• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fady K

I am not so sure... this will be a game where bayern has 80% posession, 20 shots on target, 25 corners and we still lose it because of one counter attack ;)

We had Drogba though Jack, you should see our strikeforce of Torres (who is a great player but not the striker to count on) and Ba (who has been off since his newcastle days with the exception of a few wonder goals). Our main strikers just don't do their job well at all honestly.

I wonder if the Europa is worth winning? I think Spurs have a very decent chance this year. We have one of the best squads in it and this year, unlike last year, we have enough depth that we can afford to play good players in it without sacrificing fitness for the premier league. I just got thinking when I saw that Lyon are playing their Champions League qualifier tonight, yet we beat them in the Europa league last year. We have to have a pretty good chance, surely?

Walshy

I wonder if the Europa is worth winning? I think Spurs have a very decent chance this year. We have one of the best squads in it and this year, unlike last year, we have enough depth that we can afford to play good players in it without sacrificing fitness for the premier league. I just got thinking when I saw that Lyon are playing their Champions League qualifier tonight, yet we beat them in the Europa league last year. We have to have a pretty good chance, surely?
Any trophy is worth winning.

Jack cw

We had Drogba though Jack, you should see our strikeforce of Torres (who is a great player but not the striker to count on) and Ba (who has been off since his newcastle days with the exception of a few wonder goals). Our main strikers just don't do their job well at all honestly.
Should be an interesting match then :D Most of the goals we conceded came from the wings and I'am curious to see how we defend against an opponent that is on the same level as Bayern.

people like to hate !
Sure but this is getting ridiculous... Those very same people hyped Guardiola Bayern to death and are now disapointed that our B-squad played 1-1 against a team we had always problems with even under Heynckes... Good thing is that those overhyped expectations now go down to realistic ones... Bayern needs some time too reach Barcelona tiki taka boredom domination.

Guardiola miles ahead of Mourinho, says Hoeness

Mourinho has won titles at Porto, Chelsea, Inter and Real.

Pep took the best team in the world and sat on the sidelines enjoying a brisk ride as soon as the going got tough he left. Pep has done little to prove himself. A duck could have done what he did at Barce with that team.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Nah

121884975.jpg

Jack cw

Guardiola miles ahead of Mourinho, says Hoeness
They are both incredible managers but in the end Mou has proven himself in many leagues with many clubs. But it looks like Guardiola could win some trophies with Bayern too. They are both great and probably the best coaches out there. Madrid wasnt Mous most successful station but he brought them at least into cl semi finals so it was an improvement ;)

NAPULEEEE E' MILLE CULUREEEEEEEE!

Goddamn, a Napoli fan. Post more, we Juventini will
try to
behave, I promise. <3

Lambda, o great poet, add Napoli to the list of teams in the OP and LeleSocho, =GabrielKnight= and FootballFan as supporters. Kthxbye.

unlike most of Napoli fans, I like Juve.

Mostly because of the many italian players in their team, who are the backbone of the national team. I also think that Quagliarella in one of the most underrated players in the world, so I didn't like Tevez and Llorente taking its place (and Matri's)

They are both incredible managers but in the end Mou has proven himself in many leagues with many clubs. But it looks like Guardiola could win some trophies with Bayern too. They are both great and probably the best coaches out there. Madrid wasnt Mous most successful station but he brought them at least into cl semi finals so it was an improvement ;)

Pep could win trophies with Bayern? WOW, dude must be amazing!

Fady K

Walshy nailed it. Sure, some trophies are smaller than others like the community shield or super copa in Spain; but the Europa League contains many many matches and consists of respectable teams. Well worth it IMO.

Pep took the best team in the world and sat on the sidelines enjoying a brisk ride as soon as the going got tough he left. Pep has done little to prove himself. A duck could have done what he did at Barce with that team.

I love Guardiola loads and I think he added a lot of quality to Barca but I highly disagree with him being miles better. Besides, look at who said that quote, fully biased.

Probable line ups for tonight:

BSvmkpXCMAEdJBy.png

This could easily be one of the most important matches in years, getting out of the CL today could mean years and years of either EL or no european competitions. Hopefully Allegri sorted out Saturday's mess, we really need those money.

Edit: That's some lame photoshopping on the Boateng side.

Fady K

Should be an interesting match then :D Most of the goals we conceded came from the wings and I'am curious to see how we defend against an opponent that is on the same level as Bayern.

I wish we were on the same level as Bayern bro :[ Just a recap, we had to fight tooth and nail for third place, your team was 1st by over 20 points I think? We are a good team, but we are nowhere near the best at the moment.

Carbonox

Newcastle reopened talks with Lyon over Gomis.

I don't care, just get him over the line, fine the fuck out of Cabaye (or sell him and replace him with someone like McCarthy) and get on with trying to fight relegation.

Fady K

Its not like Mou led some 3rd division teams to championship...
Chelsea, Inter and Madrid had some of the best players in the world while he was there...
But nevermind, Pöhler is the greatest.

I don't know much about his inter and madrid days, but to be fair he brought a lot of talent and molded a lot of talent during his CFC days.

Zabojnik

Mostly because of the many italian players in their team, who are the backbone of the national team. I also think that Quagliarella in one of the most underrated players in the world, so I didn't like Tevez and Llorente taking its place (and Matri's)

I ... I don't know what to say. I will need some time to recover from this.

How do you feel about Inter?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Zabo, how did you miss GabrielKnight in the Euro thread? He's a class act.

iiiiiiiiloveyou.gif

No Country For Old Men is great so far, rad the first 50 pages last night. Don't understand why McCarthy refuses to use spech marks, the books gain nothing for it, and it makes them unnecessarily difficult to read with a proper flow

Jack cw

I wish we were on the same level as Bayern bro :[ Just a recap, we had to fight tooth and nail for third place, your team was 1st by over 20 points I think? We are a good team, but we are nowhere near the best at the moment.
At least your closer to us than all of our opponents before in the last 5 matches. And we are in the middle of transition... The squad has not fully adapted Guardiolas idea and we are still vulnurable through counters. We are still away from the team we were a few months ago.

I don't know much about his inter and madrid days, but to be fair he brought a lot of talent and molded a lot of talent during his CFC days.
Absolutely. Chelsea had an impressive squad around 2005/6 and some great talents but also some worldclass players. But some people here do not really understand that it needs a great manager to lead a team with so many class players to victory...

Zabojnik

Zabo, how did you miss GabrielKnight in the Euro thread? He's a class act.

By not reading it, lol. Never left Footy-GAF, ghhh. :) I feel like I should clarify what I said about international matches. I hate international breaks for friendlies and useless qualifying matches. I absolutely love Euro / World Cup, like most people here.

I want to hate on our rivals, but you guys aren't making it easy. Bring back Dash Kappei.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Tevez: "Here (Serie A) is more difficult than in England, therefore I had to change something."

"First lesson is try not to keep the ball for long because if you dribble 1 or 2 players, the 3rd will appear to take the ball away"

"Does it take anything away from my game? No, Conte is guiding me in the change: he gave me 10 tips which proved to be spot on" "A striker needs to be good with his movement."

"When I said that he cares about details like Sir Alex Ferguson, I meant it"
Expand

Yeah, he really struggled trying to dribble his way out of trouble against Lazio.
KuGsj.gif

Probable line ups for tonight:

BSvmkpXCMAEdJBy.png

This could easily be one of the most important matches in years, getting out of the CL today could mean years and years of either EL or no european competitions. Hopefully Allegri sorted out Saturday's mess, we really need those money.

Edit: That's some lame photoshopping on the Boateng side.

Hey De Jong is back! That's fantastic!

Is Boateng really effective playing in this position :/

Always nice to win a trophy, I think we need to concentrate on the league though, 4th place or higher is an absolute must this season, especially with Arsenal fucking about in the transfer window. The 2015 Europa League is better since it gives a Champions League place.

subtles

Very disappointed. You should have seen the rest of their lineup. Not a single thing to be excited about, including their "mega RPG" coming out for almost every system possible.

Hino's obsession with 'Business Projects' has caused a considerable dip in quality [of the overall portfolio of the company]. They still create really good IPs when they want to (Ni No Kuni) but the overall business strategy today isn't what gave birth to Dark Cloud and Jeanne d'Arc. At least we have the final chapter in the Layton series next year.

Mastadon

Banned
No Country For Old Men is great so far, rad the first 50 pages last night. Don't understand why McCarthy refuses to use spech marks, the books gain nothing for it, and it makes them unnecessarily difficult to read with a proper flow

I don't think his writing would be nearly as effective without the lack of punctuation. It adds intimacy and immediacy to his dialogue that immerses the read in the starkness of his world more than any other author I've come across.

NCFOM is his weakest book in my opinion (not to say it's bad in any way). You should definitely try Blood Meridian if you haven't already.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Jose Maria del Nido commented that Monaco&#8217;s purchase of Geoffrey Kondogbia has been against Sevilla&#8217;s will, but not criticised the player.

Okay, so it was Monaco then and not Wenger.

I don't think his writing would be nearly as effective without the lack of punctuation. It adds intimacy and immediacy to his dialogue that immerses the read in the starkness of his world more than any other author I've come across.

NCFOM is his weakest book in my opinion (not to say it's bad in any way). You should definitely try Blood Meridian if you haven't already.

What't the gist of Blood Meridian, story-wise?

Mastadon

Banned
It's often described the definitive 'anti-western' novel, but I think that undersells it completely. It's generally about a teenager who travels with a gang of scalp hunters in the 1850's, but you really need to just read it. It contains the most beautiful imagery, and has one of the most compelling antagonists in modern literature.

It's my second favourite novel.

It's often described the definitive 'anti-western' novel, but I think that undersells it completely. It's generally about a teenager who travels with a gang of scalp hunters in the 1850's, but you really need to just read it. It contains the most beautiful imagery, and has one of the most compelling antagonists in modern literature.

It's my second favourite novel.

Sounds good. One to add to the stack :p

FootballFan

Lol 3rd in la liga, 4-1 loss vs Madrid = best team in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom