• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all, Madrid have not offered what we want.

Right now we have spent the bumper TV money and a bit on top, with £20m coming from Huddlestone, Dempsey and Caulker.

If we are really in for Lamela/Willian then that will be thanks to Joe Lewis, we wouldn't spend money we don't yet have from Madrid, especially when they've offered such pathetic sums spread over half a decade.

I certainly hope you're right! As has been said before, we don't really need another 3 £30m players, we need one amazing one, and we have him. I've also read a lot about Bale and how, despite Madrid clearly being his dream destination, he does actually love it as Spurs and he's a pretty dedicated guy. Hopefully this won't upset his form too much (other than obvious fitness issues at the start). If he stays then man, I think we have one of the best squads in the league this year. Pretty much every signing this summer and last has been great. The only downer for me was the selling of VDV - other than that, all the selling has been great. It always seemed that Dempsey scored in spite of himself.

Edit: Just saw your edit. Agreed.

faridmon

Faridmon, the new FF record can be streamed here.

If you allow the application on Last.fm it even scrobbles the music. It's from a Dutch public broadcaster so it's trustworthy ;)

Its not working :(

Perhaps, it won't stream to people outside the Dutchland?

Man, I want to listen to it...

I am really baffled at this. Both players will improve your squad dramatically. You want Wenger to spend money, yet you say stuff like that?

The goal is for Arsenal to get top 4. They need to spend money to get top 4, they need to spend their money wisely to get top 4.

I'm not sure Cabaye and Michu would get Arsenal top 4. Fabregas and Suarez would get Arsenal top 4.

Top 4.

TOP FUCKING FOUR

Not even Messi could save us. It's not a matter of which quality player we sign; it's how many quality players we sign

We used to be a team that walked out with Nasri, RVP and Fabregas. THAT was the moment to spend and reinforce.

In truth we need about 6 or 7 signings to compete for the UCL which is where this club should be aiming

The goal is for Arsenal to get top 4. They need to spend money to get top 4, they need to spend their money wisely to get top 4.

I'm not sure Cabaye and Michu would get Arsenal top 4. Fabregas and Suarez would get Arsenal top 4.

Top 4.

TOP FUCKING FOUR

No, it is not. The goal is to win the league. Fourth is just the bare minimum before fans protest for the management and board to be sacked

Plasma

Banned
I am really baffled at this. Both players will improve your squad dramatically. You want Wenger to spend money, yet you say stuff like that?

They would improve us sure because of how thin our squad is but if all our players are fit Cabaye would never get in ahead of Cazorla, Wilshere or Arteta.

I think Michu is better than Giroud but 25m might be a bit much when we could have bought Higuain for 10m more.

spidye

BSCHQftCUAAHeVt.jpg

oh god lol
/dead

the most unconventional player in the world

faridmon

Top 4.

TOP FUCKING FOUR

There aren't many players arpund the world who are for sale who would get Arsenal into Top 4, or at least have better money proposition than Michu and Cabaye.

They both also have experience which is a plus since those players Wenger buys all the time tends to be supermen in lower leagues outside the country.

But yeah, I know you don't want Cabeye to go, which is fair enough :)

faridmon

They would improve us sure because of how thin our squad is but if all our players are fit Cabaye would never get in ahead of Cazorla, Wilshere or Arteta.

I think Michu is better than Giroud but 25m might be a bit much when we could have bought Higuain for 10m more.

Yeah, I get ya, 25m would be steep, but I don't think Michu will cost 25m... is he?

Also, the business with Higuain was outrages, how can you let him slip through just like that?

I want to believe

That's right. Sakho's contract will expire next year iirc, he could pull a Van Bommel and make PSG happy. Or lower the Ibra/Thiago remaining installments, if there are any.

All in all, if we get Sakho and Ljajic, I'd consider this transfer window decent. A bunch of youngsters plus some known talents (and Silvestre) won't necessarily mean that we'll win everything, but it's a start and would probably mean that we have at least the 3rd place in our reach.

Plus, remember we are still getting Onda su Onda in January! I'm pretty confident we should lock down a CL place, we might even challenge for the scudetto.

In Europe we are nowhere near good enough though, I would just like us to get past the round of 16. Hopefully we don't fucking draw Barca again.

Scum

Not even Messi could save us. It's not a matter of which quality player we sign; it's how many quality players we sign

We used to be a team that walked out with Nasri, RVP and Fabregas. THAT was the moment to spend and reinforce.

In truth we need about 6 or 7 signings to compete for the UCL which is where this club should be aiming

He can't do any worse than Wenger.

L1NETT

Also Michu was great last season but he is a similar player to Giroud seems a bit pointless to spend 25m.

Don't agree on this one. Giroud was a really weird signing, as Wenger as always had pace up front and strikers who can create chances themselves, not some lumpy French bloke who needs somebody to tee him up.

I think Michu is more in the former category but for £25m that is a little steep but thanks to the oil clubs that is the inflated value.

I would say that Arsenal never adequately (Song was a joke mostly) replaced Gilberto Silva, and that should be the priority, along with a quality forward.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Gazidis really put his club in the shit when he said they had all that money at the start of the summer.

Hixx

Put £10m in to unsettle Kebab. Go to £15m to frustrate Kebab. Get to £20m to get Kebab instead of £25m.

I mean, hey, they still pay £10m for him than he is worth but it's better than £15m more, right?

bud

it has been clear for quite a while now that arsenal won't win anything this season.

the best arsenal can do is to compete. and to compete, two strikers (giroud and podolski), no matter how average/mediocre they might be, is decent enough. that's not where arsenal's problems lie. the focus needs to be on strengthening the midfield and defence.

besides, if arsenal buy a central forward at this point, it's going to be another player like park. might as well hold on to that money.

operon

When you leave it so late in the day, players are going to command more money than they normally would. Everyone knows your now panicking and the selling team has you by the proverbials if they want to sell. They got to buy as well to replace who their going to sell. The game against Fenerbahce is a must win, if they were to lose by 2 - 3 goals with the second leg looking harder to win, it could be even harder to get players if they think Champions League is in doubt

deGod

So Bale is almost definitely gone, right? Spurs have spent so much, and apparantly we've still got our cheque book out. I know our owner is rich (who's owner isn't these days?) but it's such a departure from the norm that it has to be backed by something, surely? They're just waiting so we don't get manhandled by the other teams for our loot.

Rangers are broke again

Plus, remember we are still getting Onda su Onda in January! I'm pretty confident we should lock down a CL place, we might even challenge for the scudetto.

In Europe we are nowhere near good enough though, I would just like us to get past the round of 16. Hopefully we don't fucking draw Barca again.

We'll draw Real Madrid, then.

it has been clear for quite a while now that arsenal won't win anything this season.

the best arsenal can do is to compete. and to compete, two strikers (giroud and podolski), no matter how average/mediocre they might be, is decent enough. that's not where arsenal's problems lie. the focus needs to be on strengthening the midfield and defence.

besides, if arsenal buy a central forward at this point, it's going to be another player like park. might as well hold on to that money.
Yeah, Arsenal actually have a better strike force than Spurs did last season (though they don't have anything like our midfield). For all the jokes people/gif's make of their defence, Arsenal actually had one of the lowest goals conceded (and they have a great goal keeper). Arsenal's never going to be a shit team, and they'll always compete, but I agree - they aren't winning anything this year.

subtles

Southampton for me.

I'm really impressed with Luke Shaw, such a brilliant player. Gareth Bale came through that academy as well, here's hoping Shaw finds similar success.

If Begovic was better with the ball at his feet he'd be a brilliant signing for Arsenal.

dc89

So Bale is almost definitely gone, right? Spurs have spent so much, and apparantly we've still got our cheque book out. I know our owner is rich (who's owner isn't these days?) but it's such a departure from the norm that it has to be backed by something, surely? They're just waiting so we don't get manhandled by the other teams for our loot.

glazer_family2_1557255c.jpg

Or they wouldn't have sponged off United I guess.

faridmon

I'm really impressed with Luke Shaw, such a brilliant player. Gareth Bale came through that academy as well, here's hoping Shaw finds similar success.

Looks like a complete player already. I really think they have the best academy in the country not only Bale, but countless other quality players came from there.

To be fair, when Bale came from there, he was quite shit.

kharma45

Part of me can see why we've done a shit bid of Felliani, or at least reason it somehow. If he'd been worth £23m surely someone would've went in for him?

Now we've bid 20m for Pogba apparently, are Juventus likely to sell?
When renegotiating his contract to stay on as Juventus manager, Antonio Conte had a number of demands, including that two players not be sold at any price: Arturo Vidal, and Paul Pogba.

He is the outstanding young star (with a goal and an assist just yesterday, as Juventus won the Italian equivalent of the Community Shield) for a club that just won its domestic league for the second time and lost in the quarter-finals of the CL to the eventual winners.

Why would he go to Arsenal even if Juve considered the transfer?

Lol @ Arsenal. £10m for Cabaye and £6m for Williams? What are they smoking at the Emirates?

United's bid for Fellaini and Baines was similarly poor.

kharma45

When renegotiating his contract to stay on as Juventus manager, Antonio Conte had a number of demands, including that two players not be sold at any price: Arturo Vidal, and Paul Pogba.

He is the outstanding young star (with a goal and an assist just yesterday, as Juventus won the Italian equivalent of the Community Shield) for a club that just won its domestic league for the second time and lost in the quarter-finals of the CL to the eventual winners.

A club would have to be frankly stupid to let a talent like Pogba go.

faridmon

Part of me can see why we've done a shit bid of Felliani, or at least reason it somehow. If he'd been worth £23m surely someone would've went in for him?

Who would go for him?

No one is that desperate for a central midfielder who happens to have money.

Meier

Lampards freekick deserves another look. What a hit.
http://i.minus.com/il3QjaR36ra1h.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

He took another one later that was an absolute thunderbolt -- maybe hit even harder than this one but it just went wide of the top right corner. It didn't really have the dip to it though -- just a rising shot. Really impressive scorer still.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Arsenal CAN buy Kondogbia if they pay his release clause!

Now we've bid 20m for Pogba apparently, are Juventus likely to sell?

tumblr_mrrkwrRVwG1qcxfxbo1_500.gif

Arsenal are free to bid on whichever players they choose, obviously. But why not try someone actually willing to go?

1-A shot at not winning the best league in the world.
2-Arsene speaks French

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom