• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT6| Relentless gobbrish

GorillaJu

Learn from Master Moyeezus. One of Rodgers' biggest flaws so far for me - apart from being unquestionably too erotic in his face handling - is that he doesn't really want to play any other way. Obviously in the second half of games this season you've been under the kosh a bit but I haven't seen an intent to play on the counter; merely to withstand the pressure and then try and get your own game into action.

We got out passed by Swansea a fair fucking amount in the first half especially, and left with a 4-1 win. Rodgers is a bright tactician for sure but I'm not sure if he's flexible with that.

dat long double post

I was sure someone would have intervened

You bastards

Think you're pretty much right in your analysis. It's fine to be encouraged by the defensive displays, but it's been overlooked how we have barely created any decent chances at all.

FootballFan

You lucky fucking fuck tho. I gotta twiddle my thumbs until the Liverpool match, and then continue doing so after. Won't be able to play until I get home about 5 tomorrow.

Will be worth the wait :p

No spoilers, just my thoughts on the game so far :
it might be the 2am tiredness speaking but this already feels a lot more fun than IV, which I didn't like.

Looks better than I thought it would too..really want a ps4 or PC version now.

Though I've only played like an hour so can't really make a proper judgement yet, so far so good though.

WJD

Anyone know why I can't sign onto PSN on the Playstation website? Works fine on the actual console but it's saying my password/email are incorrect on the site (they must be correct cause they work on the console surely?).

jtb

Banned
Well I found that Breaking Bad episode disappointing in the end for the direction it took, even if judged entirely on its own merits it was very well done. Thoughts to follow

Much like last weeks episode, this is one which could very easily see my misgivings resolved depending on how the next 2 episodes play out; certainly the beginning of this episode managed to largely allay my concerns with the ending of the previous. However since we have had flash forwards to the finale events it seems considerably more difficult this time.

Essentially it seems like that the creators of the show have buckled to their fanbase with this episode. It appears inevitable that they have gone down the root of 'redeeming' Walt by giving him a heroic sendoff where he avenges Hank, frees Jesse and exonerates his family in one swoop before dying of cancer of something else. I cannot help but compare it to The Shield, still the greatest finale of all time and the greatest 'anti-hero' protagonist series of all time if BB will end this way. Since I can't spoiler within a spoiler I'm going to break the post up here in case you haven't seen the Shield

The Shield finale spoilers:
Mackey is victorious in the end of The Shield, but ultimately loses everything. It is a completely hollow victory that leaves Vic to spend his remaining years not in hell, but in purgatory. Such an ending is the perfect comeuppance for a character like Vic Mackey (and indeed Walter White). The calculating badass of the 2 characters would never allow them to be really defeated in a way that would satisfy the viewers, so a Pyrrhic victory is the best route to maintain character and still give them their deserved comeuppance. There is an argument to be made for the character to avoid comeuppance completely and totally win, but for that I feel you need to go all in, which is not what BB did.

Anyway, my end point is that this whole situation in BB seems rather contrived to give Walt some heroic sendoff which "Team Walt" supporters would demand, rather than ending on the suitably grim note for the series. Again this is a huge assumption given what could happen in the final 2 episodes, but for now I am quite disappointed.

Well those are my somewhat jumbled thoughts. I would post this in the BB thread itself, but it seems to have been currently taken over by sociopaths who think
Jesse deserved his treatment for snitching

I agree; in my dream S5.2, they would abandoned the whole
time jump
thing. I feel like they're trying to dilute what Walt has become, which seems totally at odds with what the show is about (literally Breaking Bad)—Walt already broke, it's a little late, not to mention incredibly stupid given how terrible a person Walt is, to suddenly start planting doubt in our heads.

Wilbur

Banned
4 only kicked into gear around episodes 6/7 or so. Box Cutter was great but there was a few of the weaker episodes they've done in between that and one of the Gus centric ones. Dynamite finale though.

5's been my favourite season so far. Not sure which half because I've said the last two episodes have been my favourite two but it might be the adrenaline lol. But yeah, this entire 14 episode run so far is the best the series has been.

jtb

Banned
4 has some of the weakest episodes in the entire series. 2 has an insultingly terrible finale. 1 is kind of middling. 5 is just weird because it's so detatched from the first four seasons. I liked 5.1 a lot though, and it's disappointing that they're not really focusing on the ramifications of what happened in it in 5.2.

Therefore, season 3 > *. Fly + Sunset is an unbeatable combo.

sohois

I'm undoubtedly in the minority but the first 2 seasons will always be my favourite.

I guess unlike the vast majority of posters I came into BB very early, before Season 2 had even finished, which I'm sure would alter perceptions somewhat.

I just feel that the first 2 seasons were when the character development really shone through, without the need for crazy plot twists an development to drive further changes in their character.

omgkitty

This is great lol

1368113726727fcutw.gif

GorillaJu

I'm undoubtedly in the minority but the first 2 seasons will always be my favourite.

I guess unlike the vast majority of posters I came into BB very early, before Season 2 had even finished, which I'm sure would alter perceptions somewhat.

I just feel that the first 2 seasons were when the character development really shone through, without the need for crazy plot twists an development to drive further changes in their character.

I actually watched the original premier of BB on AMC, and I liked the first two or three episodes but wasn't in love with it. They promoted the fuck out of it in the weeks leading up. I must have seen the scene of Bryan Cranston in his underwear shooting off a pistol in the desert a hundred times on commercials.

It's definitely changed as a series, over the seasons. I think it was a more unique show in the first season or two, but as it went on, the pacing of the story got better and it became a "thriller" instead of what felt like a project attempting to go against the grain. I don't think it would have survived in season 1/2 style except with a very niche audience.

Metacritic, for me, is one of the worse things this gen. "If it's not 90+ then it's shit!"

I need to find that review chart made for modern reviews.
It's outrageous developers are judged on Metacritic scores by publishers.

And the fact most reviews only actually use a 7-10 scale.

Yen

Independent say Sakho is not in the Liverpool squad - not matchfit - and Skrtel and Agger will be the likely starters.

Top Bottom