• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

panty

ixGoGneUtbjdu.png

Arnie

Thinking about that some more, I kind of think United should really be winning that. Chelsea were woeful, as bad as you're likely to see them this season, disjointed in most of the pitch.

This is United at home, against frankly shit opposition that rarely posed a threat, and they had enough control of the ball in their half of the field. It's also the sort of game that I'm so used to seeing United go on to win, through some late miracle or killer pass.

By the time the reverse fixture rolls around I expect Chelsea to be far more formidable, and not just because they're playing at home. United might rue their lack of a killer instinct here when that happens.

A draw at home is never really a good result when you're United, especially against such muddled opposition.

How did Cleverley play today guys?
Really well, I thought.

Did enough, anyway.

Lightning

Banned
Don't want Ozil. Would rather us wait 12mths hoping for Fabregas to have a horror year at Barca again playing in stupid positions since he's much better than Ozil then he will be more willing to leave.

Wilbur

Banned
How did Cleverley play today guys?

Decent. Didn't offer much going forward but he and Carrick were solid and Cleverley especially I can't remember giving the ball away, might have once or twice but nothing dangerous.

Honestly its quite hard to glean anything from the match because I didn't expect Chelsea to be as negative as they were. Don't know if we suppressed them, if we were ultimately very poor as well, or how we would have done had they raised the tempo.

Thinking about that some more, I kind of think United should really be winning that. Chelsea were woeful, as bad as you're likely to see them this season, disjointed in most of the pitch.

This is United at home, against frankly shit opposition that rarely posed a threat, and you had enough control of the ball in their half of the field. It's also the sort of game that I'm so used to seeing United go on to win, through some late miracle or killer pass.

By the time the reverse fixture rolls around I expect Chelsea to be far more formidable, and not just because they're playing at home. United might rue their lack of a killer instinct here when that happens.

A draw at home is never really a good result when you're United, especially against such muddled opposition.

Really well, I thought.

Did enough, anyway.
Cheers. Good for Tom.

Your view of the game seems to be what most people are thinking. Disappointed to hear that. I can see why Moyes would have been reserved in this fixture but he really needs to start going for it soon, it isn't something that comes naturally to him anyway, IMO.

Just seen Mourinho didn't even play a striker, bloody hell haha.

Slizz

Didn't really do much in my eyes, a passenger for most of the match. I could argue he didn't do anything wrong but he didn't do anything positive either.
I felt like in the 2nd half he tracked back well and played good D, almost got a penalty shout.

Wilbur

Banned

This is United at home, against frankly shit opposition that rarely posed a threat, and they had enough control of the ball in their half of the field. It's also the sort of game that I'm so used to seeing United go on to win, through some late miracle or killer pass.

I think I'd have been far more disappointed with the result if it was under Ferguson, and irrespective of what some people will say (faridchan you FUCK), I don't think that performance was very different to what we would have seen under Ferguson.

As it stands, Moyes didn't get beat by Mourinho, his side put in a better performance than Mourinho's, and his choice of Rooney was somewhat justified. Whether it pays off over the course of the season, I don't know. But I'm content enough, although I agree with you that the longer the game went on the more we should have pushed for the win because they were there for the taking a bit.

Welbeck should have done much better with his chance, and I'm very confused at the ref giving the handball against Oscar but not Lampard. Should be both or neither.

Slizz

I think I'd have been far more disappointed with the result if it was under Ferguson, and irrespective of what some people will say (faridchan you FUCK), I don't think that performance was very different to what we would have seen under Ferguson.

As it stands, Moyes didn't get beat by Mourinho, his side put in a better performance than Mourinho's, and his choice of Rooney was somewhat justified. Whether it pays off over the course of the season, I don't know. But I'm content enough, although I agree with you that the longer the game went on the more we should have pushed for the win because they were there for the taking a bit.

Welbeck should have done much better with his chance, and I'm very confused at the ref giving the handball against Oscar but not Lampard. Should be both or neither.
He had no view on the Oscar handball. Proximity of Lampard to Clev on the shot is probably why it wasn't given.

kharma45

Welbeck was pretty poor going forward tonight. Wasteful with his shooting and couldn't hold on to the ball when needed. No great surprise when he was hauled off.

Wilbur

Banned
He had no view on the Oscar handball. Proximity of Lampard to Clev on the shot is probably why it wasn't given.

Yeah I mean, I understand why it wasn't given and I agree, but its just odd that no precedent seems to be in place for calls like that. Lampard's arm was outstretched and blocked a path to goal. Do I think it was a penalty? No, but when you recall games like Liverpool - City in the cup when Richards gave away a penalty with his arm raised, you wonder where the consistency is in situations like that.

K1LLER7

Viva our wingers sucked going fowards.

Welbeck is ineffective on the wings. Valencia still poor.

We looked better with Young, but as a team that relies heavily on good crosses, I can only pick out 4/5 good crosses throughout the whole game. That's really bad.

Suprised we had more possession, thought Chelsea would dominate, but Rooney played a worldie in terms of getting forward and back. Stopped Lampard and Ramires from being effective.

Was the stand out player on the pitch imo. Shame he and RVP didn't link up much.

DominoKid

This is where I'm at. Very frustrating game.

Arnie

I think United played like United, just lacking that killer ball. Certainly there wasn't this great shift from how United had played under Ferguson, to how they're now playing under Moyes. Although things like substitutions, and how players are managed over the long term could have an effect.

On the flip side there has been a huge shift at Chelsea, and not for the better. Schurlle was an experiment, and it failed. Indeed they just don't have the quality in central midfield to play the sort of passes in behind that Chelsea needed, and Mourinho was naive in that respect. He doesn't have Xabi Alonso anymore, he's got Lampard and Ramires, both of which aren't known for their exceptional playmaking skills.

And it's funny to see the reactions to this Chelsea setup and performance. Benitez lines up without a recognised striker and tells a team to play like that and he'd have a swathe of blue telling him to leave the club, Fady included.

Best

Just got in the from the game.

Chelsea parked the bus and United just lacked the final ball (crossing from Valencia and Jones was woeful especially) to create more than a couple of half chances. Maybe if we had shot more often from the edge of their box instead of always trying to work it wide we'd have been better off.

Important to remember Mourinho's set defences up to frustrate even Barcelona, so while United will be disappointed to not have won considering Chelsea did fuck all, it happens to everyone at times.

Chelsea played without a recognised striker for most of the game, so the fact that our defence wasn't really tested, may not be a surprise. However I thought we broke up their play in midfield pretty well and looked dominant vs a still very capable attacking force.

Link up between Rooney and RVP was poor I thought, not sure what others think of that. Although Rooney looked the best player on the pitch by a country mile.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah RVP and Rooney don't seem to have that strong an understanding, whereas RVP/Welbeck and RVP/Giggs has looked pretty good. There was that Villa goal which still makes me have wet dreams, but I dunno there was a few moments tonight when the pass was there and neither team made it.

Where's my Django/Coutz level partnership ;_;

Bloody hell, what a complete and utter anti climax. "Highlights" were...yeah.

Shameful stuff for the greatest league in the world.

Fear not though, EPL is bouncing back, Super Sunday is gonna be boss.

Yeah I mean, I understand why it wasn't given and I agree, but its just odd that no precedent seems to be in place for calls like that. Lampard's arm was outstretched and blocked a path to goal. Do I think it was a penalty? No, but when you recall games like Liverpool - City in the cup when Richards gave away a penalty with his arm raised, you wonder where the consistency is in situations like that.
I thought the referee was a bit inconsistent with his calls. Valencia catching Oscar right on the ankle with a very late tackle gets a warning whilst KDB picks up a yellow for the RvP incident. I agree about the handballs too, both or none. But that seems to be most referees at the moment. I doubt many could explain half the things they do.

K1LLER7

Really well, I thought.

Did enough, anyway.

Before the game I would've been happy with a draw, but after the game, dissapointed we didn't win.

Get a Midfielder in and an effective winger/AM, and I'd be positive on our chances of winning it again this year.

Wilbur

Banned
I thought the referee was a bit inconsistent with his calls. Valencia catching Oscar right on the ankle with a very late tackle gets a warning whilst KDB picks up a yellow for the RvP incident. I agree about the handballs too, both or none. But that seems to be most referees at the moment. I doubt many could explain half the things they do.

Yeah that Valencia tackle was fucking awful, should have got a yellow for that.

There is no consistency at all, same with how sometimes a player gets a warning for the first bookable offence, sometimes they don't.

'twas a shit game but I'm happy with the point.

Arnie

Another couple of points:

Valencia's defensive work is exceptional. Shame he's got the mental disposition of a dog on bonfire night.

Schurrle is not a striker, nor is he an effective substitute for one. Hazard looks lost without Mata. Ramires is crap as a deep midfielder.

Wilbur

Banned

Valencia's defensive work is exceptional. Shame he's got the mental disposition of a dog on bonfire night.

Schurrle is not a striker, nor is he an effective substitute for one. Hazard looks lost without Mata. Ramires is crap as a deep midfielder.

:lol fuck that was great

His defensive work and Jenkinson's crossing = best winger in the game

Wilbur

Banned
Longer the game went on the more Rooney stayed up top in a 4-4-2, and then Giggs came on and the formation went weird again

TrueBlue

I feel we really need someone in the ilk of Makelele to cover our back four, with a good playmaker option playing just behind the front three. Rambo and Lamps can do just fine in certain games, but they lack the incisive passing that is sometimes needed against the better teams.

Schürrle can play as striker quite well, he showed that at Mainz. But his play doesn't work for a club like Chelsea. Back then it was basically Mainz defending extremely deep in their own half, winning the ball and getting Schürrle running.

K1LLER7

Killer were signing Fellaini and that's it.

Did Rooney play #10? Was it 433 again?
A 4-5-1, but Rooney would drop very deep at times to make it a 4-3-3. Similar to how we played last season.

Was brilliant today. If he played like that more often, I would hate to see him leave. Shame he doesn't play that well when he can't be arsed. Thankfully he's started the season pretty well this time around and now it looks like he's staying.

:lol

He does buffer a bit too much.

Best

No fucking idea why Mourinho didn't play Lukaku in this game. He's a better striker than Schurrle and if there is one situation where you want a tank up front, it's when you are parking the bus. He must really hate him.

Wilbur

Banned
No fucking idea why Mourinho didn't play Lukaku in this game. He's a better striker than Schurrle and if there is one situation where you want a tank up front, it's when you are parking the bus. He must really hate him.

Careful, Wooden will have your fucking bollocks

Wilbur

Banned
Been galling as fuck reading all the articles saying Pogba was the stand out for Juventus

ferg

you dun goofed

you fucking cunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom