it shows is how far you've fallen.

And I embarrassed you enough when you went on your financial comparison crusade.

Edit: you also don't know what 3 x 3 is!

K1LLER7

Mate our window has just been a complete embarrassment.

Thought we ran a smooth ship, no idea what the suits have been been up this year.

Sold out the season tickets though, they're probably well chuffed with that.
Nobodies seen or heard a word from Woodward since his "urgent business". Probably tanning somewhere on the Glazers Yacht.

Micky Phelan seems to like talking to the media about how United deal with transfers. Surprised he worked that out, because he did fuck all as Fergie's assistant.

Then we publicise how much money we've got and make questionable and laughable bids.

But it's okay......we signed the next best RB in the world!!!!

Loooool Mourinho says it's Moyes' fault that Rooney is unhappy.

Mou plz, just cos he got the job you wanted, don't be mad.
Mou running out of tricks.

Give us Mata and you can have him. Otherwise, jog on and sign mercenary Eto'o.

L1NETT

Moses would be a good signing imo.

Good player, shame he fell into the money trap and went for the oil money instead of furthering his career.

Can see Sinclair moving on soon as well.

Arnie

On top of that we are going for another attacking midfielder and a center back before the window shuts.
Jesus fuck.

Like, he's a functional winger, but fucking why? Can't we just play Ibe and fiddle our balls.
And I embarrassed you enough when you went on your financial comparison crusade.

:loooollll

When you went loopy this morning and invented your own argument? That still baffles me, you thought I was saying that we didn't have money to spend, or that you somehow shouldn't be spending the money that you are. I said neither, you just lost the plot.

So the embarrassment's on the other foot.

If Sturridge is 3 times cheaper and 3 times the player, it's 9 times the deal.

You've undersold yourself there Arnie!
That's not how the transfer multiplier works, Viv.

And I wouldn't want to be disingenuous.

Nobodies seen or heard a word from Woodward since his "urgent business". Probably tanning somewhere on the Glazers Yacht.

Micky Phelan seems to like talking to the media about how United deal with transfers. Surprised he worked that out, because he did fuck all as Fergie's assistant.

Then we publicise how much money we've got and make questionable and laughable bids.

But it's okay......we signed the next best RB in the world!!!!

Mou running out of tricks.

Give us Mata and you can have him. Otherwise, jog on and sign mercenary Eto'o.

I don't want a Mata for Rooney swap.

1. They're stacked with attacking midfielders. Mata is the best one, but stacked they are.
2. Having Rooney improves Chelsea in a position they need strengthening.
3. Mata doesn't strengthen us in a position that needs strengthening.

Rooney should be replaced regardless of anything else. The thing is, I don't have faith in them buying a cm. If we already had a CM, I wouldn't hesitate to do it as both teams would be stronger, but I would have more faith in United to win due to stronger cms.

Salvadora

I thought what he had to say about Woodward was very interesting:
‘Ed Woodward has previously been on the commercial side and concentrating on bringing money into the club rather than spending it. It is a totally different outlook.
'He will learn that. He may be frightened by a few prices every now and again but he will have to pick that up, because you are dealing with high quality football players.
‘I think that was a cheeky bid. It was never going to get off the ground.
'He and the club have gone on record to say that money is available. That’s great, but then every price goes up a peg or two as well.'
Stuff we could have assumed, but it was interesting to hear from SAF's former right hand man.

Wilbur

Banned
On Soldado, Michael Cox wrote a nice article a few weeks back where he talked about Spurs on the counter attack and crosses coming into Soldado. He being so predatory of course would thrive off this game plan.

At the moment though, with no Lamela and no Bale, Spurs have six exceptionally gifted centre midfielders and are playing the three best of them that happen to be fully fit - those being Capoue, Dembele and Paulinho. And as impressive as Capoue looked today, as impressive as Paulinho looked at the Confed Cup and as entranced by Dembele's close control I find myself being, Bungie's completely right when he says it's too similar a midfield and Arnold's right when he says Gylfi is needed.

AVB's Shinji-ing him right now on the wing so there's no one getting the ball forward. From what I've seen, Dembele keeps the play ticking in all directions but uses the wings primarily as his outlets, Capoue breaks play up and then gifts it to someone better on the ball than him and Paulinho bombs forward but into space as opposed to with the ball. Bringing in Sigurdsson centrally would help with getting the ball through the defenders to Soldado who is preying on that last man, and then when Lennon's back and offers genuine width as opposed to Townsend who plays like he's been watching Robben on repeat YouTube videos for three consecutive weekends, I can see Spurs being far more dangerous.

This is what Pot 3 is shaping up as for the CL group stage draw at the moment.

Juventus
Zenit
city
Ajax
Dortmund
Basel
Olympiakos
Galatasaray

Christ, not sure I'd fancy any of those...apart from maybe Olympiakos.

This is the year we're gonna get a tough draw.

Wouldn't be surprised if we're out by Christmas :lol

Juventus and Atletico, believe it. Fergie isn't around to suck dick anymore.

LTWheels

Moses is quality. I've seen him play as a schoolboy multiple times. Whenever his school played ours everyone would come out and watch. He was hands down heads and shoulders above everyone on the pitch. Would demolish our team single handily.

Arnie

Moses is quality. I've seen him play as a schoolboy multiple times. Whenever his school played ours everyone would come out and watch. He was hands down heads and shoulders above everyone on the pitch. Would demolish our team single handily.

Jay Spearing was the best player at his school you fruit.

Means naff all.

I was fucking good in year 4.

It's Victor Moses. Let Everton have him.

Walshy

Jesus fuck.
Like, he's a functional winger, but fucking why? Can't we just play Ibe and fiddle our balls.
Downing has left and Assaidi is leaving. Would you really want Sterling and Ibe to be our only natural wingers?

Moses gives us another option. If we can get him in as well as another attacking midfielder (Yarmolenko, Eriksen, Muriel etc) and another center half (Sahko, Ilori or Papa) we could really have a good season. We would have really good squad depth and options off the bench.

I would love another defensive midfielder but I think Rodgers sees Allen as suitable cover for that position. We really are not that far off Arsenal/Spurs.

Hieberrr

Just thinking ahead -- I'm planning on joining an outdoors league that plays on artificial grass fields and I'm not sure what type of shoes to buy. Should I be buying Firm Ground boots (to use for both artificial grass and actual grass) or should I just stick to Artificial Grass boots?

Field I'll be playing on:

I'd like to have a pair for grass fields too. Trying to kill two birds with one stone.

Slizz

Just thinking ahead -- I'm planning on joining an outdoors league that plays on artificial grass fields and I'm not sure what type of shoes to buy. Should I be buying Firm Ground boots (to use for both artificial grass and actual grass) or should I just stick to Artificial Grass boots?

Pull them socks up high, your skin will get eaten up by that pitch. I'd also just stick to the ground boots.

Arnie

Downing has left and Assaidi is leaving. Would you really want Sterling and Ibe to be our only natural wingers?

Moses gives us another option. If we can get him in as well as another attacking midfielder (Yarmolenko, Eriksen, Muriel etc) and another center half (Sahko, Ilori or Papa) we could really have a good season. We would have really good squad depth and options off the bench.

I would love another defensive midfielder but I think Rodgers sees Allen as suitable cover for that position. We really are not that far off Arsenal/Spurs.

I agree we need a winger but I don't want Victor Moses.

I can't even articulate why, I just don't want him. Like, I just googled him, stared at his face for a couple of minutes, and thought 'no'. He's not the answer, and I can't be fucked dealing with a stop gap. Can we just buy this Russian fella for big bucks and be done with it?

Either that or rely on Sterling a bit more. I think he needs to have an increase in minutes over last season as a natural progression, but right now, and especially with Moses coming in, I can't see that happening.

Showaddy

too similar a midfield and Arnold's right when he says Gylfi is needed.

AVB's Shinji-ing him right now on the wing so there's no one getting the ball forward. From what I've seen, Dembele keeps the play ticking in all directions but uses the wings primarily as his outlets, Capoue breaks play up and then gifts it to someone better on the ball than him and Paulinho bombs forward but into space as opposed to with the ball. Bringing in Sigurdsson centrally would help with getting the ball through the defenders to Soldado who is preying on that last man, and then when Lennon's back and offers genuine width as opposed to Townsend who plays like he's been watching Robben on repeat YouTube videos for three consecutive weekends, I can see Spurs being far more dangerous.

Sigurdsson's been the worst player in our team for the last 3 games and is rightfully on the bench, he isn't the answer to anything.

Frankly the only reason he's going to stay at Spur's this season is because he's one of their 9 home-grown players and they can't sell him if they plan to sell Bale as well.

Field I'll be playing on:
. I'd like to have a pair for grass fields too. Trying to kill two birds with one stone.

Depends what type of artificial turf it is, lots of different kinds.

Most likely you don't need studs though, moulds or astro turfs should do the job. But if it is a high quality artificial turf studs should still be fine.

Wilbur

Banned
Sigurdsson's been the worst player in our team for the last 3 games and is rightfully on the bench, he isn't the answer to anything.

Frankly the only reason he's going to stay at Spur's this season is because he's one of their 9 home-grown players and they can't sell him if they plan to sell Bale as well.

He's been playing out wide and then coming into an already crowded central area, leaving you with no width on the left and too little space in the centre. Not his fault, really.

Walshy

I agree we need a winger but I don't want Victor Moses.

I can't even articulate why, I just don't want him. Like, I just googled him, stared at his face for a couple of minutes, and thought 'no'. He's not the answer, and I can't be fucked dealing with a stop gap. Can we just buy this Russian fella for big bucks and be done with it?

Either that or rely on Sterling a bit more. I think he needs to have an increase in minutes over last season as a natural progression, but right now, and especially with Moses coming in, I can't see that happening.
Disagree. Moses is great when on form and could be a match winner for the lesser sides.

Don't think Sterling would lose any minutes if we brought him in. We aren't in Europe but I expect us to do well in the cup competitions this year, we are going to need a big squad.

Totally agree on his face though, fucking hell :lol.

Clegg

Chelsea tomorrow.

Would've been more confident if we'd reinforced the team like we should have done by now. But as it stands I think we have a great chance of winning. As always Mata will cause the most problems for us so we'll probably have to man mark him. That would usually mean playing Jones as a midfielder but Rafael is injured. We might get Smalling or Fabio to cover RB and move Jones to midfield. Not an ideal situation but needs must.

I'd start Valencia too. He was decent against Swansea and Chelsea have strugled in the past when we've played with width against them. Wouldn't start Rooney either. Welbeck has done enough to get a start tomorrow. Kagawa would be my preferred option to play on the left by he's had no real pre-season and I'm just not sure if he's trusted to perform yet.

Victor Moses.

Man, that's an underwhelming signing isn't it.

Seems to be a decent player, long term he can't be anything more than an "option" for Liverpool if they wanna break into the top 4. Although he is only 22 and wasted a year at Chelsea IMO.

Edit - He scored 10 goals last season, bloody hell, done well there lol.

Hieberrr

Depends what type of artificial turf it is, lots of different kinds.

Most likely you don't need studs though, moulds or astro turfs should do the job. But if it is a high quality artificial turf studs should still be fine.
This seems to be what the turf looks like:

I'd imagine that it's not too high quality (I've never been on artificial turf, so I'm not entirely sure).

EDIT: http://dolturf.com/about.php

Hmm.. I'm so damn confused LMFAO

:loooollll

When you went loopy this morning and invented your own argument? That still baffles me, you thought I was saying that we didn't have money to spend, or that you somehow shouldn't be spending the money that you are. I said neither, you just lost the plot.

So the embarrassment's on the other foot.

Never said either of those things. You were doing a really poor financial comparison, that's what I was saying.

For fucks sake you've got to stop calling us Spur's. Please. It's killing me.

Hixx

Amazing. Despite the police basically dismissing the hotel 'fracas' that occurred on saturday, The Sun has it as the headline on their front page tomorrow. Astonishing.

Wilbur

Banned
I think I'd expect the two line ups tomorrow to be:

De Gea; Jones, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra; Valencia, Cleverley, Carrick, Welbeck; Rooney, van Persie

Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Cole; Mikel, Lampard; De Bruyne, Oscar, Hazard; Lukaku

Thankfully Chelsea's centre midfielders aren't amazing either but you'd expect Rooney (or Welbeck if Kagawa does play on the left) to drop back and give us an extra man in midfield without the ball. Would like to see Fabio and Anderson start but it won't happen.

I think Chelsea will get an early goal, we'll settle and equalise around the hour mark and then the game will either peter out or Chelsea get the winner. Can't see us getting the three points, unfortunately.

Showaddy

He's been playing out wide and then coming into an already crowded central area, leaving you with no width on the left and too little space in the centre. Not his fault, really.

He was played in the centre behind Soldado against Palace and he was absolute shite, seriously. Utterly anonymous. Then he was put on the wing against Tbilisi and he was still anonymous against the Georgians who defended like a pub-team.

He was on the bench today and when he came on for Dembele Swansea finally got a hold of the midfield and threatened for the first time in the match. He was also anonymous in attack, again.

Walshy

Victor Moses.

Seems to be a decent player, long term he can't be anything more than an "option" for Liverpool if they wanna break into the top 4. Although he is only 22 and wasted a year at Chelsea IMO.
If he takes Downing/Assaidi's role within the squad I can't complain. He could win us matches against the lesser sides within the league if not certainly make an impact either starting or on the bench. I think Rodgers would get the best out of him aswell, he did well with Dyer and Sinclair at Swansea, and Moses is in a similar mold.

The local paper was saying that he wanted a replacement for Downing aswell as another attacking midfielder. It's going to be a busy last couple of days for most clubs.

Chelsea tomorrow.

Would've been more confident if we'd reinforced the team like we should have done by now. But as it stands I think we have a great chance of winning. As always Mata will cause the most problems for us so we'll probably have to man mark him. That would usually mean playing Jones as a midfielder but Rafael is injured. We might get Smalling or Fabio to cover RB and move Jones to midfield. Not an ideal situation but needs must.

I'd start Valencia too. He was decent against Swansea and Chelsea have strugled in the past when we've played with width against them. Wouldn't start Rooney either. Welbeck has done enough to get a start tomorrow. Kagawa would be my preferred option to play on the left by he's had no real pre-season and I'm just not sure if he's trusted to perform yet.
Not sure we can man mark tmrw cos Mata will probably be coming off the RW and he's gonna be switching with Oscar/Hazard anyway.

I just want us to go for it, we're at home, will be so depressing seeing us trying to defend and counter or something...gonna miss it most likely anyways, gonna be stuck with BBC Live Text :(

This seems to be what the turf looks like:

I'd imagine that it's not too high quality (I've never been on artificial turf, so I'm not entirely sure).
Hmm, it looks good to me, stadium too so would have thought it's a good pitch. Either way I think astro turfs are the safest bet and you could use them for other stuff too...any chance of you going down there one day and seeing what it's like?

Arnie

Never said either of those things. You were doing a really poor financial comparison, that's what I was saying.

No I wasn't. I was pointing out to someone else that we can't be expected to keep up with Spurs when they've vastly outspent us after already being 11 points superior. That's the fact of the matter, isn't it?

You just got all rambly about how we also tried to spend money, which I don't dispute, and how Bale paid for your recent expenditure, which I also do not dispute. You got defensive because I said you had a better squad than us. So, yea, baffled.
Victor Moses.

Indeed.

It's like chasing Thiago and signing Fellaini. Like, it's an improvement but it's not what I want.

Hieberrr

Hmm, it looks good to me, stadium too so would have thought it's a good pitch. Either way I think astro turfs are the safest bet and you could use them for other stuff too...any chance of you going down there one day and seeing what it's like?

Yeah, I should probably head down there to check it out for myself sometime next week.

It's been 1,5h since I last visited the gaming side (or some German videogames) forum and I'm already feeling much better. Hopefully it'll last, I can't even explain why I'm still THIS passionate about videogames (forums), I mean why do I even give a damn about the opinion of someone on the gaming side... it's kinda crazy because I only buy triple A games and thus I don't even need ro read forums / reviews....

Don't cut everything at once. I stopped reading this thread and some German forum a few months ago and was like "What the fuck will I do now, I'm bored as hell" lol

Salvadora

I think Chelsea will get an early goal, we'll settle and equalise around the hour mark and then the game will either peter out or Chelsea get the winner. Can't see us getting the three points, unfortunately.
I'd rate your chance quite highly.

You've got Van Persie who is capable of creating something out of absolutely nothing, and a slightly dodgy Chelsea defence. I'm not entirely convinced of Mourinho's side yet. But yeah, you'll probably be on the back foot most of the match.

Clegg

Not sure we can man mark tmrw cos Mata will probably be coming off the RW and he's gonna be switching with Oscar/Hazard anyway.

I just want us to go for it, we're at home, will be so depressing seeing us trying to defend and counter or something...gonna miss it most likely anyways, gonna be stuck with BBC Live Text :(
I know I keep banging on about it but a lot of our problems would have been solved if we'd brought in a decent midfielder to partner Carrick.

I'd like to see us go for it too but Moyes is under a lot of pressure. He won't want to lose his first home game especially since it's such a big one too. I'd like to see is Play Carrick and Ando at CM and have Shinji playing in front of them. Welbeck and Ando out wide with RVP up front. Can't see us going for that though. Moyes will probs want to keep it tight.

And I wish Hernandez was fit. He's our sure fire tactic against Chelsea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom