• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuturusX

You're crazy.

Absolutely barmy. Lukaku's a nice bit of circumstance, and Barry's an astute pickup, but you're discrediting Moyes hugely. Everton have a far better squad this season yet I'd be willing to put serious money on them not matching their achievements of last season.

And you're overstating his achievements. So the truth probably lies in the middle. I've never liked the way Moyes set up his teams to play. But perhaps that was more about budget than anything.

Mastadon

Banned
And you're overstating his achievements. So the truth probably lies in the middle. I've never liked the way Moyes set up his teams to play. But perhaps that was more about budget than anything.

I dunno man when you consider where Everton were, and the amount of money they've spent, what Moyes achieved there is properly impressive. Martinez has the benefit of walking in to an extremely stable, well grounded club.

Martinez plays much nicer football though.

Strictly speaking I'm judging them both on style of play.

I think Martinez is the better manager in terms of creating a more attractive playing style, that's certainly an upgrade in my book.

I'll let other's judge on results.

Having said that...Martinez doesn't really have to do much more than finish consistently above 7th to match Moye's in terms of success.

They're employed to win games though, not just pass it about nicely.

It won't be easy for Martinez to match Moyes' achievements in the league.

Arnie

Everton played some really nice football last season, and it won them tons of games. And he's had to do it all under budget and limitation. I'm far from his biggest fan but he'll go down as an Everton great.

Lightning

Banned
Everton need to be in the hunt for top 4, at least at the heels of Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool or this season has to be considered a failure for Martinez. They achieved it last season, Everton lead Arsenal for the most part of last season. Only changed Feb/Mar.

He also needs Europa league if top 4 proves too hard.

rangersmad92

Neo Member
Everton need to be in the hunt for top 4, at least at the heels of Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool or this season has to be considered a failure for Martinez. They achieved it last season, Everton lead Arsenal for the most part of last season. Only changed Feb/Mar.

I wouldn't say that, if Everton finish 7 it will be a good season for them, there first with a new manager.

Nobody expects City, United, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea or even Liverpool to finish below them this season.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
ivGJavoVyZtZx.gif

Oh by the way, how was Full Metal Giak? :(

Arnie

Don't agree with that at all.

Spurs, Arsenal, and Liverpool are all at least a season into their current 'projects'. Martinez has come in with his own ideas, and his own tactical tweaks and it's only fair to afford him a bedding in period.

Saying that he's doing alright so far.

I fucking can't stand Newcastle. They're just useless.

flyover

Lukaku is comfortably better than Ba, Torres or Eto'o. Loaning him made no fucking sense whatsoever.

At the very least, he's proven himself to be a total machine in the Premier League. Even if you just play him in league games and use the others in the tournaments, why would you let him go?

Hixx

Oh by the way, how was Full Metal Giak? :(

After perhaps Sturridge has was best player on the pitch imo. Been excellent since Di Canio left to be fair to him. Looks like he is enjoying his new role too, really enjoying it.

-

Lot of talk about Murat Yakin (Basel manager) to SAFC tonight. Bit left field, obviously no idea what to think but his Basel side have caused a few upsets since he went there.

Arnie

After perhaps Sturridge has was best player on the pitch imo. Been excellent since Di Canio left to be fair to him. Looks like he is enjoying his new role too, really enjoying it.

-

Lot of talk about Murat Yakin (Basel manager) to SAFC tonight. Bit left field, obviously no idea what to think but his Basel side have caused a few upsets since he went there.

If he brings Salah with him, in this current climate, you'll win the league.

Mastadon

Banned

-

He's a handsome mofo

rangersmad92

Neo Member
Everton are making Newcastle look like a bunch of headless chickens with their passing just now.

Seem to have really settled with Martinez's style already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom