• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Download ES File Explorer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

Go agains to the ringtone screen and choose to go through the explorer app instead of "sound picker"

Choose the ringtone that you have in your phone's folder and that should do it.

You have to create a folder titled "ringtones" and dump the mp3's into it. They'll then show up under settings, select ringtone. At least that's how it works for me.

Cheers guys :)

Have a Sturridge dance for a reward

sturridge-dance.gif

John Cross ‏@johncrossmirror 38m
Wenger surprisingly candid when I asked him about Mata. Thinks he's on the market, admits he likes him but fears Chelsea won't sell to rival.

No chance of Arsenal signing him but still interesting that Wenger thinks he could be available.

Salvadora

Wenger thinking Mata is available is certainly interesting. I believe it's the first solid indication that Mourinho does indeed want him gone.
John Cross ‏@johncrossmirror 3m
And here's Wenger on Mata. Was his father a guest of Arsenal? Wenger: "No. I don't know. Maybe." Naive to dismiss it.
Stop talking in riddles.
We made up the numbers last year too.

We went out in the 2nd round. Doesn't matter if it was a close game vs Real Madrid who ended up getting well beaten themselves. We weren't close to winning it. Arsenal haven't been close to winning the CL for ages, nobody backs them to win it or get far...because they don't have the team for it.

That's making up the numbers. You can play a game with honour and dignity against Barca and Bayern but if you still end up losing time and time again, you're not competing.

The league is a different format...but again, Arsenal are making up the numbers. They're not in contention. The last time you even got close was 2008 and even that year you finished 3rd.

Liverpool fans taking the piss out of Arsenal may well be a case of throwing stones from glass houses...but they're right when they say Arsenal are making up the numbers in the top competitions.
We are going to have to agree to disagree then.

I think there is a serious distinction to be made between the league and cup competitions. The structural differences are such that, in my opinion, 'only if you're in contention to win it' - to a degree, is rendered mute.

Wilbur

Banned
We are going to have to agree to disagree then.

I think there is a serious distinction to be made between the league and cup competitions. The structural differences are such that, in my opinion, 'only if you're in contention to win it' - to a degree, is rendered mute.

I do think there's a difference between 'cups' and the Champions League, though. For instance at the start of the season, in theory Bradford aren't in contention for the league cup and they're just making up the numbers. Wigan are just making up the numbers in the FA Cup. But no one really says that because there's always giant killing, weakened sides, tough away games at 3000 seater stadiums where you can feel a Plymouth fan's balls on your neck as you take a corner.

There just isn't a chance that - unlike the FA Cup - Bayern Munich go into the knockout round of the Champions League playing a second team and being complacent from the get go. There was their defeat to you last year, correct. But that was after an absolutely assured away performance and they naively let complacency creep into their game. After that, they fucked Barcelona into the void that they became mes que un club and became a walking advertisement for the horrors of being anally penetrated by a bunch of highly motivated Bavarians and a Dutchman with progeria.

Scum

John Cross ‏@johncrossmirror 38m
Wenger surprisingly candid when I asked him about Mata. Thinks he's on the market, admits he likes him but fears Chelsea won't sell to rival.

No chance of Arsenal signing him but still interesting that Wenger thinks he could be available.

Wenger wouldn't be going through this crap if he'd bought him when he had the chance to.

Mou has said numerous times that he wants to keep Mata. He even said so after the match yesterday.

So he's for sale, then?

If Mata does leave, why isn't Mou keeping him????

Obviously, I'd be absolutely delighted if he came to Arsenal, think he's a top player, but why would he leave Chelsea?

I don't get it.

Salvadora

I do think there's a difference between 'cups' and the Champions League, though. For instance at the start of the season, in theory Bradford aren't in contention for the league cup and they're just making up the numbers. Wigan are just making up the numbers in the FA Cup. But no one really says that because there's always giant killing, weakened sides, tough away games at 3000 seater stadiums where you can feel a Plymouth fan's balls on your neck as you take a corner.

There just isn't a chance that - unlike the FA Cup - Bayern Munich go into the knockout round of the Champions League playing a second team and being complacent from the get go. There was their defeat to you last year, correct. But that was after an absolutely assured away performance and they naively let complacency creep into their game. After that, they fucked Barcelona into the void that they became mes que un club and became a walking advertisement for the horrors of being anally penetrated by a bunch of highly motivated Bavarians and a Dutchman with progeria.
Yeah I don't think you're wrong and you definitely have a point, but I feel the whole cut and dry aspect of "you're only making up the numbers if you're not in contention to win it" a bit unsatisfying. What qualifies as contention to win it for example, the semi or quarterfinals? Or anything past the last 16?

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah I don't think you're wrong and you definitely have a point, but I feel the whole cut and dry aspect of "you're only making up the numbers if you're not in contention to win it" a bit unsatisfying. What qualifies as contention to win it for example, the semi or quarterfinals? Or anything past the last 16?

Well it depends what. If you make the final you definitely have a chance, but the nature of the two legged tie and the absolute desire in many of Europe's top sides to gun for the Champions League make it a little harder to define.

Say... Basel make the quarter finals this year. Are they in with a chance of making the semis? Sure. Are they in with a chance of then making the final? Sure. Are they then in with a chance of winning? Sure. But because it isn't a one off result where anything could happen and a tad more strategy and 'league' formatting goes into it (albeit only one more game), I'd think that they were solely making up the numbers in the final eight. Of course it all depends on the draw they got in the group stage, if they were put with Barca and Juventus and City and still topped the group. And then if they got Bayern in the second round and knocked them out, you'd be talking about them as serious title contenders.

But Galatasaray got to the quarters against Madrid last year and they were - and I intend no disrespect to them because they have a talented squad and in a one off game in Turkey framed like a FA Cup tie, could have won - really just an obstacle for Real Madrid to pass before the Dortmund tie. Or APOEL Nicosia, who made it to the last sixteen and were duly thrashed by Madrid. Or even Basel of a few years ago, who won 1-0 in Switzerland before Bayern tonked them 7-0 in the return leg.

There isn't the same sense of unpredictability in the Champions League due to the nature of the competition's format, and because of that I think when two teams are qualifying from every group - some being groups of death where all four are likely winners on paper, some where United and some team from the backwoods of Romania might qualify and in theory are of equal standing - there has to be some argument towards a few teams making up the 'numbers', as it were. I suppose its all about context, really.

Lightning

Banned
I don't care if we are only in the CL to make up numbers. Those CL games are fucking awesome so it's still well worth it.

Spurs have only had 1 year in the CL in the past decade. That's soooooooooooooooo much better.

Zabojnik

I don't care if we are only in the CL to make up numbers. Those CL games are fucking awesome so it's still well worth it.

Spurs have only had 1 year in the CL in the past decade. That's soooooooooooooooo much better.

Pretty sure Arsenal will get to the quarter-finals at the very least this year.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh god yeah, I'd rather be in the CL and make up the numbers than not be in it at all. Just wish clubs like United and Arsenal used the fucking ludicrous amounts of money gifted just for being an English club made up of continental cunts and actually strengthened the side to challenge.

At least we know the fall of Bayern has begun #fuckmas #miashitmia #pepout #freeshinji

Yen

Sal, I was recommended a book. I can't remember what it is, but you know every book ever written so what was it.

• Written by a woman, during WW2
  • About the Holocaust
  • An epic, the first of a (planned?) trilogy
  • She died before writing the rest (possibly)
  • Is not Anne Frank before anyone gets smart

Edit: Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky

K1LLER7

Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117 1h

"Diario As confirms Ozil's agent, also his father, received offers from Manchester United and Arsenal. #MUFC #AFC"

Fellani and Ozil would be HNGGGG

But he'll probably go Arsenal

Messi

Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117 1h

"Diario As confirms Ozil's agent, also his father, received offers from Manchester United and Arsenal. #MUFC #AFC"

Fellani and Ozil would be HNGGGG

But he'll probably go Arsenal

Join Arsenal pls OZIL, they need you more.

Wilbur

Banned
Zabo

how much for Pogba?

We'll give you 20 percent of Adnan, 100 percent of kharma and 40 percent of the Champions League trophy 2013/14

Salvadora

I can't muster that much excitement for Ozil or Di Maria, in all honesty. I don't know if that makes me a bad Arsenal fan.

I just know the same gaps, and criticisms will be there when the window closes. We will still need a striker, DM, keeper & CB. Sign one of those and I will regain hope.

Wilbur

Banned
Arsenal should bid 20m for Iker. When that gets rejected and Casillas says "well why won't you accept a bid for me if I'm just going to sit on the bench" and gets put back in the first team, they should bid 10m for Diego Lopez.

Messi

Arsenal should bid 20m for Iker. When that gets rejected and Casillas says "well why won't you accept a bid for me if I'm just going to sit on the bench" and gets put back in the first team, they should bid 10m for Diego Lopez.

Or you know, actually try bid a proper amount for Iker and get a great keeper.

K1LLER7

True, he didn't win many with Madrid, he might want some more. He only won a League, Super Cup and Copa right?

He couldn't join the best team in La Liga, so he wants to move to the best in the PL ;)

The way this windows gone, i'd be happy if we signed Fellani and that was that.

Would make a great partner with Carrick and make us better with attacking/defending set pieces.

Wilbur

Banned
speaking of which, how the hell did Munich draw with Freiburg? what could cause such a thi...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-N6_SIDZDP24/UaJXK_re9eI/AAAAAAAAAH4/9h3uGZLasJ0/s320/Pep-Guardiola-the-Barcelo-003.jpg[/IG]

...oh.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://scissorskick.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/guardiola-1.jpg?w=450&h=225

tumblr_mrxocl72ET1ry9klzo1_500.png

Zalatan-y-su-biograf%C3%ADa-sobre-el-Barcelona.jpg

pep-out.jpg

Messi

He couldn't join the best team in La Liga, so he wants to move to the best in the PL ;)

The way this windows gone, i'd be happy if we signed Fellani and that was that.

Would make a great partner with Carrick and make us better with attacking/defending set pieces.

Le Sigh

I love Ozil. Really classy player, right up there with Xabi Alonso/Ronaldo in the nice guy stakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom