• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodvik

You're the better man than me!

I just can't bear to listen to "if we had Van Persie we would've won" or "why did we sell him" regarding multiple players(!) after a defeat.

I am the same way. I avoid all podcasts when we have lost. Particularly last season as it was basically "going down and losing Benteke", which was depressing as hell.

Its why I am milking the past few days as much as I can. After our upcoming thrashing at Chelsea on Weds the tone will be back to shite.

Tc91

Ogden reporting United will now bid £35m for Baines + Fellaini. That should be close to what we'll eventually get them for.

Could see it being £40m for both, £25m for Fellaini and £15m for Baines.

We don't really need Baines though, Evra has been alright and he was good vs Swansea.

I say we fuck Baines off, get Fellaini and go make a bid for Luke Shaw.

Messi

I am currently watching Person of Intrest. Bloody awesome. The acting could be on the weaker side, but the story is rather good and every episode is self sufficient and have one or two twists.

Its made by JJ Abrams so there you go.

First part sounds good.

J.J...eh...

We don't really need Baines though, Evra has been alright and he was good vs Swansea.

Agree on Baines, I do love him and I think he's fantastic, but I'd rather go for somebody like Shaw who would be a long long term solution. Of course I don't think Shaw is available this window and he'd be better off staying at Saints for now anyway. Heard Chelsea are lining him up to replace A.Cole though.

Everton should hold out for £45m
Should.

Won't.

kharma45

Agree on Baines, I do love him and I think he's fantastic, but I'd rather go for somebody like Shaw who would be a long long term solution. Of course I don't think Shaw is available this window and he'd be better off staying at Saints for now anyway. Heard Chelsea are lining him up to replace A.Cole though.

Should.

Won't.

Shaw would be nice.

I still hold out hope Fabio will develop like Rafael if he gets the chance.

faridmon

I agree with this.

Baines should stay and Fillaini should fuck off.

Fergie

Banned
Ordered the 3rd season of Boardwalk Empire and Person of Interest blus. Should arrive soon. Hope POI is good.
POI is good, enjoyed most of what I saw before I dropped it during the hectic last months of Uni, feel like going back soon though, first catchup with BB.

"By Sunrise, a 3000 episode super sentai anime about Arsene Wenger's journey across the world."
Child soldiers.

3Sixty

When Ivan Gazidis began the final negotiations to sign Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain from Southampton, Arsenal’s chief executive arrived with a battery of lawyers and accountants by his side.

They all went into a private meeting room with Saints officials, breaking off for hushed conversations in corridors whenever the selling club raised the stakes.

By then Oxlade-Chamberlain had, unknowingly, been the subject of a complicated economic formula established by the Harvard business boffins employed on a sizeable retainer by the club.

Wenger’s detailed knowledge of every player’s contract even created an issue when Oxlade-Chamberlain was making substitute appearances for Arsenal last season.

Written into the England winger’s deal is a clause stating that Arsenal must pay Saints £10,000 every time Oxlade-Chamberlain appears for more than 20 minutes.

Incredibly a trend emerged, with Wenger bringing him off the bench after 72 minutes (v Stoke), 73 minutes (Liverpool), 72 minutes (Coventry), 65 minutes (Norwich), 76 minutes (Fulham), 86 minutes (Tottenham), 67 minutes (Swansea), 73 minutes (West Ham), 71 minutes (Swansea), and 75 minutes (Reading).

Arsenal’s accounts department were stunned to receive an email from Southampton demanding payment for the appearances, with the south coast club justifying their argument based on stoppage time.

Eventually Arsenal agreed to pay for the appearances and the story worked its way around the offices at the Emirates with bafflement among staff.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Tc91

Shaw would cost more than Baines.

I'm not even joking.

Would be a better investment though, Baines is 28 a lot of people say he's better than Ashley Cole and is pushing him for the England spot but I don't rate him higher than £15m.

If we pay £20m+ for Baines I think that's a massive mistake. Evra and Fabio is fine even Evans can play LB.

Really? After their response today, it looks like they're much more likely to try and batten down the hatches.

They didn't even bother to say the players aren't for sale.

United will up the bids a couple more times and Everton will accept and go to Wigan and pick up a couple of their players.

kharma45

United will up the bids a couple more times and Everton will accept and go to Wigan and pick up a couple of their players.

And that will be our transfer window done and dusted. Hopefully next year Moyes will be more comfortable and be happy with the club targets.

spidye

Hopefully he'll get back on his feet. All of this might not have happened if he had been better at integrating him.

I don't know. he looked pretty integrated until his meltdown. he played pretty regularly under van Gaal.
I think it was just the booze.

3Sixty

Would be a better investment though, Baines is 28 a lot of people say he's better than Ashley Cole and is pushing him for the England spot but I don't rate him higher than £15m.

If we pay £20m+ for Baines I think that's a massive mistake. Evra and Fabio is fine even Evans can play LB.

No doubt. I really can't see Shaw leaving for anything other than mega money though.

And that will be our transfer window done and dusted. Hopefully next year Moyes will be more comfortable and be happy with the club targets.

Pretty much, it's been a mess.

Appreciate Moyes may not want to be rushed into doing any deals, but some times you have to take a bit of a risk...might mean no more Bebe's...but it'll be damn annoying if we start to pass/miss out on players cos we're dilly-dallying.

Salvadora

I mean in terms of transfer fees.

It will probably come to £40m + due to the circumstances.

Messi

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

959b65b0_15fc7_ORIG-the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

kharma45

Pretty much, it's been a mess.

Appreciate Moyes may not want to be rushed into doing any deals, but some times you have to take a bit of a risk...might mean no more Bebe's...but it'll be damn annoying if we start to pass/miss out on players cos we're dilly-dallying.

The targets he'd have been given too, the likes of say Thiago, would have been vetted and approved by Fergie before he left. I find it odd that Moyes then would decide not to follow through on the work already done. I too understand what Moyes is doing but more is lost through indecision than wrong decision. Every manager is gonna make duff signings at some point, I guess he's just afraid of doing it on his first time out.

K1LLER7

£40m max for Fellani and Baines. I wouldn't go over.

Although he's probably the best LB in the league, I wouldn't pay over £16-17m for Baines. 28 at the moment, he's at his peak and will have no sell-on value after a few years at the club.

Fellani on the other hand would be a great signing and partner alongside Carrick imo. He'll also make us better on set pieces and add that extra bite to our game, which we have missed for a while.

Would love to for us to make a marquee signing to take the #7 or #9 shirt, but don't see that happening this window. Unless we make a surprise signing.

£40m max for Fellani and Baines. I wouldn't go over.

Although he's probably the best LB in the league, I wouldn't pay over £16-17m for Baines. 28 at the moment, he's at his peak and will have no sell-on value after a few years at the club.

Fellani on the other hand would be a great signing and partner alongside Carrick imo. He'll also make us better on set pieces and add that extra bite to our game, which we have missed for a while.

Would love to for us to make a marquee signing to take the #7 or #9 shirt, but don't see that happening this window. Unless we make a surprise signing.

Baines #7

Fellaini #9

Done.

3Sixty

I think of all the times Arsenal fans cried out of AOC to get starts/subbed on.

All the time Wenger was thinking of saving 1/5th of Bentner's wages.

faridmon

I hate how fucking arrogant you guys sound by guaranteeing you are going to sign Baines. Well lets fucking see if he goes to your bloody club or not.

I hate how fucking arrogant you guys sound by guaranteeing you are going to sign Baines. Well lets fucking see if he goes to your bloody club or not.

You know in the article which reports we are going to bid £35m...there is also a bit which says Martinez might consider Clever Tom as a makeweight in the deal.

Enjoy.

Whoa....it's Champions League
qualifying
time this week!

Actually looks to be quite a few good matches on:

PSV vs. AC Milan

Shakter Karagandy vs. Celtic

and for pure entertainment value - Arsenal away at Fenerbache!

[Edited because I thought Celtic had SHAKTAR and not SHAKTER]

Please no :(

Would you take Cabaye?

I don't think we'll go for Baines again. Just a £20m bid or something for Fellani.

I can't really say I wouldn't take Cabaye cos he's better than what we've got...so it'd be stupid to sat that.

BUT, I'm not sure how much sense this will make...I feel like if we're going to get a midfield playmaker (the Scholes replacement if you will) it needs to be somebody who has a very high level of quality. Not to say Cabaye isn't a good player, he really is, but I think in the games against better teams he still wouldn't be good enough to swing them for us.

Players like Fabregas, Modric, Gundogan, they could.

So assuming we are going to sign one player in that mould, this window, next summer...whenever...I wouldn't really want Cabaye no...cos he's gonna cost £15m+ and in the long run I think he becomes an option, not a key player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom