• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

It's often described the definitive 'anti-western' novel, but I think that undersells it completely. It's generally about a teenager who travels with a gang of scalp hunters in the 1850's, but you really need to just read it. It contains the most beautiful imagery, and has one of the most compelling antagonists in modern literature.

It's my second favourite novel.

What's your favorite? Think mine is The Remains of the Day. Or maybe On the Road.

I think NCFOM the book is mediocre. The movie is ace though.

deGod

It's often described the definitive 'anti-western' novel, but I think that undersells it completely. It's generally about a teenager who travels with a gang of scalp hunters in the 1850's, but you really need to just read it. It contains the most beautiful imagery, and has one of the most compelling antagonists in modern literature.

It's my second favourite novel.

I'd say your favourite is 50 shades of grey

Jack cw

but yeah, its a shame lewandowski didnt come this year

Wouldnt have done much of a difference. I like Mandzukic and he is probably the better football player anyway and he is pretty important under Guardiola. Müller could play a false 9 if needed. Letting Gustavo leave is the problem.

ztYmas7.jpg

Fuck you guys, now I have all these to try and watch

The Town
The Assassination of Jesse James
Argo
District 9
Django
Looper
Memento
The Road

Hope a couple of them at least are on Netflix :(

Mastadon

Banned
Always wanted to read it but i was told one edition (the one I couldn't find as luck would have it) was the superior translation I should read.

Yeah if you can't get the Pevear + Volokhonsky translation, I wouldn't bother. I've read a few different versions and the difference is pretty huge.

GorillaJu

I haven't read anything by Kazuo before. Never Let Me Go is supposed to be good as well, right? Will check out both.

Sorry I reversed the names out of habit. It should be Kazuo Ishiguro as he's English and not Japanese (except by ancestry).

Never Let Me Go is beautiful. I didn't find it as touching as The Remains of the Day, but both books are good. They're different enough and written very differently that you could read both and not feel overwhelmed by the writing style, unlike reading two McCarthy or Murakami books in succession.

Carbonox

The Town
Argo
District 9
Django
Looper
Memento
The Road

The Road and District 9 are the only ones of those that I've seen. Both quality films. Got Argo and need to watch it at some point.

GorillaJu

The Town
Argo
District 9
Django
Looper
Memento
The Road

That's like a who's who list of top movies from a 25 year old man's Facebook. If this was 10 years ago it'd have 12 Monkeys, Se7en and the Usual Suspects. The only one of those I haven't seen is the Jesse James one. Django and the Town are the best of those, IMO. District 9 and Looper are hit and miss. They're all good but you should see Django ASAP!

subtles

The Town
Argo
District 9
Django
Looper
Memento
The Road

These are all solid picks but the cinematography of The Assassination of Jesse James is beautiful. I'd watch it again for some of the lens-'work' alone.

dc89

Jack edit that now. NOW.

Don't quote it guys. Always makes me sad when people quote stuff that's likely to get someone banned. Feels so bad when it happens to you.

Carbonox

Looper was really well received at first, but after the first week or so it started getting a bit of a battering on Gaf :p

Bit like Inception

That's cos those who liked it said all they needed to say on films like these before the vocal minority shat up threads with their incessant trolling and whining, knowing they'd have free reign of said threads.

Personally, Inception is a great film and enjoyable even after repeated viewings.

Wilbur

Banned
Looper was really well received at first, but after the first week or so it started getting a bit of a battering on Gaf :p

Bit like Inception

I really like the first half of Looper but really dislike the second half.

And Inception I loved the first time round, but every time I see it since it gets a bit worse. So much exposition. Hallway fight is still fucking baller though

That's cos those who liked it said all they needed to say on films like these before the vocal minority shat up threads with their incessant trolling and whining, knowing they'd have free reign of said threads.

Personally, Inception is a great film and enjoyable even after repeated viewings.

Sounds like Heavy Rain to me :p

I really like Inception as well, TDKR is the only Nolan film that's disappointed me. Can't wait for Interstellar, even though John Lithgow gets on my nerves (through no fault of his own)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Why are you guys quoting him?

-

The Town
Argo
District 9
Django
Looper
Memento
The Road

Classic:
Memento

Good movies:
D9
The Town
Django
Looper's first half
Jesse James (It's VERY boring though)

Bad movies:
Looper's 2nd half.

I don't know about The Road.

subtles

Looper is good as long as you don't think about it, same with all time-travel films to be honest.

One day they'll crack it, one day.

Nolan should be allowed to do more original films. I loved his pre-Batman work, not many have seen Following but I remember that one fondly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom