• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell me this is a joke. What the fuck are the Milan doctors doing these days.

I love you Shazㅠㅠ

Well, what Milan doctors do best. They break players (it actually happened during today's training session).

Yet, around ten years ago there were doctors able to get Cafù, Pancaro, Serginho, Crespo and Inzaghi back to a CL level.

Messi

Well, what Milan doctors do best. They break players (it actually happened during today's training session).

Yet, around ten years ago there were doctors able to get Cafù, Pancaro, Serginho, Crespo and Inzaghi back to a CL level.

You broke Ronaldinho :(

Manager

Ibra is an amzing football player but his latest comments like "I am an Ferrari" are so out of this world...

Didn't Pep put Messi in the middle and tried to turn Ibra into a winger?

I guess he could mean that he's a raw powerhouse, while Pep wanted him to be a tricky winger, which he'll never be. I read his book a couple years ago, think he mentioned the Ferrari thing in there.

Walshy

Our midfield was dogshit on Sunday. Henderson needs a rest and is okay at a wingback. Lucas needs a rest aswell as having cover for his position. Gerrard isn't fit enough to play every week anymore.

I really hope when Allen comes back that he replicates his form when he first joined. He was exceptional, we really miss his possession play in the midfield. Would love to see him and a fully fit Lucas in a few games this season.

Manager

Yeah and it was the right decision as Messi became GOAT

But you bought one of the best strikers in the world for insane amount of money, 190+cm tall... to play in the wing role? I mean it has never been his strengths, at all, to be on the wings. He's always been in the middle, though he's an excellent passer and wouldn't have any trouble as AM/SS (which he plays in the Swedish national team). But wings?! I can see why he's pissed off, he was basically in his prime too.

Fuck, they better not fuck him up. If he stays healthy I really do think he is the Italian answer to Messi/Ronaldo.

Milan should have never bought Mario. Ever since he came Shaz has had nothing but bad luckㅠㅠ

GorillaJu

Our midfield was dogshit on Sunday. Henderson needs a rest and is okay at a wingback. Lucas needs a rest aswell as having cover for his position. Gerrard isn't fit enough to play every week anymore.

I really hope when Allen comes back that he replicates his form when he first joined. He was exceptional, we really miss his possession play in the midfield. Would love to see him and a fully fit Lucas in a few games this season.

I wonder if Allen would be a good fit for 3-5-2

If I think about it, it sounds nice, but anything sounds good if you convince yourself on it. One of Allen's problems before when he fell out of form was that he likes to play the ball short and run in tight spaces, but the team maybe relied on him too much to pick up the ball and move the play forward, leaving him isolated and overrun. If we had our wingback coming in to open up the angles and give Allen an easy option to play to, he'd be a more solid midfield recycler of the ball.

jordisok

His philisophy was to build a kids but he finally gave up after the 8-2. Thus wenger failed with his philosoohy of winning with a young team that he could groom. That experiment was a complete and utter failure.

The board have been open to soending for some time. Wenger has felt he did not need the money.

Ozil is a prime example of what a mess Wenger has become. He had always wanted Ozil but was not willing to spend the money when we was at Schalke and Werder. Finally Wenger realised he was going to have a mutiny on his hands so he finally gets Ozil at 30million more than what he could have 4 years ago.

And everyone says whay a great buy.

Nope, Wenger's "philosophy" has only strengthened in recent years. There's a reason that players like Gervinho have not been replaced this year (Ryo/Gnabry instead) and that Wilshere/Ramsey/Jenkinson/Chamberlain are all first team squad members. Our young teams have always been down to a mixture of a genuine desire to bring through young players and the financial limitations we were under making marquee signings difficult.

We have always had SOME money to spend, we spent around £40m the last 2 seasons before this one, however this was on multiple players (and offset by sales) and contrary to what every moron believes having £200m cash balance doesn't mean that's all available to transfers. You're kidding yourself if you think Arsene Wenger wouldn't have liked to spend big on worldy players every season and challenge for everything - that's what ANYONE would want.

Ignoring everything I just wrote, we (as fans) have no idea what goes on between the board and the manager and yet you've come to the conclusion that it's all the fault of one man?!

Walshy

If I think about it, it sounds nice, but anything sounds good if you convince yourself on it. One of Allen's problems before when he fell out of form was that he likes to play the ball short and run in tight spaces, but the team maybe relied on him too much to pick up the ball and move the play forward. If we had our wingback coming in to open up the angles and give Allen an easy option to play to, he'd be a more solid midfield recycler of the ball.
I think he would of been alot better to what Gerrard and Lucas have provided in midfield lately. I know i'm nitpicking but I feel they were really poor against both Sunderland and United. Lucasgave too much space to the Sunderland player before their goal yesterday.
Gerrard lost the ball and gave away a corner against United and the usual Enrique brainfart gave them their goal. It's simple mistakes which if we cut out we will be a very good team.

Allen was quality in his first few months, but as the squad was so threadbare, he had to carry an injury for long peirods of last season - coincidentally when his form began to dip. There is a real good player in there. A middle three of Allen Lucas and Alberto would be good to watch. Shame we aren't in the Europa this year, players like Alberto could of really used the minutes.

Messi

But you bought one of the best strikers in the world for insane amount of money, 190+cm tall... to play in the wing role? I mean it has never been his strengths, at all, to be on the wings. He's always been in the middle, though he's an excellent passer and wouldn't have any trouble as AM/SS (which he plays in the Swedish national team). But wings?! I can see why he's pissed off, he was basically in his prime too.

Yep. It was a mistake. But in the end pep made the right call because Messi in that position is better than Ibra.

GorillaJu

I think he would of been alot better to what Gerrard and Lucas have provided in midfield lately. I know i'm nitpicking but I feel they were really poor against both Sunderland and United. Lucasgave too much space to the Sunderland player before their goal yesterday.
Gerrard lost the ball and gave away a corner against United and the usual Enrique brainfart gave them their goal. It's simple mistakes which if we cut out we will be a very good team.

Allen was quality in his first few months, but as the squad was so threadbare, he had to carry an injury for long peirods of last season - coincidentally when his form began to dip. There is a real good player in there. A middle three of Allen Lucas and Alberto would be good to watch. Shame we aren't in the Europa this year, players like Alberto could of really used the minutes.

I pretty much agree with your opinions here. Sunderland aren't a terrible team - Johnson and Giac are both skillfull and they've found plenty of space against other teams but have just lacked the final ball. As good as one may be, you aren't going to keep out every single attack, ever. Gerrard and Lucas have been sluggish, but the reactions here to our performance are overly harsh compared with what I saw watching the game.

That said I would like to see things get changed up a bit but won't be disappointed if Rodgers wants to persist. Alberto will get some time eventually I have no question in my mind. He would have known coming in this season that he won't be top of the pecking order, and that he's been bought with the years in ahead of him in mind, not just this season.

Feorax

I would like to see us go with 4-2-3-1 again against Palace if I'm honest. I think 3 CBs at home against a team like Palace is something of an overkill.

I'd go with a back 4 of Kelly, Sakho, Toure and Enrique, with Hendo and Gerrard in midfield. I'd probably play Suarez behind Sturridge, with Moses and Sterling out wide.

GorillaJu

I would like to see us go with 4-2-3-1 again against Palace if I'm honest. I think 3 CBs at home against a team like Palace is something of an overkill.

I'd go with a back 4 of Kelly, Sakho, Toure and Enrique, with Hendo and Gerrard in midfield. I'd probably play Suarez behind Sturridge, with Moses and Sterling out wide.

I think any formation that has Sturridge and Suarez near each other and the opposition goal is a good formation.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

WAIT A MINUTE

Liverpool are 3-5-2 bros now?
3AQmK.gif

Careful, you have to pay monthly royalties to Mazzarri AND he's entitled to a PL medal.

Nope, Wenger's "philosophy" has only strengthened in recent years. There's a reason that players like Gervinho have not been replaced this year (Ryo/Gnabry instead) and that Wilshere/Ramsey/Jenkinson/Chamberlain are all first team squad members. Our young teams have always been down to a mixture of a genuine desire to bring through young players and the financial limitations we were under making marquee signings difficult.

We have always had SOME money to spend, we spent around £40m the last 2 seasons before this one, however this was on multiple players (and offset by sales) and contrary to what every moron believes having £200m cash balance doesn't mean that's all available to transfers. You're kidding yourself if you think Arsene Wenger wouldn't have liked to spend big on worldy players every season and challenge for everything - that's what ANYONE would want.

Ignoring everything I just wrote, we (as fans) have no idea what goes on between the board and the manager and yet you've come to the conclusion that it's all the fault of one man?!

I think that Wenger is highly personal for the decisions made at the club. The club have said for several years that money is there for him to improve the club. However, Wenger has said on multiple occasions that he has not wanted to spend large amounts on single players. Ozil was a desperation buy. I have read numerous articles about are cash balance. I know we were never going to go on a 100million spending spree, but we have never really touched any of it. Always relying on player sales. We have never used any of our cash reserves to strengthen the squad. Yet, we have a wage system that is grossly unfair on the best players and has rewarded mediocrity.

I believe that are CE is not a strong enough figure and allows Wenger to walk all over him. Ivan came out and said we have the money to spend and will improve the squad. Wenger then talks about rooney, but nothing serious. Goes in for Higuain, but then gets cold feet. Was clearly never serious about Suarez with the two pathetic bids. Ozil was a lucky fluke that we managed to sign him when we did. Wenger made Ivan, his boss, look like a little bitch. One of them would have had to go at the season if Ozil had not come. you can not say we have money and will spend it and then your manager doesn't. And you also can not be so far off the same page as your boss as to not listen to him tell you to spend money.

When we had a great core of Nasri, Fabregas, RVP and Ade, Wenger failed to strengthen are squad to enable us to be serious challengers. Had we bought in the likes of Arteta and an experienced defender a few years earlier then we could have been serious title challengers, especially if we had kept Gilberto Silva as club captain.

Instead Wenger made Gallas captain, which was down to him being French(of course that is personal speculation) and it alienated Gilberto and Gallas eventually drove Toure out the club.

Ryo and Gnabry would not even be on the bench if we were fully healthy. Ryo has already quite a bit of first team experience in Holland and other premier league clubs. This is really his last season. Also it is not like Gnabry has forced his way into the team. He is are only option, which is extremely disappointing

Jenkinson and Ramsey were both bought before the 8-2. Since Wenger has realised he needs veterans in his side if he is going to win. Arteta, Cazorla, santos, Monreal, Per, Podolski and I would even consider Ozil a veteran with several years champions league experience and more international success than the whole of the England squad.

I also think that Wenger is highly personal for the decisions made at the club. The club have said for several years that money is there for them

Edit: this has also became a club that has as an institution and a fanbase become reliant on one man. We owe Wenger a lot for his early year, but Arsenal were a big club before him and will be once he leaves. He also owed a great deal to bergkamp and the back five, plus Wright and Parlour that built the core of the team.

We as a club think that without Wenger we would have been in Europa league games and a complete mess. I disagree. If we had a manager who had a desire to win right now. we would have won something years back.

Also I know it has been said a lot before in the press, but Wenger has never been the same since Dean left.

GorillaJu

Been discovering great music thanks to iTunes Radio. Anyone here using it?

I have been using it every day actually. I'm surprised my favorite radio station has been Katy Perry's. She's got a rather varied taste in music. I've listened to the stations more closely aligned with my musical taste (folk, indie, dream pop, etc.) but there's so much derivative junk in indie music that I prefer the more hand-picked quality of the "guest DJ" streams. Occasionally something awesome pops up like Youth Lagoon or Baths on the indie stations, but most of the stuff I'm not already aware of I haven't really liked. Some stuff has been down-right offensively mediocre, like Bass Drum of Death, who are like a shit version of Exploding Hearts, or this band who rip off Interpol, who rip off Joy Division.

WAIT A MINUTE

Liverpool are 3-5-2 bros now?
3AQmK.gif

Careful, you have to pay monthly royalties to Mazzarri AND he's entitled to a PL medal.

Appparently we are :D

jordisok

I think that Wenger is highly personal for the decisions made at the club. The club have said for several years that money is there for him to improve the club. However, Wenger has said on multiple occasions that he has not wanted to spend large amounts on single players. Ozil was a desperation buy. I have read numerous articles about are cash balance. I know we were never going to go on a 100million spending spree, but we have never really touched any of it. Always relying on player sales. We have never used any of our cash reserves to strengthen the squad. Yet, we have a wage system that is grossly unfair on the best players and has rewarded mediocrity.

I believe that are CE is not a strong enough figure and allows Wenger to walk all over him. Ivan came out and said we have the money to spend and will improve the squad. Wenger then talks about rooney, but nothing serious. Goes in for Higuain, but then gets cold feet. Was clearly never serious about Suarez with the two pathetic bids. Ozil was a lucky fluke that we managed to sign him when we did. Wenger made Ivan, his boss, look like a little bitch. One of them would have had to go at the season if Ozil had not come. you can not say we have money and will spend it and then your manager doesn't. And you also can not be so far off the same page as your boss as to not listen to him tell you to spend money.

When we had a great core of Nasri, Fabregas, RVP and Ade, Wenger failed to strengthen are squad to enable us to be serious challengers. Had we bought in the likes of Arteta and an experienced defender a few years earlier then we could have been serious title challengers, especially if we had kept Gilberto Silva as club captain.

Instead Wenger made Gallas captain, which was down to him being French(of course that is personal speculation) and it alienated Gilberto and Gallas eventually drove Toure out the club.

Ryo and Gnabry would not even be on the bench if we were fully healthy. Ryo has already quite a bit of first team experience in Holland and other premier league clubs. This is really his last season. Also it is not like Gnabry has forced his way into the team. He is are only option, which is extremely disappointing

Jenkinson and Ramsey were both bought before the 8-2. Since Wenger has realised he needs veterans in his side if he is going to win. Arteta, Cazorla, santos, Monreal, Per, Podolski and I would even consider Ozil a veteran with several years champions league experience and more international success than the whole of the England squad.

I also think that Wenger is highly personal for the decisions made at the club. The club have said for several years that money is there for them

Edit: this has also became a club that has as an institution and a fanbase become reliant on one man. We owe Wenger a lot for his early year, but Arsenal were a big club before him and will be once he leaves. He also owed a great deal to bergkamp and the back five, plus Wright and Parlour that built the core of the team.

We as a club think that without Wenger we would have been in Europa league games and a complete mess. I disagree. If we had a manager who had a desire to win right now. we would have won something years back.

*shrug* Not sure anything I say is gonna change your mind on Wenger when the dislike is that irrational.

You call Ozil a fluke? When Ozil has come out and stated that Arsene was the dominant factor in his signing for us, you say he panic bought when there were only 2-3 marquee players available for a club like ours this summer and we managed to buy one of the best players in the world.

We are NOW using our cash reserves to strengthen the squad because we're now in a position to do so - is that really so hard to understand. The board have really done a number on some fans, completely absolving themselves of all responsibility. Individual decisions like the Gallas one I agree with, Arsene isn't perfect by any means.

Ryo/Gnabry being our only options are managerial decisions, you may not like them, but it shows Wenger is just as invested in youth as he has always been.

Peco

I am gonna have a quick kip before the parma-viola game. i hope he does not score against us. I am so glad he is back and healthy. hopefully he keeps his great season up and makes us stronger for the World Cup.

If we're lucky and no injuries are in the way we can play with El Shaa - Balotelli - Rossi for the WC.
This could be really good, I just hope Prandellol knows this shit.

Peco

You know I'm kinda ok with that, after all Cerci's way better than Prandelli's boyfriend and he's destined to play for us in the near future.

*shrug* Not sure anything I say is gonna change your mind on Wenger when the dislike is that irrational.

You call Ozil a fluke? When Ozil has come out and stated that Arsene was the dominant factor in his signing for us, you say he panic bought when there were only 2-3 marquee players available for a club like ours this summer and we managed to buy one of the best players in the world.

We are NOW using our cash reserves to strengthen the squad because we're now in a position to do so - is that really so hard to understand. The board have really done a number on some fans, completely absolving themselves of all responsibility. Individual decisions like the Gallas one I agree with, Arsene isn't perfect by any means.

Ryo/Gnabry being our only options are managerial decisions, you may not like them, but it shows Wenger is just as invested in youth as he has always been.

It is not really irrational, peoples blind faith in Arsene is.

We are actually in a "worse" position to splash cash than in recent years because are shocking wage system has reduced our cash reserves. We have been able to strengthen our squad for years. But we did not. All you have to do is look at the figures. Why this was the year we finally did, I can only guess because Wenger knew he was on his way out.

Yes it was a panic buy. The transfer only happened in the last few days. Ozil himself has said a week earlier he expected to be playing for Madrid. Ozil became available and we got him. Had he not become available to us so late then who would we have bought? No one.

I love that we have a world class player, one of the top 10 in the world IMO. But we still had 30 million that went untouched. I would have much rather had we bought Higuain, Strootman, Benatia, We would have strengthened out squad in three key areas.

I like that Ryo/Gnabry are in the team, but they are only playing because of injuries. They are decent 3rd 4th options. But it also speaks about the quality when the first two options are actually Walcott and Ox.

I just think at the end of the day, Wenger would rather be coaching Ajax/Psv. he would much rather have just a team of kids and not have to worry about spending money.

If we're lucky and no injuries are in the way we can play with El Shaa - Balotelli - Rossi for the WC.
This could be really good, I just hope Prandellol knows this shit.

I want Shaz Totti:D Rossi. That front line would win the world cup. Totti is the perfect player to set up Shaz and Rossi. He also can do everything Balo can, but better.

I have said it a few times on here, but Shaz and Balo can not play together. balo is too selfish. He needs the ball at his feet and he either gets fouled and takes a free kick, or he shoots.

http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/mimrrfhxokgtob2vmrk0kw/Show/Player-Focus-Mario-Balotelli-Milans-Super-Lone-Ranger

that article back it up.

GorillaJu

Oh man there's a video of two girls from Japan's idiotic 48-member girl pop group dancing around to Blurred Lines.

My gf sends me this with a rare bit of English:

http://youtu.be/VlwyKjlaxf0
I have no brave to watch it. could you do it for me please?

God I'm cracking up. Robin Thicke must be wondering what the hell we're doing over here when examples of Japanese pop stars are two 18-20 year olds trying their damnedest to act like they're 11. You can tell he can barely stomach saying the "I know you want it" line to them toward the end. Probably feels like a pedo. :lol fuckin AKB. Such an embarrassment.

Oh man there's a video of two girls from Japan's idiotic 48-member girl pop group dancing around to Blurred Lines.

My gf sends me this with a rare bit of English:

http://youtu.be/VlwyKjlaxf0
I have no brave to watch it. could you do it for me please?

God I'm cracking up. Robin Thicke must be wondering what the hell we're doing over here when examples of Japanese pop stars are two 18-20 year olds trying their damnedest to act like they're 11. You can tell he can barely stomach saying the "I know you want it" line to them toward the end. Probably feels like a pedo. :lol fuckin AKB. Such an embarrassment.

So annoying seeing two hot japanese women like them, but the two times i have been I have been let down so much by how dirty they look. To quote the sing "i feel so lucky" to live around hot Korean women everyday

jordisok

It is not really irrational, peoples blind faith in Arsene is.

We are actually in a "worse" position to splash cash than in recent years because are shocking wage system has reduced our cash reserves. We have been able to strengthen our squad for years. But we did not. All you have to do is look at the figures. Why this was the year we finally did, I can only guess because Wenger knew he was on his way out.

Yes it was a panic buy. The transfer only happened in the last few days. Ozil himself has said a week earlier he expected to be playing for Madrid. Ozil became available and we got him. Had he not become available to us so late then who would we have bought? No one.

I love that we have a world class player, one of the top 10 in the world IMO. But we still had 30 million that went untouched. I would have much rather had we bought Higuain, Strootman, Benatia, We would have strengthened out squad in three key areas.

I like that Ryo/Gnabry are in the team, but they are only playing because of injuries. They are decent 3rd 4th options. But it also speaks about the quality when the first two options are actually Walcott and Ox.

I just think at the end of the day, Wenger would rather be coaching Ajax/Psv. he would much rather have just a team of kids and not have to worry about spending money.

We're not in a worse position regarding cash flows - we're about to renew all our sponsorship deals.
http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/arsenal-money-dont-matter-2-night.html

Any faith in my part is logical, you're speculating on Arsene's personal thoughts/beliefs which is way more out there. anyway I think we're at kinda opposite ends of the spectrum here :p

GorillaJu

So annoying seeing two hot japanese women like them, but the two times i have been I have been let down so much by how dirty they look. To quote the sing "i feel so lucky" to live around hot Korean women everyday

Lol I lived in Gangnam for a year and hated it. Korean girls are the worst. :(

We're not in a worse position regarding cash flows - we're about to renew all our sponsorship deals.
http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/arsenal-money-dont-matter-2-night.html

Any faith in my part is logical, you're speculating on Arsene's personal thoughts/beliefs which is way more out there. anyway I think we're at kinda opposite ends of the spectrum here :p

Yeah i have read that article a few times. I meant worse position in that are current cash flows are lower than they were previously. I also think we did not get the maximum potential out of those deals because we were not winning on the pitch.

Also I do feel the board is responsible for the failures as well as our transfer fixer who got owned by Mike Ashley.

Yep, we will have to diagree. I have been entrenched in my views that we have needed a new manager since 09.

L1NETT

Shanks who, with the financial pressure of having to compete with the two oil clubs and Man U, could have done a better job than Wenger did. Curious.

Salvadora

Yeah i have read that article a few times. I meant worse position in that are current cash flows are lower than they were previously. I also think we did not get the maximum potential out of those deals because we were not winning on the pitch.

Also I do feel the board is responsible for the failures as well as our transfer fixer who got owned by Mike Ashley.

Yep, we will have to diagree. I have been entrenched in my views that we have needed a new manager since 09.
Dick Law and Ivan Gazidis need to go well before Wenger, to be fair.

The former is an absolute joke and I don't know what the later does, but definitely nothing good.

Lol I lived in Gangnam for a year and hated it. Korean girls are the worst. :(

It is a game to them. Those gangnam girls are all about the money. Best to go to Hongdae at 3am on a Monday morning. that is when the young uni party girls are out.

I just find Koreans have a huge number of 6-9/10. Both have their 10s, but after the 10s japan just jumps down to belows 5s. All the best looking women in Japan, were actually korean haha

Shanks who, with the financial pressure of having to compete with the two oil clubs and Man U, could have done a better job than Wenger did. Curious.

Conte, Klopp, AVB would have all done a good job.
Mancini, Jose, maybe Pep

Answer me this.

Do you think Wenger did a better job than what SAF could have done????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom