• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT6| Relentless gobbrish

rvy

Banned
Rofl. I think it would actually be funny to look throughout most games to find a Portuguese in the cast of characters.

C'mon, there must be a guy with seven names, even just for the lolz !

I only have 4 names. I blame it on my Italian ancestry.

Kenka

Bad? BAD? BAD?

You've gone too far, Kenka. You've gone too far. No one is gonna call Fighters Destiny bad on my watch.

Never managed to unlock the Joker, fuck that 100 fighters survival mode.
I admit, lackluster would be a better description. Everything was generic about the game except the gameplay which sucked me in for hours. I should also mention this was helped by the fact that it was the only 3D fighter game on N64 and it didn't bring much that wasn't present in Battle Arena Toshiden.

Wilbur

Banned
Happy birthday True Blue!

And that's a great post Walshy. There's an interview with Roberto Martinez on the Guardian where he pretty much says the same thing.

man, i watched The Faculty. so fuckin 90s.

i saw Vin Diesel sister from FF, Frodo, Jon Stewart, Phoenix, Salma Hayek, the dude from Pearl Harbor, the mother from Carrie, Shooter McGavin, Usher and the T-1000.

rvy

Banned
Yurt, baby. Schettini is a common name around Napoli, correct? Just checking if my father bullshitted me on my ancestry.

rvy

Banned
Is it kosher to try a guessing game ? I'd go with José Manuel Fonseca Gomes Schettini.

Hah.

Funny.

No. First Name is Rui. Third name is a huge part of Portuguese history, so take your best guess.

Last name I'm not giving :p

But I never inherited the Schettini part, my grandfather's father was called Schettini. He came to Portugal in this 20s. My grandather was called Esquetim because of it.

What's your PSN?

Shkashi

i got 4 names too, rvy.

#4namesbrothers

You're a good man!

Roman too?

paging Lele and GabrielKnight

Am I in deep shit?

Why? I don't understand. Is all this over a little loss of form during the last few months of last season, or something personal?

No one really knows. All I know is that I've concluded that Allegri is a horrible human being.

And that El Sha will definitely be sold either in the winter or next summer.

Zabojnik

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss andres. Sviato too.

Fuck this guy. El Sha is now behind Binho and Matri, our fourth-choice striker. Allegri is such a piece of shit.

Well, I mean, you are playing against Torino ... Matri will score a hattrick.

Yurt, baby. Schettini is a common name around Napoli, correct? Just checking if my father bullshitted me on my ancestry.

Not the most popular name, but still quite common.

Esposito 13768
Schettini 820

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I never thought I'd say this, but I miss andres. Sviato too.

Well, I mean, you are playing against Torino ... Matri will score a hattrick.

Not the most popular name, but still quite common.

Esposito 13768
Schettini 820
Sviatoslav is cool. When is he coming back again?

Kenka

Hah.

Funny.

No. First Name is Rui. Third name is a huge part of Portuguese history, so take your best guess.

Last name I'm not giving :p

But I never inherited the Schettini part, my grandfather's father was called Schettini. He came to Portugal in this 20s. My grandather was called Esquetim because of it.
Last attempt !
I'll go with Rui Pedro da Gama Espinha <3

Interesting, so immigrants used to "portuguese" their names when they were moving in ? Sounds similar to the patronym americanization of the former US inhabitants.

jesus christ, Hitcher, i just asked the name.

now you'll eternally reign in my nightmares if i ever sleep again.

welcome to #4namesbrothers, Souza

GorillaJu

Fightersl destiny and i loved it that game.

Fighter's Destiny was fucking awesome. The constant reversals and point-based win system was unique – it's a similar execution to Bushido Blade (focus on timing and single-move KOs) but way, way better.

Btw Bushido Blade is shit for everything but atmosphere and graphics. One of those games people look back on fondly for god knows what reason.

rvy

Banned
Read it and weep, bitches

Not sure its wise to post that, but what's the worse that could happen?

Damn. That's pretty awesome actually, I never figured you'd have a Portuguese name as your last. It must suck having people call you Sosa as opposed to Sou-za.

Rui Pedro Salazar Espinha <3

ronaldo-laugh-cristiaqjsg2.gif

I love the story about how the italian expression "don't be a Portuguese" came to be.

I'm not sure I know this story or that I'll like it.

Manager

Italy bros, is it true that Parma has 226 a-squad members? Scandinavian newspapers claim so, and that they have hundreds out on loan. Wtf

edit
See below

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Tickets for our CL matches sold out in 30 mins. Guys at the front of the queue got there at 3am last night and it hasn't stopped raining (lol Celtic / Juve half and half scarf).

BUB8O_MCAAA7m0S.jpg:small

BUB5_2OIgAAC6Tr.jpg:small

Kenka

Happy b-day TrueBlue and ok nerds, I will play Destiny Fighters later this weekend to see if my stance on it can change and I will open an RTTP thread on GAF. You never asked for it, I know.

Damn. That's pretty awesome actually, I never figured you'd have a Portuguese name as your last. It must suck having people call you Sosa as opposed to Sou-za.

I'm not sure I know this story or that I'll like it.

Nah, most have heard the name D'Souza, the only confusion reallty is whether its an apostrophe or De Souza when saying it over the phone. People always say Simmons instead of Simons though, but you get used to it :p

I should really try and track down my family tree since it must be pretty convuluted, but not today :D

Any football tonight?

faridmon

Happy b-day TrueBlue and ok nerds, I will play Destiny Fighter s later this weekend to see if my stance on it can change and I will open an RTTP thread on GAF. You never asked for it, I know.
It hasnt aged well but the star system and the combo system was amazing and quite innovative. Pick the chinese lady and practice her combo for the finishers.

Bloody great game it was

Manager

Italy bros, is it true that Parma has 226 a-squad members? Scandinavian newspapers claim so, and that they have hundreds out on loan. Wtf

Apparently:
http://www.*****************/sport/...market-like-cattle-market--Martin-Samuel.html

wttttffff

For those with internet access and a little time on their hands this morning, here is an interesting exercise. Go on to the Wikipedia website and type in the name of the Italian football club Parma FC. Click on the entry that says &#8216;Players&#8217; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parma_F.C.#First-team_squad . You should now be looking at a sub-heading: &#8216;First team squad&#8217;. There are 30 names.
Hit page down. Hit page down. Hit page down. Hit page down. Hit page down. Hit page down.

That should do it. For those without a web connection, an explanation. Beneath the list of 30 first-team squad members is another section, &#8216;Out on loan&#8217;. That contains 109 names. This is followed by Parma players at Gubbio, a Serie C1 nursery club. And 16 more names. Then Gorica, a second nursery operation, playing in Slovenia&#8217;s PrvaLiga, and a further 22 names.

The next heading is the mystifying &#8216;Players with contracts&#8217; but, we presume, no club and a list of five unfortunates. Finally there are the Parma players &#8216;Co-owned at other clubs&#8217; in which an additional 44 names appear.

In all, there are 226 players listed as playing for, or having affiliation to, Parma. And this does not include the academy.

Parma have had what might be termed a busy old summer. An Italian newspaper, La Repubblica, calculated that more than 300 transactions had taken place at a minimal cost of roughly £5.5million.
Parma have no money, but they do have a plan. They collect players and place them with rivals to develop. Nursery clubs, trading partners.

If it works, they take the dividend; if it does not, nothing is lost. It is the ultimate shift from transfer market to cattle market. The club figure that, if just 30 per cent of the herd progress, the project is a triumph. And for the 70 per cent discarded? Well, what were they anyway? Names, numbers. A list on a website.

I remember this being mentioned with Udinese and Watford in here.

Top Bottom