• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT4| Everybody Hates Wenger renewed for 17th season

Status
Not open for further replies.

subtles

Sturridge, Coutinho, Aspas, Alberto and even Kolo have been good business so far. I don't know if Cissokho will recapture his old form but I can see why we went for him. I'd prefer we struggle to bring in some of our targets than to get the likes of Carroll and Downing at high fees unopposed. It'll take us time to get to where we want to be and as long as our transfer dealings are sensible it matters not if we miss out on the odd target.

We got Sturridge rather than Dempsey and Coutinho instead of Sigurdsson so sometimes things turn out better in the end. We blew our big chance when we had 100m to spend and we're now facing the consequences.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Marotta on Pogba: "Forget it, we have no intention of listening to any offers we could receive for our midfielder."

Marotta on Pogba: "Forget it, we have no intention of listening to any offers we could receive for our midfielder."

ibxoMlZyel05b2.gif

dc89

And City looking likely to win the triplete ... you must be buzzing. Free of Mancini, at last!

:lol

City were awesome on Monday, but I'm not getting ahead of myself. Let's see us perform like that for a few weeks then I'll start to believe.

Pellegrini - what a boss.

dc89

Pablo Zabaleta has revealed that Manuel Pellegrini wants Manchester City to "kill the ball" and swamp the opposition. The emphatic 4-0 home win over Newcastle United was the first indication of how the new manager has coached City to play as his side moved possession quickly and pressed at high tempo to win back the ball.

Zabaleta said: "The performance was fantastic, the team spirit was great and this is the way we want to play. If you saw Pellegrini's teams before he came to City, they always played this way. They were very aggressive, always trying to kill the ball, get into spaces and, above all, playing to win. He produces aggressive, attacking teams who play with a good tempo and a high intensity. We did that.

"It was hard for Newcastle after the sending-off [of Steven Taylor before half-time]. They had a player less and had to cope with [Jesús] Navas playing wide with two strikers in front of him and [David] Silva coming from inside. It would have been hard for any team to have stopped them, let alone one with 10 men. [Sergio] Agüero and [Edin] Dzeko did well together and they will add a lot of goals.

"As for Navas, it is sometimes hard for new players, especially when they come from another league and you have to adapt to a new country, a new language and a new life. But this is a squad where plenty of Spanish is spoken and we will do our best to help him. It did not take me long but then everyone is different."

Goals from Silva, Agüero, Yaya Touré and Samir Nasri put City at the top of the table on Monday, and Zabaleta hailed Pellegrini's preparation for the season. "We have been working really well. His communication with the players has been good and he has made his ideas very clear. We know the way we want to play. It is obviously only the first game of the season but we scored goals, kept a clean sheet and now we move on to Cardiff."

Gaël Clichy also underlined how Pellegrini wants to approach games: "When you play for a team like City you always want the three points," the left-back said. "His idea is to play attractive football, to score goals and create chances. But the most important thing is three points."

The trip to Cardiff is on Sunday and Zabaleta, who signed a new four-year deal on Monday, is clear that a good start is required to give City the best chance of becoming champions again. "It is very important and before the international break we have to beat Cardiff and Hull City at home," said the Argentinian, also looking beyond Manchester United and Chelsea as potential rivals. "You mustn't forget Spurs and Liverpool have a good team, although we have to see what will happen with [Luis] Suárez. The battle for the title is going to be interesting. We want that title back and we will try to get it back with attractive football."

Of his new contract, Zabaleta said: "It feels like home here. I have been here for five years and am really enjoying it. I didn't think twice when the club came to me to discuss my contract. This is the place I want to be and I want more success here. The summer was a hard one.

"At Manchester City the expectation is that you will win trophies and last season was hard and disappointing for everyone but everybody is fresh now, we have had a break and everybody is very focused. We know our target for the season and we will try to fulfil it."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/20/pablo-zabaleta-manuel-pellegrini-manchester-city

<3

Edit:

I randomly read on some news website a quote that went a little like this:

"Yes, Newcastle were rank but City played like a side who revelled in their talent instead of being weighed down by it"

I got so giddy.

Arnie

It's win win, really.

Spurs will probably finish about 15 points ahead of us, in which case I can have a good moan about a lack of ambition to pay the fees it takes to capture top targets.

Or we go fucking mad on a bunch of budget £8 million buys and storm the league on Kolo's magic carpet like some red Dortmund. A team of bargains and shrewd signings. Headed by our loveable number four, slapping his chest, nodding his head, shouting something.

3150__2901__prop120817-73-liverpool_stoke_513X314.jpg

GorillaJu

It's win win, really.

Spurs will probably finish about 15 points ahead of us, in which case I can have a good moan about a lack of ambition to pay the fees it takes to capture top targets.

Or we go fucking mad on a bunch of budget £8 million buys and storm the league on Kolo's magic carpet like some red Dortmund. A team of bargains and shrewd signings. Headed by our loveable number four, slapping his chest, nodding his head, shouting something.

If Spurs lose Bale, they'll have a deeper squad (after buying Lamela) but will be no closer to the top 4. They've bought a quality player with Willian, but they don't have any match winners now.

dc89

That's because City bought well this Summer. Definitely the best business done in the year so far.

Yeah I think we've done well.

And the great thing is we've not been embroiled in a big transfer saga, no off the pitch spats, no Balotelli disrupting anything and everything. It's one big, happy family and Pellegrini and Txiki are the responsible guardians.

Are Spurs essenially spending the Bale money before they sell him? Shame Suarez is such a cunt, we'd be able to do the same if he hadn't put so many teams off

FUCK, is Villa-Chelsea on at the same time as Fener-Arsenal?

rodvik

Benteke will probably destroy cahill

Hopefully. But you never know. Chelsea owned Tekkers in both our games against them last season :( Lambert MIGHT even drop the big man for Helenius and focus on the more winnable game on the weekend but it is fairly unlikely, I think most of our new signings will be bedded in over easier opposition than our first three games.

mil6es

Talking of targets have we been linked to anyone else we ultimately won't be able to sign?? Twitters ablaze with pie in the sky targets pulled out of some reporters arse.

Talking of targets have we been linked to anyone else we ultimately won't be able to sign?? Twitters ablaze with pie in the sky targets pulled out of some reporters arse.

Illori is the one I don't understand

Papa - ridiculously injury prone for the amount Schalke are asking
Willian - moved to a more attractive team
Mikhtaryan - moved to a far more attractive team

Illori ticks all the boxes and seemed to be available for a more reasonable fee

GorillaJu

Twitter is an excellent venue for people who know jack and shit to get recognized by making wild, speculative claims, because people on places like this post every rumor they see. I'd say less than 1% is true.

mil6es

So Illori or bust right now, so that basically translates to bust.

Also we created a problem for ourselves selling Downing without securing a good enough replacement, I wonder if they can really fix that issue this window or will we have to wait for a January recruitment drive like last season.

So Illori or bust right now, so that basically translates to bust.

Also we created a problem for ourselves selling Downing without securing a good enough replacement, I wonder if they can really fix that issue this window or will we have to wait for a January recruitment drive like last season.

This season, we were supposed to put less pressure on Sterling. Instead, we're going to have to put him under even more scrutiny, and put Ibe under the same pressure Raheem was under last year.

Could make or break them, which is not ideal for 17 and 18 year olds

mil6es

I dunno if Stirling is up to task is that respect, playing in out fluid 3 man attack, I see him more of a direct run at the defence player hmmmmm and Borini I really do hope he comes good but I'm not to sure, the point I'm trying to get at is I thought we would of fixed this sense of uneasiness by now.( I realise that the season is one game in and the transfer window is still open but I'm allowed to be a pessimistic overreacting football fan once in a while)

It's win win, really.

I really highly doubt that. No one will agree but I really don't see Spurs being that much better than us. I think it will do down to the last two matches of the season to see who will get 4th. You all can bookmark this post.

I really highly doubt that. No one will agree but I really don't see Spurs being that much better than us. I think it will do down to the last two matches of the season to see who will get 4th. You all can bookmark this post.

Can't see it.

Spurs have strengthened massively and their star is probably staying. We've strengthened incrementally, and our star is banned for 4 more league games, and could well sulk throughout the season.

If we finish within 10 points of them, that'd be progress.

Wait, Chelsea are at home? Arsenal game it is

http://www.tequilaworks.com/eng/news-of-the-world/detail/30

Rime is PS4 exclusive, developer seems to have become first party

pappe

Lol no.

Spurs are a much stronger side. I would say overall their squad has almost the same quality as the current United squad. Liverpool are a few players short of achieving that.

Carbonox

Anyone else ridiculously bored by the indie wankfest in Sony's conference yesterday?

Indie this, indie that, indie in my mouth, indie up my arse, indie all over my face.

Yawn. One or two looked interesting but that's it. The problem is that they kept on going on and on and on.

Anyone else ridiculously bored by the indie wankfest in Sony's conference yesterday?

Indie this, indie that, indie in my mouth, indie up my arse, indie all over my face.

Yawn. One or two looked interesting but that's it. The problem is that they kept on going on and on and on.

Rime looks incredible, Helldivers looks like the kind of thing that I'll enjoy the demo of and never actually buy the game, but I'm bored with all the 2D stuff, platforming, arcade, roguelike, whatever. Never liked them when it was an almost dead genre, still don't like them now that there are seemingly hundreds of the bastards being made

bjaelke

Close transfer window before season, says Jose Mourinho
Jose Mourinho would rather the transfer window was closed but he will continue his pursuit of a new striker until the very end.

After having two bids for Wayne Rooney turned down, Chelsea, Mourinho insisted, "have plan B and plan C". Samuel Eto'o of Anzhi Makhachkala, who played for Internazionale under Mourinho, is a likely next option.

But the manager agrees with Alan Pardew's contention on Monday that the window should not run at the same time as the season. "The transfer window goes too far, into the third and fourth fixture of the season. I agree that it's too much."

Mourinho would not take sides in Pardew's argument that Arsenal's bid for Yohan Cabaye unsettled Newcastle. "There is not a guilty one," he said. "If you want to leave every one of us out of this strange situation, then close the window differently."
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...before-season-says-jose-mourinho-8777232.html

FootballFan

Honestly would rather watch an hour of Indie announcements than hear for 5 mins about exclusive skin for asscreed 32 or whatever the number is now.

LTWheels

Announcing new indie games is interesting.
Accounting indie games that have already been released on PC is not interesting.
Using fluff like 'console exclusive' or 'exclusively debuting first on...' is not interesting.

tbh I don't find the indie game wank-fest by the two console manufacturers exciting. Just a PR move. At the end of the day the home of indies is the PC and mobile. I'm not spending £309-400 on a console to play indie games that will be on my PC or phone.

Carbonox

Honestly would rather watch an hour of Indie announcements than hear for 5 mins about exclusive skin for asscreed 32 or whatever the number is now.

I'd rather see AC4 trailers than look at the shite they're plugging as 'artsy fartsy indie spunk'. :p

hurrdurr look at me im like so indie my game melts your miiiiiiind it will totally make you think maaaaaaaan

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'd rather see AC4 trailers than look at the shite they're plugging as 'artsy fartsy indie spunk'. :p

hurrdurr look at me im like so indie my game melts your miiiiiiind it will totally make you think maaaaaaaan
The only game that made think was FIFA 10.

"Fuck me our team is dire.. Marotta OUT"

Some indie games are really good, and offer interesting experiences that you can't really get with big-budget games. I'd much rather play through an unique experience than play shoot-bang 2000 dudes for the millionth time. That shit gets boring and samey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom