• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

On the bench, sucks for him that Stuttgart is out of the Euro League already. He would have certainly got some time when Ibisevic would had been rested. But this way, I don't see a way past Ibisevic for him.

To be fair, as much as I love him, he is inconsistent. When in Hanover, there were some games where he beasted, but then there were games where he was running like headless chicken.

I don't know if you know or care, but who do you think is the most Norwegian player this season in Bundesliga? Apparently Skjelbred in the way to Berlin in exchange for Lassoga already. He was bloody massive in Norway, Hamburger don't like him?

Wilbur

Banned
IMO it was an awful game. Maybe Liverpool were tired or wary of leaving space in behind but if they pressed higher up against us they could have beaten us 2/3-0 I think.

Those players you mentioned were poor but Carrick also had a really bad game, which is probably more worrying. He was very shaky, there are some obvious limitations to his game which we all know but the things he was doing very well last season he wasn't doing today.

Carrick looked panicky in possession so many times today. Rio as well.

We have so little physical presence in midfield its appalling. I can't even express how poor we were today in words, and I'll be saying the exact same as everyone else. There's not really much to say.

I'm not blaming Moyes too much. We wouldn't have played any better with Fergie at the helm except for maybe a tad more belief when the five minutes went up at the end. But the board need to back him right now, and Moyes needs to have more faith in some players. Picking Giggs and the absolutely predictable Young will piss me off the longer it goes on.

IMO it was an awful game. Maybe Liverpool were tired or wary of leaving space in behind but if they pressed higher up against us they could have beaten us 2/3-0 I think.

Those players you mentioned were poor but Carrick also had a really bad game, which is probably more worrying. He was very shaky, there are some obvious limitations to his game which we all know but the things he was doing very well last season he wasn't doing today.

Carrick was put under a lot of pressure by Cleverley today. That might just be close to Clevgod's worst performance. He seems to have gone full-Ashley Young with his composure and effectiveness on the ball.

Mastadon

Banned
Aspas has looked completely average to me so far...early days obv, but think he is gonna lose his place pretty sharpish.

He looked really good against Stoke I thought, but yeah he's struggling to find a rhythm since then. To be fair, he's a great option to have on the bench when Suarez is back. He's quick and has good movement that can pull defenders out of place. I think he'll come in to his own as a squad player.

ShogunX

I thought considering we played 120 minutes on Tuesday, the performance in the second half was explained.

It was clearly another conscious decision from Rodgers to sit back on our lead. It's no coincidence that it's happened in both of our last league matches. Brendan has clearly learned his lesson from last year were we got hit on the counter because of being so open when attacking.

We take the lead and basically say ''come and break us down if you're good enough'' Man Utd and Villa weren't. It's smart management by Rodgers.

Fergie

Banned
ManUtd twitter getting a rollicking.

TjSxF.gif

Labadal

Nah, he replaces Aspas, simple as that

Would anyone agree that Coutinho looked like he wasn't expecting such intense pressure from the midfield and defenders? Needs to learn that the better teams in this league will be at his heels before the ball gets to him

Coutinho didn't have the best of games to be honest. Same goes for Aspas.

flyover

Nah, he replaces Aspas, simple as that
Yeah. Exactly this. Aspas has done well, but having Suarez in that position is a major upgrade. I'm glad they've won all three matches so far, but you can't count on winning 1-0 every week. Moses - Sturridge - Suarez, with Coutinho just behind them, will be fun to watch.

Zabojnik

Weidenfeller - Großkreutz, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer - Bender, Sahin - Blaszczykowski, Mkhitaryan, Reus - Lewandowski

Let's do this!

Frankfurt without Alex Meier and Rode, Oczipka on the bench. With those players out, that's almost a must win for us today.

Milch, are you hearing anything about this Kempf from Eintracht, 19yo defender. Italian media reporting it's a race between us and you guys to sign him.

Meier

It's kind of weird to me how thick Wenger's French accent is after all those years in the UK. Guess he was just too old initially for it to balance out a bit.

faridmon

Weidenfeller - Großkreutz, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer - Bender, Sahin - Blaszczykowski, Mkhitaryan, Reus - Lewandowski

Let's do this!

Frankfurt without Alex Meier and Rode, Oczipka on the bench. With those players out, that's almost a must win for us today.

Without Meier they are nothing. Is Inui playing WTF happened to him this season?

Mastadon

Banned
Looking forward to being able to relax and watch the NLD now. Not really sure who I want to win though. Despite all the #bantz, I have a lot of time and respect for both clubs. I'd love a top four of Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs :D

Wilbur

Banned
Think Liverpool can really profit from other clubs at the moment. They're the only team so far out of the top sides that have looked a cohesive team. Wins like this one and the Villa one are so fucking character building its unreal. The clean sheet away after Villa's performances against Chelsea and Arsenal, winning against the champions and the biggest rivals... it'll do them the world of good. If they can get points on the board while every team around them looks disjointed, then they've got a good chance of fourth.

Fully expect us, City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal to improve massively, but at the moment Liverpool are showing just enough team spirit and quality that they have something to look forward to.

Capooey lol Carra

I can't decide whether Suarez will strengthen this team or destabilise it.

Strengthen. As long as he tries to build a playing relationship with Sturridge, Coutinho and Henderson, there are no drawbacks. He's world class, and in games like today, gives us an option to make something out of nothing when we clear the ball.

Zabojnik

Yurt, it's almost offical for Berardi. We're signing him with the co-ownership formula. EXCITE. He'll stay at Sassulo this season though.

faridmon

It's kind of weird to me how thick Wenger's French accent is after all those years in the UK. Guess he was just too old initially for it to balance out a bit.

French have hard time overcoming their accent even if they live in an English country for a long time. I have a friend who complains about his accent even though he lives here for over 6 years. it baffles him.

Wilbur

Banned
"I thought we played really well. We had long periods of the game but couldn't score. Apart from the lapse in concentration for their goal, we played well.

"I thought Danny Welbeck got kicked in the back of the leg, for me it was a penalty.

MOYEEZUS PLS

flyover

Strengthen. As long as he tries to build a playing relationship with Sturridge, Coutinho and Henderson, there are no drawbacks. He's world class, and in games like today, gives us an option to make something out of nothing when we clear the ball.
Totally agree. However, if Liverpool win the next two matches, as soon as they lose after his return, people will be coming out of the woodwork to say they're a better team without him.

Clegg

Liverpool fully deserved the 3 points, wanted it more and were first to every ball. This game just proves once again that Man Utd need a top class midfielder. Fellaini isn't that top class player they need.

Fellaini isn't a top class midfielder but he's certainly good and would be the best midfielder in our squad bar Carrick. We'd like a CM who can be a presence in defence but also offer a creative and goal scoring threat like Vidal
or Pogba
. But imo the top class players are settled and don't fancy leaving their clubs. That leaves us looking for 2 midfielders who can do the jobs we're looking for.

That would mean we'd have to play 3 in midfield ie Carrick- DM - Creative CM. Which would mean not playing with wingers. Normally I'd be against this as wingers are part of United's DNA and we've been so successful with them over the years. But We've been so poor on the wings that maybe it's time to stop being so reliant on them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom