• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also annoyed that our wingers are getting picked for their defensive qualities rather than their attacking qualities. They're attackers for a reason.

MPW

1017097_10150469739239953_1265937038_n.jpg

i thought bale trademarked the celebration, no?

20131002dasdasftb_48.jpg

what an assist

Zabojnik

I'm also annoyed that our wingers are getting picked for their defensive qualities rather than their attacking qualities. They're attackers for a reason.

Well, at least they're actual wingers, shit as they may or may not be. We're playing with a RB and a DCM on the flanks.

Barzul

Arsenal is the savior of English football in Europe.
We are the shining light
That beacon of hope
The ship that saves us all from
Moyesy's cluelessness
Mourinho's arrogance
Joe Hart
And who is our captain?
One man, One Arsene Wenger!
We bring you beautiful football
Not that pale imitation Bayerlona
No this some different
More instinctive, more terrifying, more orgasmic
It is the combination of
Ramsey's smile, Giroud's face, Arteta's hair, Carzola's wink, Wilshere's tongue, Özil's eyes, Theo's mustache and the rest is all fucking Flamini
It's called Wengerball.

Ummm, what did I just type.

Well, at least they're actual wingers, shit as they may or may not be. We're playing with a RB and a DCM on the flanks.

Is Valencia really a winger these days? Doesn't attempt to beat his man. Always plays it back. If there is space he'll send a cross that hits the first defender. He's a rb now a days.

Welbeck didn't send one cross last night.

jbeBsDJR8sFEUM.png

jO8Z6kmFTvTaE.png

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/5-2013/matches/726878/summary#tabs-wrapper-anchor

That's why we're not creative. They also were fortunate enough to have Rafael and Evra as fullbacks. Nani and Shinji didn't have both of them at the same time, nor did they have RVP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLOInxEeFa0

Some very good moments. Needs more consistency in his overall play. Looks like he's not at Januzaj's level of development from last year. Januzaj has me excited because of the frightening consistency game after game no matter the level he's playing at. Pereira's got good potential he'll just need to iron out his overall game within the next 2 years to play for the first team. He's the type of midfielder we need at United. A guy that can create and drive forward.

Lightning

Banned
Still struggle to understand Torres getting away with that scratch. I wonder if that had been Luis Suarez if the FA would have seen it that way? Utterly inconsistent.

bjaelke

“The first 70 minutes we played some terrific football. We were so dominant against a big team in Europe. We didn't expect an easy game like that.

"It is a compliment to our team but we expected more from City. We didn't give them any space, we pressed them right up to the goalkeeper and they just kicked it away. Sometimes they gave us too much space and we used space well."
Robben dropping truth bombs

pappe

We were so shit last night it is embarrassing.

We had 1 shot on target the whole match. ONE!

And this is the same side which was the highest no. of goals scored in the league last night. Moyes is far too negative with our tactics. He is more concerned about not losing than winning.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Things I hated:

-long balls
-shooting from outside the box
-2 points dropped at home
-Isla
-Vucinic and Licht injuries in the first 50 minutes, which meant we wasted two non-tactical subs very early (we couldn't bring Marchisio to keep our lead in the last few mins)
-Our backline commits a grave mistake on weekly basis now
-3-5-2 is fine but not with our terrible wingbacks/wingers.

Things I liked:

-2 points dropped for Mancini
-Comeback kings
-Conte removing a CB and going all out with three attackers

llorente is shit, why did juve buy him?

Fuck off. He was one of our better players and changed the game after coming on. He did miss a golden chance though.

and he's still better than Benzema.

pappe

Most United bros have probably logged off but I'll just leave this question here as it's something I've been pondering for a bit.

After City won the league there was a really bad mood around Old Trafford. I know that there were some United fans questioning whether this was the last they'd see of United as a force in the Premier League. But then we signed RVP and it gave a massive boost to the fans and the players. We won the league after that and things settled down a bit.

Now we're in a post-Fergie landscape. Some of our legends are geting old and their performances are declining. The team is struggling a bit and questions are being asked about the suitability of David Moyes. Is signing a world class player the answer or does it make more sense to strengthen the team in a number of positions with good but not quite world class players?

Personally I think the team needs a morale boost similar to the one RVP gave us and the one Ozil is giving to Arsenal. It goes against what United have stood for in the past but imo we should look to spend big money on a player of undoubted quality.
But we have that almost world class level player in Kagawa, Rooney and RVP. Thats 3 Great players!!!

We dont need Glacticos. I think Moyes is putting in too much emphasis on the defensive abilities of the players while selecting them. The reason he has treated Kagawa so shit is because his defensive contribution is not good. Rooney in the same position contributes atleast somewhat in the defensively.

Lightning

Banned
Things I hated:

-long balls
-shooting from outside the box
-2 points dropped at home
-Isla
-Vucinic and Licht injuries in the first 50 minutes, which meant we wasted two non-tactical subs very early (we couldn't bring Marchisio to keep our lead in the last few mins)
-Our backline commits a grave mistake on weekly basis now
-3-5-2 is fine but not with our terrible wingbacks/wingers.

Things I liked:

-2 points dropped for Mancini
-Comeback kings
-Conte removing a CB and going all out with three attackers

Fuck off. He was one of our better players and changed the game after coming on. He did miss a golden chance though.

and he's still better than Benzema.
Problem with this result is it gives Gala the chance with 2 games against the easiest team in the group while you face 2 tough games against Madrid.

Hopefully Mancini will do his thing and fuck it up but Gala probably have a slight advantage because of the fixtures.

Same way Napoli have an advantage in our group because of the fixtures. Napoli face 2 games against Marsielle, Dortmund face 2 games against Arsenal. You'd expect Napoli to win both their games so pressure on the Arsenal/Dortmund games.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Problem with this result is it gives Gala the chance with 2 games against the easiest team in the group while you face 2 tough games against Madrid.

Hopefully Mancini will do his thing and fuck it up but Gala probably have a slight advantage because of the fixtures.

Yup, it's an uphill struggle for sure. :(

And eerily similar to what happened last season. A draw in Denmark followed by a draw at home to your 2nd place rivals. We had to take four points off Chelsea and win in Ukraine -_-

Antonio Conte “Now it’s an uphill struggle, but we must not get downhearted. We’ve got to fight with the dagger between our teeth. If we do well then we will go forward, if we don’t then it’ll mean the others were better and we tip our hats to them.”

I completely trust Antonio, even if we crash out early.

Koko

Banned
:lol Juve. Come on Drogba, score more.

Btw Madrid-GAF, so happy Marcelo is back. Not only does it feel more safe with him in the defense but he does often give very good crosses. This game shows it once again.

Too late but come on Suen Marcelo doesn't make our defense better, if anything it was Varane the one that made a difference. Now to our offense game.....Hnggggggg

Lightning

Banned
Old Trafford should scream for Kagawa !
Utd fans need to get over Kagawa. Rooney is better and more productive for United. Moyes just needs to adjust his tactics, not the personal. He's acting like he's still managing Everton but he now has talent that can win games on their own but you can't handcuff them like Moyes is currently doing.

Utd fans need to get over Kagawa. Rooney is better and more productive for United. Moyes just needs to adjust his tactics, not the personal. He's acting like he's still managing Everton but he now has talent that can win games on their own but you can't handcuff them like Moyes is currently doing.

You can't just ignore the personal. Expecting Valencia and Welbeck to create from the wings is foolish. I don't even think Kagawa is much of a creator. He's more of a guy that links up well with the attackers in the final third. He also has a nose for goals. Rooney isn't creative either. He's a pure finisher who can distribute when playing deep. Nani is the guy that can play 1-2s, send in great crosses, create his own offense and dribble past players. RVP can also create. Our current midfielders can't.

Also, it's not even that Kagawa is better than Rooney. Rooney is clearly better and more talented. It's just that his type of game is clearly different from Kagawa. You have to decide which player you want in the 10 role. As I have said, Rooney is the goal scorer. Rooney is a guy that works very hard and is a great distributor that will ping it to the wide players. Kagawa is the player with the more consistent first touch and much more likely to provide a through ball. Personally I would have Rooney out in the wing as he'll help out the defense more than Kagawa and can still create his own offense. I also think he can cross pretty well, much better than Kagawa.

The WBA game was a great example of Rooney trying to play like Shinji and failing. He's not great at playing a close quarters passing game.

Barzul

Think they should try to move away from the 442. Doubt Moyes will ever experiment though, it's one of the things I like about Rodgers is how willing he is to tweak Liverpool's formation

Manager

Pellegrini must now understand how naive it is to play a straight 4-4-2. It fucking doesnt work with Yaya, they get overrun. I wrote that in preseason and many who knew Yaya know it doesnt work. He is not mobile. And against teams like Bayern you cant have 2 pure strikers just waiting. I cant grasp what the fuck Pellegrini was thinking.

Then you have the board in the stands thinking "Hey cool we spent £22m on Jovetic and he doesnt make the bench". Its an insult to those paying to watch City play.

Pellegrini must now understand how naive it is to play a straight 4-4-2. It fucking doesnt work with Yaya, they get overrun. I wrote that in preseason and many who knew Yaya know it doesnt work. He is not mobile. And against teams like Bayern you cant have 2 pure strikers just waiting. I cant grasp what the fuck Pellegrini was thinking.

Then you have the board in the stands thinking "Hey cool we spent £22m on Jovetic and he doesnt make the bench". Its a fucking insult to those paying to watch City play.

Bayern's midfield is so strong that it's insane he decided to play with 2 strikers.

Clegg

It must be galling to spend nearly £80m on players and still get bummed at home.

United only had to spend less than half of that to get bent over

#morallysuperior

Alright FootyGAF, I need a De Jong shirt, but €105 on the Milan e-store is a bit too much. Any sites I should check? Probably Messi posted them thousands of times but I haven't saved them for some reason.

I already checked Kitbag, but it's €82,50 (free worldwide delivery though) and apparently you can't personalize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom