• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT6| Relentless gobbrish

Clegg

Didn't watch the derby live coz the All Ireland Gaelic football final was on at the same time and that took priority. So I've just had the distinct displeasure of watching that rubbish. I haven't read through this thread yet but from my perspective this performance was the culmination of a number of problems this United team has had over the last 18 months or so.

1)We don't play well when out players are put under pressure. We cant sit back and defend. Were just not capable of it. We can defend a lead if we have the lions share of possession. But when the other team has more of the ball we inevitably concede.

2)When our wingers aren't on form we find it hard to create many chances. Valencia tried hard but didn't produce much and Young was Young. Our problems were compounded further by the fact that we had so little of the ball for large periods of the game.

3)I worry that we don't have the ability to raise our game and sustain it for the 90 minutes.

4)Our shite transfer window where we didn't strengthen sufficiently. City did and they benefited from the good performances of Navas and Negredo.

But yeah. That was shit. Don't know why we didn't throw Kagawa on. Might as well have thrown caution to the wind since we were 4 down.

Peco

He was pretty much told that if he wanted to keep his job then he should stop with the 4~3~3.

Emanuelson is shit but right now the only other option is Constant who is just as bad. De Sciglio is the only option there and he is injured.

I also forget the last time he was able to pick his ideal starting 11.

They are not going to win the league, but Max will get them fighting for 3rd. And that will be a miracle because Juve, Napoli, Roma and Inter(maybe the Viola) have better squads right now

When the wonderkid turns 16 he will also be forced into the starting 11 by Berlusconi. Max just cant win.

Berlu is not the dictator (lol) he used to be couple of years ago.
He wants El Shaa on the pitch every game -> Allegri and Galliani buy Matri
and Kaka
instead.

Berlu is not the dictator (lol) he used to be couple of years ago.
He wants El Shaa on the pitch every game -> Allegri and Galliani buy Matri
and Kaka
instead.

I want Shaz on the pitch every game too :D. Balo just holds the ball up and waits for a foul so he can launch a free kick. It is between him and Totti for qho will be the most fouled man in Europe this year.

Salvadora

Would those people stop if we won the Capital One cup? I doubt it, I am not saying we shouldn't try to win it, of course we should, but of everything we are in it's the one that should take the least priority.

Trophy is a trophy and if you're in it you should always try to win it but we shouldn't tire out or squad or sacrifice any league points with tired players because of it.
Maybe not, but whether they do or don't matters little as it changes how Arsenal are seen as a team and a club. Yes the Capital one Cup has very little prestige in comparison with the domestic league or the Champions League but it is something we win.

Further down the line when Arsenal are (hopefully) dominating domestically and in Europe we can turn our gaze slightly, but right now with the position Arsenal are in we can't afford to take it anything but seriously. Winning it would imbue this set of players with belief go to the next level. The narrative is that we 'can't win' and that in turn effects the players.

Clegg

Reading through the thread and I think a bit too much is being made of the impact of Cleverley. Yes we played better once he came on but that's more to do with City taking their foot off the pedal and us having an extra man in midfield. He's not good enough and just did the bare minimum expected of him. It was noticeable that didn't know wtf to do once he got within 30 yards of goal.

QTQmXv9.png

Wilbur

Banned
Italian football cameras are so fucking crap. They have to replay everything eight times because not one angle captures the goal well.

Lightning

Banned
Maybe not, but whether they do or don't matters little as it changes how Arsenal are seen as a team and a club. Yes the Capital one Cup has very little prestige in comparison with the domestic league or the Champions League but it is something we win.

Further down the line when Arsenal are (hopefully) dominating domestically and in Europe we can turn our gaze slightly, but right now with the position Arsenal are in we can't afford to take it anything but seriously. Winning it would imbue this set of players with belief go to the next level. The narrative is that we 'can't win' and that in turn effects the players.
I understand what you are saying but Liverpool won the Capital One cup and the only thing they pushed on to do is get kicked out of Europe altogether and be a million miles from achieving anything.

If Capital One cup pushes us to higher honors than I'm all for it and I'm all for us pushing to win it provided that it doesn't effect our league form. Would the Capital One cup, finish 4th 20 points off the title, out of the FA cup in the early rounds and last 16 of the CL really be a successful year?

I honestly don't believe it would. I want us to win trophies as much as any fan but I've seen so many seasons completely die because of that compeition including ours after we lost to Birmingham thanks to fucking Shitesny.

Wilbur

Banned
Arnold (and fellow Liverpool gaffers
tee hee
), in hindsight would you never have wanted Rafa sacked? Stick out H&G, get JWH in and still have him now? Or do you think a change was necessary?

I'm a bigger fan of Beijing Red 4 Lyf:
ZE5KVvJ.png

BUyCuueCEAAsIyy.jpg:large

Hahahah that has to be a parody

Wilbur

Banned
Would the Capital One cup, finish 4th 20 points off the title, out of the FA cup in the early rounds and last 16 of the CL really be a successful year?

At the moment you lose in the Capital One cup final, finish 4th 20 points off the title, and you're out of the FA cup in the early rounds and last 16 of the CL so... yes. It would be relatively successful

Top Bottom