• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT6| Relentless gobbrish

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
tumblr_mt2fav0htH1qevds0o4_500.jpg

Anelka is stuck to his Beats.
Shaka Hislop's power rankings:

1. Real Madrid
2. Bayern
3. Chelsea
4. Juventus
5. Barcelona
6. Manchester City
7. Manchester United
8. Paris Saint-Germain
9. Liverpool
10. Dortmund

SBvarB8.gif

You know

I'm just happy to see us back in any fucking (positive) list.

:(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Mazzarri postponed today's Inter-Juve presser because he wants to hear what Conte has to say about it first. That's probably not the official excuse, but knowing good old Walter and his spying ways ...

Someone on one of Juve's forums said it best. "Dio li fa' e poi li accopia." (God makes 'em and then he pairs them.) Inter-Mazzarri is indeed an amazing combination.

What's wrong with this guy?

Which footy-gaf members have actually met eachother, including being related and the like

Wilbury is Freewheelin's brother
Wilbury has met Arnie (I think)
Freewheelin' has gone to a Chelsea game with PrematureQuiche
PrematureQuiche went on holiday to Denmark and stayed with Woodenlung
Messi and deGod are BFFs
Laboured is in a relationship with shortyme
dc89 and Tc91 are brothers

Any more?

Yurt is Yenrot's alt.
deGod is Messi's imaginary roommate.
<3 I kid deGod <3
rvy and Hitcher are blood related to Serie A-GAF
arkon is allegedly Giovinco's PR guy.

Barzul

I hope Özil starts, he needs to hit the ground running. No coddling. He's a professional and our highest paid player to boot, needs to prove his transfer fee (He will). It's a shame Mertesacker didn't travel at least this gives Vermaelen a shot at redemption.

This doens't change the substance... Dortmund is ahead of both teams

It's arguable which club is better. Dortmund were impressive in Europe while United were impressive in the league. Waaaay different from Liverpool, the champions of face touching and leaning on objects.

Yen

What's wrong with this guy?

Yurt is Yenrot's alt.
deGod is Messi's imaginary roommate.
<3 I kid deGod <3
rvy and Hitcher are blood related to Serie A-GAF
arkon is allegedly Giovinco's PR guy.
Wrong. Yenrot is Yurt's alt

omgkitty

I hope Özil starts, he needs to hit the ground running. No coddling. He's a professional and our highest paid player to boot, needs to prove his transfer fee (He will). It's a shame Mertesacker didn't travel at least this gives Vermaelen a shot at redemption.

If he's been sick, he shouldn't be starting. How will we even line up?

--------------Giroud------------------
-----------------------------------------
---Santi----Ramsey---Walcott
------Wilshere------Flamini-----
Gibbs--Kosc----Sagna---Jenk
----------------Szcz-----------------

I guess that could work. Don't really have any other options seeing as how all of our wide players are hurt and so is half our midfield. No reason to stay home now. Guess I'll go play instead.

Lightning

Banned
Isco is younger than Ozil, as good of a player, more attractive and therefore far more marketable and he's Spanish. No surprise they'd want to accommodate him. Our hopes of getting him in a year or two are dashed at this point. :(
I don't understand how Isco can be considered as good as Ozil when Ozil has over 20 assists a season consistently over the last 5 seasons. Isco has not achieved such consistently although the potential is there.

No Mertesacker for Sunderland? Oh boy...

A very talented young German midfielder playing for BVB signed a new contract until 2018 without a release clause.

It's Jonas Hofmann.

Get bent, Ilkay

I don't understand how Isco can be considered as good as Ozil when Ozil has over 20 assists a season consistently over the last 5 seasons. Isco has not achieved such consistently although the potential is there.

I don't understand that, either, Isco is better.

Salvadora

He's only had one training session + may not be 100%.

Times like these we could be doing with Arteta & Rosicky being fit. It's so disheartening to be this early in the season and be ravaged by injury/sickness. We're probably top of the injury table by now (and certainly have the most out of the big clubs).

Barzul

Really interesting analysis! Thanks for putting the work in.

I’m amazed that we can all readily access stats about how far players run, how many accurate passes they make and what their average position on the pitch is. But we can’t see just how much time they spend on the treatment table. Another good measure (which I think I’ve seen used in US sports) is to look at the wage bill sitting on the “disabled list”. Given the amount of time our best (and presumably best paid) players (Cesc and RVP) have spent out injured in the past I suspect we’d lead that ranking too!

I was also frustrated with what I perceived to be fragility in our team. However, without any meaningful stats people dismiss your complaints as excuse making and whingeing. So I did some analysis of my own a year or two ago. This is what I found.

My theory – the team with the most “stable” spine (i.e. the spine that plays the most number of league matches) will be the most successful. For the purposes of my analysis I assumed the spine to consist of the best central defender, central midfielder and a forward.

My analysis – From season 01/02 to 12/13 I looked at the number of league games played by each member of the spine of Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool and Manchester City (from 10/11 onwards only).

I have made a very judgmental decision as to who is in the spine. In some teams and seasons it is very easy, for example Terry-Lampard-Drogba or Carragher-Gerrard-Torres pick themselves, in other cases it is not so simple.

By compiling everyone’s appearances I calculated an average number of games played by each member of a team’s spine. So for example a team average of 38 would mean that all three members of a team’s spine had played in every single match in the league.

The results – What I found was very interesting.

1. In 10 of the 12 years I’ve looked at the team with the highest spine average (i.e. the most stable spine) has won the league. The exceptions to this are Chelsea in 02/03 (although this is inflated because of Lampard and Terry being virtually indestructible in those days and playing every game) and Liverpool in 12/13 (Agger, Gerrard and Suarez played a lot of games last season although it could be argued that their spine is no longer to the same standard as other teams so shouldn’t be included in the analysis)

2. NO team in the 12 years that my analysis covers has won the league with a spine average of less than 32.

3. The last team Arsenal had a spine average above the magic threshold of 32 was in 04/05 – which is of course the last time we won a trophy.

4. In 4 of the 7 years since 04/05 Arsenal have had the lowest spine average amongst the teams I’ve analysed. In 10/11 we had a spine average of just 18 and in 11/12 that improved slightly to 22 but it is still well short of everyone else.

5. Just to highlight the power of the spine – in 08/09 Liverpool had a spine average of 31 and finished second. They were tipped for the title the next season by The Guardian and finished 7th. Their spine average that year collapsed to 17.

This is a comment from the Arsenal injury link http://www.washedup.org/2013/09/09/crystal-ankles-paper-tendons/ thought it was interesting.

Barzul

Lightning pls
But he's right, you can't back up your claim that Isco is better with any metrics that compare the positions the play, this includes assist numbers, goals scored, chances created. You can bring up age that Isco is younger, but then you would arguing his potential to be better. He's not yet, he hasn't proved that.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly40laB8Bf1r8spqqo1_400.jpg[IMG]

I always thought of him as a clean cut guy. [/QUOTE]
Isn't he the guy who kills celebrities for a living?
[quote="Yenrot, post: 81618753"]Wrong. Yenrot is Yurt's alt[/QUOTE]

Haha man am so funny

[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb6qg4zLl11ri08goo1_500.gif

am laughing at me own jokes now

Top Bottom