• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

faridmon

I probably missed your posts, sorry bro :'(

I don't post in the Anime thread but our Anime Brotherhood pact is still going intact <3

Can't wait for new Hunter x Hunter and Attack on Titan tomorrow :D

I'm on the last episode of Steinsgate. Will probably finish it tomorrow. I'll read your post in the Anine thread.

Good to know!

I was sad that we didn't get an Episode of HxH last Week, but tomorrows one should be bloody amazing. Hisoka's fight with that bird man. Hnnng

Shingeki no Kyojin is going to be a slow one, I reckon. Hope we get to see what happens with that
Female Titan
I get spoiled by someone and I sort of knows the outcome :(

Mastadon

Banned
I see Sakho as a marquee signing, to be honest.

I think he's got that five star quality that we've seen in Sturridge, Coutinho, and Mig.

Not just a squad buffer (like Ilori).

Also means Wisdom can go out and get minutes, hopefully.

Fair point, in all honesty I'm absolutely shocked that we've managed to get him considering some of the other clubs who were linked.

Juventus have ended their interest in Manchester United's 26-year-old winger Nani, with the Italian club's sporting director Fabio Paratici saying the player has signed a new contract at Old Trafford.
Full story: Daily Express

LIKE A NEW SIGNING

Walshy

Then Chelsea would be reluctant to set a (low) price for him after our last bits of business between the two clubs.

Happy with the signing. Lots of pace, strong, can play on both wings. Decent option.
Yeah he seems a good option and Chelsea are unlikely to set us a buy option anyway. He will offer more balance in our play, like Downing did last year.

I still think we are one more quality attacking player away from challenging for the top four, which is probably why I am so desperate for someone like Turan or Yarmolenko to come in :lol.

kharma45

"Earlier today we covered news from regional Basque newspaper El Correo who insinuated that Athletic Club had taken an extra player on the trip to Madrid just in case Ander Herrera wouldn't be playing.

The newspaper explained that it was usual for the club to take 18 players in a travelling squad but that this weekend they had taken 19 and the gist was it could be due to a impending departure for the young midfielder. They questioned the club's manager on this and he informed them that Herrera had not stated he didn't want to play but said he'd talk to the player before the game to check everything was fine.

This evening they have said that Herrera has informed Athletic Club that he wants to leave. El Correo headline the very small article 'Herrera says yes to United and waits', the waiting part is down to the two clubs agreeing a fee but after other reports in Spain that Manchester United would up their bid and were determined to get the player, it looks like the deal could happen.

The player will not force through a transfer if his club are set against it but Athletic sounded like they were softening their stance earlier and have not ruled out the prospect of a transfer happening during this window. Manchester United would up the player's wages significantly and provide Herrera with the chance to play in the Champions League. An excellent season could see him fight his way into contention for the Spanish World Cup squad, and that will be something of a dream if not a scenario expected at this stage.

El Correo say they'll have more on the story in their Sunday newspaper. That hasn't been released yet but when it does we'll bring you coverage of what they're saying in Bilbao about a move which would be Manchester United's record signing. "

Looks like we'll find out tomorrow.

Fellani looks very likely now.

raptor-jesus-rave-camp.gif

K1LLER7

Good to know!

I was sad that we didn't get an Episode of HxH last Week, but tomorrows one should be bloody amazing. Hisoka's fight with that bird man. Hnnng

Shingeki no Kyojin is going to be a slow one, I reckon. Hope we get to see what happens with that
Female Titan
I get spoiled by someone and I sort of knows the outcome :(
Same, HxH is brilliant. Hisoka is my favourite villain out of all the anime's I've watched.

AOT: I kinda figured out who it will be. Will be really suprised if it doesn't turn out to be who I think it is.

Fergie

Banned
"Earlier today we covered news from regional Basque newspaper El Correo who insinuated that Athletic Club had taken an extra player on the trip to Madrid just in case Ander Herrera wouldn't be playing.

The newspaper explained that it was usual for the club to take 18 players in a travelling squad but that this weekend they had taken 19 and the gist was it could be due to a impending departure for the young midfielder. They questioned the club's manager on this and he informed them that Herrera had not stated he didn't want to play but said he'd talk to the player before the game to check everything was fine.

This evening they have said that Herrera has informed Athletic Club that he wants to leave. El Correo headline the very small article 'Herrera says yes to United and waits', the waiting part is down to the two clubs agreeing a fee but after other reports in Spain that Manchester United would up their bid and were determined to get the player, it looks like the deal could happen.

The player will not force through a transfer if his club are set against it but Athletic sounded like they were softening their stance earlier and have not ruled out the prospect of a transfer happening during this window. Manchester United would up the player's wages significantly and provide Herrera with the chance to play in the Champions League. An excellent season could see him fight his way into contention for the Spanish World Cup squad, and that will be something of a dream if not a scenario expected at this stage.

El Correo say they'll have more on the story in their Sunday newspaper. That hasn't been released yet but when it does we'll bring you coverage of what they're saying in Bilbao about a move which would be Manchester United's record signing. "

Looks like we'll find out tomorrow.

Fellani looks very likely now.
Until its done and he's showing the shirt, I'm not believing.

tumblr_lma4p6W0L41qb3eo2.gif

Lunchbox

Banned
who the fuck is herera. fucking moyes breaking berbatovs record for whoever ever.

munian was bilbaos best player when they shit on us on the Europa goober cup, get him

K1LLER7

Playing as an attacking Center Midfielder I think he would do well, probably playing in the spot Rooney played vs Chelsea linking to the forward.

I guess I'll find out when I wake up at 6am to watch Madrid put 5 past us for the nth year in a row.
Someone was linking him to Jack Wilshere, saying that they're pretty similar players.

If we sign him, I can only see him playing CM with Carrick.

kharma45

Someone was linking him to Jack Wilshere, saying that they're pretty similar players.

If we sign him, I can only see him playing CM with Carrick.

He'll end up as a CM for us (if we get him) who can push forward whilst having Carrick sit further back.

The mandate of the past few years has been to strengthen the side in order to regain our position as title challengers. And so, it has to be said, the signing of any one individual -- whether it be Draxler, Suarez or even Lionel Messi -- would not be enough; we need to sign several great players. The mandate is no longer to strengthen but to rebuild into strength.

There is an argument to be made that every single one of our players, except Sagna and Cazorla, are not Champions/Premier League winner material; we have quite a few problem areas that need improving. Look at the signing of Cazorla as an example. Despite demonstrating his fantastic talent, not even he himself can control the midfield and spur the entire team on. He needs help in front, beside him and behind.

But it's just not going to happen

FootballFan

Much better than Raditz.

You should watch Hunter x Hunter old man ;P

Oh and late happy birthday :)

Just kidding lol Raditz is like a 2 episode joke villain haha.

And thanks :)

Just watch Hunter x Hunter. You will not regret it.

Happy Bday? Happy Bday.

Really depends, how many episodes? I don't know if I can do 100+. I like FMA or Death Note length.

Soon after I started watching Detective Conan I realised it was like 650+ episodes with new ones still being made. F that lol.

Considering that it looks likely we might sign Fellani, I'm not sure if this will work out.
Options bruv.

Crazy innit, imagine we went from "shit who else can play in midfield" to "hmm, who's gonna sit this one out."

It's mental. And that's why it won't happen.

kharma45

No idea how trustworthy they are.

For we all know, they could be the Spanish Sun (without page 3)

They're a local Bilbao paper and were the first ones to have the proper confirmation of the Llorente transfer, not just speculate on it.

It seems the ball is in United's court, a matter of paying up and he's ours.

Desmond

I know I haven't posted here in yonks, but I've been busy blah blah blah. Still been lurking.

I've been a fan of Herrera for a while now. Hope we get him. ( to be honest, I first heard of him in PES2009. Bought him from Zaragoza. Within 4 seasons he was skipper. Gave 11 years of 20+ goals)

Muppetry.

Moses isn't the most exciting signing, but it allows Rodgers to use Sterling and Ibe in the way he actually wants to, rather than putting too much pressure on them

In

Mign the Merciless
Toure
Aspas
Alberto
Sakho
Illori
Cissokho (loan)
Moses (loan)

Out

Reina (loan)
Carragher (retired)
Wilson
Spearing
Carroll
Downing
Assaidi (loan)
Suso (proper loan)

I'd have taken that.

Clegg

They're a local Bilbao paper and were the first ones to have the proper confirmation of the Llorente transfer, not just speculate on it.

For any other club this wouldn't be a problem.

But for United? We'll fuck this up somehow.

K1LLER7

Options bruv.

Crazy innit, imagine we went from "shit who else can play in midfield" to "hmm, who's gonna sit this one out."

It's mental. And that's why it won't happen.
Yup crazy mate.

Would be really confident of winning the PL if we signed these 2.

I just can't see us paying this release clause. Would break our record fee too.

Salvadora

Wenger said that he wouldn't work under a director of football at his most recent press conference, he didn't even let the journalist finish the question.

Get him out.

If you're not going to sign anyone or win anything, then at least play some nice football rather than the laboured sideways passing. With the way we've played in the last 18 months, I wouldn't pay £10 to watch us at home.

omgkitty

Wenger said that he wouldn't work under a director of football at his most recent press conference, he didn't even let the journalist finish the question.

Get him out.

On the one hand I actually agree with his argument as to why he wouldn't want a director of football, but still think he needs someone who could coax him into making more deals and spending more money since his valuation on players is dated. I hate to bang that drum again, but this man is David Dein. That's exactly what he did before he left. It's clear Gazidis has no intention of pushing Arsene's resolve when it comes to valuations, and that's what we need. Clearly Arsene has no issues recognizing the right targets, just not the resolve to finish the deals when it comes time to sign the check.

Get him out.
Hopefully we can lock Klopp in one of the rooms at the Emirates when they come to visit us and tell him to work for us in a few years.

Clegg

From the Telegraph:

A fresh bid by United is expected for the Athletic Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera &#8211; due to play against Real on Sunday &#8211; but although they are likely to go close to the £30&#8201;million release clause in his contract, having had an original £21&#8201;million offered rejected, they still believe that valuation is too high.

Woodward can piss off if this is true.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
1377984210_extras_noticia_foton_7_1.jpg

the stage madrid was going to use to present Bale today is being taken down. fucking lol

On the one hand I actually agree with his argument as to why he wouldn't want a director of football, but still think he needs someone who could coax him into making more deals and spending more money since his valuation on players is dated. I hate to bang that drum again, but this man is David Dein. That's exactly what he did before he left. It's clear Gazidis has no intention of pushing Arsene's resolve when it comes to valuations, and that's what we need. Clearly Arsene has no issues recognizing the right targets, just not the resolve to finish the deals when it comes time to sign the check.

He gets a lot of stick, but Ian Ayre has done a great job this window, and seems o be in synergy with both FSG and Rodgers. You could do with someone like that. (Is it the same role Dein used to play?)

faridmon

Really depends, how many episodes? I don't know if I can do 100+. I like FMA or Death Note length.

Soon after I started watching Detective Conan I realised it was like 650+ episodes with new ones still being made. F that lol.

For your information; Detective Conan is the longest running series ever. Started 95 and still going strong.

Hunter x Hunter isn't that long. Its around Brotherhood-like number which you can handle. and the story follows a series of evolving plot rather than self contained episodic nature like Detective Conan.

and its will go fast, because its so good!

Fergie

Banned
who the fuck is herera. fucking moyes breaking berbatovs record for whoever ever.

munian was bilbaos best player when they shit on us on the Europa goober cup, get him
olu1cyl.gif

To be frank any CM is a improvement to our midfield where fooking Clev roams. Clev is decent but not talented enough.

omgkitty

He gets a lot of stick, but Ian Ayre has done a great job this window, and seems o be in synergy with both FSG and Rodgers. You could do with someone like that. (Is it the same role Dein used to play?)

Ian Ayre is a managing director and David Dein was the vice president. He was mostly in charge of making transfers and working on player contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom