• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT6| Relentless gobbrish

GorillaJu

Conte deserves even more praise and respect after this IMO. he's totally right.

You know the real difference here with him and Paulo Di Canio is that players are desperate to play for Conte because they know they can win under him. He's a good leader. What he did wouldn't be out of character at all with Di Canio.

But moves like this (especially making it public) with hugely respected players like Pirlo are super dangerous for anyone but the very top clubs.

Wilbur

Banned
Mm, and Conte's a proven winner with two seasons of Pirlo playing utterly majestically under him. I agree with him to be honest, unless you're injured you should sit on that bench. It's Conte using his power and authority to being the group closer, make them all feel as they should support one another.

PDC banning anyone but first team coaches speaking to players or whatever the fuck it was is absolutely ludicrous. He seems to be a very good training ground coach, and all accounts say they even bought into the very strict dietary regimes. But it didnt look like it was a warm and welcoming place to work from the sounds of things.

cremino

According to Corriere dello Sport, next Milan matches against Bologna, Samp, Juve and Ajax will be decisive for Allegri. In the case of negative results, Allegri will be fired and Inzaghi will be the new Milan coach

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Talking about Conte and what happened with Pirlo. Apparently in today conference Conte said that if any player that is subsituted doesn't stay on the bench to watch his teammates, he will be banned from the team for 1 month. wow

Fuck yes. No room for drama queens.

Although I understand Beardlo's frustration. Jorginho's ONLY job was marking him.

Manager

So Rodwell is injured again apparently (not sure how serious it is). Shocking stuff.

He was injured at the derby, told Phil Neville he'll be back this week. Pointed towards one of his ankles/feet.

I'd start Evans ahead of Rio right now. Don't think Jones and Smalling are ready to become regulars for us.

When Rio and Vidic are gone we'll have to buy a new defender anyway. You can't compete for the league with only 3 central defenders. Whether that signing is a starter or squad cover depends on how well Smalling and Jones do.

Alright, guess you're right, we'll have to see.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
inFjRPnbteZ2w.gif

BU78gxXCYAA2mmU.jpg

According to Corriere dello Sport, next Milan matches against Bologna, Samp, Juve and Ajax will be decisive for Allegri. In the case of negative results, Allegri will be fired and Inzaghi will be the new Milan coach

They are so bipolar that I can see them winning all those games or losing them all. With the exception of Juve, I hope they win all those games.

I would really worry about Inzaghi as a coach. The only thing the guy did was hang around offside. Does he know anything about tactics????

I would love to see Maldini on the bench. In fact the club should be changed to AC Maldini

GorillaJu

Fuck yes. No room for drama queens.

Although I understand Beardlo's frustration. Jorginho's ONLY job was marking him.

I still want Jorginho at Liverpool and I'm disappointed we didn't nab him as back-up for Lucas, after being linked in several places. Has he been good so far this season?

Honestly, it may be true but there is clearly no love lost between Mourinho and Spaniards. I don't think it's a coincidence that Mata and Azpilicueta are never playing and Torres is also on the fringe. I would take things the Spanish press say with a grain of salt at this point.

I think this is Diego Torres' book Sid Lowe was talking about. I'm sure someone will translate the article soon because there's some interesting stuff in there.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I still want Jorginho at Liverpool and I'm disappointed we didn't nab him as back-up for Lucas, after being linked in several places. Has he been good so far this season?

I have no idea to be honest, but he came close to scoring once and obviously frustrated the fuck out of Pirlo.
KuGsj.gif

He'd make a decent back-up, yeah.

Manager

I knew there was a reason we shipped him out. lovely guy, but he doesn't know how to take care and get fit.

He was fantastic at the end of last season and he's been fit all summer I believe. Hopefully this is just a small niggle.

(... I'll keep telling myself the next couple of years)

Meier

He was fantastic at the end of last season and he's been fit all summer I believe. Hopefully this is just a small niggle.

(... I'll keep telling myself the next couple of years)

If he's fit, he's a perfect deputy for Ferna and Yaya. Offers very similar capabilities (although not quite at the same level necessarily) when healthy. Keeping my fingers crossed. He could be a key player for England if he can stay healthy.

faridmon

(... I'll keep telling myself for the next couple of years)

The moment he remain fit, means that he is not playing up to his potential, the moment he plays well and start doing things is when he injures himself. Apparently, he doesn't have self control and Moyes kept ordering him to pass sideways in order to take things at a slower pace. That never went well with the fans, because he was doing an appalling job at it, but he just can't be patient for him to heal his tears and injuries.

Honestly, a year in the U21 could do him good, but Man City, nor him (and the fans) won't have the patience and hence will further get injured.

GorillaJu

I think Rodwell's injury problems will subside as he ages a little bit. Think his body mass just kind of outgrew his frame, if that makes sense. Lots of really big guys around his age are injury prone - Andy Carroll, for example.

Good managers do two things. They place their best players in positions and situations where they can exact maximum damage on the opposition. And they have a multiplier effect on their teams, making them greater than the sum of their parts. On Sunday, that's exactly what Pellegrini did.

Just read that from Gab Marcotti. I feel it is pot on. I think it is why Jose, SAF and Conte are great managers and why Wenger has been a bum the last few years. the shape of his teams havent changed in years and are always the same regardless of the opposition. I also dont feel he the multiplier effec. Looking at him on the sideline just as a fan makes me feel he has lost the plot and is a clown. I would hate to thing what the players feel.

Manager

If he's fit, he's a perfect deputy for Ferna and Yaya. Offers very similar capabilities (although not quite at the same level necessarily) when healthy. Keeping my fingers crossed. He could be a key player for England if he can stay healthy.

Fernandinho has played a bit behind Yaya lately, so I guess we could see Rodwell as a replacement for Yaya and Javi for Fernandinho. Pellegrini tried to let Yaya and Fernan both have "free" def/attacking roles in the beginning, but it didn't seem to work (both ran everywhere) and Fernan had to go defense. I can see Fernandinho going offense if Yaya is injured, I can't see Yaya as the defensive one though.

The moment he remain fit, means that he is not playing up to his potential, the moment he plays well and start doing things is when he injures himself. Apparently, he doesn't have self control and Moyes kept ordering him to pass sideways in order to take things at a slower pace. That never went well with the fans, because he was doing an appalling job at it, but he just can't be patient for him to heal his tears and injuries.

Honestly, a year in the U21 could do him good, but Man City, nor him (and the fans) won't have the patience and hence will further get injured.

He's a bit like a stranger, or a new buy maybe, because he's played so little. Had no idea about that.

Wilbur

Banned
Just read that from Gab Marcotti. I feel it is pot on. I think it is why Jose, SAF and Conte are great managers and why Wenger has been a bum the last few years. the shape of his teams havent changed in years and are always the same regardless of the opposition. I also dont feel he the multiplier effec. Looking at him on the sideline just as a fan makes me feel he has lost the plot and is a clown. I would hate to thing what the players feel.

Wenger definitely has the multiplier effect, come on. He's the main reason they're getting to fourth every year with a relatively weak squad and a huge injury list. Best manager in the league, and one of the very top in the world.

faridmon

I think Rodwell's injury problems will subside as he ages a little bit. Think his body mass just kind of outgrew his frame, if that makes sense. Lots of really big guys around his age are injury prone - Andy Carroll, for example.

Hmm, that could very well be. I really don't know how a mass index could have an effect on an injury, but Rodwell doesn't appear to be abnormal in his build. But that could very well be the case.

He's a bit like a stranger, or a new buy maybe, because he's played so little. Had no idea about that.

Maybe, as odd have pointed it out; he could be fitter the more he ages, but will Man City have the patient until then?

I like you, farid-san, but you're wrong. Dead wrong!

Sorry mate, Nothing beats Digestive. Certainly not Hobnosbs. eugh...

Meier

Fernandinho has played a bit behind Yaya lately, so I guess we could see Rodwell as a replacement for Yaya and Javi for Fernandinho. Pellegrini tried to let Yaya and Fernan both have "free" def/attacking roles in the beginning, but it didn't seem to work (both ran everywhere) and Fernan had to go defense. I can see Fernandinho going offense if Yaya is injured, I can't see Yaya as the defensive one though.

Agreed. Jack really flourished in that attacking role at the end of last season.. struggled early on with some defensive blunders which I think really hurt his confidence. When he's given some room to get forward, he looks more comfortable.

The less we have to play Javi, the better.. so if it means fewer forward runs for Fernandinho so that he stays fit, I'm all for it. :lol

Manager

Hmm, that could very well be. I really don't know how a mass index could have an effect on an injury, but Rodwell doesn't appear to be abnormal in his build. But that could very well be the case.

His shoulders are insane, always been a monster.

2007, aged 16:
Jack%20Rodwell%20posing.jpg

2010:
2501755587-06072010040029.jpg

b46e85ca408209395f9eb111a9948683.jpg

Wenger definitely has the multiplier effect, come on. He's the main reason they're getting to fourth every year with a relatively weak squad and a huge injury list. Best manager in the league, and one of the very top in the world.

It has been mainly down to luck of other teams fucking up and last year a change in mindset down the stretch.

When things go to shit he acts like a baby when a cool head is required. Watching some games it feels like he has a negative impact on the team. Also it does not seem a coincidence that apart from Bergkamp and Pires, who was forced out, every player has walked away from Wenger. He has not been a manager that inspires much loyalty.

Edit: i really do not know where I rate him anymore compared to other managers. I really think he would be destroyed by most managers in Italy.

Timurid

It has been mainly down to luck of other teams fucking up and last year a change in mindset down the stretch.

When things go to shit he acts like a baby when a cool head is required. Watching some games it feels like he has a negative impact on the team. Also it does not seem a coincidence that apart from Bergkamp and Pires, who was forced out, every player has walked away from Wenger. He has not been a manager that inspires much loyalty.

Edit: i really do not know where I rate him anymore compared to other managers. I really think he would be destroyed by most managers in Italy.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

omgkitty

LOL wut?

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Not really, Wenger is not a very tactically strong manager. He does not change his lineup or shape of the team to better deal with other teams. Since Henry has left Wenger has only ever really played with a lone striker.

in Italy coaches are always changing formations and using players they feel strengthen their teams against certain oppositions.

I feel if Conte was manager of Arsenal we would have won the league with any of our squads since Ronaldo left Manchester.

Wilbur

Banned

Are you serious hahahaha

Come on. Conte and Benitez are the only two that approach his level. Guidolin, Montelli, Mazzarri and Garcia are also fine coaches, but there are very little managers as good as Wenger when you compare high points. He has an awful lot of flaws and is often a contributor to Arsenal sucking shit, but they'd be far worse off if he wasn't there.

Every single player has turned their back on him. We have lost every captain since Adams retired, even Gallas did not want to stick around. He made Pires and Overmars superstars and they walked away very quickly. Not many players have shown great loyalty to Wenger. Since he took over how many players have stuck around for 10 years???

justjohn

Every single player has turned their back on him. We have lost every captain since Adams retired, even Gallas did not want to stick around. He made Pires and Overmars superstars and they walked away very quickly. Not many players have shown great loyalty to Wenger. Since he took over how many players have stuck around for 10 years???
Thats not really fair. Most of them left for bigger clubs or to seek new challenges elsewhere after spending years at arsenal. Why should they be loyal to wenger anyway? Its a short career and you should do what's best for you.

Are you serious hahahaha

Come on. Conte and Benitez are the only two that approach his level. Guidolin, Montelli, Mazzarri and Garcia are also fine coaches, but there are very little managers as good as Wenger when you compare high points. He has an awful lot of flaws and is often a contributor to Arsenal sucking shit, but they'd be far worse off if he wasn't there.

Depends what you want. If you are going to build teams then Wenger is a better option. I just think managers in Italy would figure him out very quickly and theere would be a lot of draws.

Garcia is the coach I am most interested in this year. He has had a great start and i loved his quote about "it is our job to win derbies" It is that type of stuff that inspires players and fanbases.

Thats not really fair. Most of them left for bigger clubs or to seek new challenges elsewhere after spending years at arsenal. Why should they be loyal to wenger anyway? Its a short career and you should do what's best for you.

Because many of those players are players he picked out and nurtured and stuck with through all the tough times.

If a player like Song does not want to stay loyal than I do not know who will. He was a player Wenger found and stuck when when everyone was giving him abuse. Than the first time a club comes calling, he jumps ship to Barca to warm their bench.
Although he had a great game at the weekend.

I understand the desire to win things, but we had players leaving when we were still winning things.

Edit: you also have RVP a player who said he would never leave to go to an English rival, but he just did not feel Wenger was taking the club in a direction to win trophies.

Wilbur

Banned
Because many of those players are players he picked out and nurtured and stuck with through all the tough times.

If a player like Song does not want to stay loyal than I do not know who will. He was a player Wenger found and stuck when when everyone was giving him abuse. Than the first time a club comes calling, he jumps ship to Barca to warm their bench.
Although he had a great game at the weekend.

I understand the desire to win things, but we had players leaving when we were still winning things.

He went to Barca. He didn't leave Arsenal for a shitty side, or it wasn't a sideways move. He went to arguably the best side in the world, you know? Same with Fabregas.

RVP went to a side with a manager who was one of the only ones better than Wenger, and were in an instant position to win the league.

I think Wenger is very flawed at times, but he's certainly a far bigger plus for Arsenal than a minus.

Top Bottom