• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT7| The Ramsey Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Pfft. I said that Neymar would succeed if he went to Barcelona numerous times in this forum.

962.gif

My opinion on Nerman from day 1 was that he would be really good, but not as good as he is hyped up to be. I'll probably be wrong, but he'll have to be top 10 to do it.

Ray Hudson after Alexis' second goal: Every time Neymar gets the ball, Valladolid players get as nervous as a herd of moose around Sarah Palin. Neymar as cool as James Bond in a white tuxedo.

Zabojnik

He ain't getting sacked mang. We need the win.

As do we, which should make it an entertaining match. In theory. However it's Juve - Milan and it's not Coppa Italia, so ... Nope.

Serie A-GAF, should I be worried about Sassuolo tomorrow with their recent results against Lazio and Napoli?

Future Juve, Italy and international star Domenico Berardi is back from his ban. So yeah, you should be very worried. Marrone is still injured though, so not all is lost for Parma.

Manager

Wtf

Each to their own, you might think. René Meulensteen, formerly of Manchester United, has a pretty good reputation throughout the game. He is being tipped to replace Martin Jol if there is a change of manager at Fulham and his absence from Old Trafford has been identified as one of the factors to explain United's erratic start under David Moyes.

Yet Per Nielsen was the captain at Brondby when Meulensteen was manager and tells the story in his autobiography about how the Dutchman used to jump out in front of his players and shout "boo!" to prepare them for the noise of the crowd. Meulensteen changed walls from yellow (Brondby's colours) to green "to give the team hope" and there is another passage that conjures up some delightful memories of Gareth Cheeseman's self-motivational speech, into the bathroom mirror of his Travel Inn, before the Microsell '95 conference.

Meulensteen, according to Nielsen, prepared for a European tie against Frankfurt by standing in front of a whiteboard and asking his players to decide which animal they wanted to be. Nielsen went first, mostly to break the awkward silence, and asked to be a snake. Meulensteen did not like snakes. "Snakes are slow animals, we cannot have snakes in our defence, the Germans will outrun us." So Nielsen suggested a tiger. "That's perfect! Tigers are brave, fast and strong. That is exactly what we need from a captain." By the time he was finished, Meulsensteen had a crocodile, a fox, an elephant, a giraffe and pretty much half of Noah's Ark. "We are smart, fast and clever animals, we cannot lose." Nielsen remembers looking at the board and thinking: "We are sending an entire zoo on the field."
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/oct/05/english-football-john-beck-fa-coaching

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Probable XI: Buffon;Barz,Bon,Chiellini;Padoin, Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, Asa; Quag, Tevez.

Padoin replaces Isla LOOOOL! Weeeell that kinda sums up Isla's time with us innit? I fully expect his agent to complain (again) tomorrow.

Take a hint you spunkbubbles. Padoin serves only one purpose with Juve: to humiliate shit players.

Play like shit? PADOIN'D for a week.
Argo or Memento?
Memento. It's not even close.

Argo was barely a good movie.

Probable XI: Buffon;Barz,Bon,Chiellini;Padoin, Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, Asa; Quag, Tevez.

Padoin replaces Isla LOOOOL! Weeeell that kinda sums up Isla's time with us innit? I fully expect his agent to complain (again) tomorrow.

Take a hint you spunkbubbles. Padoin serves only one purpose with Juve: to humiliate shit players.

Play like shit? PADOIN'D for a week.

/QUOTE]

Magical Quags will do the job today.

Nice to see gervinho thriving in a league that's his level.

errr no. Gervinho always started well for Arsenal before Wenger lost faith. Garcia was his coach at Lille at knows how to get the best out of him. Also Gervinho has never played with anyone like Totti.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Roma director Walter Sabatini reveals he “would not have signed Gervinho” without an express demand from Rudi Garcia.

The striker was taken from Arsenal this summer for €8m despite a poor couple of seasons at Arsenal.

“I would not have signed Gervinho for any other Coach,” the director of sport told Sky Sport Italia. He commented at San Siro ahead of tonight’s Serie A clash with Inter.

“If a tactician requests a player for a certain role, then that’s different. Garcia specifically requested Gervinho, a player he had worked with and won with before at Lille.

“Because of that request we worked to bring Gervinho in. It was not an easy negotiation process, either.”

The Ivory Coast international has rediscovered his confidence at Roma, scoring three Serie A goals, while the team has a perfect record.

“Garcia did well in France, he won and above all his teams played entertaining football. That is why we chose him for this job.

-

Such a devastating performance. Juve were immense that night.

And they could not even maintain a 2-0 lead at home when Conte was out.

We had 25 shots that night.

If we had a decent striker like Giroud or Welbeck it would've ended 23-0.

The three London teams will feel that today is a must-win following Saturday's results - we can't afford to drop momentum.

These are our fixtures for this upcoming month.

WBA (A)
Norwich (H)
Crystal Palace (A)
Liverpool (H)
Man Utd (A)

I'd be happy with 11 points from these lot

Manager

I didn't know much of him, the blog post below was a good description of him for those interested, by Daniel Taylor:

Mostly, if you are anything like me, it is bemusement and that now familiar sense of wonder about the Football Association's ability to find itself in these positions. There are a lot of ways to describe Beck but the one that stuck during his management days was "Dracula" on the basis so many people thought he was sucking the blood out of football. I doubt if I am alone in thinking the sport had gradually turned its back on him.

Mastadon

Banned
I think it's a bit unfair to criticise Beck and the FA in all honesty. Just because he advocated a long-ball system 20 years ago doesn't mean that he hasn't changed his footballing philosophy since then. Even if he hadn't, coaches going for their badges will already have their own beliefs and styles. I doubt Beck is there to convert them to hoofing it up the pitch.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
FREE SHINJI KUN

Fellaini could be out for 3 months ?

With a wrist injury ?

Christ alive.

Footballers these days...

Decades ago, one of City's players broke his neck during a game at Wembley, and still managed to score a header in the dying minutes.

Vidal (an ignorant South American playing in an inferior league) orchestrated a comeback in London with one functional foot.

Ashley Young endured the crushing weight of gravity for 90 minutes (and Fergie time) last week.

Simone Pepe scored a crucial goal on Napoli despite having no brain cells.

Football is dead, and footballers killed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom