• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

I see that the BBC running with the Cabaye bid.
The Magpies are yet to formally reject the offer for the 27-year-old France international but they view it as derisory and plan to turn it down.
We just have to try and one up United, don't we.

Dibbz

Agreed. And unlike our old policy of buying talented young playets, most of these players are fully developed. They aren't getting any better. At least with someone like Nasri there was the hope that he would (and did, for like... 6 months) develop into a very good player.

Though on the other hand, players like Squillaci weren't even at squad level so I guess this is an improvement. Of sorts.

That's not true. Out of Ramsey, Wilshire, Ox, Walcott, Jenkinson, Gibbs the only one you have a case for is Walcott. None of the rest have peaked at all. In most cases none of them have played more than one full season in their position. Arsenal have a squad but need to extra quality to propel them higher.

Things have changed now with 4/5 players that were nearly killed the other day. Now we need more squad players which is fucking shit because it puts us in the same position as last year.

We should just ejaculate cash on Rooney, because who else is realistically out there of that type of quality?

dc89

1157636_10153160390030455_579281150_n.jpg

Crop circles?!

Looks class. We used to have some proper funky patterns.

pmMp4r7.png

United got the tartan idea from us

BtMBoUa.png

Carbonox

The offer is so derisory that Newcastle can't even be arsed to address it and turn it down, hoping that Arsenal will get the fucking idea of how derisory it was.

If you give us Bendtner though, you can have Cabaye for free, obv.

Batigol

Banned
Dudes, what do you do if a job was supposed to call you today, but didn't? I think I did well in the interview and they told me they'd get back to me today. Do I just wait or contact them tomorrow?

D_prOdigy

Scotty P to Fulham then.

I have absolutely nothing to say on that one.

I had to give him a non-existent nickname to make it seem at all interesting.

Salvadora

The offer is so derisory that Newcastle can't even be arsed to address it and turn it down, hoping that Arsenal will get the fucking idea of how derisory it was.

If you give us Bendtner though, you can have Cabaye for free, obv.
I would give you Bendtner, Park, Sanogo (year long loan) + £15m.

Striking problems solved.

Slizz

Dudes, what do you do if a job was supposed to call you today, but didn't? I think I did well in the interview and they told me they'd get back to me today. Do I just wait or contact them tomorrow?

"Fuck that guy, we said we'd call him and we didn't and he took the initiative to contact us?????? US?!?!?!"

Said no one.

Call them.

faridmon

Yeah, I would contact them tomorrow and say that I was expecting a call and so on and so fourth. Keep in mind that some jobs aren't that accessible unless you are persistent.

hmm, talk of FIFA being bundled for free with X1 in Europe...

Some rumbling about FIFA becoming MS exclusive, which would probably single-handedly win them the generation. FIFA 14 is obviously multi-lat, but past that, its slightly possible, if not plausible.

If it happened, it would be vital for Konami to oull their fucking fingers out and make a decent PES game for the first time in 8 years

Some rumbling about FIFA becoming MS exclusive, which would probably single-handedly win them the generation. FIFA 14 is obviously multi-lat, but past that, its slightly possible, if not plausible.

If it happened, it would be vital for Konami to oull their fucking fingers out and make a decent PES game for the first time in 8 years

Fifa can't be exclusive as the contract doesn't allow it. I don't think its that unreasonable to think its being packed in with Xbox One's though… Its not like MS wouldn't pay for it

fuenf

Fifa can't be exclusive as the contract doesn't allow it. I don't think its that unreasonable to think its being packed in with Xbox One's though… Its not like MS wouldn't pay for it

yep and FIFA as a pack-in won't change shit. It's basically free money for EA.

jtb

Banned
That's not true. Out of Ramsey, Wilshire, Ox, Walcott, Jenkinson, Gibbs the only one you have a case for is Walcott. None of the rest have peaked at all. In most cases none of them have played more than one full season in their position. Arsenal have a squad but need to extra quality to propel them higher.

Thing have changed now with 4/5 players that were nearly killed the other day. Now we need more squad players which is fucking shit because it puts us in the same position as last year.

We should just ejaculate cash on Rooney, because who else is realistically out there of that type of quality?

I'm not talking about the squad, I'm talking about transfers. We still have plenty of young players and I think developing them is the right path to take. But transfer wise, Cazorla, Gervinho, Squillaci, pretty much all of the panic buys after the 8-2, etc. - they were brought to the club pretty much fully developed.

All but Jenkinson and Ox were here before Wenger's shift in transfer policy, and frankly that core of players should be surrounded by world class players (especially in areas not stunting their development; ie. GK, CBs and forward) rather than squad quality players.

But you're right, at this point we're basically screwed. I'd take Jovetic or overpaying on Higuain over Michu but those ships have sailed. And the players that are available are going to be even more overpriced than at the start of the summer.

Good-good.

I'd laugh if it was an inevitably shitty Kinect game. If Sony had the company funds to moneyhat effectively, the Xbox One would be a glorified WiiU already :p

What's the shitter genre, vaudeville musical, or crooning?

Allegri just confirmed that we'll see ElShaa-Balo-Boateng as our strikers tomorrow evening, and still have some doubts about the left flank, both for the LB and the LM. We'll probably end up with Constant and Muntari, I think we'll play with this formation:

---------------Abbiati

Abate--Zapata--Mexes--Constant

--Montolivo--De Jong--Muntari

-Boateng--Balotelli--ElShaarawy

I may have swapped a couple of positions, but I guess that's pretty much our starting XI.

Decent lineup, should be enough to beat PSV, but I was really hoping to see Niang at RW and Poli and LCM. It's gonna take a while for Max to trust Poli, I fear, even though he was very impressive in preseason. Muntari is better than Nocerino, at least.

Also I hope Urby starts at LB. Surely he knows Dutch opposition.

Showaddy

Sony would never let Fifa go Exclusive, with their Champions League advertisement space it was key to them getting their foothold in Europe last gen.

Then again Sony let Monster Hunter got Ninty Exclusive when it was the only thing keeping the PSP alive in Japan.

LTWheels

I don't think it will exclusive, but being bundled in for free is a price incentive.

fuenf

When you say won't change shit do you mean in terms of sales for Xbox One? I can see it helping though I'm not suggesting they'll skyrocket

Most people will buy FIFA on the PS360 & PC to play with their friends. Don't forget that the XBONE version will release 1-2 months after the release of FIFA on the currentgen plattforms

Tc91

United's u21 game vs Liverpool is free to watch on MUTV tonight.

Amos, Varela, Thorpe, M Keane, Vermijl, Cole, Ekangamene, Petrucci, Lingard, Januzaj, Henriquez

Borini and Ibe play for Liverpool.

Most people will buy FIFA on the PS360 & PC to play with their friends. Don't forget that the XBONE version will release 1-2 months after the release of FIFA on the currentgen plattforms

and not even in my fucking country until next year. People already prefer playstation here and delaying the xbone like that sure as fuck isn't going to change that.

I will be getting the old engine game instead through shady russian sites. #yolo

Empty

fifa being exclusive would be so gross. just imagine how many original first party games could be created with that moneyhat.

United's u21 game vs Liverpool is free to watch on MUTV tonight.

Amos, Varela, Thorpe, M Keane, Vermijl, Cole, Ekangamene, Petrucci, Lingard, Januzaj, Henriquez

Borini and Ibe play for Liverpool.

Cool. Will watch the first half at least.

Man, I don't wanna see Adnan in the 21's anymore....

Salvadora

I'm not talking about the squad, I'm talking about transfers. We still have plenty of young players and I think developing them is the right path to take. But transfer wise, Cazorla, Gervinho, Squillaci, pretty much all of the panic buys after the 8-2, etc. - they were brought to the club pretty much fully developed.

All but Jenkinson and Ox were here before Wenger's shift in transfer policy, and frankly that core of players should be surrounded by world class players (especially in areas not stunting their development; ie. GK, CBs and forward) rather than squad quality players.

But you're right, at this point we're basically screwed. I'd take Jovetic or overpaying on Higuain over Michu but those ships have sailed. And the players that are available are going to be even more overpriced than at the start of the summer.
I'll be on suicide watch if we start overpaying for players like Cabaye.

I think by the end of this transfer window I will be completely 100% on the #WengerOut side. He will leave such a barebones side that we'll drop like a rock no matter who we get in. We're the next Liverpool, except Kroenke is never going anywhere.

Usmanov, save us.

dude, gaming side went full retard.

"X1 gonna have a FIFA bundle"

"OH SHIT FIFA X1 EXCLUSIVE"

and trying to correct people it's like hitting your dick against a wall: i ain't getting through.

Hopefully we get to see him vs Palace at home seems like a good game to bring him in.

I was thinking that too...but then I realised if we don't get good results against Chelsea/Pool then Moyes will play his strongest team to make sure we bag the points vs Palace.

So basically, next 2 weeks...even Adnan's future depends on it :(

Manager

Schuster on doping:
Bernd Schuster, the Málaga coach, has said doping in football is acceptable to treat injured players.
Schuster, who played for both Barcelona and Real Madrid in the 1980s, said he supports the use of performance-enhancing substances "as long as it is not intended to increase his performance".
"I say, as long as it comes to the pure regeneration, I have no problem with it,"Schuster told Bild. "If a player is fit again after an injury in two or three weeks, then it makes good sense. But not when it is intended to bring a player to 120, 150, 180%. So as long as it is not intended to increase his performance but intended to bring him back as quickly as possible to the right standard."
"There is a culture now that some players have more pills and packs of tablets in their bags than deodorant and aftershave. They are very delicate, they need to be prepared for anything. And it is often just a state of mind. You could give them glucose and tell them it is good for them and they would take it.
"But these are extreme examples. Most guys are interested only in proper medicine and not in all these different therapies."
The former West Germany international also revealed footballers took "all sorts of things" during his playing career.
When asked if doping was rife when he was a player, Schuster responded: "No. It did not exist as a term.
"We have all taken something. Not stimulants in the classical sense. But sometimes you go to the doctors or physiotherapists, even the morning before the game if you were not well or had a small ailment. And you didn't ask questions about what it was that they gave you in there.
"But it was not about getting a bolt of electricity up your a**e and then being able to run at 200% capacity around the place."
Spanish sport has been damaged by the trial of Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes earlier this year.
Fuentes offered to reveal the names of athletes he helped dope, including footballers and tennis players.
However judge Julia Santamaria protected their identities, chiefly because Fuentes was charged with "endangering public health"]
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/19/bernd-schuster-doping_n_3779111.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom