• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT6| Relentless gobbrish

Showaddy

Mourinho's excuse about dropping Mata so that Chelsea can start to play beautiful football are seriously weird. Does he think the fans are all complete mugs?

Zabojnik

So you guys are convinced that Conte will go to Arsenal?

----------------------

I finally got to a PC and listened to 'Through Her Eyes'

Very apt song after last Monday's BB. Great song!

<3

No, we're not convinced that he's going to Arsenal at all. He does seem kinda frustrated with how our mercato went though, so there's a lot of speculation about where he might end up after Juve. Might be next year, might be in five years, might be in twenty to replace RoboWenger.

Lightning

Banned
What are Madrid saying?
First Marca with their crap about professionalism, then the stuff with that women in Italy, and since then Zidane, Ancelotti and Perez have all had something to say mainly about Ozil didn't want to compete for his place, didn't want the challenge etc...

When Arsene Wenger has to come out with this then Madrid clearly have an issue they don't want to let go. Why are they still on Ozil? It's been nearly 3 weeks now. Fuck off Madrid.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8932832

<3

No, we're not convinced that he's going to Arsenal at all. He does seem kinda frustrated with how our mercato went though, so there's a lot of speculation about where he might end up after Juve. Might be next year, might be in five years, might be in twenty to replace RoboWenger.

It would be weird if Conte comes to the PL, it's not like Arsenal are that much better with spending. Well, except for Ozil but I'd bet that's a one off.

Zabojnik

Just gotta believe, bro.

We need a hero.

image.php

GorillaJu

Mou's comments on Mata really don't seem that harsh to me. Yeah it's disrespectful for a player who has twice won player of the season for Chelsea, but he didn't say anything particularly scathing, just that he'd have to work hard, improve and fight for his place. The rest of the story is just posturing from the article's author, not quotes from Mourinho.

Zabojnik

That would be fucking glorious if he managed to fulfil that.

I'm confident Conte will soon realize we need to change something up front. Playing with two second strikers like Vucinic and Tevez has its benefits, but at the end of the day you still need someone that'll kick the fucking ball in, score the 'easy' goals. I think Llorente could be the man to do it, but not if he's forced to play like Vucinic.

We have to go back to 4-3-3 or some variant of it. WE HAVE TO GO BACK.

GorillaJu

I'm confident Conte will soon realize we need to change something up front. Playing with two second strikers like Vucinic and Tevez has its benefits, but at the end of the day you still need someone that'll kick the fucking ball in, score the 'easy' goals. I think Llorente could be the man to do it, but not if he's forced to play like Vucinic.

We have to go back to 4-3-3 or some variant of it. WE HAVE TO GO BACK.

The problem is that you need to be in the right position to score the easy goals. Those "easy goal" chances will be disappearing because you brought him in in place of a creator like Tevez or Vucinic. The striker will end up isolated.

If he comes deeper to hold up the ball and participate in the build up you risk not getting forward in time to find a scoring position. I would personally rather play two hard working creators like Tevez, Suarez or Aguero than try to work in a pure finisher, because it can be like playing with 10 men.

sohois

The problem is that you need to be in the right position to score the easy goals. Those "easy goal" chances will be disappearing because you brought him in in place of a creator like Tevez or Vucinic. The striker will end up isolated.

If he comes deeper to hold up the ball and participate in the build up you risk not getting forward in time to find a scoring position. I would personally rather play two hard working creators like Tevez, Suarez or Aguero than try to work in a pure finisher, because it can be like playing with 10 men.

Of course anyone would like to have Tevez, Suarez or Aguero in their team, but Juventus only have one of those players, the other strikers don't exactly match up. A choice between a finisher of Llorente's quality, or a hard worker like Juve's strikers is a different proposition

Mou's comments on Mata really don't seem that harsh to me. Yeah it's disrespectful for a player who has twice won player of the season for Chelsea, but he didn't say anything particularly scathing, just that he'd have to work hard, improve and fight for his place. The rest of the story is just posturing from the article's author, not quotes from Mourinho.
This is pretty much my feeling on the matter as well but I see a multitude of people here just jumping on anything that can be even remotely considered as negative without any kind of critical thinking whatsoever.

GorillaJu

Of course anyone would like to have Tevez, Suarez or Aguero in their team, but Juventus only have one of those players, the other strikers don't exactly match up. A choice between a finisher of Llorente's quality, or a hard worker like Juve's strikers is a different proposition

Yeah of course on paper any of us would put Llorente into the starting line-up. But this is Antonio Conte, who took the team from 7th to 1st and kept them there, purely by picking the right team and tactics. If he doesn't think that Llorente akes the cut, then I'd reserve my own judgment. Maybe he's just not as good a player as we all think and Conte is thinking along the same lines.

justjohn

<3

I can see him coming to chelsea actually if mou keeps fucking up.

Zabojnik

You make a very good point. That's pretty much Conte's basic idea behind our 3-5-2. But as sohois said, it works if you have a player like Suarez or Aguero who excels both as a SS and as a finisher. If you have Vucinic ... not so much. What happens then is that you have to compensate somehow. Enter Vidal, Marchisio, Pogba. Is it enough? It often is, but you can't expect a box-to-box martyr like Arturo to have the lucidity of a prima punta, not when his MO is running after every fucking ball for 90 minutes. Case in point: Copenhagen - Juve. Enter the wingers. Ah, that's right. We have none. Lichtsteiner is a RB, Asamoah is a CM. Both have been doing an admirable job, considering, but they just don't have that offensive spark that players like Robben, Ribery, Navas and Bebe have. Hence our problems in the upper third of the pitch.

Yeah of course on paper any of us would put Llorente into the starting line-up. But this is Antonio Conte, who took the team from 7th to 1st and kept them there, purely by picking the right team and tactics. If he doesn't think that Llorente akes the cut, then I'd reserve my own judgment. Maybe he's just not as good a player as we all think and Conte is thinking along the same lines.

Right. But Marotta and Conte have been allegedly following Llorente for two years. They knew exactly what kind of player they were buying. Which is what makes all this so confusing. He'd be perfect as a CF in 4-3-3 with Vucinic on LWF (his natural role, imo) and Pepe on RWF. Two problems with that though. 1) Pepe is still injured and will likely never play again. 2) Where do you put Tevez in a 4-3-3?

There's just so much room for improvement.

Right. But Marotta and Conte have been allegedly following Llorente for two years. They knew exactly what kind of player they were buying. Which is what makes all this so confusing. He'd be perfect as a CF in 4-3-3 with Vucinic on LWF (his natural role, imo) and Pepe on RWF. Two problems with that though. 1) Pepe is still injured and will likely never play again. 2) Where do you put Tevez in a 4-3-3?

There's just so much room for improvement.

Tevez can play the RWF position. He has played on the sides before to good effect.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What's odd to me is that as soon as Jose got the job we heard stories that Mata wasn't in his plans, right from the start people said Mata would be frozen out. Is this something personal? Maybe Casillas has given him a phobia of Spanish players or something.

If any manager other than Mou was treating Mata like this, the fans would be going mental.

sohois

What's odd to me is that as soon as Jose got the job we heard stories that Mata wasn't in his plans, right from the start people said Mata would be frozen out. Is this something personal? Maybe Casillas has given him a phobia of Spanish players or something.

It's not like Torres or Azpillicueta have been frozen out, maybe it is the RM connection

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's not like Torres or Azpillicueta have been frozen out, maybe it is the RM connection

Huh? I don't think Azpilicueta has played this season. Torres wasn't even in their last match squad.

sohois

Huh? I don't think Azpilicueta has played this season. Torres wasn't even in their last match squad.

I can't say I've paid enough attention to notice if they are playing or not, plus with those 2 its more of a case that they are shit than being frozen out.

Top Bottom