• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT6| Relentless gobbrish

Clegg

It is relevant as you made a (poor) effort to sign both of them and clearly prioritised Fellaini in the end.

Fellaini excels in a more forward position, doesn't he? Or at least looks like he does. With better players ahead of him in that position you perhaps should have turned to another player first. Ergo Baines.

Everton weren't interested in selling Baines and made that clear on a number of occasions. And if they were to sell him it would be for £20m or something like that. Sure we could have pushed the boat out for him but how far would you go? Personally, I couldn't give a shit how much the club spends so long as they get the players they want. But clearly United felt they shouldn't meet that price. We targeted Fellaini because he was a player Everton were more willing to sell.

Blablurn

EA makes them region lock it for their origin keys for some reason.

Maybe they should just have overpaid though. Or gotten Cuntreao, with a decent bid. Instead they dicked around being incompetent clown and ending up spending more on Fellatio than they had to, which they apparenlty didn't care much about.

fml. im staying with pes14 then. fuck u assholes.

<3

Clegg

I am curious, does he?

Unless you extrapolate that from the fact that He wanted Baines during the summer.

He wouldn't have attempted to sign Baines if he thought Evra was good enough. It's the same story with Coentrao. You don't try to sign two players for one position if you're happy with what you already have there.

Salvadora

Everton weren't interested in selling Baines and made that clear on a number of occasions. And if they were to seel him it would be for £20m or something like that. Sure we could have pushed the boat out for him but how far would you go? Personally, I couldn't give a shit how much the club spends so long as they get the players they want. But clearly United felt they shouldn't meet that price. We targeted Fellaini because he was a player Everton were more willing to sell.
I think that is a fair price for the best player in the league in his position and such a huge part of Everton. As for the age argument, Van Persie was 29 when you signed him. At some point you just have to look past that if the quality is of a certain amount.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the unwillingness to sell was partly due to insulting bids, if United had made a more reasonable offer then perhaps they might have came round. I would've gone very far to sign him as Baines is brilliant

GorillaJu

He wouldn't have attempted to sign Baines if he thought Evra was good enough. It's the same story with Coentrao. You don't try to sign two players for one position if you're happy with what you already have there.

Well, not for every position, I'd argue. But that's definitely the case with fullbacks. And you certainly wouldn't buy a recognized fullback from a team like Real Madrid, nor would you buy Baines, who plays 90 minutes of every game, if you just planned on benching them.

faridmon

Maybe they should just have overpaid though. Or gotten Cuntreao, with a decent bid. Instead they dicked around being incompetent clown and ending up spending more on Fellatio than they had to, which they apparenlty didn't care much about.

Everton were quite adamant to keep Baines, overpaying for a LB that they though was worth £12 was never going to happen, and frankly even if they had, it would only be a short term solution since Man United to, infact, have to inject fresh blood and as I said, 29 is not a good number when you look on who to fork £23m+
At the time, Felli looked the better buy for them, dicking around it or not. He was 25, at his prime, experienced enough, have a lot of international experience, Strong, technical and loved by the manager. He also handed in his transfer request. So anyone who didn't/don't see the point is just deluded. He was the perfect coup.

Yes, Man U dicked aroudn, payed more, bla bla, but its was a good business for both clubs and one that actually made sense in aworld where we have Bale, Eto.o'o, 14 new Sunderland players amongs others

I think that is a fair price for the best player in the league in his position and such a huge part of Everton. As for the age argument, Van Persie was 29 when you signed him. At some point you just have to look past that if the quality is of a certain amount.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the unwillingness to sell was partly due to insulting bids, if United had made a more reasonable offer then perhaps they might have came round. I would've gone very far to sign him as Baines is brilliant

23m+ for a left back is quite daft especially if you have at 29. Van Parsie is natural goal scorer and one that could win you leagues and titles, would a left back win you titles single handily?

Clegg

I'm not arguing with you on that part. Baines is worth overpaying for. But United obviously didn't feel that way. You're being unfair on Fellaini I think. We wanted both but didn't get one of them. It's a bit too early to be saying we should have gotten one instead of the other especially since Fellaini has had two good game and one bad one.

faridmon

If we based on what Moyes (when he was at Everton) though of players if he attempted to buy several players in the same position, I would have to tell you that all my players are quite poor and unliked by him.

Jarnet87

tumblr_inline_monmeoY4XF1qz4rgp.gif

This is me every weekend so far of the Moyes era when I see the team sheet. Moyes just sucking the penor of the English players and being a good little boy not trying to change what master Fergie did. If Kagawa and Nani don't get a start this week in the league cup I'm going to cry.

In before Giggs gets a starting spot. BRB 40 year old man in the third round of the League Cup.

Salvadora

23m+ for a left back is quite daft especially if you have at 29. Van Parsie is natural goal scorer and one that could win you leagues and titles, would a left back win you titles single handily?
I think for most clubs, sure, but United are not most clubs. Their revenue is off the charts. They shouldn't be adverse to spending a little more on a player if he is quality and needed, it's the nature of doing business.

Evra is a liability who gives acres of space to the opposing team in every match. As such, it doesn't surprise me to see United's wingers tracking back so often. They don't have a choice.
I'm not arguing with you on that part. Baines is worth overpaying for. But United obviously didn't feel that way. You're being unfair on Fellaini I think. We wanted both but didn't get one of them. It's a bit too early to be saying we should have gotten one instead of the other especially since Fellaini has had two good game and one bad one.
I'm being a tad unfair on Fellaini I know, but I just looked at him yesterday and wondered what his job was and why he was on the pitch. And then looked around the pitch and wondered why money wasn't spent elsewhere (where it was sorely needed),

faridmon

I'd like to think that Fellaini made it happen so he could for more expensive fee due to him caring about us for getting the money.

/day-dream

Clegg

If we based on what Moyes (when he was at Everton) though of players if he attempted to buy several players in the same position, I would have to tell you that all my players are quite poor and unliked by him.

It's about improving on what you have. Moyes obviously felt he could improve his starting 11 and the squad if he brought in X player for Everton. It's the same story at United. He wasn't happy with the midfield which is why he went for Febregas(lol), Herrera and Fellaini. It's the same story with the left back position.

Clegg

I'm being a tad unfair on Fellaini I know, but I just looked at him yesterday and wondered what his job was and why he was on the pitch. And then looked around the pitch and wondered why money wasn't spent elsewhere (where it was sorely needed),
I wondered that about the whole team yesterday bar De Gea, Vidic and Rooney. He played poorly but so did most of our team. It's clear that we needed midfield reinforcements so we bought him to strengthen our midfield. The City game showed that our tactics weren't up to snuff and that the players needed a kick up the hole. Fellaini and Carrick both played deep and took up each others space. The management should have seen this and changed things quicker.

My Mum came back from France and bought me the biggest bag of Haribo I've ever seen. Makes all those birthday presents worthwhile :p

Does Rossi still have a future at an elite club, or is he just too injury-prone? Done great for Fiorentina so far apparently

WJD

An attacking 3 of Nani, Kagawa and Januzaj on Wednesday would be an absolute dream but we all know at least one of Giggs, Valencia and Young will be there stinking the place up.

Meier

http://i.minus.com/itlyGWmvpsAWO.gif[img]

Such a fantastic captain!

Also I like that about Navas, always look up several times, never a cross blindy.[/QUOTE]
Yes! I was gonna make a shitty gif of this if one wasn't available. That was such an awesome moment. Honestly can't even fathom how the players were feeling.

[quote="Carbonox, post: 83270513"]Dexter loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

The journey is finally over.[/QUOTE]
Fuck me it was terrible. I read an interview with one of the producers this morning and it made me kinda sad. They apparently had this ending mapped out for at least 2 years. 2 years of planning for that shitshow.. unbelievable.

[quote="Zabojnik, post: 83271693"][B]Juventus 2 - 1 Verona[/B]

Tevez goal (Bonucci with another assist!)
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ib2G2vvpkZAkRi.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Great, great goal. Glad he is playing well for you guys. That second double woodwork goal is painful. He scored quite a few of those for us (cut inside and fire from outside the box). Fantastic player.

[quote="Salvadora, post: 83283065"]It's early days, but it looks like Baines would've been a better signing than Fellaini.[/QUOTE]
I've said for ages that I think City should sign him. Aleks played well yesterday but Baines would have offered his attacking ability as well as Clichy's defending. Best of both worlds.

[quote="Slizz, post: 83284233"]Exactly.[/QUOTE]
Baines has a full contract left in his legs by the looks of things. £20m or so is nothing in the grand scheme of things for a club like United. If that's what it takes to get a world class upgrade and to get a few years out of him, then you do it. Especially since it clearly worked well for them with RVP.

Clegg

tariq panja &#8207;@tariqpanja 2m

Arsenal results for year ended May 31 2013: Pre-tax profits: £6.7m, down from £36.6m; turnover from football up to £242.8m from £235.3m

Clegg

tariq panja &#8207;@tariqpanja 1m

Arsenal says wages `far the largest and most important area of cost' rose by 7.7% to £154.5 million

Clegg

I think Young has been subbed off for being shit every time he's started a game this season.

Why keep starting him then?

Salvadora

Arsenal have made a before tax profit of £6.7m.

Last year was £36.6m for comparison. The boost in commercial revenue should give us a lift in the immediate future.

Clegg

Swiss Rammble &#8207;@SwissRamble 4m

#AFC 2013 results: cash balances still high £154m (2012 £154m). Gross debt reduced to £247m (2012 £253m). Next highest PL cash: Man Utd £94m
Cash in bank of £94m and we wouldn't pay what Bilbao and Everton wanted for their players.

Highest English revenue: MUFC £363m (2013), CFC £261m (2012), #AFC £243m (2013), MCFC £231m (2012), LFC £189m (2012), THFC £144m (2012).

Make £100m more than any other club in the league and still spend so much less than main title rivals.

Manager

Manager

ip71VRl7o1PMv.gif

Some gifcam magic (or shit really).

Could you re-do the GIF posted before where Navas cross, Nasri scores and Kompany celebrates? Including where Kompany pumps his fists into the ground. The one I posted before was like 6.5mb, too big and not even as good quality as you have there.

Top Bottom